General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New here - Introduction from Vancouver Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-23 11:35 AM

Subject: New here - Introduction from Vancouver
Good morning. Well, I've decided it's time to explore the world of Tri. I've just completed my 6th Marathon (walked 95% of it with my 14 year old son) and am looking to explore what it takes to commit to this. Long term goal is to complete an Iron Man before I'm 60, about 3 1/2 years from now which should be enough.

I'm confident in the run, somewhat confident in the cycle but far less confident in the swim. I do belong to a club with an indoor pool and could swim laps there to get some endurance and distance experience but not too excited about outdoor swimming, especially during the winter months.

Some questions:
1. Are wet suits allowed for the swim? If so, are they used more for warmth or buoyancy? What are some pros/cons?
2. I know running on a treadmill is very different than running outside. Does the same concept apply to swimming? How about cycling on a stationary bike vs. outside?
3. Any recommendations for a first Tri to try?

Thanks,
Rodney

2016-01-04 9:39 AM
in reply to: RodneyW

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: New here - Introduction from Vancouver

Hi Rod, and welcome!

To answer your questions:

1) Wetsuits are allowed in most races, and it's water temperature dependent. Most any event you do in Washington and Oregon will be wetsuit legal. As for the buoyancy vs. warmth part, it's one or the other, or even both. Wetsuit buoyancy adds a bit of a safety factor, but I caution you to not use that as a crutch. It also helps with body position in the water for some people, which helps with swim form and speed. But there's a trade-off with the time needed to doff the wetsuit in first transition. I'm in the warmth camp. I've found that the warmth I have in the wetsuit makes me faster in the bike immediately, and that alone offsets the time to remove it in T1. Don't bother with outdoor swimming in the winter. In fact, in my area the outdoor season would run May to October.

2) Don't worry about it. Yes, the experience is different in open water, but it's more sighting related and keeping in a straight line. Train in the pool, do some open water swimming when the season allows. For cycling, though, there are many people who retreat indoors for "safety" reasons, or justify that they get a better workout on the trainer than out on the road. And usually I can recognize these people when they do get out on the road by their form and (in)ability to ride in a straight line. YMMV.

3) There are a large number of events in Washington and especially the Portland area. I've liked the Hagg Lake (southwest of Portland) races, and there's a tri out of Blue Lake Park (east of Portland) that's a high quality race. Check with the locals and shops.

2016-01-12 1:19 AM
in reply to: RodneyW

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Welcome to the sport. There is a good community here in the Vancouver area that will do open water swimming as it gets warmer. Much of what you do indoors gives you the fitness but getting outside really helps too. Let me know if you are interested in meeting for a run and I can share about some local races that would be a great place to start.
2016-02-10 5:20 PM
in reply to: 0

Rodney, I did my first tri last years. Started about this time a year ago training. Indoor swimming is important during the winter months but finding groups to workout with and do outdoor/open water swims is very helpful. I joined a team from Vancouver which is great for beginners. It is known as TRIumph Triathlon Team. You can find the team on Facebook and get in touch with the coach. If you want someone to workout with, runs, cycling or swims let me know.

Edited by sparky70.3 2016-02-10 5:22 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New here - Introduction from Vancouver Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Introduction

Started by TriFreaks Sports
Views: 1534 Posts: 5

2014-01-13 10:28 AM flywiththefalcon

Swim coach around Longview/Vancouver area

Started by Newbie911
Views: 1075 Posts: 2

2012-09-28 6:22 PM Muskrat37

Vancouver bike routes?

Started by GRB1
Views: 1244 Posts: 3

2010-09-02 12:36 PM cbrave

Salmon Creek, Vancouver, WA

Started by deehtz
Views: 1091 Posts: 1

2010-07-29 2:56 AM deehtz

just moved to vancouver

Started by vonrunner
Views: 2194 Posts: 8

2007-12-25 2:41 PM Rodney
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Akuma
I am 28 now, hardly an old crony, but life in busy Sydney Australia has meant my belly is softer than the excuses I use to convince myself I am in good shape.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.