Bagel w/ PB
Gatorade
Banana
Swim
  • 1h 19m 58s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

The sea was angry that day my friends. Once you got past the waves, it wasn't too bad though. Wore ear plugs and did not come out with any motion problems or dizziness. I swam mostly straight from buoy to buoy and had people all around me for the entire swim. I guess the ocean pushed some of the buoys around b/c they were not in a straight line and people reported their Garmin watch reading 2.7-2.8 miles for the swim. I'm not sure as I didn't wear a watch, but my swim was 5-10 min longer than what I thought it should be for that effort. I took in a decent bit of salt water (most from other swimmers splashing me as I breathed or from trying to sight after a left handed stroke, which I never practices and so I was getting it through my nose). It got crowded at the turns (not sure why I didn't expect this, seems common sense).
I peed at the end of the swim, so that saved me some time later.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I felt very fresh for this and it was almost effortless. Came out of the water feeling fresh and ready for the bike.

Transition 1
  • 11m 32s
Comments:

Stopped at showers to try and get all sand off. Ran some. Took my time to make sure I got everything.

Not much.
Bike
  • 5h 49m 27s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Splits
12.6/12.6 - 18.99mph
50/37.4 - 19.51mph
99.6/49.6 - 19.55mph
112/12.4 - 17.55mph

Course was crowded at beginning and I was stuck behind people the first few miles. I just took it easy and then opened it up once we got off the main beach road. Asked a guy on side of road if he needed help (about mile 10) and he asked for my CO2 head. So, I gave it to him! Thank God I did not have a flat. I only came to a stop one other time and that was to grab a water as the volunteers did not have it ready for a hand up. I never came fully unclipped and those were the only 2 times I came to a complete stop.
This bike felt great. I stayed zone 2 all the way except for a few hills, which I easily crushed (passed lots of people)... legs were glad for the break from pancake flat. I did get into zone 3 going through the headwind on the last out/back. At one point, I could feel my hamstrings. Not sure what that's about since never had any issue in training.

Nutrition:
Infinit Go Far 4 servings X 300 cal = 1200 cal
EFS liquid shot = 400 calories
BASE salt - took it every 30-45 min.

Not much. I think I nailed the bike just right. Could have possibly pushed a little harder. Maybe be more aggressive the first couple miles.
Transition 2
  • 09m 48s
Comments:

Not much to say here. Made sure to remember to grab my Garmin off my bike before handing it off. Peed before taking off for the run.

not much
Run
  • 5h 57m 32s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Things were going great until about mile 5 when I got a horrific stomach cramp/ache - not sure. I've never had anything like it. Felt like someone grabbed my insides and twisted. It hurt so bad that I was bent over and in tears. I'm guessing that it might have been from taking in too much salt water on the swim or from ingesting sunblock. The volunteers had smeared it all over my face and I was sweating (Sun was out and it was hot/humid at this point) and so the sunblock was being carried by the sweat down into my mouth. I could taste it and after a while I stopped and used my shirt to wipe my face off - there was a ton of it on my face! I did not realize they had put so much on me. After using the inside & outside of my jersey, they were both covered in white goopiness. A mile or 2 later (around mile 5) is when my stomach collapsed me. I tried to make myself throw up, but no luck. This was a tough one to take b/c my legs still felt good. From this point on I basically ran as my stomach would allow me. Sometimes that was 1 min, sometimes up to 3 min. Every time though it would eventually seize up and stop me from running. Also, around mile 5 or 6 my back muscle flared up pretty bad. It subsided later, but at the time when everything was going wrong, it was SO depressing.
I started out with a plan for EFS and BASE, but when everything went wrong, my stomach would hurt worse every time I tried to put something in it. So I ditched the EFS pretty quick and would just take a sip & nibble of something every time I passed an aid station. I did carry a bottle of water the entire time and tried to sip on it as much as possible.

I will never know the reason for the stomach issue. However, it's still nice to know what I'm capable of doing. I have little doubt in my mind that I could have done a 5 hour marathon. And I would have been ecstatic with a 12:30 time. But it wasn't to be this time.

Splits
1.5/1.5 - 9:19 pace
4/2.5 - 11:02 pace
6.5/2.5 - 14:37 pace
9/2.5 - 15:35 pace
11.6/2.6 - 12:41 pace
13/1.4 - 11:28 pace
14.4/1.4 - 13:09 pace
16.9/2.5 - 13:34 pace
19.5/2.6 - 15:55 pace
22/2.5 - 15:26 pace
24.5/2.5 - 14:45 pace
26.2/1.7 - 12:59 pace

1. Wear a visor at beginning of run to keep sweat from pouring down
2. NOT allow volunteers to sunscreen my face. I could have done it myself with just a dab in a few short seconds

Post race
Warm down:

Went straight to room and showered. Stomach still in lots of pain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

STOMACH!

Event comments:

This is a GREAT event. Even though the run didn't go my way, it was still a great experience. Well organized, well laid out, well staffed and run. I highly recommend it for anyone that's willing to put the training in.

Last updated: 2015-11-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:58 | 3800 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 91/
Overall: 567/2900
Performance: Good
1:57 pace first loop 2:10 pace second loop
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: 2-loop ocean swim w/ short beach run in between.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 11:32
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:49:27 | 112 miles | 19.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 132/
Overall: 793/2900
Will have to check Garmin, but HR was zone 2 avg.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Had a lot of cross winds for most of the time. Wasn't bad though, prob around 6 mph. Did have a headwind/tailwind on the last out/back section. And then headwind all the way back up the coast the last 12ish miles. Headwinds felt like 10+ mph and wore me down a bit. Was avg'ing 16-17mph in the headwinds. Roads were good. Hot/humid, but mostly overcast with only a little sun. Had a good sweat going the entire ride, but wasn't pouring sweat.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:57:32 | 26.2 miles | 13m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 174/
Overall: 1163/2900
Performance: Bad
Course: Mostly flat
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-11-12 4:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Subject: Ironman Florida

2015-11-13 7:28 AM
in reply to: #5152008

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida

Way to power though the issues... sucks about your stomach, sorry it gave you issues.  

I totally agree on the gulf.  When we got in on Wednesday it was fairly flat and I thought to myself heck this isn't going to be that bad. Then I watched it from Thursday on and I thought aw crap this is gonna suck

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida Pages: 1 2

Started by Motivated
Views: 5223 Posts: 48

2006-05-06 5:51 PM gullahcracker

Ironman Florida

Started by murray723
Views: 4065 Posts: 13

2005-11-08 7:57 PM hdhtri

Ironman Florida

Started by Alpine87
Views: 2475 Posts: 25

2005-11-12 8:23 AM Cal

Ironman Florida

Started by kcavagnolo
Views: 2723 Posts: 19

2005-11-09 9:44 AM COgirl

Ironman Florida Pages: 1 2

Started by Drinking Buddy
Views: 4392 Posts: 29

2004-11-18 5:34 PM pzdipr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!