Other Resources Challenge Me! » BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016 Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2015-12-01 5:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Subject: RE: BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016
Whew! Done with WK1WO1!

I updated the spreadsheet with my 5' average power. I'm still unsure what -94 means on critical power, but whatever, I felt pretty good. I may have left a little bit in the tank on the 5 minute effort, but I'll have a better idea of what to shoot for on the 20' test. I just left my FTP at 209 where it was the last time I used trainer road - a little over a year ago, so I didn't really know where I'd be. I'm pretty happy with the result.

Edit: can't figure out how to post the pic of my ride, but here's the link. lol

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2657037-BTWCP-WK1WO1-5-min...

Edited by Bradleykd 2015-12-01 5:11 PM

2015-12-01 5:15 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Originally posted by TTom

Brad, looks like you are ready to go.  I've got the same trainer and love it.  Discovered a neat trick just recently, probably the last one on this site to know it but I'll share anyway.  I found that if I just rotate the bike up and against the wall it stays there and gives me ready access to all the stuff on the other side.

How about that! I never thought about it, but that is a good idea.
2015-12-01 7:37 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

287W Brad?  Wow, you are an animal!  And you had some left in the tank.  Wow.  Great starting point.

2015-12-01 10:30 PM
in reply to: Donto

Hi,

I'd like to join if ya'll don't mind. A little bit about myself...

Name: Chad

Story: Married for 7 years, 2 kids (5.5 and 7 yrs old). Dad passed away in 07' from sudden heart attack at the age of 58, mom last year from cancer at the age of 65. Both parents battled obesity for the majority of their adult lives, so I felt the writing was on the wall. I had packed on more pounds than I wanted, so I dropped the weight, then went on a mission to find a fit hobby to help me sustain a healthy lifestyle and something I could get my wife and the kids involved in. Already 42 with two young kids, I thought leaving this world at 58 or 65 just doesn't work for me.

I did a couple sprints late last season, half marathon and 15k early this year, then 5 more sprints this season. My wife and I have done a couple 5ks together (I'll push the kiddos in a double jogging stroller) and we've done several 1 mile fun runs with our kids. She and I have a couple more 5ks coming up, I'm doing half marathon again in January and my wife and are doing a 10k together in Feb. Kids did their first triathlon this last summer and loved it, so they're begging me to start "training" for another one this coming summer.

I consider myself to be a beginner on the bike, slow(er) on the run, and amateur in the water. I think running is boring, riding a bike isn't much more fun, and swimming back and forth and back and forth and back and forth... well, nah..... BUT, I'm addicted to triathlon! go figure.

Current Training: I want to focus on improving performance on the bike and in the water during the off season. I'll bike 2-3 times a week, swim 2-3, and run in-between.

Goal of this program: I'd like to learn as much as I can about training with power so I can be more efficient in my training, and improve my overall performance.... a little more sustainable distance, a little more on the average speed, in an efficient manner so I don't blow all my energy before the run.

I did 3 sessions using TrainerRoad virtual power and was hooked so I went out and bought a power meter. I'm on my 4th training session with a new power2max on my Felt B14. I'm using GoldenCheetah for my workouts.

Goal 2016 race: I can't settle on this one yet. Open water is the current demon in my head, so I WILL do an Olympic distance this year... maybe a HIM, just depends on the progress I make during the off season.

I just completed the 5' test tonight and haven't figured out how to post the image of my workout, or a link, so if someone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Attachments
----------------
Dec1.docx (350KB - 13 downloads)
2015-12-01 11:24 PM
in reply to: Budwiiser

The best I could figure out was to paste an image of the workout in a word doc and attach it. Looking forward to hearing how ya'll are posting your workout images.

Also, I think once I save my workout and go to another screen, that particular chart is no longer available?
2015-12-02 5:32 AM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

287W Brad?  Wow, you are an animal!  And you had some left in the tank.  Wow.  Great starting point.

I think... I believe you can look at the workout from the trainerroad.com team page to make sure I did it right. I just used the average power for that 5 minute interval. That's the right way to do it, correct?

2015-12-02 11:12 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Agree, 100% beast mode going on there!

2015-12-02 11:19 AM
in reply to: Budwiiser

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Budwiiser The best I could figure out was to paste an image of the workout in a word doc and attach it. Looking forward to hearing how ya'll are posting your workout images. Also, I think once I save my workout and go to another screen, that particular chart is no longer available?
To post a pix, its best to upload the picture to an photo hosting site or make an album on your photo album here on BT.  Then you copy the link of the picture and use the 'inset/edit image' tool on the message post toolbar (looks like small mountain scene icon next to the chain link icon).  When you select the icon the sub-window pops up and you paste the link into the Source line, also recommend to adjust the image dimensions to be no larger that 700 wide then tab over to the next input so that the image auto-scales the height.

I think you can also select the 'Attach a file after posting' at the bottom of a message post and it may display if its a jpg file, not 100% on that though.

