of 4

2015-11-05 1:31 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Run 100 miles in NOV
Originally posted by trijamie

12 for me so far. Unfortunately I missed my run today because I was busy packing and moving. How about 5000 miles? Sounds like quite an effort eh? Well while I was driving on a country road today I saw this guy on the shoulder pushing some kind of custom made cart with a big American flag sticking out of his backpack. No way I was going to breeze by this dude. I knew he had a story and I wanted to hear it. So I pulled over and chatted with this guy, Ryan Weldon, who is a Marine Corps vet, walking 5000 miles around the US to raise money and awareness for PTSD. God I love meeting these people. Earlier in the year I posted on BT about the 93 year old ww2 vet running across the country, and now I meet this guy in the same spot of Texas. It must be some kind of hot zone for people on serious charitable journeys. Anyway I was so stoked for this guy that I drove back to my house, picked a bunch of pears off the tree, bought a bunch of dark chocolate and drove back to find him so I could give him a care package and a donation for his journey. Gotta love inspirational people like that.

Keep on runnin strong

Cool!!!

2015-11-05 5:11 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by popsracer

That is a long way.  Where are you moving to?

Either back to Vancouver or back to Louisiana. For now it's back to the ranch in Texas to make a decision and get some fresh air and beautiful country sunsets.

2015-11-05 8:08 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

5 miles yesterday and 7 tonight puts me at 24.  First run of the Fall running in the dark after work.  I hate running in the dark.

2015-11-06 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

5 miles yesterday and 7 tonight puts me at 24.  First run of the Fall running in the dark after work.  I hate running in the dark.

Me too! Even if I'm wearing a headlamp.

16.5 miles for me.
2015-11-06 11:57 AM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by kloofyroland

Me too! Even if I'm wearing a headlamp. 16.5 miles for me.

I've been meaning to ask you.. what is "kloofy"?

2015-11-07 12:27 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Me too! Even if I'm wearing a headlamp. 16.5 miles for me.

I've been meaning to ask you.. what is "kloofy"?

It's a online nickname I thought about somehow during a dream and I somehow remembered it after waking up many years ago (late 90s??).

2015-11-07 12:08 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Yea running in the dark sucks. I was looking at headlamps yesterday and they all had a battery life that was less than some of my runs take me to complete.

2015-11-07 6:53 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by trijamie

Yea running in the dark sucks. I was looking at headlamps yesterday and they all had a battery life that was less than some of my runs take me to complete.

Try this model Black Diamond:

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/headlamps-and-lanterns/sprinter...

I have an older model but with the same setup for front and rear lighting. Rechargeable and still working well after 4 years of regular use!

2015-11-07 7:06 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

10 very windy, rainy, cold miles today puts me at 34.

I use a Magicshine headlamp.  I run trails in the dark through the winter so I need something super bright. The Magicshine is 550 lumens but the battery life is only about two hours and with a li-ion battery it does not dim it just shuts off completely when it gets low.  I got stuck in a storm in the dark along a very technical ridge trail when I learned this.

2015-11-07 7:30 PM

Not doing any long runs this month, so this will be a challenge to get to 100. Need to make sure I keep up with the frequency if I want to hit the goal. 22.6 for the week.
2015-11-07 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

I use a Magicshine headlamp.  I run trails in the dark through the winter so I need something super bright. The Magicshine is 550 lumens but the battery life is only about two hours and with a li-ion battery it does not dim it just shuts off completely when it gets low.  I got stuck in a storm in the dark along a very technical ridge trail when I learned this.

How'd you make it outta there?

2015-11-07 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Marathon today. Missed BQ by 9 min (Damn) but big PR. I knew a 20 min PR to BQ would be hard but decided to not let fear keep me from trying. Temps were 72 at beginning and I think stupid me didn't drink enough. I'm from Florida but it was still hot and humid. Still happy with many things. Mental state, 10+ min PR. But I need to figure out what I'm doing during the 3rd quarter. 3rd AG award which shocked me.

I'm at 34.8 so far this month. Silly me signed up for a HM next weekend to help a friend...........she didn't sign up. So I'll have a sloooowwwwww HM next weekend and just try not to injury myself. Will DNF if need to.

Tell me folks. Is Mar 5 too soon to make another BQ attempt? Plans are to run HM slow next weekend. Then slowish in mid Dec to pace a friend for 2 10K lops of a 50 miler for her. Slow mary in Feb or I can drop to HM if needed. Thoughts?

I'm so bad on the light. Normally I run in known neighborhoods and don't wear a light. But I did buy a light for 8 hours with AAA batteries. Heavy as all get-out and pulls my cap down constantly but usually only run with it for 1 to 1.5 hours.
2015-11-07 11:39 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Congrats on the PR!! And getting that close to a BQ is still really damn impressive.

