General Discussion Race Reports! » Morro Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Morro Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morro Bay , California
United States
All Out Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 06m 52s
Overall Rank = 84/128
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 13/20
Pre-race routine:

Went to packet pickup then tried a new sushi place for dinner. They were featuring locally fresh caught halibut and barracuda, both were delicious. Packed up my gear and went to sleep early.
Event warmup:

Made it out to the race site fairly early and it paid off with a nice transition spot. Set up, suited up, then went down to the beach and got some time in the water. The weather was perfect, sunny with just a breath of a breeze.
Swim
  • 31m 41s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started at near the back of the pack to avoid the scrum. There was still a bit of contact but it wasn't too bad. My arms started out feeling like noodles and I wondered how I would go the distance. Fortunately they warmed up and was at the first turn around sooner than I expected.

After the strong current in last year's swim I was a bit worried however the shorter course and better conditions made for a steady swim back towards the second turn close to the beach. The third leg of the triangle course was short, after a quick run onto shore and around the lap marker I was back in the water for my second lap.

My second trip out to the Rock went by fairly quickly even as my arms started to tire bit. After the turn I got stuck behind a breast stroker and pinned in by a couple swimmers on either side. I didn't want to stay behind the wide kicks off the breast stroker and managed to work my way around after letting the swimmers on my sides pull ahead. The final turn came soon after and I pushed (pulled?) strong to the swim finish and to the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Work on passing wide kickers.
Transition 1
  • 05m 12s
Comments:

A bit slow, should have taken my arms out of wetsuit while running from the beach to the transition area. Feet were sandy so I took a moment to clean them off before putting on socks and shoes. Gloves, glasses, helmet then jogged my bike to the mount line and I was off!

Work on taking off wetsuit while jogging to transition.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 47s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.65 km/hr
Comments:

When I think about the Olympic distance I compare it to a half marathon in terms of effort levels. With that in mind my plan for the bike was a comfortable pace for the most part with some pushes on the downhill segments.

The scenery on the course was incredible. As Highway 1 heads north out of Morro Bay it follows right along the beach. There were more than a few times I had to focus back to the road in front of me and not the ocean view! Conditions were excellent except for a bit of headwind after the turn-around.

Being a slow swimmer I had plenty of racers ahead of me and was able to overtake a bunch of them during the first half of the bike (swim rank: 83, bike rank: 65). After the turn around I had passed most of the racers I could catch except for one who we passed back and forth a couple times. In the last couple of miles I was able to pass him and hold the lead all the way back to the transition area.

Maybe push my pace a little more, otherwise it was a good bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Smooth transition.
Run
  • 1h 04m 15s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 26s  min/km
Comments:

Out of transition my legs were feeling pretty good and I was looking forward to a nice run. About a half-mile into the run the course did a little loop on the soft sand of the beach to go around a gully. I tried to maintain pace however I slowed to a steady walk to get through the sand. Unknowingly this would become a recurring theme.

After the sand there was a nice stretch though a tunnel of trees then the trail led into a residential area. Back on hard ground I settled into a nice steady pace, again using my half-marathon effort level. The turn around was at the top of a bluff and I made my way down a staircase to the beach at a brisk walk to avoid tripping on the uneven steps.

On the beach I was looking at the final stretch with Morro Rock looming in the distance and the finish line at it's base. The sand was firm at first, still a bit damp from the receded high tide. I looked down at the water line and considered running along it as I usually do when jogging on the beach. Against my better judgement I decided to stick to the "course" and follow the footsteps of the racers ahead of me.

The conditions of the sand degraded and each time I hit a soft patch I would slow my pace to a steady walk. This kept me out of my running "zone" and started to take a mental toll. Finally at the last mile I decided to run down to the water line and the firm sand. This made an immediate difference and I got into my zone and held a steady pace all the way to Morro Rock. Next time I will head to the water line right away and save myself a couple minutes!

At Morro Rock I had to make my way up through soft sand and off the beach. Back on the running trail I knew the finish was close so I pushed my pace and finished strong.

Get better at running on sand and stay on the firmer sand by they water line.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bunch of water and stretched my legs. Packed up my gear then went for a burger and beer to celebrate.

After last year's issues with the swim I felt like I finally beat the course and am looking forward to besting my time next year!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running in the sand took its toll. Otherwise swim and bike were good.

Event comments:

Great course in a scenic location.

The new swim course was much improved, the current was not an issue.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-11-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:41 | 1500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/128
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4
Course: Two laps of a triangular course in the bay out to Morro Rock and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:47 | 40 kms | 28.65 km/hr
Overall: 65/128
Performance: Good
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/952284813/3
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back course from Morro Bay north along Highway 1
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:04:15 | 10 kms | 06m 26s  min/km
Overall: 89/128
Performance: Average
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/952284813/5
Course: Out and back, up through a neighborhood and back down the beach.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-11-11 2:23 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: Morro Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course

2015-11-13 6:58 AM
in reply to: #5151829

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Morro Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course
Nice, Mark! Well done! Really nice race report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morro Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Morro Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by MOlsen
Views: 1696 Posts: 1

2014-11-04 3:27 PM MOlsen

Maumee Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by bswcpa
Views: 1440 Posts: 7

2012-06-19 8:02 PM mambos

Maumee Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by AKR18
Views: 944 Posts: 1

2012-06-18 9:34 PM AKR18

Morro Bay Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by GE-MAN
Views: 876 Posts: 1

2011-06-17 9:03 PM GE-MAN

Morro Bay Triathlon

Started by Timg1
Views: 1352 Posts: 2

2010-06-09 11:32 PM norcal_SAHD
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.