Tempe, Arizona
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 11h 27m 40s
Overall Rank = 459/2681
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 35/270
Pre-race routine:

Wow...so cool to have a race where I live. No travel, no shipping the bike and the ablity to eat and sleep at home. It made a huge difference for my family and myself. Completely different level of stress in managing my son with High Functioning Autism. He had told me that he did not want to come to the race that it was to much noise for him. I hired one of the Para Professionals that work with him at school to come spend the day with him while I did the Ironman. He was still a little stressed but able to work through it which allowed my wife and I to have a completely different race experience. In my previous races I only slept about 12 hours total in the 3 days leading up to Ironman. For this race I slept great without interruptions because my son could sleep in his own bed. Major difference in how I felt racing. Probably the other big factor in this race was that I came into it healthy. Minor aches and pains that you would expect when you push your body like this but overall I felt great. My training was probably the best that I have ever been able to put together, 9 century plus rides, 4 runs over 20 miles including a marathon a few weeks before Ironman. Somehow it all fell into place this year.
Event warmup:

I had planned to get up around 4am but my son was up at 3:15 which wasn't that big of a deal because I went to bed about 9 and slept great. I had loaded the car with everything that I would need on race morning so basically just had to get up eat and leave. I drank an Ensure at 3:15, then had a cup of coffee and a Nutella sandwich. We jumped in the car and headed for Tempe around 4:45. It's only about a twenty minute drive from home. I previously had scouted a parking place for us, a Public Parking area just west and south of the USAIR parking garage where most athletes park. I did not want to deal with the congestion of getting into the garage and the public parking is close to the transition area and cheap. We quickly found a spot and I started to get what I needed. A quick note that I always body mark myself because I don't like the wait in line on race morning. This year I used TriTats and really liked them. I was able to put them on the night before and they held up great through the race and easily came off with a washcloth after the race. I'll definitely use them again. Another thing that worked well for me at CDA last year and I used again this year was to put my wetsuit on at the car. Temps were in the 50's and the suit keeps me warm but not to hot. I don't have to worry about a morning clothes bag to drop off and it's just another way of streamlining the morning race process (although I probably look like a dork walking down the street). My wife headed to a pre-designated point where some friends were meeting her and eventually me. They had come all the way from Minnesota to support me at the race (I was honoring the father of one of them...a real life Navy Hero...we had chosen an organization called Fisher House to fund raise for and collectively raised just under $5000). I made my way to my bike, turned on my Garmin then filled up my bottles with water and Tailwind. The bike was ready to go and I headed over to meet my wife and friends for a few pre race pictures. I didn't find them at first but found some bathrooms that didn't have a long line (just east of the Mill Street bridge) and made one last pit stop, then looped back and found my group. We chatted for a while and about 6:25 I headed for the swim start area that was quickly filling up with athletes. One last thing I did before I left for the swim start was to take a bottle of warm water and pour it down my wetsuit. I had tried it a few time in practice and it gives you a layer of warm water to help ease jumping into cold water...or so I thought.
Swim
  • 1h 24m 2s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

