General Discussion Race Reports! » The North Face Dirty Feet Tunnel Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The North Face Dirty Feet Tunnel Run - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Penticton, British Columbia
Canada
9C / 48F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 30m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 65-69
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived early and just waited for the race start.
Event warmup:

Decided on where I wanted to start my run from. I moved well back in the crowd knowing I would quickly be passed by everyone and then I'd be on my own to run my own race.
Run
  • 2h 30m 20s
  • 20 kms
  • 07m 31s  min/km
Comments:

Running uphill for 10km was a fair struggle. I anticipated it would take me 80 minutes which is slow but the best I could manage. At the turn around my Garmin showed a time of 1:18:54 so I was quite pleased to be under 80 minutes.
On the return run as soon as I turned around I immediately felt better. My pace picked up (it is downhill) and I felt like I was getting a second wind.

There weren't many people behind me. Maybe 8 to 10 but I encouraged each of them to press on. At least two were hurting. I did see them finish later on.

At 12km I was approaching the tunnel and I rolled my right ankle quite badly and it took a couple moments to decide I was okay and hadn't sprained my ankle. I was able to continue running and maintain my pace.

I stopped at the tunnel aid station (wine and chocolate only) and emptied my runners of gravel. I was planning to keep running but I just decided I had too much gravel to keep running with it in my shoes.

Shortly after the tunnel I passed a fresh pile of bear scat (poop!) in the middle of the trail. Oh, yay! I wasn't too concerned about it but I did pay a bit more attention to the brush on either side of the trail.
What would you do differently?:

I did the best I could. I knew I'd be near to last but I just wanted to do it for myself. My 65th birthday and I ran 20k. I am pleased. Next year I will be stronger and faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down was just me walking around to cool off. I was very hungry because the trail logistics prevented aid stations except at the tunnel and the turnaround point. So I was very disappointed to learn that the promised chili and warm apple cider were all gone. I'm pretty easy going but this time I was very disappointed. Fortunately I had brought my own gatorade, Clif bars and Recoverite.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own lack of run fitness.

Event comments:

I'd looked forward to this run for quite awhile and it was a good run for me to test myself. It isn't a big run but the people were friendly and supportive. I suspect they weren't prepared for so many people to show up so the post race suffered but I was able to get what I wanted out of the race. I might run it again next year but I will provide for myself for post race nutrition.

Last updated: 2015-11-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:30:20 | 20 kms | 07m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Running up an old railway bed at a steady 2% gradient then turning around at the midway point and running back downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-11-01 11:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: The North Face Dirty Feet Tunnel Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The North Face Dirty Feet Tunnel Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The North Face Endurance Challenge 50 KM (Run - Ultra Marathon)

Started by astro
Views: 1136 Posts: 1

2010-01-18 3:58 PM astro

North Face Endurance Challenge

Started by Daloraev
Views: 1030 Posts: 1

2008-10-28 9:42 PM Daloraev

North Face Challenge

Started by JHelgeson
Views: 861 Posts: 2

2008-10-27 7:30 PM tripletmom01

The North Face Endurance Challenge

Started by swbkrun
Views: 1837 Posts: 10

2008-05-15 12:52 PM swbkrun

The North Face Endurance Challenge - 50 km

Started by poweredbyfear
Views: 1347 Posts: 3

2007-12-11 11:26 PM joebowler
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?