General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on tubulars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-03 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Training on tubulars
the rear hub on my regular alloy clincher wheels needs some work so I threw on my race wheels for my ride this weekend. They are Hed3 tubulars and I re-learned how much I love these wheels. Just wondering how may here ride regularly on tubulars?

2015-11-03 12:34 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Subject: RE: Training on tubulars

I'd never do it.  Probability of punctures is way too high where I live.  Don't ever want to carry a spare tire instead of a tube, and don't want to mess with glue on a regular basis.

2015-11-03 4:15 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Training on tubulars

35 years ago I commuted on them.  The percentage of tubular riders in those days was much higher, so tires intended for everyday riding were available.  I even unstitched patched and restitched the tires if I got a flat on a practically new tire.  The tires I used were pretty durable.  It is not hard to glue them on.  It's all in the thumbs.

I rode a pair of Zipp 404s tubulars for general riding for the last couple of years since otherwise I would have never ridden them.  I don't race.  The riding for that particular bike was about 4 or 5 times a month, mostly in the summer.  I have other bikes that are ridden more. That said, I will sell the 404s tubulars pretty cheap because I replaced them with 303 clinchers.  

TW

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on tubulars Rss Feed