If you are doing this race head to the swim start early. By 6:30 almost all the athletes are in line and if you want to move toward the front it could be difficult. This was the first year IMAZ used a rolling start. Athletes self seed with the use of signs that have times on them, i.e 1:00, 1:10, 1:20 and so on. I was expecting to swim between 1:15 and 1:20 and placed myself right in that group. Once the race is started athletes walk up to a platform that has two steps up and then metal steps that lead down to the water. I was admittedly nervous about this start. There is no warm up area to acclimate to the water. This year the water temp was 63 degrees (last year at CDA it was 64 and I had no issue but was able to get in the water prior to the start to acclimate). Secondly you have 2700 athletes that are going down a set of stairs and basically jumping on each other and immediately starting to swim. Your race time starts as you cross a timing matt at the top of the stairs. When I seeded myself I did so in a way to be able to go down the first set of stairs at the far right side, I did not want to get caught up in the lanes in the middle, to much congestion. I think there are 6 or 8 lanes total. Mike Reilly was at the top of the stairs giving out high fives and I gave him a high five and headed down the steps. I had been told that there are some rocks at the bottom of the stairs and to jump out and not go to deep. So I jumped in and my head went under the water and when I came up the shock of the cold water left me gasping for air. I immediately had that panic feeling of not being able to breathe. For some people, jumping into the cold water had little to no effect...for me it was awful. The thoughts that raced through my head were "you are not going to make this" "get to a kayak and hold on until you can calm down" "keep moving so someone doesn't jump on you" "your friends are here to watch you do this race and you are not going to make it out of the swim". Then "calm down...breast stroke...suck in air...you can do this...". It took me about three minutes to get from the stairs to the Mill Street bridge maybe 150 yards. I finally got to the point that I felt like I could start freestyle swimming and slowly made my way forward but my heart was racing...I bet it was at 180bpm. I just kept telling myself relax get your heart rate down and get into a rhythm swimming. I had told my wife and friends that I would swim along the concrete wall that spectators stand on to watch the swim and would wave to them if I saw them. As I moved past the bridge I could see the bright yellow shirts they had on about four hundred yards ahead. Still feeling the anxiety of jumping into the water I swam along and briefly waved until they saw me and then kept moving not wanting them to sense anything was wrong. I fought the feeling of not being able to breathe almost up to the first turn buoy. As I approached it I started to tell myself...ok you are almost halfway there you got this. I made the turn and had the only contact that I would have during the swim two other swimmers instead of making the 90 degree turn made about a 120 degree turn and swam into me...I used my legs to balance myself and between the cold water and the swimmers both of my calfs locked up with charlie horse muscle cramps. Back to breast stroking and bending my toes forward to relieve the cramps...while I was doing this and coming up on the second turn buoy a guy swimming in front of me started to puke..loud enough that I could hear him straining to get whatever out of him. I swam out and around him to avoid whatever it was that he was spewing into the water...gross. I didn't stop to check on him because each time I used my legs for balance they cramped up. The remainder of the swim went this way...my legs would cramp so I just let them drag and kept trying to get rid of the negative thoughts in my head by repeating that I could do this and just keep going. Focus on the bridge once you get there it's only a left turn and a short swim to the stairs...and eventually I made the turn and started lining myself up with a set of stairs in the middle. It seemed the outside stairs had more people swimming for them. I swam straight to the stairs and put my hand up for the volunteer to pull me out just like the advice I had been given. The volunteer grabbed me and pulled and the next thing I knew I was standing on the stairs unable to move because the cramps were back in both calfs. I shouted out I can't move..leg cramps...the volunteer helped me up the stairs and I hobbled to the wet suit strippers. They quickly pulled off my wetsuit and I started the path to transition. I jogged slowly and my calfs eased up as the blood started moving again and then right up ahead were my wife and friends...I flashed them a big grin gave them a high five and said I made it! I never did tell them how close I really was to not making it.
What would you do differently?:

Practice jumping into cold water and start swimming right away. I need to get this figured out before next year. This was the worst Ironman swim that I have ever experienced. I think the rolling start works but it would sure be nice to be able to warm up and acclimate to the water before starting the race. I felt strong enough about this that I sent Ironman an email about it...someone is going to have a big problem jumping into water at this or colder temps. Changing to a rolling start at this race without a warmup area has created a problem. In my opinion the mass start at IMAZ is a much better idea...plenty of room and the ability to get in the water and warm up.
Transition 1
  • 08m 38s
Comments:

Once I passed my family and grabbed my T1 bag I headed to the change tent. Wow...its crazy in here...no seats...its dark and hard to see..ok lets just change right here.I dumped my T1 bag and started changing. The volunteers were doing a great job but there were just to many athletes for them to help...I heard one of them saying "This is crazy" and I had to agree. I got changed as quick as I could put on arm sleeves and gloves packed up my wetsuit and handed it to a volunteer at the door and off to the bike...still cold but starting to feel better.

