BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2016-01-08 4:36 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)
I am still on casual winter maintenance so my weekend is a little weather dependent. If it quits raining I will go for a run tomorrow. I am not that desperate to run in a 33 degree drizzle. I would rather have zero degrees and sunny over cold rain. Will probably do a 45 minute trainer ride tonight and Sunday.

2016-01-08 4:38 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)
Originally posted by Birkierunner

What's on tap for the weekend?

Sit on couch all weekend and watch NFL and drink beer

45' run tomorrow. just getting back from injury so been slowly building up mileage.

2.5 hour ride on Sunday at 70% effort followed by short T run.

Saving legs for next week. Have 5' and 20' FTP tests. Totally sufferfest . Will post results if they are good. Otherwise, crickets.
2016-01-08 4:58 PM
in reply to: stevemorey

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
I recently figured out you can post training logs to BT from Garmin so I set that up. I only have a week of data there, but that has been pretty typical through the winter. Feel free to let me know if anyone has any suggestions about what I should do different for winter maintenance.

I am a fairly good swimmer. I can swim 1:30 / 100 yard almost indefinitely but I can't swim much faster except for very short distances. I usually intentionally slow that down to about 1:45 (minus any zigging and zagging) in a race to save energy. I usually come out of the water in the top 10% without trying too hard.

I am an okay biker. I can ride about 20 mph average depending on wind or hills up to about 50 miles but I can't ride much faster except for very short distances. My local outdoor rides usually average just under 20 mph and we have a fair amount of rolling hills. I don't have any outdoor rides on BT yet but you can see a typical outdoor ride at www.strava.com/activities/417046841. I usually don't get passed much while biking but when I look at the times the slower swimmers definitely gained on me.

I have been a very slow runner. There is usually a steady stream of people passing me on the run. I was running no faster than 9:00 per mile but I have recently been able to pick that up to about 8:30 or even sub 8:00 if I really push hard. I haven't done a brick since September so I don't know yet if I can maintain these improvements after a ride but I feel like I can. I have been focusing on running since my last triathlon Labor Day weekend.

The pace predictor on my Garmin has some crazy fast running predictions. I will bring that up in a future discussion.
2016-01-09 3:53 PM

User image

West Des Moines, Iowa

I have been a very slow runner. There is usually a steady stream of people passing me on the run. I was running no faster than 9:00 per mile but I have recently been able to pick that up to about 8:30 or even sub 8:00 if I really push hard. I haven't done a brick since September so I don't know yet if I can maintain these improvements after a ride but I feel like I can. I have been focusing on running since my last triathlon Labor Day weekend. The pace predictor on my Garmin has some crazy fast running predictions. I will bring that up in a future discussion.

I feel your pain. I'm an equally slow runner for longer distances. My average 5K is in the 22min range, but for anything longer than a 10K, I naturally find that 9min pace and camp out...but I can run those miles for a really long time. On of this year's goals is to drop the longer distance pace closer to the 8:30 mark by mid-summer. 

2016-01-09 7:22 PM
in reply to: #5157537

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
I am universally slow regardless of distance. My pace doesn't slow much as distance increases so I tend to do better by comparison to others at longer races.

I have been run focused all fall running a lot of intervals. I did a steady pace run this afternoon at 7:33 over 4.6 miles and felt pretty good at the end. I think I am making progress.
2016-01-11 3:20 PM

User image

West Des Moines, Iowa

New week...new question for the group.

Since this is my first real season of Triathlon, I have a lot of learning to do. I'm curious what everyone sees as their top 3(ish) mistakes you made as a rookie in the sport. 

Alternative flavor to the question...what are the top 3(ish) things you wish you had known in your first year racing long distance (70.3 or 140.6). 

2016-01-11 6:25 PM
in reply to: Wingspan

User image

Originally posted by Wingspan

New week...new question for the group.

Since this is my first real season of Triathlon, I have a lot of learning to do. I'm curious what everyone sees as their top 3(ish) mistakes you made as a rookie in the sport. 

Alternative flavor to the question...what are the top 3(ish) things you wish you had known in your first year racing long distance (70.3 or 140.6). 

The biggest thing I have learned the past 2+ years of doing 70.3 and 140.6 races is that it's all about the bike. First, don't overbike your fitness during races or you will be walking at some point. I did that during my first two 70.3's. At the time, I blamed conditions and nutrition but it was cycling beyond my limits for those conditions. You get out of the water all amped up and take off. It's just human nature. Also when people go flying by you uphill it's hard not to want to go with them. PM has definitely helped keep me on target but also just a couple years of knowing my body and abilities. Like anything it's a learning process. I now know that should be able to run them down if I stick to my race.

The second part of the bike equation is training. When I started really focusing on raising my bike fitness, my overall racing improved. Having that bike fitness will pay off with fresher legs for run. Don't sacrifice your swim and run too much, but know their places and allocate your training accordingly. That said, if you are already a super strong biker relative to S/R, this may not apply.
2016-01-11 9:54 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Wingspan

I'm curious what everyone sees as their top 3(ish) mistakes you made as a rookie in the sport. 

1. Nutrition

2. Nutrition

3. Nutrition

In the beginning I did not take my nutrition seriously and basically winged it when it came to a nutrition strategy for my Ironman races.  The result was a couple of DNFs due to stomach shutdown as a result of trying to take in too many calories.  I have come to regard nutrition as the 4th discipline of Ironman racing.  It doesn't (and shouldn't) have to be complicated but at least go into your final preparation and race day with a plan that you have practiced in your long training days.  This should begin with a sweat test to determine your fluid needs in training and racing.  Everyone will differ in what they prefer for their calories but it is never too early in the season to start figuring it out.

2016-01-11 10:05 PM
in reply to: #5160753

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
I don't have a lot of perspective since last year was my first full season.

One thing I did learn is to not rely on what the race guide says. My 2nd 70.3 was a small local event where I was planning to use the nutrition they had published would be on the bike course. They ended up only having water and Gatorade. I only started with only 1 gel so I was way behind on fuel by the end of the ride. The lesson learned was always take care of myself. Race supplied fuel is a bonus.

Other than that, I could have trained better or pushed harder in a race for better results but it is hard to know how much is too much when still learning. I was satisfied to finish every race and get better in every race.
2016-01-12 8:08 AM

User image

West Des Moines, Iowa

1. Nutrition

2. Nutrition

3. Nutrition

Good advice, thanks Jim. I've honestly struggled quite a bit here since I started seriously training. My plan has been more "eat healthy" as opposed to "eat for a purpose". It's probably time to shift my focus into properly fueling my training. 

2016-01-14 10:54 AM

User image

Pro

I've offered to give a presentation on training with power for the in-shop presentation series at our local bike shop in March.  I know Steve trains with power but who else in the group does?  Which powermeter do you have?   What are some questions you have about training with power that might be good to hear as I put my presentation together.

2016-01-14 10:57 AM

User image

West Des Moines, Iowa

I've offered to give a presentation on training with power for the in-shop presentation series at our local bike shop in March.  I know Steve trains with power but who else in the group does?  Which powermeter do you have?   What are some questions you have about training with power that might be good to hear as I put my presentation together.

I train with virtual power via TrainerRoad...but that's it for now. I've been looking into a Stages Power meter recently, but the cost has held me back.

With prices falling across the board on power meters, my plan was to hold out for another year...or try to find a good deal on something used in the interim. 

2016-01-14 4:25 PM

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa

I don't train with power. I haven't justified the cost yet. I just got my first bike computer last fall.

My biggest question would be, why should I train with power, what are the benefits. From there, what kind of power meter should I buy. Should I buy a power meter for the entry level tri-bike that I have or would a better bike be a better investment first?

The whole subject seems very confusing, possibly because I don't understand the benefits yet.
2016-01-14 5:25 PM

User image

Originally posted by stevemorey

I don't train with power. I haven't justified the cost yet. I just got my first bike computer last fall.

My biggest question would be, why should I train with power, what are the benefits. From there, what kind of power meter should I buy. Should I buy a power meter for the entry level tri-bike that I have or would a better bike be a better investment first?

The whole subject seems very confusing, possibly because I don't understand the benefits yet.

I'll let Jim answer more in depth but I will say it was probably the best investment I made in the sport other than my tri bike. Has changed the way I race and train. That said, you can have success using HR and RPE, but with PM I have been able to dial in much better. Helped my race pacing and my workouts are very structured.

2016-01-15 4:40 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jim, I hope you will have me in the group and here is my story. Sorry for the Length.

NAME: Hunting Triathlete / Todd

STORY: I'm a 40-44 age grouper (40) who tends to finish middle of the pack. I took up triathlon in January of 2010 as a way to help me quit smoking. I smoked a pack a day from just after my high school graduation until Jan. 3, 2010 (over 16 years). I used swimming, cycling, and running to help me through the cravings, and to improve my health. I completed my first Sprint a little more than two months later, then a fifty mile bike ride a month after that, a few more sprints, and then completed the Houston Marathon just a little after my one year smoke free mark. I am proud to say that I have been smoke free for six years now, and will never even take a puff off another cigarette as long as I live. I have chosen to make Triathlon a life style and compete for the enjoyment. I'm not going to say that I never look where I finish, but I compete against myself and care more about the journey along the way. I have completed two Half Ironman races (Racine and Galveston), 1 Olympic, numerous sprints as well as running and cycling events.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for over 15 years, with one beautiful (Spoiled Rotten) daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just getting back at it and ironing out what will be my plan leading up to the race. I do not like to get super technical with my training as I have noticed in the past it just leads to frustration. I pretty much do all training by time or distance for that workout. My biggest hurdle in training is that I work twelve hour shifts with alternating days and also alternate between days and nights even two months.

2016 RACES: Ironman Canada - this will be my first Full Ironman Distance race. I have wanted to do one from the start of all of this and with the wife's OK decided there was no time like the present and purchased our airline tickets (non-refundable) and paid for the race. No backing out, No Excuses.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am lucky in this category and have never had an issue with my weight. I do want to lower my body fat % and become leaner, but that will come with training.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have been a Mentor several times (Todd's Tri Turtles) and know what it takes to keep a group going and how to stay involved. I enjoy the accomplishments of others, whether they are small or large, because the accomplishment is relative to the individual and should be celebrated. I enjoy interacting with others to keep them motivated and positive about their goals, which is turn keeps me positive and motivated about my own goals.
2016-01-15 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

This is a super hot topic for me right now and I have looked at many options. I know for me that my cycling greatly improved from my first Half to my second Half based off of training with HR. After doing research I now know that HR is a good way to train and ride, but is affected by to many variables and does not seem to be as good of a gauge as the power meter would be. I have been looking at the new Stages power meter, which would leave me having to purchase a new crank set because my bike, while 105 and up, has a crank that is not even Tiagra.(research into this told me that it was something Shimano tried that did not stick and was not really what it was advertised to be)

So here is my problem with all of this and was hoping to get your two cents. I have a 2010'ish Kuota K-Factor, stock everything. I am trying to decide if my best bet would be to 1. upgrade my bike and ensure it has 105 or better, which would then allow me to buy a stages to put on the new bike and do nothing else to the bike, 2. upgrade the crank, purchase a stages, maybe get better aero bars, and better wheels (not of Zipp $) (all of this could be moved later to a new frame when money became available, but would not be before my race), 3. upgrade the wheel set and ensure they are laced with a powertap and possibly still upgrade the crank.

I have gone over it a million times and can not decide, because of all the variables. I know that if I decide to purchase new / used that I will go to Tad Hughes here in the Houston area for a pre fit. I understand that he is like a fitting guru and that after the pre fit he gives you all the measurements you need to look for and all the bikes / sizes that will fit, which would open the door to me possibly getting a little older frame / bike at a huge discount with less fear of it not being right for my body.

2016-01-16 4:11 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Jim, I hope you will have me in the group and here is my story. Sorry for the Length. NAME: Hunting Triathlete / Todd STORY: I'm a 40-44 age grouper (40) who tends to finish middle of the pack. I took up triathlon in January of 2010 as a way to help me quit smoking. I smoked a pack a day from just after my high school graduation until Jan. 3, 2010 (over 16 years).

Welcome Todd!  Looks like you'll be joining Steve and myself at IM Canada!

