General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this my "Iron year"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-17 5:13 PM

Subject: Is this my "Iron year"?
How do I figure out if this is finally the year I go 140.6? I didn't race last year but have gone 70.3 three times and am getting the full-distance bug (pretty bad!) Worried that I will get half way down the road with my training, then life will intervene and provide me with too many convenient excuses to bail. Any "iron vets" out there have sage advice for me?? Thanks!

2015-12-18 1:38 AM
in reply to: tom.nun

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Is this my "Iron year"?
It's all about how bad you want it!!

Only you know if you're ready to commit!

My 2c, the fact you're getting the bug, have done multiple halfs, and are asking, you're probably ready.
2015-12-18 5:10 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

It’s like having children.  If you waited until you were sure you were ready you’d never have one!   But it is important to know what you’re getting into.

For me, the differences between training for a half and a full were both obvious and not so obvious.

In the obvious category is the longer work.  You won’t necessarily have more training sessions but in the three months leading up to the race they will get significantly longer.

In the not so obvious category is the maintenance work.  We all know you should work on stretching, stability and mobility.  But unless you’re the sort of person that does this anyway then you know that you can get away with doing the minimum in this category and get away with it.  For me, this wasn’t the case for the full distance races and I’ve really had to work hard to incorporate that into my routine.  You also have to be smart with eating.

These things are more or less important depending on your age, background, self-awareness etc.

I’d also think about why you want to do it.  If you have a compelling case for that then you have something to refer to when you’re 50 miles from home and you have to get back through a headwind and rain.  You go to some dark places training for a full but if you have a strong reason for wanting to do it then you won’ break and you’ll have something to find during those soul searching moments.

2015-12-18 6:49 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Do, or do not, there is no try!
(Yoda)
2015-12-18 7:28 AM
in reply to: #5157090

User image

I agree with Dan L. Training for a Full is similar during the week to a Half, but the weekend sessions are much longer. I have 3 kids (6, 3.5, 6 weeks) and it is about prioritizing your time. My weekday training sessions are from 4:30-6am; Saturday is Ride from 5am-9/10am, Sunday is Run from 6am-9am, and then swim 3-5pm. Monday is my rest day.

So, if you are married and/or have children, make sure they are on board with the training schedule. Also, as others have said, if you "want it," you will train for it. The 1st IM is usually just about finishing it. You are probably not trying to qualify for Kona on your first try. So, train, finish, and enjoy every moment.

2015-12-18 9:45 AM

Great advice, everyone - thanks!! The maintenance part hadn't occurred to me - I'm a "bare minimum" kind of guy when it comes to that stuff now, so I'll pencil it into the plan. As far as kids, we have four (and weren't ready for ANY of them...and they seem to be turning out fine so far, so maybe that's a good sign?) Family is generally supportive, but wife may not be thrilled at the increase in volume. Have to get her buy in soon if this is gonna happen.

Great point about weekends, too. That will be a challenge for me - I'm an early riser as well, but have always tried to be back from my weekend long rides by around 8:30a to keep the family happy. Almost do-able at 4-5 hours, but obviously not possible when you're going 6-7 hrs. Might have to work in a few of those surplus hours during weekday commutes.

I've set a deadline for myself to decide by midnight on 12/31, so keep the advice and thoughts coming.

(And, as far as Yoda goes: there may be no "try," but for better or worse there is definitely "TRI"!)

Thanks again!

2015-12-18 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If it's any consolation, I'm not a super athlete, busted a femur, have hardware in me, knee injury last year, couldn't even run til Jan.

I averaged 3-8 hours of training per week through the year, then signed up for an IM 6 weeks out, ramped up with a reverse build, and managed a sub-12. ( MRI for the knee was 6 weeks out and I was told it was solid, and 5 weeks out had a 1:40 HM )

Getting in the right key sessions, consistently is the most important thing here, listening to your body for potential injuries, and getting the right mix of intensity for your volume.

I would have done much better with more volume I'd imagine though, I was on a fine line all season! :P
2015-12-20 1:07 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

Scottsdale, AZ
Yep, never a good time, but you make it work once you register and are IN!!!

For me the longest days were Saturday when I did my long ride, and those didn't get really long until the last 6 weeks before taper. My longest ride was 7hours but I was still home by 11am - started at 4am. So I think I did a good job of keeping the family impact to a minimum.
My husband took the Saturday morning kid duty and Sundays were always a rest day unless I had an OWS practice, but that was in the afternoon, so it wasn't too bad and only a couple hours.
I have 2 kids, family wasn't hugely supportive, but we all made it work.
There are a lot of time efficient programs out there that don't require endless hours of training. I had a coach that worked with my schedule and everything worked out ok.