2015-11-07 11:56 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

How'd you make it outta there?

I was running very early in the morning before the sun came up.  After taking a pretty hard fall I waited for dawn.

2015-11-08 12:10 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Pink Socks Marathon today. Missed BQ by 9 min (Damn) but big PR. I knew a 20 min PR to BQ would be hard but decided to not let fear keep me from trying. Temps were 72 at beginning and I think stupid me didn't drink enough. I'm from Florida but it was still hot and humid. Still happy with many things. Mental state, 10+ min PR. But I need to figure out what I'm doing during the 3rd quarter. 3rd AG award which shocked me. I'm at 34.8 so far this month. Silly me signed up for a HM next weekend to help a friend...........she didn't sign up. So I'll have a sloooowwwwww HM next weekend and just try not to injury myself. Will DNF if need to. Tell me folks. Is Mar 5 too soon to make another BQ attempt? Plans are to run HM slow next weekend. Then slowish in mid Dec to pace a friend for 2 10K lops of a 50 miler for her. Slow mary in Feb or I can drop to HM if needed. Thoughts? I'm so bad on the light. Normally I run in known neighborhoods and don't wear a light. But I did buy a light for 8 hours with AAA batteries. Heavy as all get-out and pulls my cap down constantly but usually only run with it for 1 to 1.5 hours.

Congrats on a great race Pam.  PR and placing in AG make for a super day.

In my opinion, I don't think March is too soon by a long shot.  Four months is a very long training block building off this race.  I don't think I'd run a slow mary a month before a BQ attempt though.  I'd want to keep to my training and even a slow mary is going to have a certain amount of taper and recovery when you would be at a pretty critical stage of training.  Where is the March 5th race?  If temps are cooler, you could pick up a fair amount of time.  72 is pretty warm.

2015-11-08 8:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Originally posted by Pink Socks Marathon today. Missed BQ by 9 min (Damn) but big PR. I knew a 20 min PR to BQ would be hard but decided to not let fear keep me from trying. Temps were 72 at beginning and I think stupid me didn't drink enough. I'm from Florida but it was still hot and humid. Still happy with many things. Mental state, 10+ min PR. But I need to figure out what I'm doing during the 3rd quarter. 3rd AG award which shocked me. I'm at 34.8 so far this month. Silly me signed up for a HM next weekend to help a friend...........she didn't sign up. So I'll have a sloooowwwwww HM next weekend and just try not to injury myself. Will DNF if need to. Tell me folks. Is Mar 5 too soon to make another BQ attempt? Plans are to run HM slow next weekend. Then slowish in mid Dec to pace a friend for 2 10K lops of a 50 miler for her. Slow mary in Feb or I can drop to HM if needed. Thoughts? I'm so bad on the light. Normally I run in known neighborhoods and don't wear a light. But I did buy a light for 8 hours with AAA batteries. Heavy as all get-out and pulls my cap down constantly but usually only run with it for 1 to 1.5 hours.

Congrats on a great race Pam.  PR and placing in AG make for a super day.

In my opinion, I don't think March is too soon by a long shot.  Four months is a very long training block building off this race.  I don't think I'd run a slow mary a month before a BQ attempt though.  I'd want to keep to my training and even a slow mary is going to have a certain amount of taper and recovery when you would be at a pretty critical stage of training.  Where is the March 5th race?  If temps are cooler, you could pick up a fair amount of time.  72 is pretty warm.

HaHa, last night I posted that question when I was well into a bottle of wine and still had the adrenaline flowing from the race. Today, I read your reply about 6:30 in the morn when it took me 20 minutes to crawl out of bed from all of the race soreness. When I saw that you said Yes, all I could think was "Damn, I didn't want that answer." (Does anyone else hurt all over the next day after a race? Dog, not sure if I even want to run again. Ugh.) But Steve, I appreciate the advice. Still thinking about it. The race would be in Albany Ga and would be my birthday. Weather in Ga/Fl is cray-cray in early March - could be 90, could be 30, could be horrible storms, probably will have near hurricane type winds but may be calm as it can be. Right now, my body does.not.want.to.do.it. My brain knows it might be a good time tho. My cousin planned her big wedding for that night and part of me is screaming that she shouldn't have planned her wedding on my BD so it would serve her right if I show up nasty, sweaty, and sore for her wedding. (Ok I'll take a shower beforehand. But I'll still be sore. And cranky.) But you are completely right that I shouldn't do a slow mary the month before. If, if, if I do the BQ attempt in March, I will drop down to the HM in Feb and use as a training run. Argh, I really just wanted to fart around for a while.

