General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in Rain Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-06 1:15 PM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: Running in Rain Advice
I've got a 10k tomorrow that looks like it will be in a steady rain (1.5" in the next 24 hours) w/ temps in the upper 60s.

I've run on wet roads and even in misty conditions, but nothing like this. I'm looking for a little advice to prevent/avoid issues with blisters and chafing. Some questions I have…

1) Short or no shirt?
2) Socks or no socks? (I run regularly without them, but prefer them on runs beyond 10k.)
3) Will body glide help in the nether regions or is the race short enough that it won't matter?
4) Hat or no hat?

Any other tips you can provide would be much appreciated.

Edited by marti038 2015-11-06 1:16 PM

2015-11-06 1:29 PM
in reply to: marti038

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Running in Rain Advice

The hat will help keep the rain from hitting your eyes which gets pretty annoying after a while. You won't have to be squinting the whole time.

Have you ever run without socks before? If not, I wouldn't try it on race day. Apply some body glide or vaseline and it can only help. There's no real reason to NOT apply it.

As far as the shirt goes, a soaked cotton T will be heavy, do you have anything like a tight race jersey? Some races also require you to wear a shirt so you might want to check. And aside from the obvious "Be Careful" advice when running in the rain, HAVE FUN! Running in the rain is one of life's best simple pleasures.

Best of luck.

2015-11-06 1:41 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

With temps in the upper 60's I'd be wearing a tech tank top or singlet.  With temps in the upper 60's, no need for much clothing.  The less to absorb water the better.

Do what you prefer.  Kind of a toss up.  For a race this short I'd be inclined to run sockless especially if you have been running regularly without them.  Again, for a race this short (and per your logs you look to be a pretty fast dude) I'm inclined to go minimal.

Body glide can never hurt.  Doubt you'd need it but if you want to be on the safe side do it.

Visor to keep the rain out of the eyes would be my preference.

Good luck. 

2015-11-06 1:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by marti038

I've got a 10k tomorrow that looks like it will be in a steady rain (1.5" in the next 24 hours) w/ temps in the upper 60s.

I've run on wet roads and even in misty conditions, but nothing like this. I'm looking for a little advice to prevent/avoid issues with blisters and chafing. Some questions I have…

1) Short or no shirt?
2) Socks or no socks? (I run regularly without them, but prefer them on runs beyond 10k.)
3) Will body glide help in the nether regions or is the race short enough that it won't matter?
4) Hat or no hat?

Any other tips you can provide would be much appreciated.

If I was in the race...
Light running shirt...no cotton.
no socks
no glide. I only use for long runs.
Yes on Hat

Have some dry clothes to change into after race.

Remember how you played in the rain as a child. Enjoy and don't sweat the rain.
2015-11-09 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I'll buck the trend and recommend socks.

I wear smart wool running socks and once wet they actually provide a warm sensation yet even in the dead of winter and slush I don't feel the cold waterlogged feel I've had with other tech socks and the worst of all time, cotton...

Additionally because of all the moisture, without socks you might get chafing you otherwise wouldn't as the sock layer should help prevent blisters.

As for the shirt, I personally would wear a lightweight tech shirt to minimize the soaking effect.  However the good ones will suck to your skin anyway and you won't feel it flopping around too badly..

Definitely yes on the hat.  Good running hats have a slightly longer bill that allows the drips to fall off away from your face once the hat is saturated.  You don't want to deal with rain in your eyes for the whole run... And if the rain is coming down sideways, you just adjust the angle of your bill and you can almost always eliminate the rain from pelting your eyes.  If you wear contacts you'll be even more pleased as I've had a few direct hits with a big drop of rain that initially I thought popped my lens out...

As a previous poster said regarding remembering what it was like to play in the rain as a kid, I agree 100%.  I've always enjoyed rainy events, I actually would prefer a rain soaked race over 90+ degree temperatures any day...

2015-11-09 10:53 AM

User image

Portland, Oregon
I'm no stranger to running in the rain...I love a hat to keep the water out of my eyes, and I second the previous recommendations to wear lightweight tech fabric. I usually go with SmartWool socks, too, as they hold up pretty well even when wet. And DEFINITELY have dry clothes ready after the race. Have fun!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in Rain Advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need Bike in the rain advice

Started by dpg31
Views: 1252 Posts: 9

2013-10-17 9:03 AM RedCorvette

Advice for Racing in the Rain

Started by pinktrigal
Views: 1387 Posts: 15

2008-05-30 8:30 AM KKoole

running in rain advice?

Started by JBrashear
Views: 1084 Posts: 12

2007-12-09 5:30 AM brown_dog_us

Tri'ing in the rain, any tips and advice?

Started by barqhead
Views: 1022 Posts: 17

2007-04-12 6:29 PM barqhead

Need cold/rain cycling advice Pages: 1 2

Started by hangloose
Views: 3426 Posts: 26

2006-05-13 8:50 PM Whizzzzz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.
date : January 8, 2010
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.

date : October 9, 2009
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.
date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???

date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips