General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2016-09-01 2:09 PM
in reply to: bfaridnia

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
I watched these videos today and found them to be really helpful. I'm balancing that dangerous ledge of reading/watching information to make me a better informed racer and throwing off my mental game with information overload. I found these videos to be helpful but not overwhelming. Thanks for posting.

2016-09-02 12:36 PM
in reply to: deboerkj

User image

Expert
Originally posted by deboerkj

Man, my second half of Aug and September will be all out of whack for my swim. Tonight I'm trying yet another pool for lap swim. My main pool (local High School) was closed for renovations over the summer, which has moved to late September for completion. I then moved to the neighboring High School for swim, but got bumped out since my primary HS is behind in repairs. So now I'm off to my 3rd HS about 9 miles away (not too bad) tonight. But starting next week the lap lanes are open from 9-10:15pm, THANK GOODNESS I am more of a night owl

I hear you. With the season change Lake Huron has been rough ever day. I slipped in earlier this week, because it was just a 1 ft chop and it beat me up. I'm hoping that the weather will stabilize this weekend, so I can get some long swims in.
2016-09-06 9:17 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Hello all, hope your training went well AND you were able to take time and enjoy the long weekend.

I had good long workouts this weekend. I did my longest bike ride ever Saturday, rode 112.8 miles with about 4100 feet of elevation gain so pretty close to course characteristics. I was fairly spent after that ride but wasn't struggling to finish. So I'm "feeling" out what kind of pace to go for.

I volunteered as a pacer for a Half Marathon on Sunday (2:00 hour group) and felt good the whole way. That was my longest run of the year, both in terms of time and distance. I'll be well short of my goal for running come race day as a result of my injuries during training etc.

But after taking a rest day yesterday I feel pretty darn good today. I'll probably swim at lunch, then do a bike/run brick tonight.
2016-09-06 10:41 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Hey Reece/All. It was a good workout weekend for me. Had a nice 2 hour ride and then an 18 mile run yesterday. Only a few more weeks of heavy training and then the taper. I've been using a new sports powder called Tailwind w/caffeine and it has treated me well. So many of the powders give me the burps but this has been really light on my stomach. If you are still looking for something, I recommend it.
2016-09-08 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Random Tip: Prior to the race, don't shave/trim anything that you do not normally do. It is a very long day to have to deal with razor burn.
2016-09-13 8:06 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by reecealan

Actually I think removing that out & back made the total elevation gain less. I think total gain now is around 4200 feet.

They posted the elevation map finally. Looks like it went up to 5,400 ft. Although I've heard they always inflate the elevation on their maps..

Here is my Map My Fitness Route which shows 4,000ft of climbing...
http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/1245177820

thoughts from non rookies like myself?

Edited by bfaridnia 2016-09-13 8:15 PM

2016-09-14 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Interesting, I've seen some rides on Strava that were in the 4,500 to 5,000 feet range. There was a couple rides that showed 6,700 (Garmin Edge 510). I use the Garmin 920XT and rides with that device were in the 4,500 feet range.
2016-09-15 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Athlete Guide is up!
2016-09-15 1:11 PM
in reply to: #5156124

2016-09-15 2:08 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Is anyone else freaking out over the fact that we don't get 17 hours? MAX of 16.5 IF you get in the water first.  I am pretty pissed. 

2016-09-15 2:10 PM
in reply to: #5198926

Yes. That upset me too. I am hoping I won't need that time but it's still upsetting but at least they get everyone in the water quickly I've read so hopefully not too much time wasted in waiting

2016-09-15 3:00 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Socks

Is anyone else freaking out over the fact that we don't get 17 hours? MAX of 16.5 IF you get in the water first.  I am pretty pissed. 

Last year they made that really clear in the sign-up information before you registered... did they not do that this year?

2016-09-15 3:49 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Looks like it's still been hot in Louisville, around 90 degrees for the upcoming few days.  Anyone know how the weather has been in general?  And how is the water temp looking?

I signed up for this race with expectations of a nice 70ish degree day!

2016-09-15 5:33 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by lisac957

Last year they made that really clear in the sign-up information before you registered... did they not do that this year?

no. but I am a  kind of left over from I me I was not an,e to race there last year with the date change from the hurricane 

Edited by Socks 2016-09-15 5:34 PM
2016-09-16 12:00 AM
in reply to: Socks

Just read the guide and its actually 16hrs regardless.