Nothing. The only way to get through this faster is to not change.
Bike
  • 5h 39m 22s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I ran up to the mount line with my bike and immediately noticed the congestion at the mount line. I made a quick mental note to be observant. It would be easy to get tangled up with another rider but still plenty safe as a long as everyone was paying attention. As I neared the end of the bike exit, I saw my wife and friends again...same routine big grin, wave and yelled see you this afternoon. We had previously agreed that since the bike is so hard to watch they would go rest, eat...watch football, take a nap, while I rode and they would catch me as I brought the bike back in. Ahhhh...now there was no pressure just ride the course that I had put so many miles into practicing. I had ridden at least 2000 miles on this course over the months leading up to the race and I knew the conditions could change quickly. You might have a headwind on one loop outbound and a tailwind on the return and the very next loop headwinds both ways. I had loaded down my bike with three bottles of Tailwind, not something I would normally do but I wanted to basically skip the aid stations if I could or only grab a bottle of water and toss it before the end of the station. My reasoning was that a three loop course would be more congested than other Ironman races, in the end it wasn't all that much different.I though this would get me through the first two laps along with a bottle of Ensure that I planned to drink after making the halfway point of the second lap. I started to feel pretty good and was finally warming up from the swim around 15 miles into the bike. I was very aware that my muscles in my legs felt like they could cramp if I pushed them to hard. The first loop out I had a headwind outbound and a tailwind back. I kept to my plan and skipped the aid stations and forced myself to keep drinking the Tailwind. The temp was cool enough that I wasn't thirsty but I knew this is where I was getting the calories that I needed so I had to be persistent in drinking. A changing point of this race for me was halfway through the first loop. Some of the motivational things that a friend of mine from Connecticut said to me prior to the race flowed through my mind. He had encouraged me to really go after this race and reminded me of all the prep work that I put into this race. I knew he was watching online and it really inspired me to focus on what I was doing. The rest of the entire race I would repeat the things he had said to me to push myself harder and harder. I know this sounds dramatic but it was like the music you hear at movies when the lead characters are making it through challenging situations. I think we need things like that to spur us on to improve and not settle for something less...in my case it worked. As I came back into town on first loop I could see it raining across the valley. I knew we were going to get wet but never guessed it would rain as hard as it did. The second loop came with a headwind outbound and then a headwind on the return. I made the turn around point and opened up the Ensure. I was getting to the point that I really needed to pee but each aid station I passed people were waiting in line and I didn't want to stop and wait. I decided that I was going to try and pee on the bike...not something I had ever done before. So I put the hammer down on the downhill and tried to separate myself from other riders and once I had enough space stood up and after a little concentration was able to pee. At the next aid station I grabbed a bottle of water and rinsed my shorts and leg off like I had seen the pros do. Not nearly as gross as I thought it was going to be. I repeated this later and never did get off the bike during the bike segment. It was really starting to rain as I came back into Tempe and lots of the spectators had run for cover. The volunteers were drenched and continued to help and tell athletes to slow down at the corners which was good advice because it was a little slick. The pavers at the turn around in Tempe were probably the worst so if you are doing this race and its wet use caution. Third loop was pouring down rain but I was feeling stronger by the minute and made it my fastest loop. There were times that it was hard to see because of the rain but the course for the most part is straight so you can just put you head down and go. I saw several athletes that had taken garbage bags or plastic bags and were using them as rain gear but they also acted like parachutes and created a huge drag. Before I knew it I was back in Tempe and there were my great supporters to cheer me on...another big grin and wave and I'll see you in a little bit on the run! I slowed as I came up to the dismount line, unclipped and swung my leg over the bike as a volunteer grabbed the bike from me...instant cramp in my right thigh. I straightened my leg out and ran peg leg style to T2.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 06m 25s
Comments:

I grabbed my T2 bag and headed to the changing tent. The cramp in my thigh subsided but the muscle still felt a little sore. I think because I was so focused on what I was doing on the bike I had not really noticed just how wet and cold I was. Inside the changing tent it was a wreck again...this time not as many people and there were chairs to sit on. Small streams of rainwater flowed through the tent and there was mud everywhere. Volunteers had taken towels and put them on the ground but they quickly were just soaked and muddy. Ironman put a heater of some sort in the tent and athletes were being helped over to it and covered in space blankets to try and warm up. I actually felt fine until I sat down. I reached down to turn the BOA's on my cycling shoes and my hands were shaking so bad I couldn't grip them. I grabbed my gloves and used them to help me grip the BOA's and finally got my shoes off. A volunteer saw me struggling and came to assist me...he basically help me strip and get my dry running clothes on then packed up my wet cycling gear. Other volunteers were tying space blankets around athletes while some of the athletes decided to sit and wait for the rain to slow down. No way was I going to sit and wait, I kew running would warm me up.
Run
  • 4h 09m 13s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I headed out of the T2 tent and could still feel soreness in my right thigh from the cramp getting off the bike. I was supposed to see my wife and friends right outside T2 but they were't there and in a weird way I was actually grateful. I needed to stretch that thigh and stopping was only going to make it worse. I had changed my strategy coming into this race. Normally I do a run/walk method but for this race had decided that I would run until I couldn't and then start a run/walk. So off I headed with my legs feeling very tight. I wondered if I had pushed to hard on the bike and quickly dismissed those thoughts in favor of knowing that in the short term my legs would loosen and reminding myself to be tough and "unstoppable"...words from my friend. The course heads east from Transition for about two miles and then reverses and comes back by Transition following the southern edge of the lake. Just after the turn around at two miles is a section that is normally gravel and dirt. It was completely mud. Mud caked to the bottom of my shoes making them feel heavy and cumbersome. I had to hop around big mud puddles and muddy sections. Fortunately this area was only about a quarter mile long so I was out of it quickly. (By the second loop the rain had stopped and a path was trampled from all the athletes going through). By mile three my legs started to feel good and at 3 1/2 there was my fan club to cheer me on. I told my wife that I would say quick hellos but didn't want to stop for more than a minute. A few quick hugs and "you are looking strong" and off I went. I wouldn't stop running again until almost mile 14. My pace varied but I just keep pushing repeating over and over keep going you got this. I carried a bottle of Tailwind in a waist belt so I just ran through the aid stations. There is really only one hill on this course and I ran it on the first loop but had to walk it on the second loop. I saw my wife and friends a few times but stopped only briefly to let them know I was doing good. I starting walking short stretches at mile 14. By mile 16 the walks started getting longer. I had my Garmin set to show my average pace and had given myself a goal of averaging 9:30 a mile for marathon. Once I started walking the average pace quickly approached 9:30 so the longer that I walked the faster I had to run to maintain the average pace. From mile 18 through the end of the race I just focused on that average pace. My friends met me at mile 23. They were slapping me on the back and saying what a great race I was having and even took a selfie with me (I'll try to attach it if I can). It gave me a much needed boost to get to the end. I really had no idea of what my time was...I was hoping to be around 12 hours but had focused on each individual segment. As I ran down the road approaching the finish line I could hear Mike Reilly and knew my fourth Ironman was in the books. For a second I thought of how I felt when I jumped in the water that morning and thought I might not make it out of the water. Those thoughts lasted a millisecond because I wanted to enjoy the finish chute. I separated my self from other athletes and jogged easily down the chute soaking up every second. My wife and friends somehow found seats in the stands and gave me high fives as I came through....Mike Reilly says "Mike Finney You are an Ironman"....wow that feeling will never get old.