Lastly - DO IT!!! It was the BEST experience and I LOVED every minute of my race! I even had a hip injury that occurred 3 weeks out and I walked a lot of the marathon. Plus I did IMAZ where it was cold and rainy ALL DAY, and I still had the best time!
2015-12-20 8:45 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

I knew I was ready after I crossed the finish line of my first half IM. My first half IM was in July of 2014 and I did my first full IM in September 2015. I hired a coach and trained a year for it (I didn't have a coach for my first half and just sort did whatever to get ready for the half). I do have an endurance background (multiple marathons/ultras, century rides, etc) so I knew how to train long.

Like others have said, training during the week really wasn't that time consuming. I did most of my week day workouts in the early morning and since it was summer when I was doing the bulk of my training I never really had to worry about biking or ows in the dark. Most of my training during the week lasted about 90 minutes. There were a few times I had to do double workouts, but not often. I also bike commuted to work so some of my bike workouts served a double purpose.

Saturday's were my long bike days and it really wasn't until July that I would be gone for most of the day. I live in the suburbs so it seemed like a good portion of my day was used to drive to and from where I would do a 5-7 hour bike ride. Also, I drove to Madison several times to practice the bike course (it was about a 2 hour drive one way).

Sunday's were my long run days and I would start early to not only avoid the heat but to get done early. I was normally done by 10am so I had the rest of the day to get things done around the house and take care of any errands.

IM training involves a lot of time management and organization but is doable. I work full time and travel for work (I am single though). I did have to give up some social engagements to get my training in but my family and friends totally understood and were very supportive.

I loved the entire experience of training for the IM and ultimately racing it. It was such an awesome day and something I will never forget. Having the crowd cheer for you, the super supportive volunteers and then running down the finishers chute and being called an ironman is an emotional experience (at least for me it was). I am signed up for IMWI 2016 and am just as excited as I was when I signed up for my first one mostly because I know I can improve in the next year and am excited to see where another year of training takes me. The goal for my first IM was to finish and enjoy the experience. The goal this time around is time.

You definitely need to get your family involved and let them know exactly what will be involved. The more they know beforehand the less surprised they will be when you say you'll be gone all day on a Saturday doing a long ride. Share your training schedule with them and find ways to involve them. For example, if you have to do a swim workout and your pool has family hours have them come along and play in the pool while you swim laps (my gym always has two lanes open during family hours). If you have a race on your schedule bring them along and make a weekend out of it. Let them see what a race looks like. The more involved they are the more understanding and excited they will be for you.
2015-12-21 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

You must want it bad enough. I compare it to having another job because of the training involved. You and your family must realize the time and hours it takes for the training involved. I sat down with my wife and explained the hours involved in the training before I took on the IM training. I never heard one complaint about the six and seven hour bike rides on the weekend. She accepted additional responsibilities of the family during my training so it is a partnership to make it work.

Don't go into it unless you (and wife if married) are prepared for the time it takes.

2015-12-21 12:00 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

The biggest concern is the spouse. Spouse (and kids to some extent) must be "in the boat and rowing" with you.

After running in the AM, working all day and riding my bike for 2+ hours after work, I wasn't super into doing things like LAUNDRY. Or DISHES. Or HOUSEWORK. My husband had to pick up a lot of the slack so that I could get to bed at a decent hour to do it all over again.

Luckily for me, my husband also does Ironman, (just alternating years to mine) so he was able to come along on many of my long rides. That was fun.

Make sure your spouse understands. It can be a bit of a strain on the non Iron partner. Even for those that "get" it. In 2014 my husband trained for IMCdA and he just wasn't around a lot. I understood what he was doing and also understood the fever and the pressure and the volume required in Ironman training, but I still got lonely a bit when I was home folding laundry and he was out riding his bike for 7 hours.

2015-12-21 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Here's how it went for me:

Me to my buddy after doing tri's for 3 years/after finishing my first half: "I'm thinking about doing an Ironman but I don't know -- that's crazy right?"
Buddy: "Did you do the half this year?"
Me: "yeah"
Buddy: "Did you survive?"
Me: "yeah"
Buddy: "Step it up."

That was it.

Step it up.
2015-12-21 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I didn't see any races logged for you, it would be good to know how you did in those 3 HIMs Rhetorical, meaning if you felt like your training and race performance was good enough to move into the IM level. I assuming you do.

My only contribution is to carefully consider the race you pick for the optimum chances at getting your training done and handle any work / family responsibilities. For me late July / August races were best for me, because the weather is best, my work flow seems lower. For me, I really hate training in crappy weather, as it was for this year's race, I wound up sitting on the trainer a number of weekends due to weather.

I guess I should add, consider the cost of the race too. My first IM was uber expensive, whereas this year's IM was relatively cheap. Look at the entire picture (as much as you can) before you sign up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this my "Iron year"? Rss Feed