General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Price Increase $450->$750 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-29 4:36 PM

Subject: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Price Increase $450->$750
Ouch!!!
http://abc7news.com/1056604/

Might make getting into the event a little easier (lottery odds) but Damn!!!!

2015-10-29 7:12 PM
in reply to: calisurf

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Price Increase $450->$750
I've taken it off my bucket list of races. No way I'm paying $750 for a race that is around Olympic distance.
2015-10-29 7:44 PM
in reply to: EKH

Yep. Alcatraz was the one race that I felt was a must do race. But no way am I paying that price.
2015-10-29 9:15 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
I actually got accepted to do it twice ... this first time I was ramping up for IMCdA and got hit by a car at St. Anthony's, broke my collar bone and was out for both races.

As luck would have it I won the lottery a second time the following year - but I just plain came to my senses when I added up the cost to participate. By the time I added up the fixed costs such as airfare for wifey and me (who goes to SanFran alone?), shipping my bike, hotel and race fees on top of on-the-ground spending such as restaurants, ground transportation and so forth we were looking at a trip to Vail - all for an olympic-ish distance.

In the end, we went to Vail.

The full distance WTC level races fees for this quirky distance race will ensure that the odds are ever in your favor to get in.
2015-10-30 1:01 PM
in reply to: brian

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I understand the price increase was having to do away with the lottery program (same as IM). The loss of income from the lottery drove up the price. They will still sell out the race because it is an one in life time bucket list for so many.
2015-10-30 1:07 PM

User image

Glad I was able to do it in 2014 and 2015.  It's a fun and iconic race, but there are SO many other ways you can experience the same venue.  You can do the swim several times a year for about $100.   Bike, honestly, it's not worth  it and IMO dangerous in a couple areas.  I've seen a pretty bad accident in the same section two years in a row.  Crowded, narrow...   Just rent a bike and ride through GG Park, that's the only really nice part.   Run of course you can do for free.

Other race options include the Alcatraz Challenge (which runs across the GG Bridge, even more iconic than EFA) and the Triathlon at Alcatraz.

It's too bad because they are getting ripped apart on their facebook page and they won't even respond with anything new, other than the initial "well costs have gone up" drivel.  And now they are losing huge chunks of volunteers as the tri clubs say they won't do it.  They need a new PR firm at least.

2015-10-30 1:20 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ChrisM

Glad I was able to do it in 2014 and 2015.  It's a fun and iconic race, but there are SO many other ways you can experience the same venue.  You can do the swim several times a year for about $100.   Bike, honestly, it's not worth  it and IMO dangerous in a couple areas.  I've seen a pretty bad accident in the same section two years in a row.  Crowded, narrow...   Just rent a bike and ride through GG Park, that's the only really nice part.   Run of course you can do for free.

Other race options include the Alcatraz Challenge (which runs across the GG Bridge, even more iconic than EFA) and the Triathlon at Alcatraz.

It's too bad because they are getting ripped apart on their facebook page and they won't even respond with anything new, other than the initial "well costs have gone up" drivel.  And now they are losing huge chunks of volunteers as the tri clubs say they won't do it.  They need a new PR firm at least.

Reason #2458 not to have a FB page.

2015-10-30 2:06 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Originally posted by GODAWGS I understand the price increase was having to do away with the lottery program (same as IM). The loss of income from the lottery drove up the price. They will still sell out the race because it is an one in life time bucket list for so many.

There's a pretty length thread on ST with an article to follow.  I think someone did the math to show that wasn't the case.  In order for that to be the justification something like 20K + people would have had to enter the lottery.  The only word from the race was to keep the quality of the experience but that didn't really match up.  While a bucket list for me along with some friends that's now in the past.  If the race organizers would step up and respond to all the criticism I think that would go a long way and not doing so is just fueling anger. 

I agree it will probably still sell out for awhile but what seems to be an issue is volunteer support pulling out. 

2015-10-30 2:14 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by GODAWGS I understand the price increase was having to do away with the lottery program (same as IM). The loss of income from the lottery drove up the price. They will still sell out the race because it is an one in life time bucket list for so many.

There's a pretty length thread on ST with an article to follow.  I think someone did the math to show that wasn't the case.  In order for that to be the justification something like 20K + people would have had to enter the lottery.  The only word from the race was to keep the quality of the experience but that didn't really match up.  While a bucket list for me along with some friends that's now in the past.  If the race organizers would step up and respond to all the criticism I think that would go a long way and not doing so is just fueling anger. 