Try to run longer without walking.
Post race
Warm down:

My family and friends were waiting to meet me so I grabbed a chocolate milk and a piece of pizza and headed off to find them. Ironman had lots to eat after this race...broiled chicken...fresh vegetables...rice...subs and pizza. If you are not meeting anyone and have the time it both looked and smelled great. Once I found everyone, my wife told me that my official time was 11:27:40...what? Really! Wow!!! I could hardly believe it. A personal best by over an hour. My friend Dale had predicted it but I didn't really believe him. I did take his advice and go hard during this race and tried to use positive thinking to push me through. If not for his nudges I'm not sure if I would have been mentally prepared to try as hard. Thanks to everyone who supported me through all the training, racing and bad weather. I know everyone says this but it would be impossible to do this without all of the support. Just think we get to do it again next year....:)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:02 | 4224 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 138/270
Overall: 1328/2681
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: The course is a single loop with left hand turns.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:39:22 | 112 miles | 19.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 65/270
Overall: 658/2681
Wind:
Course: Three loop course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:09:13 | 26.2 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/270
Overall: 459/2681
Course: two loop course around Tempe Town Lake.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-11-30 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2015-11-30 2:51 PM
in reply to: #5154247

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
What a joy to follow your training and see you execute race day to perfection! I really had no idea of the severity of the challenges you faced and conquered during IMAZ as I just saw the numbers as they came in. Hearing how the day went is just so much more meaningful, so thanks so very much for taking the time to write this and show everyone how to overcome obstacles and put your best effort out there, no matter what.

I know you've done several IM races and I also know that your times have all been quite similiar, at ~12:45:xx +/-. We all know that the IM race is so difficult because you need to train for so long and overcome time challenges to get it done and do it right. Then, the athlete has to avoid injury/illness and get to the starting line healthy and recovered. Also, the difficulty of figuring out nutrition has to be worked out for the individual athlete.

You put together such a solid block of training that I had very little doubt that a PR was highly likely, even a probable outcome. Only the challenge of race day could derail that. When the temps were cold and there was wind/rain and chilly water, I realized that you were in for a tough day. And yet, I only saw you as someone very ready to meet and beat those challenges.

The slower than training swim time told me that something was amiss, but once you started cranking the bike, I figured you were warm and OK. That must have been crazy being in the cold water and trying to breathe and reassure the fam that it was all OK while your heart was racing. I've been there and experienced the feeling of panic and I would not want to do it again. You did fantastic to calm yourself and execute the swim despite that. Nice job!

Since I knew you have been a BEAST on the BIKE, I figured that your confidence would build once you got to that part of the race. Being able to be on the course itself so often must have helped you a lot. It was a blast watching those splits come in, like clockwork, ticking off such speedy split times. WOW! You just had an amazing bike time. Crashes happen much more often in rain, so you did well to avoid that on the course.

And you also did a great job getting through transitions quickly. Many athlete's leave a lot of time/positions out there by lollygagging it and it doesn't take a big effort to improve the overall time by several minutes. Why work hard on the bike/run and give away 5 minutes in transition? Great times in T1 and T2!

But...we all know the race really is about getting to the run portion and not slowing down too much. Your LR's were solid and I knew you did some run/walk portions in practice but by delaying that until further, you put up a terrific run time. The slowing at the end is difficult to avoid but it was a great race.

I love to see people who continuously move up in their age division throughout the race. It shows solid execution and the ability to maintain pace while taking care of nutrition/hydration. You went from 138(S)>65(B)>35(R). That is just outstanding!

Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations on a spectaculiar race! Such fun seeing it all come together. A PR by about 90 minutes is simply UNBELIEVEABLE. What a race. There is so much to learn about persistence, training, keeping a positive attitude and believing in yourself.

You have now become the poster child for excellent race day execution.
Nice. Hope you are enjoying your recovery.
I know you'll be back at it in no time. I can't wait until we can meet and are on the starting line together and can hang out post race sharing war stories of training, racing and life...someday...

