BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2016-03-11 1:44 PM
in reply to: btyson

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)

Originally posted by btyson So I finally pulled the trigger yesterday on some Powertap P1 powermeter pedals!! Im very excited to start trying them out as soon as they arrive. Also planning on doing my first outdoor ride of the year since the temp is supposed to be 66 degrees I haven't started my HIM training plan yet, so my question is how far out is long enough to start specific training for a Half Ironman? My first HIM is the middle of August.

Let us know how you like the P1 pedal system.

As for your question on specific training for your HIM....that really depends on what you classify as "specific training".  Typically when we talk about constructing a training plan we break it up into the Preparation Phase and a Competition Phase.  The Preparation Phase is further divided into General and Specific sub-phases.  I don't get hung up too much on adhering to any rules about how long these periods can be.  When I hear someone say "I'm going to start my Ironman training 20 weeks out" I take that with a grain of salt because surely they've been training already and the number of weeks they actually end up preparing for the race is longer than 20 weeks.

Anyway, it sounds like you are about 20+ weeks out from your HIM.  So, an easy approach would be to split up those 20 weeks into 10 weeks for the Preparation Phase and 10 weeks for the Competition Phase.  Within the Preparation Phase you could allocate 5 weeks for the General subphase and 5 for the Specific.  In the General subphase you emphasize building aerobic endurance and strength and in the Specific subphase you start integrating race-specific training (e.g. more threshold training, sport-specific interval training).  In the Competition phase you continue building sustainable power, start introducing B races, race simulation workouts, etc.  Does that help?

2016-03-14 11:24 AM
in reply to: #5157537

Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)
**Replying on my phone so I apologize for typos, tone etc.**

Another training question for you.

I'm about 5 weeks from 70.3 New Orleans. My longest distances in training have been: swim 2125 yards (pool lap swim), 28 miles cycling, 8.5 miles running. I'm thinking about adjusting my training to work on my deficiencies, namely cycling. I've read where you should break up your training: 50% cycling, 30% running, 20% swimming. So, I was thinking about dropping a swim workout and adding a bike workout. Currently, My weekly workout is four runs, three rides and three swims:

Run: Sunday, long run; Monday, recovery run; Wednesday, LT or speed work; Friday, Form work.

Cycling: two trainer rides focusing on LT and cadence/temp and long ride on Saturday or BRICK on Sunday. Most of the time I've had to do a BRICK because time gets away on Saturday.

Swimming: three workouts building up to the race distance.

However, a friend who is a tri-veteran cautioned me against dropping as swim workout. He said I should drop my running from four workouts to two at the minimum, three at the max, go from three to four bike workouts and keep my swimming at three.

I'm registered and committed to New Orleans (lodging paid for, etc.) and want these last few weeks to be really beneficial. Any and all thoughts would be welcomed.
2016-03-17 4:40 PM
in reply to: jmattix

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Are you swimming in a masters group? when i joined a group i made crazy gains doping 15 seconds of my 100 yd split. I would highly suggest that.

I'm only on week 3 of a 20 week plan and most of my workouts consist of doing 3 swims, 3 bikes and 3 runs a week....if i don't have issues running that is. So far the workouts have been around these distance, 20 mile ride, 3 to 5 mile run and a 2500 yd swim.

In the past i have found running too much causes injury and that is whats happening again so im switching from 3x to 2x per a week and adding in another cycling as a "recover" session.
2016-03-17 4:41 PM
in reply to: slides

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: Shin splints again.
These are my downfall, i can swim, i can bike but i cant run. I have tried compression socks, ice, rolling, stretching etc. i think its time to get a coach and see if there is anything with my form i can change.

2016-03-17 7:00 PM

User image

could you cut one of your swims back in duration? I think just getting in the water for short 30 min session is benefitial. If I swim only once or twice in a week I lose the "feel" of the water. So do swim/run brick one day.
2016-03-17 7:09 PM
in reply to: slides

User image

Subject: RE: Shin splints again.
if you are constantly getting injured, then there is definitely something wrong with your form. A local coach could video you at a track and give you advice. Look online to see if there is somebody in your area. There are also places that will do gait analysis. At a min, you could ask a friend to video you so you can see what you are doing. What we think we look like and actual are always quite different And then post online, you'll get plenty of advice. Only issue is sorting thru and good and bad advice.

Not an expert but been working on improvements the past couple of years. Higher cadence, midfoot strike under center of body, landing softly, all have helped. If you see a very good runner listen to their footstrike...it's a tap, tap, tap. Versus some of us with the stomp, stomp, stomp.

