General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GR area - SS CX bike - course recommendations wanted Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-10 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: GR area - SS CX bike - course recommendations wanted

I recently picked up a Masi CX SS 41x18 that I'd like to try out on some trails (or anything approximating what a CX course would look like) without killer climbs or highly technical handling requirements.  I've got 100+ road miles on it so I'm becoming quite familiar with what it takes to climb however that's on pavement, I'm sure it will be harder on the various trail types (gravel, dirt, loose sand etc.).

I'm a strong cyclist but a neophyte on anything but pavement so I'm trying to be as aware as I can be.

I was told Luton park is a great place for me to try based on what I mentioned above, so I'm wondering if anyone can share some specifics on the course(s), their experiences, advice etc.  Also if there's other parks you like more, like less, as much etc., please share.

Also, I ride clip-in 105's, should I consider a toe cage, or flat pedals initially?

Thank you

2015-11-16 2:36 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Subject: RE: GR area - SS CX bike - course recommendations wanted
Mike - I've never entered a CX race, but Luton would probably serve you well. I live a few miles away and ride it as often as possible, which isn't often enough of late. If you haven't been, it's one big loop (blue) that features 4 or 5 connector loops. To start I would stick with main blue loop and the green beginner loop for at least a lap to get the feel of it. Once you are a little more confident you could try some of the intermediate loops (orange I believe). Black, red, and yellow are going to be the most technical, and even those aren't too bad, with the biggest obstacle for me being sharp turns into an uphill.

Here's a map:

http://www.therockfordnetwork.com/download/luton-park-trail-map.pdf

The map is a little out of date... the new trail head is on 10 mile... if you head east out of Rockford you can't miss it (on the right).

Feel free to hit me up with any other questions. I'm struggling with some IT band issues and haven't been able to run or ride, but might be up to meeting you out there sometime this week, assuming I can find my mountain bike.
2015-11-17 11:30 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: RE: GR area - SS CX bike - course recommendations wanted

Hey Toefuzz - thanks for the information.

Depending on the weather this weekend, I'd be up for riding Sunday sometime.  Saturday could be a longshot option however it would be late afternoon.

Since my CX bike is single speed, climbing is my only unknown.  I've got 150+ miles on it on White Pine and some road riding around my neighborhood so I'm familiar with climbing on a consistent surface.  No idea what it will be like on anything loose etc.. Should be fun...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GR area - SS CX bike - course recommendations wanted Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road bike rental in SW Michigan (Kzoo/GR area)?

Started by thebigb
Views: 1071 Posts: 8

2013-05-06 1:21 PM MIKEWOODS

Bike fit in GR

Started by leedyb
Views: 904 Posts: 3

2013-03-07 9:00 PM iLOVEwaffles

Who is in for GR TRI? Pages: 1 2

Started by drbnd
Views: 3908 Posts: 43

2013-06-11 11:23 AM kevinneumann

5/3 25k today in GR