I agree it will probably still sell out for awhile but what seems to be an issue is volunteer support pulling out. 

Why is there anger?  I get that the price went up dramatically, but if they can get that price for the race, then why be angry?  And now volunteers are pullin gout because what they were doing was volunteering for a cheaper race and that somehow made it better, or different?  This kind of stuff makes me shake my head. 

We've all shown a complete willingness to spend a TON of money to race all over the world but now we get angry because it costs a few bucks more?  I would say that people who do triathlon have created this situation........they should be mad at the person in the mirror.

I bet they sell out easily.

2015-10-30 2:48 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Why is there anger?  I get that the price went up dramatically, but if they can get that price for the race, then why be angry?  And now volunteers are pullin gout because what they were doing was volunteering for a cheaper race and that somehow made it better, or different?  This kind of stuff makes me shake my head. 

We've all shown a complete willingness to spend a TON of money to race all over the world but now we get angry because it costs a few bucks more?  I would say that people who do triathlon have created this situation........they should be mad at the person in the mirror.

Because it's not just raising the price to make a profit it's perceived as greed due to the amount of the increase. 

Which is partly why it sounds like volunteers are pulling out.  Why support a race with your time for free when they seem to be a bit out of touch.  I'll save you the reply there that the race is in touch since they raised the price and will most likely sell out. But none the less if volunteer support from the local tri community withdraws that's a pretty good sign.

Yes I would say we are the ones to blame but it's good to see enough might finally be enough.

Again, I agree the race will probably sell out.

2015-10-30 2:51 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

This is why I never understood the die hard appeal of the official Escape from Alcatraz tri. Envirosports puts on an Alcatraz event (I could have sworn it was a tri a few years ago but at least now it's a swim/run) for way cheaper than the offical Escape from Alcatraz tri. 

2015-10-30 3:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Because it's not just raising the price to make a profit it's perceived as greed due to the amount of the increase. 

Which is partly why it sounds like volunteers are pulling out.  Why support a race with your time for free when they seem to be a bit out of touch.  I'll save you the reply there that the race is in touch since they raised the price and will most likely sell out. But none the less if volunteer support from the local tri community withdraws that's a pretty good sign.

Yes I would say we are the ones to blame but it's good to see enough might finally be enough.

I don't know.......compared to quite a few IM's that don't exactly live up to the "iconic" billing, 750.00 doesn't seem that bad to me......especially if I was going to travel across the country for it.  We seem to always start whining about entry fees when, really, it's usually the least of the expense of a destination race once airline and lodging are figured in.

I think peple who do triathlon just like to biatch and whine a lot.  We went to a couple of local races this year for the first time in maybe 3 years......they were chock full of prima donna whiners.  They cried about everything from course markings to quality of finsiher medals to after race food to parking to whatever.  It was laughable....and it's always the funniest when they start the "I won't be back next year" whine.....as if anyone cares if they come back or not.   There will be someone to take their place.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-10-30 3:10 PM
2015-10-30 3:34 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I'm glad I scratched this race off of my bucket list this year - made for a great family vacation that might not have happened if the race was so expensive.  I agree with ChrisM's evaluation of the race and course - if you're a swimmer you can so the swim for much less.  I did the entire swim the day before the race for $130..

2015-10-30 4:28 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Looks like there were 5624 athletes in the first drawing.  With only 2000 slots, there seems to be more than enough people willing to pay the price - at least once.  I suspect there will be far fewer repeat athletes going forward, though.

2015-10-30 5:52 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hook'em

Looks like there were 5624 athletes in the first drawing.  With only 2000 slots, there seems to be more than enough people willing to pay the price - at least once.  I suspect there will be far fewer repeat athletes going forward, though.

I'd say 80% of the comments on Facebook (and there's hundreds) are from folks saying they are not taking the lottery slot.  I think a lot of them entered the lottery because it was free without checking the entry fee.  Heck, I considered entering the lottery if only because once you've done it three times (done it twice) the odds greatly increase, and hoping they'd drop the entry fee.  But I didn't end up entering.