2015-12-02 11:21 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Bradleykd Whew! Done with WK1WO1! I updated the spreadsheet with my 5' average power. I'm still unsure what -94 means on critical power, but whatever, I felt pretty good. I may have left a little bit in the tank on the 5 minute effort, but I'll have a better idea of what to shoot for on the 20' test. I just left my FTP at 209 where it was the last time I used trainer road - a little over a year ago, so I didn't really know where I'd be. I'm pretty happy with the result. Edit: can't figure out how to post the pic of my ride, but here's the link. lol https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2657037-BTWCP-WK1WO1-5-min...

Originally posted by Bradleykd

I think... I believe you can look at the workout from the trainerroad.com team page to make sure I did it right. I just used the average power for that 5 minute interval. That's the right way to do it, correct?
Yes the 5' average is the data point. The -94 means that one of the data points is missing and its calc the slope off of 0.  I was too lazy to put in another IF statement!

2015-12-02 11:36 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

For those using KK trainers.  What is your setup procedure to keep consistency and close power curve correlation?  Here's what I do:

1. Pump the trainer tire to 110PSI on the pump then pull off of the tire.
  2. Get on the bike and using a digital watch spin up to 20-20.2 mph and then coast, watching the time it takes for the rear wheel to stop spinning (I listen to rear hub pawls clicking to end)
  3. Based on a previous post here on BT years ago, it was stated that a warmed up unit will take ~13.8 sec to match the published power curve (KK states 15 sec).  I found that a cold unit will take 2 seconds less so I aim for ~12 seconds to coast down and after 10' of warm-up it'll take the ~2 sec longer.
  4. To achieve ~12 sec coast down cold, I have set the tension at ~2.75 turns.
  5. I wish I had a PM to verify the warmed up actual power to virtual power but I don't so have taken the above as gospel for my setup for a couple of years now.  I know its all relative but this allows me to maintain consistency in the setup.
2015-12-02 11:42 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I did the intermediate 2x20' workout this morning in the warmth and humidity, sure hope Friday AM is better weather wise.  It was nice to experience the dual 20' blocks again before the upcoming 20' test block.  I split up the 2nd 20' block into 2' segments changing gears/cadence.  I'm sure I'll have to play a similar mind game on Friday!

2015-12-02 2:20 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Hey Chad, Welcome!  It's great to have someone else here suffering with us.  If you are still using trainerroad, you can click on CAREER button and see all your past rides with stats, so you'll be able to look at that 5 minute segment and pull your average power from there no problem.  As far as posting, I use Imageshack as a photo storage site and past the link from there, but I'm interested to see if the "attach file after posting" thing that Don mentioned works.

2015-12-02 2:24 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Test with attaching a jpg file...

(2015-12-02-60min-2x20.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
2015-12-02-60min-2x20.JPG (123KB - 11 downloads)
2015-12-02 2:25 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by Donto

For those using KK trainers.  What is your setup procedure to keep consistency and close power curve correlation?  Here's what I do:

2. Get on the bike and using a digital watch spin up to 20-20.2 mph and then coast, watching the time it takes for the rear wheel to stop spinning (I listen to rear hub pawls clicking to end)
  3. Based on a previous post here on BT years ago, it was stated that a warmed up unit will take ~13.8 sec to match the published power curve (KK states 15 sec).  I found that a cold unit will take 2 seconds less so I aim for ~12 seconds to coast down and after 10' of warm-up it'll take the ~2 sec longer.
  5. I wish I had a PM to verify the warmed up actual power to virtual power but I don't so have taken the above as gospel for my setup for a couple of years now.  I know its all relative but this allows me to maintain consistency in the setup.

Hmmm, I've never done any of that - other than making sure the tire was consistently inflated and tightened the tension to 3 turns (determined by what would prevent slippage but not require the Hulk to set).  Since I'm using the Vector on the bike now, I guess I don't really need to worry about the virtual power curve any more.  I did have an issue with my vector dropping signal (hence the previous post on Wi-Fi) and TR shifted over to virtual power.  For the same workout segment (after I resolved the problem) at the same cadence I found that the virtual power was about 10% higher at the existing inflation and tension.

2015-12-02 2:26 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

It worked! 

OK with a JPG file on your PC, select 'Attach a file after posting' at the bottom of your post, select the JPG file and it should show up.

The problem with this method is that you cannot adjust the picture size, so if it has large dimensions (window capture) it'll be large in the post.

Edited by Donto 2015-12-02 2:29 PM
2015-12-02 2:32 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hmmm, I've never done any of that - other than making sure the tire was consistently inflated and tightened the tension to 3 turns (determined by what would prevent slippage but not require the Hulk to set).  Since I'm using the Vector on the bike now, I guess I don't really need to worry about the virtual power curve any more.  I did have an issue with my vector dropping signal (hence the previous post on Wi-Fi) and TR shifted over to virtual power.  For the same workout segment (after I resolved the problem) at the same cadence I found that the virtual power was about 10% higher at the existing inflation and tension.

I'd go with the higher figure, LOL!

It would be interesting to know what it takes for your setup to have the same VP and actual power.

