Overcast
Total Time = 2h 02m 24s
Overall Rank = 66/178
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Standard pre-race sushi dinner and early night
Event warmup:

Drove up to the venue early to pick up packet and arrived right before the full marathon started. There was much less of a crowd than I expected so I was able to quickly pick up my packet then spend just under an hour relaxing in my car. Closer to the half marathon start time I walked back to the start line and did some stretching and warm up jogging.
Run
  • 2h 02m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Having just ran a half marathon two weeks prior I was planning on going easy on this course. The elevation chart showed some rolling hills which could slow me down. From the start I settled into a comfortable pace and just enjoyed the scenery. Mile after mile of vineyards, scattered oak trees, and golden fields made for a scenic run.

The terrain well balanced, picked up speed on the downhill segments and slowed on the uphill portions. Mile 10 was all uphill, fortunately mostly gentle so I was able to cruise on up. Just before the peak was a steep segment which slowed a few runners to a walk. As I passed one (who was part of a youth academy team) I gave some advice given to me years ago during a triathlon: "keep those arms moving and your legs will follow!". Sure enough he started pumping his arms and his legs got back into gear and he passed me and ran up to the top of the hill.

As the finish line drew closer I was feeling the miles in my legs. I noticed my time was better than expected so I kept up my steady pace and finished strong.
What would you do differently?:

Overall a good run.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched legs, drank a bunch of water and ate some orange slices.

Event comments:

Beautiful course.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-10-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:48 | 13.1 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 66/178
Performance: Good
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/939974987
Course: Circular course through vineyards and fields.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-10-27 1:03 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: Paso Robles Harvest Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Paso Robles Harvest Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

El Paso Half Marathon

Started by sassafrasnm
Views: 796 Posts: 1

2010-03-14 1:41 PM sassafrasnm

Harvest Half Marathon

Started by TrevorC
Views: 1162 Posts: 1

2009-10-07 9:59 PM TrevorC

Harwich Cranberry Harvest Half Marathon

Started by LittleAl
Views: 1545 Posts: 1

2009-10-04 7:28 PM LittleAl

El Paso Half Marathon

Started by sassafrasnm
Views: 814 Posts: 1

2009-03-03 6:36 PM sassafrasnm

El Paso Half Marathon

Started by thepass
Views: 1200 Posts: 1

2008-03-21 11:18 AM thepass
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.