Also, this is the first tie the race has advertised (AFAIK) the number of entrants.  Sort of a thumbing of the nose to the complainers

It will still sell out, but I think the ratio of lottery entrants to paid entrants on the first round will be a lot lower than usual.  Second round will pick everyone else up.

And it's true, it's economics.  They charge what the market will bear.  I am sure someone at IMG worldwide crunched the numbers and concluded that there are at least 2000 people that would pay 750.

2015-10-30 6:07 PM

User image

I don't know.......compared to quite a few IM's that don't exactly live up to the "iconic" billing, 750.00 doesn't seem that bad to me......especially if I was going to travel across the country for it.  We seem to always start whining about entry fees when, really, it's usually the least of the expense of a destination race once airline and lodging are figured in.

I think people " IN GENERAL" just like to biatch and whine a lot.  We went to a couple of local races this year for the first time in maybe 3 years......they were chock full of prima donna whiners.  They cried about everything from course markings to quality of finsiher medals to after race food to parking to whatever.  It was laughable....and it's always the funniest when they start the "I won't be back next year" whine.....as if anyone cares if they come back or not.   There will be someone to take their place.

I don't think it's the $750price tag so to speak.  It's the this year we are going to charge you 65% more for essentially no reason other then greed.  And by not speaking out on the reasons why that's how it comes off.   I have no issue with some greed, deal with it regularly.  But what if WTC decided tomorrow all their races are bumping up to $1,250.   I think there would be a conversation there.

And I FTFY 

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2015-10-30 6:08 PM

2015-10-30 6:52 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro

I think people " IN GENERAL" just like to biatch and whine a lot.  We went to a couple of local races this year for the first time in maybe 3 years......they were chock full of prima donna whiners.  They cried about everything from course markings to quality of finsiher medals to after race food to parking to whatever.  It was laughable....and it's always the funniest when they start the "I won't be back next year" whine.....as if anyone cares if they come back or not.   There will be someone to take their place.

I don't think it's the $750price tag so to speak.  It's the this year we are going to charge you 65% more for essentially no reason other then greed.  And by not speaking out on the reasons why that's how it comes off.   I have no issue with some greed, deal with it regularly.  But what if WTC decided tomorrow all their races are bumping up to $1,250.   I think there would be a conversation there.

And I FTFY 

Admittedly, I haven't followed along with the reasons.....but I'd be surprised if some of that increase isn't due to increased costs for city permits, police officers, etc.  Where I live the prices have skyrocketed because the resources are pretty strapped due to the increase in OT from dealing with protests, etc.  Everyone here is charging more for permits.  I know the Bay area has had their share as well.

Since the race hasn't responded on FaceBook (God forbid) is everyone sure it's "no reason other than greed"? 

2015-10-30 7:00 PM

User image

They did initially speak on facebook.  When they thought it was one or two whiners they came up with paragraph they cut and paste to everyone.  Too lazy to go and find it, but something along the lines of "to keep up with increasing costs".    Recently this story has come out in the press (time, fortune, etc) and now they are talking about what it costs to put on a safe race for the number of participants.

Costs likely didn't rise 65% in a year, everyone knows it's to offset lottery money which was likely subsidizing the race.   I don't think it's greed.  I think most folks just want them to come clean, which they feel has not occurred.   I think a lot of locals feel possessive about he race and feel a bit betrayed.  It's like having an IM in your town for triathletes.  

Edited by ChrisM 2015-10-30 7:02 PM
2015-10-30 7:44 PM

User image

Pro

They did initially speak on facebook.  When they thought it was one or two whiners they came up with paragraph they cut and paste to everyone.  Too lazy to go and find it, but something along the lines of "to keep up with increasing costs".    Recently this story has come out in the press (time, fortune, etc) and now they are talking about what it costs to put on a safe race for the number of participants.

Costs likely didn't rise 65% in a year, everyone knows it's to offset lottery money which was likely subsidizing the race.   I don't think it's greed.  I think most folks just want them to come clean, which they feel has not occurred.   I think a lot of locals feel possessive about he race and feel a bit betrayed.  It's like having an IM in your town for triathletes.  

