http://www.malibufitness.us/news/
32F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 19m 12s
Overall Rank = 21/618
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/25
Pre-race routine:

With a 6:45 AM start time, I was up at 5:00 to eat a bagel, drink a large coffee, and take care of business. I got to the event at 6:00 AM and it was still dark out. There is something odd about waking up at 5:00 to run a 5K.
Event warmup:

The race is put on by a fitness center, which opened for business at 4:00 AM. Since it was dark outside before the race and I didn't have lights, I took advantage of the gym treadmills and did a 10 minute warm up. Can't say I've ever done a race warm up on a treadmill before.
Run
  • 19m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

With a 5K PR of 19:45 done earlier this year, I was hoping to break that today, though it seemed like a stretch goal. I would have been happy to just break 20 minutes again. Having never cracked that 20 minute barrier prior to this year, I had done it four times now.

I lined up behind a bunch of high school kids in track singlets. I knew they'd smoke me (they took most of the top 20 spots). I wasn't racing them though, I was racing the clock. I kept a steady effort for the first half of the race with my pace in the 6:15 range. Knowing a 20 minute finish was 6:27 pace, I just tried to stay under that. I was not pushing hard for a 5K, as I didn't want to blow up and cost myself a sub-20. I was in only mild discomfort. As the race got into mile 3, I knew a fade wasn't going to happen and I was surprised to be keeping this pace up. I even managed to speed up the last half mile.

I had been checking my pace but not my time. As I approached the finish line with a hard kick from a bit of a distance, I couldn't quite make out the clock but I could see the seconds ticking in the 50's. I figured I missed 20 minutes but I was fine with that. Much to my surprise, as the clock came into focus, I was shocked to see it click from 18 to 19 minutes. I had no business running that fast. I let out a loud "WOOO!" as I crossed the finish line.

I immediately checked my Garmin, assuming a short course. Nope...3.10 right on the button. I just knocked 33 seconds off my PR and I managed a very surprising AG win, something I thought wasn't likely given prior results. I am elated with this race. I exceeded any reasonable expectation I had going into it. I got a nice trophy for the AG win too.
What would you do differently?:

As well as I ran, I know I left time on the course given my conservative start. You never know what your finish time is going to be when you line up for the race, but had I known I could run a 19:12, I am confident I could have squeezed 13 more seconds out of this. At no point during this race did I feel like I was running at 5K effort. I was breathing hard at the end, but I am used to being on the verge of puking and I wasn't even close to that.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of fist pumps and a call to the wife to tell her how I did.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Total lack of belief that I had this speed in me right now. Next time I will not make that mistake.

Event comments:

The race itself is just fine for a 5K race. It is a runner's race. It is not a big event with spectators and bands and lots of food after. It is a well organized, well managed, well marked race on a quiet, closed course with plenty of volunteer support and an open gym to hang out in before and after on a cold November day. Nice long sleeve tech shirts with a turkey on them too. Perfect for Turkey Day. I'd recommend this event to anyone looking to run a good 5K before stuffing a hundred pounds of Thanksgiving food down the pie hole.

Last updated: 2015-11-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:12 | 03.1 miles | 06m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 21/618
Performance: Good
Pace splits were 6:17, 6:11, 6:14, 5:11.
Course: There were a couple of uphill "inclines" early on in the race, but nothing I would call a hill. Overall this is a rather flat and fast course, run almost entirely within the confines of an office park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-11-27 12:03 PM

User image

Subject: Malibu Fitness 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Malibu Fitness 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Autumn Fitness 5K

Started by Mike 45
Views: 838 Posts: 2

2006-09-11 9:05 AM spokes

Bally Total Fitness Race to Taste 5k

Started by alibhedrick
Views: 680 Posts: 1

2006-07-05 7:49 AM alibhedrick

Old Canal Days 5k Race/Fitness Walk

Started by StartingToTri
Views: 624 Posts: 1

2006-06-22 10:54 AM StartingToTri

Food & Fitness 5K Run

Started by mitrigirl
Views: 735 Posts: 5

2005-03-21 7:04 PM mitrigirl

About Family Fitness Halloween 5k

Started by Mimir98
Views: 658 Posts: 1

2004-11-09 8:21 PM Mimir98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
comments : 0
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.