2015-11-09 10:25 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Was out of town Thursday and Friday.

Got 3 miles in on Friday though. Sprint Tri yesterday with another 3. That puts me at 22.

Tri season officially over, one of my goals is to try to improve speed.
2015-11-09 11:22 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Wow! BQ by 9 minutes! Soooo close! Congrats on the new PR though! Super awesome achievement.

Final taper week here I am. Trying my best to stay calm and keeping things in perspective.

23.88 miles so far. Might get to 50 with the race miles?
2015-11-10 8:52 PM

User image

24.05 after tonight's run. Not quite on pace for 100, but I'll try to pick it up.
2015-11-11 9:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

?

Originally posted by johnthecat Was out of town Thursday and Friday. Got 3 miles in on Friday though. Sprint Tri yesterday with another 3. That puts me at 22. Tri season officially over, one of my goals is to try to improve speed.

After my race this weekend, I'm going to change my run sessions a bit to improve speed as well.

There are a few local 5k's over the next few months that I'll direct some focus to.  It is a perfect time of the year with it being dark after work to get some speedwork in at a lit track.  I've always loved running on the track for some reason.  In addition to trying to keep my overall mileage up, I'll do a weekly session of 200's and 400's with full recovery to work on form and efficiency.  I'll gradually add some tempo work in during the week and after four or five weeks start replacing the reps with hard intervals like 4 x 1000m with minimal recovery.

A couple of 4 mile runs this week puts me at 47 miles.

Are you starting to go crazy tapering for IMAZ Roland?

Edited by popsracer 2015-11-11 9:13 PM
2015-11-11 11:20 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Are you starting to go crazy tapering for IMAZ Roland?

Just a little but keeping calm and positive. I had an anxiety dream Monday night about being lost and gathering stuff before the swim start thinking I'd make the swim cutoff but only to realize I wouldn't even if I swam my butt off, hehehe.

I have a short bike and run session tomorrow and skipped my short swim tonight because it was very cold and windy outside and I didn't wanna risk getting a cold or something. Gonna do some ST though.

The weather is predicted to be very nice! Yay! :D

2015-11-12 12:01 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by popsracer Are you starting to go crazy tapering for IMAZ Roland?
Just a little but keeping calm and positive. I had an anxiety dream Monday night about being lost and gathering stuff before the swim start thinking I'd make the swim cutoff but only to realize I wouldn't even if I swam my butt off, hehehe. I have a short bike and run session tomorrow and skipped my short swim tonight because it was very cold and windy outside and I didn't wanna risk getting a cold or something. Gonna do some ST though. The weather is predicted to be very nice! Yay! :D

Good luck.  We'll be rooting for you.

2015-11-12 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Originally posted by popsracer Are you starting to go crazy tapering for IMAZ Roland?
Just a little but keeping calm and positive. I had an anxiety dream Monday night about being lost and gathering stuff before the swim start thinking I'd make the swim cutoff but only to realize I wouldn't even if I swam my butt off, hehehe. I have a short bike and run session tomorrow and skipped my short swim tonight because it was very cold and windy outside and I didn't wanna risk getting a cold or something. Gonna do some ST though. The weather is predicted to be very nice! Yay! :D

+1 Glad the weather is nice. Have an awesome race!!!!
2015-11-12 1:39 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Originally posted by Pink Socks

+1 Glad the weather is nice. Have an awesome race!!!!

Good luck. My neighbor across the street and a friend of his are flying up there to volunteer. I'll tell him to give you an extra cheer if he sees you
2015-11-14 4:41 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

ROLAND! ROLAND! ROLAND!!

Can't wait to follow on the athlete tracker tomorrow.

I'm up to 77 for the month, and just broke 900 for the year, woohoo!

ROLAND! ROLAND!

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Run 100 miles in NOV Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Run 100 miles in SEPT Pages: 1 2

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 5033 Posts: 31

2015-10-01 6:13 PM kloofyroland

100 miles run in June Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by ceilidh
Views: 10873 Posts: 92

2015-06-30 9:21 PM trijamie

February 100 Mile Run Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by MSU_Brad
Views: 9894 Posts: 75

2014-03-03 9:58 AM MechEChick

January 100 Mile Run Challenge! Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by dtoce
Views: 24400 Posts: 290

2014-02-04 9:15 AM MechEChick

The 100+ mile club - July running studs/studettes ..... Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Daremo
Views: 10825 Posts: 84

2006-07-19 7:38 PM celena
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 15, 2013
author : JeffY
comments : 0
JeffY reviews this rear water bottle carrier on a variety of saddles.

date : February 1, 2012
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 2
Less drag than frame bottles
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.