2016-01-16 4:17 PM

User image

Welcome Todd. Congrats on being smoke free fro 6 years. Never been a smoker, so cannot imagine how hard that must have been. Tris seem like a great substitute. Too hard to light up on a bike

IM Canada will be my second 140.6, so we can definitely share info. I have heard great things.
2016-01-16 4:36 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by stevemorey

I don't train with power. I haven't justified the cost yet. I just got my first bike computer last fall. My biggest question would be, why should I train with power, what are the benefits. From there, what kind of power meter should I buy. Should I buy a power meter for the entry level tri-bike that I have or would a better bike be a better investment first? The whole subject seems very confusing, possibly because I don't understand the benefits yet.

I'll start off by saying the thousands of athletes have successfully trained using just HR and RPE...many Ironman World Championships have been won with just those or less.  However, the advent of the power meter has presented athletes and coaches with a very powerful tool.  Although HR can be used to guide training, the HR metric is affected by a variety of things including fatigue status, hydration, life stress, and most importantly cardiac drift.  Drift becomes more of an issue in longer workouts and races, but it essentially a gradual increase in HR over time without any accompanying increase in effort.  Therefore, if you are relying strictly on HR to guide your workout or race pace you will not be hitting the appropriate target.   With a power meter, a watt is a watt.  You exert a force on the bike (measured in watts) and the bike moves down the road.  Various power meters do differ in their accuracy (and precision for that matter) but as long as an athlete uses the same power meter and bike setup all of his power readings will be relatively comparable to his/her situation.  So, if you measure your FTP (or critical power) and base your training zones off of that, it doesn't matter how accurate your particular power meter is relative to another athlete who may be using the same (or different) power meter.  By measuring your FTP (or critical power) either through formal field testing (e.g. 5' and 20' tests) and/or analysis of many training sessions you can design a race plan based on the length of the race and the characteristics of the course.  I use Bestbikesplit to design race power plans for my athletes. 

Today there are a variety of power meter brands and types.  DCRainmaker's website has an entire section on power meter reviews and he posts yearly buyer's guides.  I personally have been using a hub-based Powertap for a long time.  I had it threaded to a training wheel so in order to race with it I put my Zipp disk in the corner and put wheel covers on my training wheel to get the aero benefit of a disk while still having power available to me.  I likely with be getting the new Powertap P1 pedal power meter this spring so I can then race with my Zipp disk.  The pedal-based system can easily be moved from bike to bike.  The same is true of other pm types but the Powertap pedal sounds like its the easiest product to use and it has the Powertap reputation backing it up.  So, which one should you get?  Well, it really depends on your wallet, current bike, wheels, etc.   Everyone's situation is different.  Browsing through the DCRainmaker site is a good place to start.

2016-01-17 10:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Hi all, Greetings from Connecticut!!

Would really like to join the group for 2016

Im currently 47 years old. I ve been on BT and have been participating off and on in triathlon since 2007. I have dove into long course Tri's over the last couple of years completing a couple of 70.3 and one Ironman in Florida.

Im currently signed up for Ironman Mont Tremblant in August of 2016. I am a little nervous as I am not really a hilly course fanatic. Iam looking for guidance and training advice to help me conquer hilly Ironman courses.

I rode the course at Lake Placid 3 times last year and found it exceptionally difficult!!! In light of that I have lost 25 lbs, I am very anxious to test my legs again this season. Im also considering buying a power meter as well this year. Power Tap Hub costs are down to $599!!

I really wanted to challenge myself this year.... I have 2 races planned this year. Quassy and Ironman Tremblant.

Im currently married. I have 2 wonderful children and a very supportive family. I work as a Cardiac Ultrasound Technologist and I am also a Registered Nurse working in Critical Care. I can usually devote 12 -15hrs per week for training.

Happy New Year All!!!

Edited by CarlG 2016-01-17 11:00 AM
2016-01-17 6:13 PM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by CarlG Hi all, Greetings from Connecticut!! Would really like to join the group for 2016 Im currently 47 years old. I ve been on BT and have been participating off and on in triathlon since 2007. I have dove into long course Tri's over the last couple of years completing a couple of 70.3 and one Ironman in Florida. Im currently signed up for Ironman Mont Tremblant in August of 2016. I am a little nervous as I am not really a hilly course fanatic. Iam looking for guidance and training advice to help me conquer hilly Ironman courses. I rode the course at Lake Placid 3 times last year and found it exceptionally difficult!!! In light of that I have lost 25 lbs, I am very anxious to test my legs again this season. Im also considering buying a power meter as well this year. Power Tap Hub costs are down to $599!! I really wanted to challenge myself this year.... I have 2 races planned this year. Quassy and Ironman Tremblant. Im currently married. I have 2 wonderful children and a very supportive family. I work as a Cardiac Ultrasound Technologist and I am also a Registered Nurse working in Critical Care. I can usually devote 12 -15hrs per week for training. Happy New Year All!!!