We raised our permit fees for road races and 1 triathlon by over 100% this year.  Some lobbied for over 200%. Our OT budget was destroyed with all of the protests/riots.   If you want to hire Off Duty Police officers to help with traffic control the going rate is nearly twice what it was a year ago.....they made enough money on call-outs....nobody is working more now unless it pays REALLY well.  Free Speech is not free.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-10-30 7:48 PM
2015-10-31 11:30 AM

Master
, California

My opinion, it's a couple issues:

1) What you said about the bike course is true - it's just plain dangerous.  If they could lower the number of participants, it would somewhat improve the situation.  The only other option is to *really* slow down the start process from the ferry, which might cause a problem with permits, etc (i.e. more $$$).

2) Call it greed, whatever, but as it stands, they have a hard cap on the # of participants due to the ferry size.  So the only way for them to make more money is to raise the fee.  And knowing San Fran, their overhead probably goes up quite a bit each year.

I am glad I did it once for the experience.  But because of that bike course, I wouldn't go back regardless of the price.

2015-10-31 7:55 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

My opinion, it's a couple issues:

1) What you said about the bike course is true - it's just plain dangerous.  If they could lower the number of participants, it would somewhat improve the situation.  The only other option is to *really* slow down the start process from the ferry, which might cause a problem with permits, etc (i.e. more $$$).

2) Call it greed, whatever, but as it stands, they have a hard cap on the # of participants due to the ferry size.  So the only way for them to make more money is to raise the fee.  And knowing San Fran, their overhead probably goes up quite a bit each year.

I am glad I did it once for the experience.  But because of that bike course, I wouldn't go back regardless of the price.

Mark, it's funny, as I was coming back over the Legion of Honor (foggy) area, and having passed the woman who went down apparently very badly (don't know if you saw that, I saw a similarly bad accident in the very same spot in 2014), I said to myself "All right, did it twice, I'm good and don't need to come back for this bike."   So the increase is academic for folks like you and me.

As for the costs, if true, I think IMG worldwide should come out and say "our X costs went up Y, we regret the increase and understand your frustration.  Add to that the decision to no longer charge for the lottery to avoid legal liability, which subsidized the race costs, and we had no choice but to increase the fees to cover all of our costs."   Obviously I'm not a PR person, but I guarantee you had they done that they would have blunted 75% of the criticism.  Do they have to do that?  Nope.  But if they want to have a relationship with their customers, they should.  The alternate view is screw you, we don't have to tell you why.  Tey can choose to do that, but that's a horrible message to send to a 100% service business.

By the way, Alcatraz Challenge - the swim/run, is a fantastic race, the run goes over the GG bridge and it's so much easier to fly in with just a wetsuit and some shoes!

Just my .02. 

2015-11-23 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin

Curious where you pulled the 5624 number from. I got selected in the 2nd round of lottery, just wondering how many years I'd have to wait again if I pass.
2015-11-23 4:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by Swimbikeron

Curious where you pulled the 5624 number from. I got selected in the 2nd round of lottery, just wondering how many years I'd have to wait again if I pass.

I thought it was from their facebook page, but might have been somewhere on their website.  I just went back to their facebook page to find it and I saw this post (not sure where that leaves you):

posted 42 mins. ago - Due to a system error, we will have to postpone announcing the 2nd round random drawing winners. Those who have already registered this morning will not be affected and their slots are still confirmed. We will keep you updated on when the new list will be announced. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].

Edited by Hook'em 2015-11-23 4:24 PM
2015-12-03 2:56 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Did anyone else see this?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmEeFGVhMEM
Isn't that pretty much right where athletes jump off the boat at the start of the race? I think I'd DNS if I looked over the edge of the boat and saw that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Price Increase $450->$750 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

450+ miles...Time to buy new shoes? Pages: 1 2

Started by leftrunner
Views: 2161 Posts: 28

2012-04-28 3:53 AM leftrunner

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon

Started by RightToPlayUSA
Views: 757 Posts: 1

2012-01-19 11:42 AM RightToPlayUSA

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Registration... Pages: 1 2

Started by bradaskins
Views: 4238 Posts: 44

2011-10-04 11:33 PM ubersteiny

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by bradaskins
Views: 4946 Posts: 44

2011-05-02 7:40 PM mcommend

Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon

Started by nbo10
Views: 780 Posts: 5

2005-07-18 6:37 AM nliedel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 4
When shopping for triathlon bike aerobars, considerations range from adjustability, comfort, aerodynamics, weight, and of course, price.

date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
comments : 0
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.
date : July 4, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Alcatraz 2005: Swim triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.