General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why does Rudy Project dominate the aero helmet for triathletes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-09 11:02 PM

Subject: Why does Rudy Project dominate the aero helmet for triathletes?
I've seemed to noticed quite a few Rudy Project helmets in the races I do here in Texas, but I stumbled on an article by Road Bike Review and saw that Rudy Project nearly doubled the second most used helmet (639 v 369) at Kona this year. What is it that makes Rudy Project so widely used/purchased among triathletes?

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/cervelo-zipp-shimano-dominate...

2015-12-09 11:24 PM
in reply to: Callowam

User image

Subject: RE: Why does Rudy Project dominate the aero helmet for triathletes?

Because they used to give their helmets away for free to all Kona athletes who signed up.  Basically the athlete agrees to wear the helmet for the next year in all races, but it's just honor system.  Nowadays there is a cost for Kona athletes, but I think they get a helmet and sunglasses for like $100 or something.  A super good deal for the athlete, but that's the marketing price Rudy Project is willing to pay to advertise as the #1 helmet in Kona.

2015-12-10 3:07 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Exactly, they more or less give them away at Kona to get those numbers high.  Then they put a MSRP of $350 on their website but you can get 40-50% off coupons all over the place so people see them being used all over the place then think they are getting a great deal with the coupon and boom, lots of sales!  Seems to be a very effective marketing strategy on their part!

2015-12-10 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

The Wingspan also aero tests really well (at least it did for me).  I didn't end up buying it because I got a good deal on an LG P-09, which also tested well for me.  As Arend mentioned, you can find 40-50% off discount codes fairly easily (USAT has one if you're a member), which makes it an inexpensive, good helmet.

2015-12-10 3:40 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

They're the Xterra of helmets

2015-12-10 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Callowam

I've seemed to noticed quite a few Rudy Project helmets in the races I do here in Texas, but I stumbled on an article by Road Bike Review and saw that Rudy Project nearly doubled the second most used helmet (639 v 369) at Kona this year. What is it that makes Rudy Project so widely used/purchased among triathletes?

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/cervelo-zipp-shimano-dominate...

As for Kona, as what others mentioned they give them free to athletes racing, great marketing.

They also, just like Xterra, market their products at 30-60% off routinely, but that marked off price is usually standard market price for their product. Very similar strategy to what Kohl's does.

In the end their helmets regularly test on most athletes very poor in relation to other aero helmets. Yes aero helmets are very individual but if you cannot truly test, its best to go with another helmet then Rudy, spend some extra cash for a better aero gain.

2015-12-10 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Originally posted by Callowam I've seemed to noticed quite a few Rudy Project helmets in the races I do here in Texas, but I stumbled on an article by Road Bike Review and saw that Rudy Project nearly doubled the second most used helmet (639 v 369) at Kona this year. What is it that makes Rudy Project so widely used/purchased among triathletes? http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/cervelo-zipp-shimano-dominate...

Kona used to be a great benchmark for the industry, but if you've ever been there that week, you can see how companies are skewing the numbers by giving it away (to some degree. others reward you for using..aka bike companies giving swag to people racing their brand).

2015-12-11 2:55 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by Callowam I've seemed to noticed quite a few Rudy Project helmets in the races I do here in Texas, but I stumbled on an article by Road Bike Review and saw that Rudy Project nearly doubled the second most used helmet (639 v 369) at Kona this year. What is it that makes Rudy Project so widely used/purchased among triathletes? http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/cervelo-zipp-shimano-dominate...
As for Kona, as what others mentioned they give them free to athletes racing, great marketing. They also, just like Xterra, market their products at 30-60% off routinely, but that marked off price is usually standard market price for their product. Very similar strategy to what Kohl's does. In the end their helmets regularly test on most athletes very poor in relation to other aero helmets. Yes aero helmets are very individual but if you cannot truly test, its best to go with another helmet then Rudy, spend some extra cash for a better aero gain.

ummm....what?  please provide some proof for the bold....  what I understand is that they are rarely the best helmet for a person, but are always one of the best, if you can't afford testing seems like a reasonable way to go in my book.

2015-12-11 4:03 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by bcagle25
As for Kona, as what others mentioned they give them free to athletes racing, great marketing. They also, just like Xterra, market their products at 30-60% off routinely, but that marked off price is usually standard market price for their product. Very similar strategy to what Kohl's does. In the end their helmets regularly test on most athletes very poor in relation to other aero helmets. Yes aero helmets are very individual but if you cannot truly test, its best to go with another helmet then Rudy, spend some extra cash for a better aero gain.

ummm....what?  please provide some proof for the bold....  what I understand is that they are rarely the best helmet for a person, but are always one of the best, if you can't afford testing seems like a reasonable way to go in my book.

Check with Heath Dotson and Brian Stover's results at the aero camp. Rudy routinely tested the worst of the helmets tested. The LG-P09 and a couple others were routinely testing the best.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why does Rudy Project dominate the aero helmet for triathletes? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

RUdy Project Ayron helmet

Started by jon-m
Views: 2018 Posts: 6

2012-06-28 1:57 PM jon-m

Rudy Project Wingspan Helmet

Started by Forsey
Views: 1893 Posts: 10

2011-12-29 10:02 PM hornjs

Rudy Project aero helmet

Started by whitecloud
Views: 1890 Posts: 10

2010-12-08 6:44 PM Fred Doucette

Rudy Project Sportsmask

Started by tom1376
Views: 733 Posts: 3

2008-11-11 1:48 PM tom1376

Lost USAT Rudy Projects/Coupon Code

Started by steve1128
Views: 543 Posts: 1

2008-10-13 1:16 PM steve1128
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2013
author : RudyProjectNA
comments : 11
Receive a 20% discount on sunglasses, helmets, goggles and apparel from the Rudy Project.

date : May 30, 2012
author : GaryRM
comments : 4
Is it worth paying the extra money for a pricier helmet? We review the Rudy Project Windmax helmet to answer just this question.
date : April 26, 2012
author : ironultrared
comments : 2
When they first came in, and I opened them up, I had my doubts. So, I made sure to really put them to the test. Well, Rudy, you've made a believer out of me.