As long as you are consistent with the setup the gains are based on percentage so we're all relative to one another.

2015-12-02 2:34 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Ha!  This looks too rock solid.  Methinks you may be sandbagging!

Really, I'm just jealous.  During my 2x20 I ended up taking short spin breaks during the second segment even though I had dialed down the assumed FTP to 200 for the ride.  I have to block out all my previous trainerroad experience I think as so many variables are different right now. 

1) Coming off injury of the hamstring piriformis (left) with the result that the left leg is a bit weak

2) Moving away from virtual power to the Vector S which only measures the left pedal power (see above) then multiplies by 2

3) Because of 1) above, very little cycling base compared to the previous work with TR. 

After tomorrow this all goes away though as I'll do my 20 minute test and establish a new FTP value to base all the workouts in TR on.  Now to decide what Power to shoot for during the test.  I ended up with 230 for the 5 minute, but that was with going out too hard, so thinking maybe 215-220 as a goal.  Thoughts?

2015-12-02 3:08 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Really, I'm just jealous.  During my 2x20 I ended up taking short spin breaks during the second segment even though I had dialed down the assumed FTP to 200 for the ride.  I have to block out all my previous trainerroad experience I think as so many variables are different right now. 

1) Coming off injury of the hamstring piriformis (left) with the result that the left leg is a bit weak

2) Moving away from virtual power to the Vector S which only measures the left pedal power (see above) then multiplies by 2

3) Because of 1) above, very little cycling base compared to the previous work with TR. 

After tomorrow this all goes away though as I'll do my 20 minute test and establish a new FTP value to base all the workouts in TR on.  Now to decide what Power to shoot for during the test.  I ended up with 230 for the 5 minute, but that was with going out too hard, so thinking maybe 215-220 as a goal.  Thoughts?

I'd go out lower, between 85 and 90% of 5' power to be safe, that's 196-206w.  Its a long test and going out at 93-95% will hurt since we are just starting out.  I'd expect the final 20' test to be closer to 93-95%, but not right now.

2015-12-02 3:42 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

"

I'd go out lower, between 85 and 90% of 5' power to be safe, that's 196-206w.  Its a long test and going out at 93-95% will hurt since we are just starting out.  I'd expect the final 20' test to be closer to 93-95%, but not right now."

Good advice, just have to check my ego at the door - and at 87% that's a nice round 200W.  But hey, just think of the room for improvement.

Edited by TTom 2015-12-02 4:01 PM
2015-12-02 6:33 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Man, I have a lot to catch up on! On to a string of quote posts!
2015-12-02 6:36 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

I pump my rear tire to 100psi and set the tension to 3.5 turns. I marked the handle with paint so I know exactly where that is. That is about as far as I go for consistency. I have done it this exact way ever since I got the trainer though, so I guess whatever the virtual power is off is irrelevant, so long as everything stays consistent.

2015-12-02 6:40 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

I'd be really curious what you would have to do to get them to match.

I say put a half a turn more tension on it and run 100 psi and see what it looks like compared to real power.. That will give us all an idea if my trainer setup makes me look way tougher than I am!

Thanks guys for the compliments! I was pleased. I think it has to do with a lot of mountain biking. That crap is WAY harder than road cycling.
2015-12-02 6:45 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

I'm with you on a lot of variables changing since I last used trainer road. I have no idea what kind of power to shoot for. I guess I'll start around 225 and see what dark circle of pain that takes me down. If it doesn't suck at 10 minutes I'll bump it up.

Is the 20 minute test we do this week the one from trainerroad.com that will automatically adjust your FTP, or will we have to figure that our ourselves?
2015-12-02 6:46 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Last but not least, Hi Chad!

Glad to have you in the group.

What's your trainer setup look like?
2015-12-02 6:59 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by Bradleykd Last but not least, Hi Chad! Glad to have you in the group. What's your trainer setup look like?
Brad, the TR 20 minute test should be OK I think.  I'm planning on using the Sufferfest Rubber Glove workout as I bought the video that accompanies the TR workout and having the video makes the test quite a bit more interesting and provides some level of distraction.  Especially the part where the woman is riding on rollers the whole time she make an omelet - now that takes some talent.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016 Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Crappy Winter Weather Challenge 2015 - 2016 Pages: 1 2

Started by donw
Views: 10838 Posts: 34

2016-10-12 8:40 AM Lumber Dad

Plank a day challenge 2015 Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by ransick
Views: 23407 Posts: 211

2016-01-06 12:40 PM marysia83

Crappy Winter Weather Challenge 2014 - 2015 Pages: 1 2 3

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 10520 Posts: 53

2015-03-31 8:32 PM donw

Winter Cycling Program (2012 - 2013) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by D001
Views: 15287 Posts: 61

2013-03-05 3:09 PM wheeledwidewebb

Winter Cycling Program 2012-2013?

Started by TriFlyBoy
Views: 2511 Posts: 6

2012-11-12 5:54 AM RVachon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : February 16, 2009
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.

date : January 18, 2009
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?