RACE TIMING AND CUT-OFFS
The race will officially end 16 hours after the last age group athlete
starts the swim. Each athlete, regardless of what time they enter the
water, will have 16 hours to complete the entire race course (swim, bike
and run courses). Aid station stops, transitions, etc., will be included in
your total elapsed time. Splits be will recorded for each segment of the
race. The following cut-off times apply for each segment of the race.

SWIM CUT-OFF
The swim course will close 2 hours and 20 minutes after the last age
group athlete starts the swim. Each athlete will get the full 2 hours and
20 minutes to complete the 2.4 mile swim regardless of what time they
enter the water. Athletes who take longer than 2 hours and 20 minutes
to complete the swim will receive a DNF. IRONMAN officials reserve the
right to pull athletes off the course who exceed any established course
time cut-offs.

BIKE CUT-OFF
There is a cut-off at the start of the second loop of the bike course at
2:45 p.m. (mile 55). Any rider who has not reached the start of the second
loop of the bike by 2:45 p.m. will not be permitted to continue. The
bike course will close at 6:30 p.m. Athletes arriving at the bike dismount
line after 6:30 p.m. will not be permitted to continue.

RUN CUT-OFF
The run course will close 16 hours after the last age group athlete
starts the swim. Each athlete, regardless of what time they enter the
water, will have 16 hours to complete the entire course (swim, bike
and run). Any athlete that finishes the race before the final run course
cut-off but has a finishing time greater than 16 hours will be considered
a DNF and will not be eligible for age group awards or for IRONMAN
World Championship slots or rolldown slots.

There is also an intermediate cut-off at the start of the second lap of
the run course at 9:45pm. IRONMAN reserves the right to remove an
athlete from the course and DNF the athlete if our course staff determines
there is no possibility of an athlete finishing the given disciple
(swim, bike, run) before the posted cut-off times based on an athlete’s
location, time and average speed up to that point.

PLEASE NOTE: Athletes who do not meet the above cut-offs will be
considered a DNF and will not be elibigle for age-group awards or for
IRONMAN World Championship slots or rolldown slots.
2016-09-16 12:01 AM
in reply to: FF Stock

Originally posted by FF Stock

Looks like it's still been hot in Louisville, around 90 degrees for the upcoming few days.  Anyone know how the weather has been in general?  And how is the water temp looking?

I signed up for this race with expectations of a nice 70ish degree day!

Hot and Rain! ugh I hope it clears up and cools down a bit.

2016-09-20 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
How is everyone doing this week? This is my last big week of working out. Planning a nice 2 mile swim tonight, a 2 hr brick tomorrow, 2 mile swim on Thursday and then my last 2 long weekend work outs.

My body is feeling a little tired (might also have something to do with my 2 little ones not sleeping well the last few nights) but overall, no injuries to report.

Stay healthy my friends.
2016-09-21 3:59 PM

Hey all,

So the Bib numbers email just went out and I was curious the breakdown by age, total athletes and overall gender, so I tossed it into excel and churned out the following charts. Looks like we'll have 2,970 athletes competing with a breakdown of 842 Female and 2,128 Male.

Breakout by age:

Edited by bfaridnia 2016-09-21 4:00 PM

(2016 Louisville Breakdown.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
2016 Louisville Breakdown.PNG (12KB - 27 downloads)
2016-09-23 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Welp, we are down to our last 2 weeks. I'm planning a nice 3 hour bike on Saturday and a 3 hour run on Sunday and then start my taper. Hope everyone is healthy and uninjured. At this point, wear shoes inside so you don't stub your toes :p
2016-09-23 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I've got a 3:15 bike Saturday, Sunday I'm not sure how long I'm going to run. My two longest runs were these past 2 weekends at 17 miles. Maybe I'll do another 17 just for good measure. I love my post injury random training program BTW. My last three bike rides were with two of my Kona bound friends so I've just been piggy-backing on their training plans LOL!.
2016-09-28 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Final 10 days ladies and gents. Took an extra night off last night. The kiddos have colds (hooray back to school), so I'm just making sure I'm taking my Vit C, H2O and making sure I get my rest to arrive healthy!

2016-10-11 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Pretty quiet here since the 28th of September....Guess everyone was focused on their race. I loved it! Cramped up on mile 16 of the run, didn't regain my legs until mile 24 but finished with a good last 2 miles of running. Finish line energy was great. Volunteers were simply superb! The swim was great. I didn't feel any current at all, pretty well protected in that cove section.