2016-03-21 6:38 PM

User image

So I got the book How To Train and Race With a Power Meter and am looking forward to training and racing with my Powertap P1 pedals this season. Have not had much opportunity to use them yet but I plan on using them tomorrow for a ride!!
2016-03-22 6:43 PM

User image

Originally posted by btyson

So I got the book How To Train and Race With a Power Meter and am looking forward to training and racing with my Powertap P1 pedals this season. Have not had much opportunity to use them yet but I plan on using them tomorrow for a ride!!

Great book. A must read for anyone who wants to maximize their PM. I still refer back to it often.

2016-03-22 7:09 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by btyson So I got the book How To Train and Race With a Power Meter and am looking forward to training and racing with my Powertap P1 pedals this season. Have not had much opportunity to use them yet but I plan on using them tomorrow for a ride!!

Phil Skiba's book "The Triathletes guide to training with power" is also good and is a little less intimidating than HTTRWPM

2016-03-22 7:46 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmattix **Replying on my phone so I apologize for typos, tone etc.** Another training question for you. I'm about 5 weeks from 70.3 New Orleans. My longest distances in training have been: swim 2125 yards (pool lap swim), 28 miles cycling, 8.5 miles running. I'm thinking about adjusting my training to work on my deficiencies, namely cycling. I've read where you should break up your training: 50% cycling, 30% running, 20% swimming. So, I was thinking about dropping a swim workout and adding a bike workout. Currently, My weekly workout is four runs, three rides and three swims: Run: Sunday, long run; Monday, recovery run; Wednesday, LT or speed work; Friday, Form work. Cycling: two trainer rides focusing on LT and cadence/temp and long ride on Saturday or BRICK on Sunday. Most of the time I've had to do a BRICK because time gets away on Saturday. Swimming: three workouts building up to the race distance. However, a friend who is a tri-veteran cautioned me against dropping as swim workout. He said I should drop my running from four workouts to two at the minimum, three at the max, go from three to four bike workouts and keep my swimming at three. I'm registered and committed to New Orleans (lodging paid for, etc.) and want these last few weeks to be really beneficial. Any and all thoughts would be welcomed.

Sorry this is a little late (work travel last week).  Yes, your longest ride to date is definitely your limiter right now.  Unfortunately you don't have much time to do a nice gradual buildup to longer distances.  I would agree with the advice to not drop a swim workout....2 swims/week is not very much.  As for the bike, if you stay at 3 workouts/week I would drop one of the trainer rides at LT and instead replace it with a longer ride with bouts of riding at higher intensity ( e.g. long warm-up followed by 4x10 miles as 7 miles @ 90-95%CP/3 miles @70-75%CP).  If you go to 4 bikes/week I would still drop one of the trainer rides (unless you are really strapped for time in your weekly life schedule) and replace it with a mid-distance ride with some race simulation work.  I don't agree with reducing the number of runs, but I would change the types of runs you are doing.  If you are doing a long run on Sunday I would not run on Monday by doing a "recovery run".  If you are doing a true "long run" (i.e. more than 10 miles in my book) on Sunday then don't run on Monday...move that run to another day if possible to give your legs a "rest" from running.  Rather than dropping a run workout I would instead keep the number of runs at 4/week. I'm not sure what you call "form work"?  You are too close to your race to worry about working on run efficiency/form/etc.  You just need to build leg durability by running...period...it doesn't have to be fancy.  There is nothing sexy about the 70.3/IM run.  I get a little nervous when I hear athletes talk about "speed work"...what exactly does that consist of for you?  For your 3 remaining runs, something like 2 easy (and I mean easy) runs of 30-40 minutes and another run of 40-50 minutes with some intensity mixed in (e.g. fartlek, alternating 8' easy followed by 2' @ M or T pace) would be plenty. If you are tight on time then a shorter brick run might substitute for one of your easy runs.   One thing you don't want to do as your race approaches and you kick into taper mode is to start eliminating intensity.  Too many athletes start reducing volume AND intensity 3 weeks out and start losing fitness by race day.  Reduce volume gradually but keep some intensity in there.

2016-03-23 11:26 AM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Shin splints again.
There is a place by me that does 30 min $100, 60 min $150. For an extra $50 might as well do the 60 min session.

2016-03-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Thanks for the reply and the info!

I've kept up with my swim workouts. 3 times a week, I'll do this workout: 400 yard warmup, 200 pull buoy and 200 kick board. Then 8x100 sprints with 30 second rest between 100s. Then 200 cool down. This weekend, I'll be getting out into the open water and swimming about 1.3 miles (I think it's actually a little more than that.).

I managed to do a long, 42 mile bike ride on Saturday and have been riding 15 miles on the road on Tuesdays and Thursdays since the weather has been much better. Around here, there are a ton of hills, so there's no such thing as a long, slow distance. It's always an intense workout. So, when you say mid-distance do you mean half of the race distance? Or does the distance matter as much as the intensity?

For my runs, I have kept 2 runs as 20-30 minutes at a decent pace, but nothing intense. Sunday, I did a long workout with 2x 35 minutes at 9-9:30 which I think will be faster than I'll be able to actually run the 13.1 at. When I say "form" work, I mean a decently paced run (10:30-11) focusing on keeping good form instead of speed or intensity. My app has me doing a set workout that would be 5 and 1. 5 minutes at threshold pace and one minute recovery 3 or 5 times depending on the week.

Since I only have this week and next to really push before my two week taper, what do you think about this schedule:
Wednesday: this morning my run workout was 5 minute warmup 15 minutes at 9:00 pace, 3 minute recover and 5 minute cool down. Tonight I'll be doing, most likely, the same swim workout from above.
Thursday: At least 15 miles at 16+mph. I may do this loop twice if I can make it.
Friday: off. Possibly a 30 minute light run.
Saturday: open water swim 1.3+ miles. 8.5 mile run at 10:30-11 minute pace.
Sunday: Easter, so I hope to get in a 40 mile ride. I'll have to see what happens.

Monday: 30 minute easy run. Swim workout.
Tuesday: I could do your recommended 4x10 ride if there's enough daylight.
Wednesday: 40 minute fartlek (8/2 @ 9:00 pace) per your recommendation. Swim workout.
Thursday: 15 mile ride @ 16+mph
Friday: 30 minute easy run. Swim workout.
Saturday: Last 40 mile ride unless I can go farther.
Sunday: Run: 5 minute warm up 8 miles @ 9:30-10 minute pace. 5 minute cool down.

I work 8-5 so, I'm finding it hard to get in four bike workouts since they tend to be longer. I normally go right after work and ride until the sun sets and that still only gets me an hour or so. Do you see where I could do something differently? What would you recommend changing/increasing/decreasing and how could I effectively taper?
2016-04-12 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Yesterday was my "long" day. I only got 3100 of 3800 yards in the pool because I ran out of time. I only got 99.2 of 110 miles due to a flat (something is in my tire popping the tubes and had to call for a ride). I did get in the 30 minute run! But the most notable event was the heat index climbed into the 90's! I had to run a 10:30 m/m to stay in Zone 1. I think with a longer run I would have accumulated and my HR would have come down. Summer is here in North Texas!

2016-05-23 8:26 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Thanks for the tips and suggestions! I finished my first full Ironman last weekend. It was a crazy race. They had to shorten the bike course by 18 miles due to flooding (still a little upset about it but nothing I could do), the canal we were finishing the swim in was deemed unsafe so they modified the route and relocated T1, and a bad thunderstorm hit on the run stopping the race with a lot of rain, lightning, high winds, and some hail. My Garmin also died around mile 35 of the bike and I had to wing it the rest of the way. 

I finished the race strong, only walking at aid stations to drink, with a 11:50 time (I averaged 18 mph on the bike so it would have been 12:50 for 112 miles). I had gas left in the tank and really feel I could have done better on the run but I didn't have anything to pace myself with. The venue, volunteers, and fans were simply incredible. I see how addicting Ironman can be!!

2016-08-15 8:37 PM

User image

So I finished my second Half Ironman of the year this weekend at Steelhead in Michigan. I finished in a time of 5:15:43 and improved from my PR of 5:42:13 earlier this spring. My question is how to train and recover this week since I have a sprint race this weekend (6 days after the HIM)? Also I have another HIM in 4 weeks. Should I do recovery for one week train decently hard for two weeks and then taper for the last week? Any suggestions/experience would be appreciated Thanks, Bennett
2016-08-16 2:40 AM

Hi Jim,

Wanted to see if I could join this group. I know its a bit late but I just stumbled across this while browsing the forums. I plan to do IMKY in October and this will be my first 140.6. I have long distance experience in cycling (doubles) but am new to the world of Tris. Prior to December I couldn't even swim a lap in a pool. This past June I did my first ever Olympic Distance Rae in 2:29 and yesterday my first 70.3 in 7:57. Looking to join like minded athletes as I train these final two months before the big race.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 866 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1047 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31