Welcome Carl!   I was born in MIddletown, CT     You'll love IM M-T   It is one of my favorite IM venues.  Being in the Northeast you'll have access to hills to train on.  Racing hilly courses is all about spinning up and controlling your power output on hills and saving your legs for the run.  Great to have you join us

2016-01-18 2:00 PM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
NAME: Robert Pierce (slides)

STORY: When I was in college like all good students I decided to watch YouTube instead of doing homework. While lazily surfing for new videos I ran across ironman triathlons and decided I could start with a sprint. Like a stubborn young guy I figured I didn’t have to train all that much. Well it took 1 hr 20min to do my first sprint, HA that kicked my into gear. I did another sprint in 2014 with a time of 1hr (while still in school and gained 20 lbs from the previous year….mainly fat). Well school finally got out and I decided to take on a 70.3 and 140.6 in 2015. Boulder 70.3 was fun but I had issues on the run and ended up with a 7hr 70.3. Louisville 140.6 was amazing I was having the best day until mile 70 on the bike. I developed a horrible IT band pain, I powered through the bike at 10-12mph adding 2 hrs to my estimated time, and then started to run or walk in my case. Anyhow I dropped out at mile 11 almost in tears from the pain but I just couldn’t go on, it took over a week to be able to walk normal. So I have nursed my mental and physical injuries from 2015 and I am ready for 2016

CURRENT TRAINING: Just getting back into after the holidays, current goal is to get my running back and lose a little weight.

2016 RACES: Racine WI 70.3 in July. HITS triathlon 70.3 in Waconia MN in August and maybe a few local triathlons here and there.

WEIGHTLOSS: I started college at 165lb by the time I got done I was 195lb. I’m still around 190 but have gained a lot of muscle in my legs. I wouldn’t mind getting to 180lb race weight.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 3 months, no pets except for the minion that I call wife.

THIS YEARS GOALS: I want to break 5:45-5:30 for a 70.3 distance so a large focus of my training will be my run. I got a tri bike (specialized transition) this year and want to log more miles that I did last year I’m aiming for 3000+ bike miles and 500+ run miles. My swimming is good but like all things could gain some speed.

The reason I’m joining this group is Jim Kelly reached out to me via email since he is a local to Minneapolis and has an impressive background in endurance sports.
2016-01-18 7:53 PM
in reply to: slides

User image

Pro

Hey Robert!  Good to hear from you and welcome.  There are some really good duathlons in the area during spring that you should check out to get some early races and intensity in.  I'm doing Apple Duathlon for sure and likely Gear West Du (often cold temps).  For half ironman races check out Orthology Triathlon (formerly known as Liberty Triathlon) - they also have a short distance. Its out at Lake Rebecca Park Reserve in Rockford, MN (I'll be doing that one as well as prep for IM Canada).  Welcome!!

2016-01-19 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Jim, I hope you will have me in the group and here is my story. Sorry for the Length. NAME: Hunting Triathlete / Todd STORY: I'm a 40-44 age grouper (40) who tends to finish middle of the pack. I took up triathlon in January of 2010 as a way to help me quit smoking. I smoked a pack a day from just after my high school graduation until Jan. 3, 2010 (over 16 years).

Welcome Todd!  Looks like you'll be joining Steve and myself at IM Canada!

I knew that Steve was going to be doing IM Canada, but did not know you were, which now makes being in your group just that much better. No need for you or Steve to worry as my time will certainly be slower than both of yours.
2016-01-19 9:06 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete 

I knew that Steve was going to be doing IM Canada, but did not know you were, which now makes being in your group just that much better. No need for you or Steve to worry as my time will certainly be slower than both of yours.

that's a feeble attempt to try to escape pre-race trash talking

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 867 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1048 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31