United States
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 12m 35s
Overall Rank = 7/75
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Event warmup:

Jogged a bit just to keep warm, picked up registration then did some running and some final uphill strides.
Run
  • 12m 35s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I signed up for the Grand Prix series to inject a little speed into my routine. A distance runner like myself rarely races something this short! It hurts like a beeeeoooootch in case you were wondering.

I haven't done any speed work in the last 6+ months (shame!) so this race was an absolute baseline and needs to be looked at in that context.

This race draws a ton of high school and college track/xc teams. I lined up near the MOP both because these types tend to start out way too fast and because they are just fast in general. I don't need to be drug into some high school freshman's epic 1 blowup halfway through a 2 miles race.

The gun went of and we took off, much more quickly than the start of most races. I picked a nice line on the inside and focused on stead pacing. I was thinking about 6:20 even laps would be good but I really had no idea where all my mountain/trail and general aerobic running might land me with no speed.

Just as we made the first tight hairpin turn it started pouring. Traction was a challenge and there were HUGE puddles. I didn't even try and avoid them as it wasn't worth it. My flats were already soaked.

I did get into a nice comfortable hard rhythm and came through the first mile at 6:19. Sweet, one second faster than I had thought I would be at. A second is a second! Also, I felt really relaxed so I figured I could continue at this pace then hammer it for the last quarter or so.

Unfortunately as I was thinking this the wind picked up. I felt like I was moving backward. I was not in a pack so I had to fight the wind alone. I navigated the slippery turns, ran through what seemed to be a moat by now and tried to pick it up on the straightaway.

I fellow club mate came up next to me in a pack of a couple other guys, he said, "c'mon lets go!" and I tried hard to get into the pack but I had exerted too much when I was running solo and I had to let them go.

I came into the final stretch to complete the race in 12:35. Slow, but the good news was I shaved a little off that last lap despite the wind battle.

Now, time to start getting some quality workouts into my schedule. I'm not terribly unhappy with the baseline but I know that if I want to be "fast", those speed sessions are key. I mean, duh, of course they are. But a girl can dream, no?

What would you do differently?:

I haven't done any speed work so this race was an absolute baseline. Seeing as how I ran approximately 20 seconds slower in a two mile race than I do in a 5K I would say I have some work to do!
Post race
Warm down:

Long cool down with a friend and then BEER!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No speed-work, some weather, could have been more conservative when running solo then capitalized on the pack

Last updated: 2015-12-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:35 | 02 miles | 06m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 7/75
Performance: Below average
Course: Two, one mile laps. Gently rolling terrain but with a lot of tight turns.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-12-17 2:11 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: New Balance Winter Grand Prix

2015-12-21 12:54 PM
in reply to: #5157062

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: New Balance Winter Grand Prix

Two mile race, ouch!  Sounds like you gave it all you had, given not doing speed workouts lately.  You are crazy fast whether you are 'properly' prepared or not, wow!  Rain, wind: there's no stopping Salty!  Congrats!

2015-12-29 3:06 PM
in reply to: #5157062

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Great job, especially for not having done any speed work lately.

How was the beer?

2016-02-08 12:45 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
That's awesome for not having trained that distance at all. Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Balance Winter Grand Prix Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Grand Prix Mideast Championships

Started by running2far
Views: 1461 Posts: 6

2006-09-01 9:07 PM oneslowdoc

USAT Grand Prix Mideast Championships

Started by TrishaK
Views: 1381 Posts: 3

2006-08-29 12:07 PM hopper

Florida Yulee Railroad Days 10K Grand Prix Race

Started by parrj
Views: 1044 Posts: 1

2006-06-03 10:19 AM parrj

NYRR Grand Prix: Staten Island - half marathon

Started by 510climbergirl
Views: 937 Posts: 1

2005-10-16 3:51 PM 510climbergirl

Yaletown Grand Prix

Started by jeng
Views: 1517 Posts: 15

2005-07-06 6:02 PM AlBearAngel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2015
author : mikericci
comments : 2
How to prepare your body before heading out into the cold.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types