How crap did you see those finish times of the fast peeps! Top two in M50-54 went 9:35 and 9:41, are you kidding me? Perfect race conditions to cursh it obviously.

Hope everyone's race went well.
2016-10-12 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
I was happy with my race. Here is what I wrote on my FB page:

The swim: it was a rolling/time trial start where 2 athletes jump off a dock at a time instead of all 2700 swimmers at once. We swam point to point, which means we started and ended at different locations. 1/3 of the swim was upstream in the Ohio river while the later portion was with the current. Besides being murky, the swim was uneventful.

The bike: the first and last 10 miles were flat, while the other 92 had a total elevation gain of 5000 feet, or 55ft of climb per mile. Coming from MI there were limited options for real hill training; the hills kicked my arse. From mile 15-40 I questioned life, but finally found my rhythm riding the hills.

The run: standard 2 loop course. We ran by Louisville University (very pretty campus) and next to Churchill Downs. The kicker is that the turn around for the second loop is about 10 yards from the finish, so tempting! The finish line was pretty awesome, lots of people cheering you on and just a welcome sight.

Final impressions: would I do this race again? Yes. Would I train differently? Just the bike. Enough cannot be said about the Ironman staff and volunteers who spend countless hours supporting the athletes.
2016-10-13 8:03 AM

User image

Expert

The swim: it was a rolling/time trial start where 2 athletes jump off a dock at a time instead of all 2700 swimmers at once. We swam point to point, which means we started and ended at different locations. 1/3 of the swim was upstream in the Ohio river while the later portion was with the current. Besides being murky, the swim was uneventful.

The bike: the first and last 10 miles were flat, while the other 92 had a total elevation gain of 5000 feet, or 55ft of climb per mile. Coming from MI there were limited options for real hill training; the hills kicked my arse. From mile 15-40 I questioned life, but finally found my rhythm riding the hills.

The run: standard 2 loop course. We ran by Louisville University (very pretty campus) and next to Churchill Downs. The kicker is that the turn around for the second loop is about 10 yards from the finish, so tempting! The finish line was pretty awesome, lots of people cheering you on and just a welcome sight.

Final impressions: would I do this race again? Yes. Would I train differently? Just the bike. Enough cannot be said about the Ironman staff and volunteers who spend countless hours supporting the athletes.

I hear you about the hills. I thought I was riding hills until race day. Now I have discovered what hills mean. The first couple were ok, but when I realized they were never ending, it became a grind. These were not Michigan hills. The real killer was you couldn't get good speed on the downhills and there was no relief. It took me about 3/4 on the ride to unlock the puzzle of how to ride them effectively.
I loved the swim. It was warm and calm compared to Lake Huron.
Downwind from the horse stalls, and the start of the second loop were a little rough. The rest of the run was decent.
It was fun to talk people from around the world, especially when it came to talking about the bike. Us flatlanders thought it was hilly and challenging, while people from Colorado talked about how flat it was.
Overall, I thought it was a great race and great location. We really enjoyed our time there.

Edited by JBacarella 2016-10-13 8:04 AM
2016-10-13 11:27 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Originally posted by JBacarella

I hear you about the hills. I thought I was riding hills until race day. Now I have discovered what hills mean. The first couple were ok, but when I realized they were never ending, it became a grind. These were not Michigan hills. The real killer was you couldn't get good speed on the downhills and there was no relief. It took me about 3/4 on the ride to unlock the puzzle of how to ride them effectively.
I loved the swim. It was warm and calm compared to Lake Huron.
Downwind from the horse stalls, and the start of the second loop were a little rough. The rest of the run was decent.
It was fun to talk people from around the world, especially when it came to talking about the bike. Us flatlanders thought it was hilly and challenging, while people from Colorado talked about how flat it was.
Overall, I thought it was a great race and great location. We really enjoyed our time there.

Love the Colorado reference.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 56228 Posts: 370

2013-12-14 11:11 AM Cajuntriguy

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by vasqlartek
Views: 104926 Posts: 1070

2012-09-06 6:49 AM 7ofClubs

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by sdanaher
Views: 228039 Posts: 2778

2011-11-01 2:10 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by dlink
Views: 164843 Posts: 1740

2010-11-07 9:12 AM kdlsch111

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173181 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.

date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: