BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2016-02-25 8:13 PM
in reply to: Wingspan

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)

Originally posted by Wingspan

Question for the group on pre/post workout stretching...

I come from a strong team sports background where you're taught to do a lot of static stretching before any form of dynamic exercise and usually some cool down stretching after a hard workout...which has pretty much been my routine ever since (25+ years now).

In recent discussions with some friends who are multi-marathon & 140.6 finishers, they were strong in dynamic stretching as opposed to static stretching...using a running example that I'm actually better off walking or light jog to loosen up before a long run instead of the old fashioned touch your toes, quad stretching, etc. I tried this out over the weekend as an experiment and really didn't notice much of a difference other than I feel a little more sore today than usual after a fairly middle of the road workout. Their argument (right, wrong or indifferent) was the body was meant to stretch itself out naturally through increased workload and that static stretching can have a negative performance impact. I'm not sure I fully agree...but it was an interesting discussion anyways. 

These guys also strongly recommended yoga for flexibility and recovery 1-2x per week which may play into the equation.

What do others do/recommend for stretching both before and after a workout? 

Sorry, I've been on travel for racing and work so I haven't touched bases here recently.  Frankly, I don't prescribe a lot of pre or post-workout stretching and instead make sure my athletes have proper warmup and cooldowns of 10-20 minutes depending on the workout and whether its s/b/r.  In general though, if one is to do stretching you should probably use dynamic stretching (e.g. lunges, arm swings, etc) pre workout and more static stretching afterwards.  But if time is limited I would spend more time on proper warmup and cooldown using the activity (s/b/r) of the actual workout.

Instead, I prescribe more dedicated time to self-myofascial active release techniques to address trigger points and muscle tightness resulting from training.

2016-02-25 8:16 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)

Originally posted by StevenC
Originally posted by Wingspan

I bought a trainer tire but still have yet to put it on. My rear tire from last year only had a couple hundred miles left on it anyhow so im just burning it down. I think it would be fine riding a trainer tire outside, consider the conditions are more harsh on the trainer with heat and pressure.

I really wouldn't recommend a trainer tire outside. Trainer tires are meant to take the heat from high friction without breaking down or damaging the tube, but isn't concerned with traction on road surfaces. I personally took a short ride on one last year (it's a black trainer tire, I wasn't paying attention) and learned the hard way that they don't give you much traction at all. 

The easiest thing to do is get a cheap second wheel and keep your trainer tire mounted on that one so you can swap back and forth with no effort. I bought a brand new wheel from my LBS for less than $100...there are tons of options on eBay, CL, Slowtwitch, etc. Plus it saves the hassle of mounting/re-mounting those super stiff trainer tires

^^ This, I have a dedicated wheel and tire that I use just for the trainer. Bought used for super cheap. Just switch wheels when I need to hit the road, which takes 2 min.

^^  x2

2016-02-29 11:51 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Minneapolis had a freak heat wave this weekend, it got to 55 degree!!!!

I was able to get out and do 19 miles on the bike which felt great.....also hard going into the headwind. Then did a quick 1 mile run trying to keep the shin splints at bay with some new insoles that i got.
2016-02-29 3:50 PM
in reply to: slides

User image

Pro

Originally posted by slides Minneapolis had a freak heat wave this weekend, it got to 55 degree!!!! I was able to get out and do 19 miles on the bike which felt great.....also hard going into the headwind. Then did a quick 1 mile run trying to keep the shin splints at bay with some new insoles that i got.

It was great wasn't it?  We were downhill skiing at Trollhaugen sitting on the deck at lunch basking in the sun with Bloody Mary's in our hand.  Then we went on a family xc ski afterward which was fantastic.  I'm not quite ready to put the skis away, but I did pick up my new Trek Procaliber 9.7 mountain bike from the shop yesterday.

2016-02-29 10:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by slides Minneapolis had a freak heat wave this weekend, it got to 55 degree!!!! I was able to get out and do 19 miles on the bike which felt great.....also hard going into the headwind. Then did a quick 1 mile run trying to keep the shin splints at bay with some new insoles that i got.

It was great wasn't it?  We were downhill skiing at Trollhaugen sitting on the deck at lunch basking in the sun with Bloody Mary's in our hand.  Then we went on a family xc ski afterward which was fantastic.  I'm not quite ready to put the skis away, but I did pick up my new Trek Procaliber 9.7 mountain bike from the shop yesterday.

Congrats on putting another Steed in the stable. My wife has forced me to be a one horse kind of guy, but one day I'll sneak that 29'er by when she's not looking.
2016-03-01 10:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Nutrition/Hydration

I don't know how y'all do it.  Cold, snow, blah!  It hit 75*F yesterday with blue sky and light wind.  I had a 4:45 ride with a 1:00 of running hill repeats following.  First thing I've learned is no more chili while training.  It wasn't bad but the potential was there!

History:
* My first 70.3 I was a little nauseous after the swim and then just forgot to drink, gels every 30 minutes, and salt tabs.  The "cramping run" was painful!
* My second 70.3 I drank water and Gatorade, gels every 30 minutes, (2) granola bars on the bike, and my run was great.  Finished strong with a slight negative split.
* My last 70.3 I drank water good but went with Perpetuem and a few gels while on the bike.  It wasn't enough or I didn't do it right.  I walked the last 6 miles of the HM.

Hydration: I know this is different for everyone but I'd like to toss this out there with a question or two.  I was drinking about 20-24 oz of water per hour with the intent of added Gatorade Endurance (that's what is served on the course and I've used it before w/o issue) and I was having to pee every hour.  I mean HAVING to pee!  I thought this was excessive?  For my ride yesterday I drank about 16 oz per hour, some of that was an endurance drink, and peed every two hours.  About right?  Also, race day WILL be hotter than 75 and a lot more humid.  I assume as the temps increase I'll need to keep juggling the hydration?

Nutrition: On the bike I cut up Cliff bars to get 50 calories (that would be half a mini that they serve on the course) plus two gels is 250 calories per hour +/- 10-20.  I also used Base Salt yesterday for the first time trading in my Hammer End tabs and regular salt tabs.  It WILL be hot and humid on race day.  On the run I want to back off to around 200 calories per hr. probably just eat gels, fruit, chews, etc.

I plan on carrying some nutrition/hydration on the bike as a back up in case the course food is gone or not what I want.  For the first time in any race I'll be dependent on course food for the run.  They do have a special needs drop bag half way of the bike and run I'm thinking about using.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2016-03-01 11:18 AM

2016-03-01 11:07 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Congrats on putting another Steed in the stable. My wife has forced me to be a one horse kind of guy, but one day I'll sneak that 29'er by when she's not looking.

She got my old Trek 8000 which is still in great shape so she's ok with it

2016-03-01 11:11 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Nutrition/Hydration

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Hydration: I know this is different for everyone but I'd like to toss this out there with a question or two.  I was drinking about 20-24 oz of water per hour with the intent of added Gatorade Endurance (that's what is served on the course and I've used it before w/o issue) and I was having to pee every hour.  I mean HAVING to pee!  I thought this was excessive?  For my ride yesterday I drank about 16 oz per hour, some of that was an endurance drink, and peed every two hours.  About right?  Also, race day WILL be hotter than 75 and a lot more humid.  I assume as the temps increase I'll need to keep juggling the hydration?

How much Gatorade did you add on top of the 20-24 oz of water?  What is the composition of your training ride fluid intake (oz of water and oz of Gatorade)?  If you are taking in a lot more than what you normally do on your training rides your body isn't accustomed to that.  Have you conducted a sweat test?

2016-03-01 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Helmo

I can tell you what worked best for me for the two Half Ironman races I did was a water bottle an hour filled with two scopes of Ironman Perform powder. Just that drink by it's self was over the 250 calories you are speaking about without having to take anything else. I kept shot bloks on the bike and ate a few of them here and there, but that was just something extra to break things up so to speak. I know that for me I have no problem doing liquid calories only and really like it. Training now for my first full I am using Cytomax (includes sodium, electrolytes, and just about everything needed for a long day), which per bottle comes out to about 270 calories. So 1 bottle an hour,and if I want a little extra I drink plain water or have a shot blok. I know that this does not work for some, but it worked for me in the cooler temp's of Wisconsin and humidity of Galveston. By the way I am from the Houston area, so I know what you mean by temp and humidity and it works just fine for me. Just my .02, your body may be much different. When it comes to the run, I just live off the course with Gatorade, water, Oranges, and Bananas.

I just started with the Cytomax and if it does not work out the way I want I will try Infinit. FYI, Chrissie Wellington use to use Cytomax.
2016-03-01 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

How much Gatorade did you add on top of the 20-24 oz of water?  What is the composition of your training ride fluid intake (oz of water and oz of Gatorade)?  If you are taking in a lot more than what you normally do on your training rides your body isn't accustomed to that.  Have you conducted a sweat test?

Typically four hour ride about a third Gatorade.  I have three 24 oz bottles (one's really 28 or so) and I fill one with Gatorade mixed a little stronger than normal, four scoops or so. I have a stop area at the state park where I can get water. I also top off the Gatorade bottle.  So a four hour ride would look like 96 oz of water and 36 oz of Gatorade Endurance.  I guess that's a 1/3 G to W.  And, that's about what I did on the 70.3 course.  About every third or forth sip would be G.  I have not done a sweat test.  Is that where you weigh before and after a workout?

Thanks for the comment, Todd.  I live just south of DFW but the race is in The Woodlands.  I try to stay away from Houston as much as I can, lol.  I did Galveston a couple of years ago.  Great race!  I tried Hammer Perpetuem last year at Lubbock's Buffalo Springs.  I was new to it and probably didn't have it strong enough.  That's a hard course anyway so it's been difficult to put my finger on what went wrong other than I was wiped out about 30 minutes into the run.

EdIt: I have Cytomax now that I picked up at the local health store.  I've been using it like I do Gatorade.  But they'll have G on the course and I won't have to worry with carrying/packing for the full ride.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2016-03-01 3:48 PM
2016-03-01 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Typically four hour ride about a third Gatorade.  I have three 24 oz bottles (one's really 28 or so) and I fill one with Gatorade mixed a little stronger than normal, four scoops or so. I have a stop area at the state park where I can get water. I also top off the Gatorade bottle.  So a four hour ride would look like 96 oz of water and 36 oz of Gatorade Endurance.  I guess that's a 1/3 G to W.  And, that's about what I did on the 70.3 course.  About every third or forth sip would be G.  I have not done a sweat test.  Is that where you weigh before and after a workout?

Thanks for the comment, Todd.  I live just south of DFW but the race is in The Woodlands.  I try to stay away from Houston as much as I can, lol.  I did Galveston a couple of years ago.  Great race!  I tried Hammer Perpetuem last year at Lubbock's Buffalo Springs.  I was new to it and probably didn't have it strong enough.  That's a hard course anyway so it's been difficult to put my finger on what went wrong other than I was wiped out about 30 minutes into the run.

EdIt: I have Cytomax now that I picked up at the local health store.  I've been using it like I do Gatorade.  But they'll have G on the course and I won't have to worry with carrying/packing for the full ride.

Ya, I plan to put some in my special needs bag at the bike half way point, but also plan on carrying the single packs in my jersey to dump into each bottle as I finish. I like Gatorade, but it is just to sugary for my taste when I'm on the bike, but doesn't really bother me on the run, go figure.

2016-03-02 8:19 AM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
I have had excellent luck with "carbo pro" and a 50/50 mix of water Gatorade. I mix mine to 1200 calories & 300g carbs and sip on that water bottle the entire race (3hrs). during my full ironman attempt i packed another water bottle in my special needs and used that.

I also grab bananas at the aid stations, i find that i require more water than most people i think i sweat too much.
2016-03-03 6:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

It seems I picked up the Cytomax not the CytoCarb.  It doesn't have a calorie count that I can find.  Thanks for the comments I might look into CarboPro as well.  

2016-03-03 11:52 AM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
my favorite thing about carbo-pro is there is no taste....or a slight one that your hardly notice. It also doesn't leave me feeling nauseous like other drinks have.
2016-03-04 9:14 AM

User image

Pro

I have not done a sweat test.  Is that where you weigh before and after a workout?

Correct.  Weigh yourself nude before and after (toweled-off) the test...an hour is recommended to keep the calculation more straight-forward.  Convert the weight lost to ounces (A).  If you consumed any fluid during the test be sure to add how many ounces you consumed (B) to the ounces of body weight you lost.  If the duration is 1.0 hour (C) then your sweat loss rate is A+B/C  (ounces per hour).  This would give you a starting point to determine your fluid needs during training and racing.  Practicing your hydration/nutrition plan during your long rides and runs well before your target race is essential.

2016-03-04 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Whistler 70.3
Jim and Steven,

Since I know that both of you are also racing Ironman Canada, have you heard about them now opening up a 70.3 on the same day, and what do you thing about it.

I have to be honest, I'm pretty tick off about it. Yall can say I'm being pissy if you want, and I know that my race is my race, and that this does not have any real effect on my race, but it still ticks me off. I signed up for IM Canada for the challenge and a slightly smaller field. Now I have more people to contend with on race day, transition, the course, restaurants, the area, and Ironman told me nothing about this or the possibility of it when they took my money. I thought, and based off IM history, would have been correct in my belief, that I would be on the course with others who were trying to accomplish the same goal as me on that day. I am in no way bagging on the 70.3 distance, as I've stated I've done two and loved them. I also will likely do just them once I've completed this Ironman. The only positive I see for me is also a negative, which is that if I decide not to do the full distance I can drop to the 70.3, which I'm not going to do (barring something that leave me with no choice), and did not want the option of. Sorry again if this comes off as whining but I feel like WTC just did a bait and switch on me and really don't like it.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2016-03-04 3:20 PM

2016-03-04 4:20 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Jim and Steven,

Since I know that both of you are also racing Ironman Canada, have you heard about them now opening up a 70.3 on the same day, and what do you thing about it.

I have to be honest, I'm pretty tick off about it. Yall can say I'm being pissy if you want, and I know that my race is my race, and that this does not have any real effect on my race, but it still ticks me off. I signed up for IM Canada for the challenge and a slightly smaller field. Now I have more people to contend with on race day, transition, the course, restaurants, the area, and Ironman told me nothing about this or the possibility of it when they took my money. I thought, and based off IM history, would have been correct in my belief, that I would be on the course with others who were trying to accomplish the same goal as me on that day. I am in no way bagging on the 70.3 distance, as I've stated I've done two and loved them. I also will likely do just them once I've completed this Ironman. The only positive I see for me is also a negative, which is that if I decide not to do the full distance I can drop to the 70.3, which I'm not going to do (barring something that leave me with no choice), and did not want the option of. Sorry again if this comes off as whining but I feel like WTC just did a bait and switch on me and really don't like it.

I saw this too and definitely have some of the same feelings of frustration. I do understand that WTC is looking to make a profit and obviously there were not nearly enough 140.6 participants to do so. Trying to focus on the positive which is that we are probably going to be the last to race a 140.6 race at this venue. Imagine that it's done after this year. Agree that it would have been better to have the course to ourselves. But imagine that they only have between 1500-2000 for the full. Even if they have another 1000 sign up for the 70.3 that will still be less than IMAZ. Plus some of the full participants might shift to half. Shame that all the tougher races go away due to lack of support, Tahoe, Silverman, St George Full. I do also think we have reached the saturation point. Even AZ this year didn't sell out instantly as it normally does.
2016-03-05 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Correct.  Weigh yourself nude before and after (toweled-off) the test...an hour is recommended to keep the calculation more straight-forward.  Convert the weight lost to ounces (A).  If you consumed any fluid during the test be sure to add how many ounces you consumed (B) to the ounces of body weight you lost.  If the duration is 1.0 hour (C) then your sweat loss rate is A+B/C  (ounces per hour).  This would give you a starting point to determine your fluid needs during training and racing.  Practicing your hydration/nutrition plan during your long rides and runs well before your target race is essential.

Right on! Thanks for the info., Jim. I've never really looked into this so did some reading yesterday at work. Just for kicks and grins I did the test last night during my 2:20 run and came up with 15.7 oz/hr. I have a 60 minute run scheduled for Wednesday during the day where I'll get a more accurate test. This is probably something I'll keep doing every couple of weeks to see how it changes with the weather.

Edit: Nope, I forgot to change weight diff into ounces. That makes it 33.7 oz/hr replacement. I'll check it again on Wednesday.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2016-03-05 2:55 PM
2016-03-05 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Went for my run this a.m. and found 3 positives. Larger crowd means more support / energy, with me being a slower runner I'll likely get to see a few 70.3 people to cheer on and be inspired by, and knowing that some doing the 70.3 will be inspired by some of us to stay active / possibly take on the challenge themselves.
2016-03-07 10:54 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by StevenC
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Jim and Steven, Since I know that both of you are also racing Ironman Canada, have you heard about them now opening up a 70.3 on the same day, and what do you thing about it. I have to be honest, I'm pretty tick off about it. Yall can say I'm being pissy if you want, and I know that my race is my race, and that this does not have any real effect on my race, but it still ticks me off. I signed up for IM Canada for the challenge and a slightly smaller field. Now I have more people to contend with on race day, transition, the course, restaurants, the area, and Ironman told me nothing about this or the possibility of it when they took my money. I thought, and based off IM history, would have been correct in my belief, that I would be on the course with others who were trying to accomplish the same goal as me on that day. I am in no way bagging on the 70.3 distance, as I've stated I've done two and loved them. I also will likely do just them once I've completed this Ironman. The only positive I see for me is also a negative, which is that if I decide not to do the full distance I can drop to the 70.3, which I'm not going to do (barring something that leave me with no choice), and did not want the option of. Sorry again if this comes off as whining but I feel like WTC just did a bait and switch on me and really don't like it.
I saw this too and definitely have some of the same feelings of frustration. I do understand that WTC is looking to make a profit and obviously there were not nearly enough 140.6 participants to do so. Trying to focus on the positive which is that we are probably going to be the last to race a 140.6 race at this venue. Imagine that it's done after this year. Agree that it would have been better to have the course to ourselves. But imagine that they only have between 1500-2000 for the full. Even if they have another 1000 sign up for the 70.3 that will still be less than IMAZ. Plus some of the full participants might shift to half. Shame that all the tougher races go away due to lack of support, Tahoe, Silverman, St George Full. I do also think we have reached the saturation point. Even AZ this year didn't sell out instantly as it normally does.

I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other.  I haven't even registered yet but that is because I knew it wouldn't sell out so I've been taking my time.  I'm not a fan of having HIM people on the course at the same time purely for logistical reasons - no condescending aspect to it at all - purely congestion.  I visited the venue last summer and drove or ran the entire course but the one thing I did not check out was the swim start and T1 area (not easy to get to).  From past races it sounds like it gets congested with just the full participants so I don't know how it will be with 2 races going on.  I assume the HIM will start later so hopefully it won't impact the full.  I'm not sure I would call this a bait and switch because as we all know, the RD reserves the right to make changes to the race...including cancellation....and when you sign up you know things can change.  Probably best just to focus on things that we can control ourselves.

2016-03-07 12:57 PM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: new way to run
I have been battling shin splints since last year and into this year. Last year my remedy was to only run 1x a week. Well im sick and tired of that style so on friday while on the treadmill i decided to try and change my running technique.

I shortened up my strides, increased my cadence, threw on some compression selves and get shoe inserts.. All of this combined has caused me to stop bouncing up and down as much, less heavy on my landing and i can run at a faster pace with out getting as tired. My 6.5mph is same effort at 6.0mph from a couple weeks ago.

I think with my previous style i was over running my body (over reaching) and this new style has brought my feet back to where they should be. With this new running style and lots of stretching, rolling and the addition of compression selves i think my running area has a chance of getting me to my goal.

Now i look forward to running!!!!

2016-03-07 7:01 PM

User image

So I finally pulled the trigger yesterday on some Powertap P1 powermeter pedals!! Im very excited to start trying them out as soon as they arrive. Also planning on doing my first outdoor ride of the year since the temp is supposed to be 66 degrees I haven't started my HIM training plan yet, so my question is how far out is long enough to start specific training for a Half Ironman? My first HIM is the middle of August.
2016-03-08 11:02 AM
in reply to: btyson

User image

congrats. post review after you have a chance to use. don't want to scrap my Quarq but I wish these were an option a couple years ago.
2016-03-11 11:46 AM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: aero position
I got a pro bike fitting done and now im trying to get use to the aero position. From veteran tri bike riders does it take some time and if so how long?

I have only rode roughly 100 miles my tri bike.
2016-03-11 12:51 PM

User image

Subject: RE: aero position
Originally posted by slides

I got a pro bike fitting done and now im trying to get use to the aero position. From veteran tri bike riders does it take some time and if so how long?

I have only rode roughly 100 miles my tri bike.

Not really a veteran but 2 full seasons with my tri bike, here's my take. It took me quite a few miles to get comfortable staying aero for long periods of time. Having strong core certainly helps. You are not just resting on your forearms having them bear all the weight. The first few months, I owned my TT bike, I built up time in aero until I could hold for extended periods of time.

I will add a however...you should also not be uncomfortable right out of the box. If so, then it's not a good fit for you. Being super aero is not helpful if you cannot hold it.

Does that make sense?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 866 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1047 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31