General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lowering the handlebar on a roadbike Cervelo S5 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-19 8:45 PM

User image

Subject: Lowering the handlebar on a roadbike Cervelo S5
Hi,

have a question. I have been riding only 2 years. 1 year on my beloved S5.
I just finished my first Ironman and am entering off season now, so thought this would be the right time try if I could change my riding position. I would like to get a bit more aero. I know at my first bike fit I was a beginner (still am) so I think I am sitting quite upright compared to a lot of the more seasoned guys.

So would like to lower my handlebar. But then I believe the distance from the seat to the handlebar increases? So was wondering. To offset this, would you move your seat forward a bit, or get a shorter stem to move the handlebar backwards, or just try to get used to the new position without moving either?

2015-11-20 8:56 AM
in reply to: knuta99

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Lowering the handlebar on a roadbike Cervelo S5
I'd just start with lowering the stem. Changing two things at once may lead to confusion on what helps and what hurts.
Keep the spacers, moving them from under the stem to above the stem so that you can go back if you need to.
You can always trim it later when you get it dialed in.
2015-11-20 10:09 AM
in reply to: knuta99

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by knuta99 Hi, have a question. I have been riding only 2 years. 1 year on my beloved S5. I just finished my first Ironman and am entering off season now, so thought this would be the right time try if I could change my riding position. I would like to get a bit more aero. I know at my first bike fit I was a beginner (still am) so I think I am sitting quite upright compared to a lot of the more seasoned guys. So would like to lower my handlebar. But then I believe the distance from the seat to the handlebar increases? So was wondering. To offset this, would you move your seat forward a bit, or get a shorter stem to move the handlebar backwards, or just try to get used to the new position without moving either?

Yes you can do all of those! 

Take a look at this stem calculator it allows you to enter two different setups and see the delta.  Put your current stem length and spacers in for both then change one for the spacer reduction and it'll tell you exactly what the reach change will be.  You can comp by moving the seat forward, up and forward, or not at all.  The change can be significant, a 60mm to 30mm spacer height moves the bars forward 9mm.

2015-11-22 6:44 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Thanks for the advice guys!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lowering the handlebar on a roadbike Cervelo S5 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cervelo S5/Specialized Venge

Started by FranzZemen
Views: 4292 Posts: 8

2013-01-06 12:39 PM FranzZemen

2013 Cervelo S5

Started by Meulen
Views: 2476 Posts: 3

2012-08-31 9:51 AM lmwel

Is a roadbike to roadbike upgrade worth it?

Started by TheEdge
Views: 1123 Posts: 14

2010-08-01 7:47 PM sevrdhed

Whats the minimum # of gears on a RoadBike that would work for Tris

Started by PhilE
Views: 1318 Posts: 20

2007-05-31 1:13 AM AdventureBear

"The tri's you'll be doing are more suited to a roadbike than a tribike"

Started by c_cic
Views: 860 Posts: 7

2006-07-12 8:37 PM akustix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.