General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PF/ Achilles help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-15 8:46 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: PF/ Achilles help
PF started in one foot and I've been getting ART, graston, strengthening, stretching, rolling, sleeping in boot, etc. Doc suggested inserts and they have helped quite a bit, but starting to kinda feel it in my other arch. grrrr! I was already doing all the other exercises for the other leg just in case though. It's not horrible, but I can tell it might be lingering. Anyhow, I'm also started to feel an issue with my achilles. Feeling like a mess! Will eccentric heal raises help this issue or hurt it? Is it common to have both at same time?

2015-12-16 6:25 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: RE: PF/ Achilles help
I would keep away from the heal raises. They will put too much strain on the tendon and could cause more inflammation. (my doc warned me about them last visit) I know these heel exercises are supposed to loosen up the calves etc, but its too aggressive. The PF is hyper aware of any additional strain or stretching, and will reward you with more inflammation and longer healing time. I think the reason I still have pf after 6 years is how aggressive I was with the first 6 months stretching routines, I thought I could stretch my way out of it, and I made it 10x worse. Do the flat foot lean into the wall for calf stretching, and do it gently, and often. GENTLY. Work tightness out of hamstrings and calves as gently as you can. Control the load on the foot as much as possible, and keep inflammation down, as inflammation causes a vicious cycle of separating the fascia while you're trying to heal it. Good luck with this, most people get through it within a year.
2016-01-24 6:57 AM
in reply to: mxr746

User image

Camden, NC
I have had PF for just about a month now and I think things are beginning to get better after I started doing something I would like to share. There is a tremendous amount of information out there about how to treat PF and sometimes it all seems contradicting. However, I think one thing is true, we tend to aggravate the problem and create more inflammation when we take those first few steps in the morning, which prolongs the healing. Sleeping all night the fascia tightens up (unless you are using a special sock or brace, which I haven't tried) and the first steps in the morning without massaging the foot or somehow warming up the tissue is what seems to cause more inflammation.

Well, I noticed that my daughter had a small 1 x 2ft heating pad that she used for various ailments and I thought maybe if I just put that thing at the side of my bed and used it to warm up my feet and get the blood flowing I could cut down on some of the inflammation and tearing that happens first thing in the morning. So now each morning after I wake up, I reach down and turn the pad on. After it warms a couple of minutes I roll out of bed and set my feet on the pad. After a couple of more minutes I stand up and lightly do some small marching type movements to get blood flowing and the tissue warmed up. My first steps in the morning have never felt better and I feel like things are progressing much quicker with my healing. The pad is also sitting under my feet while I type this, so that when I get up to get another cup of coffee, I am not stressed about those first few steps. Be careful on controlling pain with heat, because if you are already inflamed you might aggravate things and then a frozen water bottle might be your answer to get things under control. Anyway, as an option, try giving the heat pad next to your bed for those first steps in the morning a try and see how things progress. Maybe even use it while you are watching TV. Ultimately, after inflammation is under control, warm blood flow to the area can help heal that pesky PF. Good luck!
2016-01-28 8:37 AM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

, South Carolina
Man I have battled this a good bit. First thing that really worked for me was I had a Dr suggest meloxicam and that was great but obviously you need to consult a physician first and find out if that is the right fit for you. Next is 2 frozen bottles of water and roll them things around on a socked or bare foot while you are chillin or watching TV or helping the kiddies with homework. I have tried the sock but hard to sleep with your toes bent back to your shin.
I also think that PF is a result of tight hamstrings and flexibility. I have no proof other than a message therapist here at work and I were chatting and she started talking about how men in general ignore strengthening and stretching their hamstrings. She thinks that leads to more lower back, hamstring, calf and PF injuries. If you can at least touch your toes and hold them there you have a problem. Interesting I thought so I do stretch my hamstrings a good bit but slowly.
2016-02-15 7:25 AM
in reply to: ToxicDonkey

User image

Camden, NC
Additional notes on my PF saga, I am finding a lot of relief from the night splint. Not a sock, but a comfortable splint. I will list the two that I have found to be helpful and the two that seem to have helped everyone I have talked too. I alternate between the two because sometimes I like the boot with the brace on the back of my foot and sometimes I like the brace with the plastic on the top of the foot. Nothing like climbing into bed with boots on, but the mornings are better and these were given to my by my sports medicine doctor. Both are on Amazon

Futuro Night Plantar Fasciitis Sleep Support, Adjustable - about 22-23$

PLANTAR FASCITIS Night SPLINT by Ossur - usually 15-16$

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PF/ Achilles help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I need help with Achilles Tendinitis

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 958 Posts: 3

2009-05-20 2:37 PM Nipper

Prolotherapy helping with achilles tendonitis ...

Started by Tri_Wombat
Views: 1463 Posts: 7

2006-11-22 7:57 AM Lucy

Achilles Tendonitis?

Started by apenton
Views: 1502 Posts: 9

2004-11-10 2:13 PM Edd

Achilles Tendonitis or something else?

Started by kimj81
Views: 1469 Posts: 4

2004-09-27 11:56 AM Scottus

Achilles Pain

Started by prince
Views: 2189 Posts: 12

2007-09-22 11:09 AM tridantri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 15, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Six weeks ago I felt a tug on my achilles during a treadmill run. I had really been finding my stride the last few weeks ramping up mileage again for the running season.

date : May 9, 2011
comments : 2
Achilles Tendonitis is one of the most common running injuries due to overtraining. In this video, a sports medicine doctor diagnoses and provides a treatment plan.
date : February 22, 2010
comments : 0
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.

date : February 16, 2009
comments : 2
What you should know about Achilles tendinopathy to prevent its occurrence and to stop it in its tracks before it stops you.
date : November 4, 2007
I've been told I have laxity in my tendons which sets me up to be more prone to overuse injuries. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate my chronic achilles pain?

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.