General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Losing Fitness Fast!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-05 1:14 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Subject: Losing Fitness Fast!!
I have been struggling with some Back and Hip issues and have not been able to do much exercise for the last two months. I went for a run last night since you never know when the last outdoor run of the season will be. It is very discouraging to see how far my fitness had fallen. I am a slow runner anyway due to an accident I was in, but this was unbelievable. Sorry for the rant, just trying to vent a little. Anyone have good stories about coming back stronger than ever?

2015-11-05 2:17 PM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Losing Fitness Fast!!
Hopefully it will come back quick. I missed most of the last year due to illness, injury, surgery, etc. I'm finally ramping back up, and it seems to be coming along quicker than expected. Possible combo of experience, knowledge of what/how to do it, and desire to get fit again helping things along.

Keep at it, you'll get there.
2015-11-06 8:25 AM

If you want to come back quickly you need to make sure you are back together again before jumping into your training. The best way to slow your progress is to have continual setbacks/re-injuries. When you are back to full strength, don't worry about contrasting your fitness to where it was before the injury just focus on improving your current fitness &/or abilities. In the grand scheme of training it is not all bad to have periods of low fitness. Some theories on training hypothesis that you have the opportunity to gain greater fitness by allowing a falloff then building to a higher peak. Get healthy, then follow a good sound training method.
2015-11-06 9:31 AM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. Right now I am just hoping to get back to being completely healthy.
2015-11-06 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Many people have you just need to be smart about it. Often times people freakout, then rush getting back into things and only make the situation worse.

Find out what specifically caused your injury
Fix it
Get healthy
Slowly ramp up training
Crush it

Don't put a timeline on expectations just go with what your body allows. Once you put that due date of health on, that is when people start to force things when they shouldn't.
2015-11-06 4:43 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Try 5 months forced off from over training

You can come back smarter if you paid attention to what got you laid up in the first place. That will make you stronger.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Losing Fitness Fast!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Losing Fitness?

Started by keepitup
Views: 1161 Posts: 11

2009-01-20 8:45 AM Cajuntriguy

Lose of fitness

Started by EleK
Views: 1205 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 9:21 PM etccallhome82

LA Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Bally's, Snap Fitness? Pages: 1 2

Started by vonschnapps
Views: 12514 Posts: 31

2015-02-17 8:18 PM Miles around Midtown

Losing fitness

Started by carolna33
Views: 1105 Posts: 6

2008-05-14 10:32 AM cordova61

Losing fitness after surgery?

Started by KathyG
Views: 1456 Posts: 16

2007-10-14 8:59 AM Angeb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : March 20, 2014
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
If I were to take 3-4 months off from training, in which I would probably lose most of my fitness, would I get back to my former level quicker, or would it take me just as long as the first time?
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : September 3, 2006
author : fatboy38
comments : 10
I've come a long way in one year; 85 pounds lost and fitness gained. I think I feel truly alive for the first time in a long time.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.