(It's so great to see that beaming smile of yours in every picture)
2015-12-01 9:12 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Extreme Veteran
A wonderful race report and an amazing race!! I enjoyed reading the report. Way to stay strong and focused out there during very tough race conditions! Congrats!!!!
2015-12-01 9:32 AM
in reply to: amymengel

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Congrats on a great race! And how great that it's so close to home!!
2015-12-01 10:04 AM
in reply to: amymengel

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota

Originally posted by amymengel A wonderful race report and an amazing race!! I enjoyed reading the report. Way to stay strong and focused out there during very tough race conditions! Congrats!!!!

Thanks Amy!

2015-12-01 10:04 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Congrats on a great race! And how great that it's so close to home!!

Thank You!

2015-12-03 10:19 PM

User image

What helped me get past the initial shock of the cold water was to swim the day before during the open swim. I knew exactly how it was going to feel when I hit the water, and there was no surprises. Great race! Anyone can race under ideal conditions.
2015-12-04 10:08 AM
in reply to: atcjammo

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota

Originally posted by atcjammo What helped me get past the initial shock of the cold water was to swim the day before during the open swim. I knew exactly how it was going to feel when I hit the water, and there was no surprises. Great race! Anyone can race under ideal conditions.

Thanks! I had originally planned to go to the practice swim but had a problem with the headset bearing on my bike and ended up at the bike shop instead. I do think it would have really helped. Next year I will take advantage of the opportunity to check the water out the day prior. I know it's wishful thinking but maybe Ironman will come up with a way to get in the water the day of... Great race yourself by the way!

2015-12-06 6:15 AM
in reply to: mikfinne

User image

Camden, NC
Probably one of the best race reports I have ever read, congrats on a gutsy performance and great PR! Race results always just show the numbers, but following the pure human side through your report is what it is all about and you should be proud. I really liked the part where you talked about listening to the words your friend motivated you with and hearing those words like the music in movies that gets people through challenging situations. Our friends and family make everything what it is. Its a 140.6 mile conversation with yourself, but those words do sound like music at the right time! I can't wait to go for my 3rd Ironman in Maryland next year. Truly inspirational race you had, congratulations again!
2015-12-06 7:38 PM
in reply to: HercDriver

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota

Originally posted by HercDriver Probably one of the best race reports I have ever read, congrats on a gutsy performance and great PR! Race results always just show the numbers, but following the pure human side through your report is what it is all about and you should be proud. I really liked the part where you talked about listening to the words your friend motivated you with and hearing those words like the music in movies that gets people through challenging situations. Our friends and family make everything what it is. Its a 140.6 mile conversation with yourself, but those words do sound like music at the right time! I can't wait to go for my 3rd Ironman in Maryland next year. Truly inspirational race you had, congratulations again!

Very kind words...thank you and good luck in Maryland...I'll be looking for the report...

2015-12-30 3:44 PM
in reply to: mikfinne

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Great job Mike!  I missed the news/forgot? that you moved to Arizona.  A lot different training/racing weather than Minnesota!  

I am so impressed my your mental strength during this race.  I have been in that situation during a swim where you aren't sure you can finish due to losing your breath (from cold and also contact), and it's super demotivating.  Awesome job remaining present and getting things done!

2015-12-30 4:39 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member

Thanks for taking the time to relive your ironman ! Reading about the ups the downs the fears and accomplishments  is motivation & inspiration. Congratulations on your most successful day..and heres to your next IM !!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2

Started by tjfry
Views: 7545 Posts: 33

2006-04-13 6:25 PM tjfry

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by MikeB
Views: 10663 Posts: 60

2006-04-12 11:01 AM devotchkatata

Ironman Arizona

Started by stinger
Views: 1671 Posts: 7

2005-07-09 10:57 PM cadreamer

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madcow
Views: 6482 Posts: 53

2005-04-20 11:48 AM DB8

Ironman Arizona - Tiger Phil's Story Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 7148 Posts: 74

2006-06-21 7:53 AM benihana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.
date : May 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 4
It is my opinion that even though everyone else considered her a triathlete, she did not consider herself one. I think she still felt like she had no fitness direction and had given up on triathlon.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!