General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feedback Requested on Inspires and Friends Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-24 8:21 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Feedback Requested on Inspires and Friends
Hello all!

Question from Ron and the BT Team: We know there was a time when Inspires (on training logs) were not working right after the redesign, and we have invested in improving that functionality.

From your perspective, what barriers remain? What keeps you from checking friends' training logs and posting inspires more often? (Please be specific about which screens, buttons, and/or steps could use improvement.)

Thanks! We're listening!

2015-11-25 2:12 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Feedback Requested on Inspires and Friends
Originally posted by alicefoeller

Hello all!

Question from Ron and the BT Team: We know there was a time when Inspires (on training logs) were not working right after the redesign, and we have invested in improving that functionality.

From your perspective, what barriers remain? What keeps you from checking friends' training logs and posting inspires more often? (Please be specific about which screens, buttons, and/or steps could use improvement.)

Thanks! We're listening!

I have not checked on anyones training or inspired anyone in about 4 years. Why?

Well its a bit hidden and takes clicks and time. Plus people now log and/or post their training on...

Facebook
Strava
Twitter
Instagram
Garmin Connect
TrainingPeaks (loaded up to social media channels)
Etc...

Your competition is vast and way ahead of you. Those are where the training logs and inspires are now.

It's just how times have changed with the growth of social media and triathletes love with it. Take for example all of the race specific groups that once thrived on BT. Those have been replaced with Facebook groups, much easier to write, post, share, and load pictures through that channel then BT.

I will be blunt and honest and say that the training logs and inspires of BT are pretty far behind. After the site revamp it took me months to find my "friends", part of that was the barrier to accessibility and laziness to find it. Again the more clicks it takes the less accessible or desirable it is.

I would say can that part of BT, or, find a way to make that part of BT accessible, or link BT to Facebook, and all the other avenues. But frankly, I think its out of your reach for good.

2015-11-25 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I still take a look at friend's training logs, but not as often as I used to.  To echo some of the comments that Ben made, most of my close BT friends are also on FB, so most of my "social" conversations are held over there.

I've attempted to "friend" some new folks here, but have found that more folks seem to lock down their logs these days, so it's kind of futile to friend them if you can't see their logs.  To borrow from FB, maybe a "friend request" function would help to facilitate things.  As it is now, you can add someone as a friend unilaterally and they might never know unless they do a specific search to check who has "friended" them. 

Mark

2015-11-25 3:12 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I am actually more active on checking training and inspiring since the site redesign. It's one of my favourite features. 

Being active on a challenge or a mentor group helps keep me linked with people more personally so i do it more often. the challenge tends to be with more of the etiquette around when to 'friend' people or who is okay to add as a friend or offer a comment to. 

Many a thread have addressed this but for newbies it may not be so clear. 

2015-11-25 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have found that the View Logs/Inspire functionality on the mobile site is a bit of a PITA.  A lot of back and forth from Training Logs to My Friends to Send Inspires then back again.  I'm not sure how much use the mobile site gets, I tend to stick to the laptop when using BT, as I find it more fluid.

2015-11-25 5:41 PM

User image

I haven't logged anything or checked anyone else's logs on BT in over 2 years.  The training logs are far behind in terms of quality and functionality compared to everything else that's out there.  Even if you didn't use any of the "social media" aspects of strava and kept yourself private and didn't follow anyone, their training log is far better than BTs.  Add in the fact that their system is far better as far as "kudos" or "inspires" and you wonder why anyone even uses the BT logs at all.

2015-11-25 7:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

I haven't logged anything or checked anyone else's logs on BT in over 2 years.  The training logs are far behind in terms of quality and functionality compared to everything else that's out there.  Even if you didn't use any of the "social media" aspects of strava and kept yourself private and didn't follow anyone, their training log is far better than BTs.  Add in the fact that their system is far better as far as "kudos" or "inspires" and you wonder why anyone even uses the BT logs at all.

- I agree that the training logs are missing some key features around riding with power, training loads and many other. However I also believe this are more "advanced" features a lot of newbies don't use. That being said they are easy to implement so why not cater to the more advanced user.
- The logs do integrate well with training plans. Lots of newbies use simple training plans and the logs provide an easy to use scheduling tools. Better than Strava, cheaper and better than TP especially if self coached.
- When I joined other mentor groups I noticed a lot more cross checking each others logs, giving kudos, etc. The mentor groups create smaller communities of users that do look at each other's work and comment on it. I think this originates a lot of the kudos, likes, etc. The mentor groups is IMO the most critical feature of this site and needs to be promoted. BT's biggest challenge is finding competent mentors and promoting the use of these group amongst the newbies.

BT has features that make it much easier to share information amongst friends. Much better than FB or Strava or others. But it also has some serious problems that are driving people to those other mediums despite the fact they have lesser features.

Just an opinion.

Edited by marcag 2015-11-25 7:13 PM
2015-11-26 10:34 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I always found the Inspires and friends thing a little odd but I am very introverted so thats just me.

I do like the logs and still use them all the time. I like the reports and the fact that I can compare training going back a few years if I want. What I really wish BT had was links to some of the apps and software out there. I use Wahoo fitness for running and can have it send the training file to Strava, Nike+ etc, I also use trainer road and have the same thing but to log in BT I have to email or download the files and manually add it to the BT log. Not a deal breaker but it could be easier.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feedback Requested on Inspires and Friends Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Feedback request on training plan

Started by timf79
Views: 817 Posts: 1

2012-10-16 11:55 AM timf79

Aero position feedback requested

Started by obohlman
Views: 1239 Posts: 15

2012-02-17 9:51 AM DarkSpeedWorks

First Race Complete - Requesting feedback

Started by TXTriNewbie
Views: 1102 Posts: 8

2011-04-11 3:51 PM BigDH

request advice to pass on to my championship-caliber friend.

Started by scott319
Views: 382 Posts: 1

2009-07-06 6:15 PM scott319

Detox Program for Weight Loss - Feedback?

Started by joannh13
Views: 816 Posts: 2

2004-06-14 8:29 AM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 26, 2012
author : AnnabelAnderson
comments : 1
This is an article about attending my first triathlon (as a spectator - I had never entertained the possibility of actually participating one before!), and how inspiring and motivating I found it.

date : February 28, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 1
Triathletes taking the opportunity to reconginze the support of their family, friends and the love of their sports