BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-04-07 7:21 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed

Originally posted by Jet Black lol Ben. Awesome stuff Adrienne. Kauai is my favorite place on the planet.

Oh, that's right. Do Canadians follow Leap Year?

2016-04-07 9:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by DaveL This showed up in my Facebook feed so I though I would share. I did my 97th ride this morning (catching up) and have my 98th ride tonight.

What's your day off?

I can see this question two ways so I will answer it both ways

1. I actually took 3 days off when I went away skiing and we had to take a hotel without a gym so I couldnt bike then. I have been able to catch up on the 3 missed workouts by doing 2 a days. While I wont have biked "every day" I figure that if I can get 366 rides in for the year I am doing pretty good.

2. If you mean that I should take a rest day each week I kind of do by doing an easy 1 hour ride each week.

3. Maybe I completely misread your comment - if so please let me know.

Edited by DaveL 2016-04-07 9:19 PM
2016-04-08 6:10 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by DaveL

Originally posted by DaveL This showed up in my Facebook feed so I though I would share. I did my 97th ride this morning (catching up) and have my 98th ride tonight.

What's your day off?

I can see this question two ways so I will answer it both ways

1. I actually took 3 days off when I went away skiing and we had to take a hotel without a gym so I couldnt bike then. I have been able to catch up on the 3 missed workouts by doing 2 a days. While I wont have biked "every day" I figure that if I can get 366 rides in for the year I am doing pretty good.

2. If you mean that I should take a rest day each week I kind of do by doing an easy 1 hour ride each week.

3. Maybe I completely misread your comment - if so please let me know.
I think he was meaning that there is 366 days this year so if you only ride 365 then you need to pick which day for the year you aren't riding
2016-04-08 6:14 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ceilidh

Hey all an AWOL fly-by.

I am home from the non-race, Vacation of Illness.  Of course, to top things off, I am still not well. I can eat, bland stuff, but food non-the-less. But I have chills and aches. So.... viral something? I do not know. I am so damn far behind in my training I am not sure I can catch up. I will, however, try. This is a huge volume week. I am gonna take the rest of it and make an "as much volume as I can do without hurting myself more" week and then see where I am later. I have determined I am race-cursed. Heck, at the Ocala race, it was all I could do to get up and just watch my friends race. I would have died trying it.

as an aside, it is really sad that the HITS races seem to be very diminished on all levels with the change in race director. I can only speak for this race, but having been before and now, the difference is night and day. Sad because it is such a great opportunity for all levels of folks to get to race at the same time.

How are you feeling, Robin? I hope a bit better every day.

I think that HITS has the same challenge all others have, which is IM branding. Much like Rev3 or Challenge Family, heck even B2B, any of the other companies that try to go (inter)national run into the 800 pound gorilla. That is not a complaint on my part, simply a business observation.

2016-04-08 6:27 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Yay, my first race of the year is on Sunday!  It will be the first 5k of many this year.  I hope to start of with a PR and crack 21 minutes.

2016-04-08 7:17 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

Hey all an AWOL fly-by.

I am home from the non-race, Vacation of Illness.  Of course, to top things off, I am still not well. I can eat, bland stuff, but food non-the-less. But I have chills and aches. So.... viral something? I do not know. I am so damn far behind in my training I am not sure I can catch up. I will, however, try. This is a huge volume week. I am gonna take the rest of it and make an "as much volume as I can do without hurting myself more" week and then see where I am later. I have determined I am race-cursed. Heck, at the Ocala race, it was all I could do to get up and just watch my friends race. I would have died trying it.

as an aside, it is really sad that the HITS races seem to be very diminished on all levels with the change in race director. I can only speak for this race, but having been before and now, the difference is night and day. Sad because it is such a great opportunity for all levels of folks to get to race at the same time.

I think that HITS has the same challenge all others have, which is IM branding. Much like Rev3 or Challenge Family, heck even B2B, any of the other companies that try to go (inter)national run into the 800 pound gorilla. That is not a complaint on my part, simply a business observation.

I am getting better bit by bit. Thanks.

The HITS had a really great race director. He was really "involved" and his presence was big during the whole weekend. The staff and volunteers were all told to reflect the race at all times. This year, the race director was there, but had little to no involvement in what was going on. He stood and just watched with hunched shoulders and didn't even acknowledge a HI as folks went by. The staff was non-helpful with one notable exception and the volunteers reflected this attitude. There was minimum support for racers (and volunteers). They had no plan set up for weather changes (it is Fla.. the weather is going to change, they should have known what to do). They changed the course at the last minute (from packed trail/road to totally trail (sandy). That is a big damn deal or 13 or 26 miles running. There was more... The thing about this series is it has a nitche that no other race series does so competition from other 'brands" is not as stiff. I hope they pull through it, but I would not bet on it after watching this one.  At least they kept their transition set up. It is the best transition area I have ever seen.

Edited by ceilidh 2016-04-08 7:18 AM

2016-04-08 8:18 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Yay, my first race of the year is on Sunday!  It will be the first 5k of many this year.  I hope to start of with a PR and crack 21 minutes.

Have a great race!

2016-04-08 8:20 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

Master
Northern IL

Hey all an AWOL fly-by.

I am getting better bit by bit. Thanks.

The HITS had a really great race director. He was really "involved" and his presence was big during the whole weekend. The staff and volunteers were all told to reflect the race at all times. This year, the race director was there, but had little to no involvement in what was going on. He stood and just watched with hunched shoulders and didn't even acknowledge a HI as folks went by. The staff was non-helpful with one notable exception and the volunteers reflected this attitude. There was minimum support for racers (and volunteers). They had no plan set up for weather changes (it is Fla.. the weather is going to change, they should have known what to do). They changed the course at the last minute (from packed trail/road to totally trail (sandy). That is a big damn deal or 13 or 26 miles running. There was more... The thing about this series is it has a nitche that no other race series does so competition from other 'brands" is not as stiff. I hope they pull through it, but I would not bet on it after watching this one.  At least they kept their transition set up. It is the best transition area I have ever seen.

Wondering what happened behind the scenes with that. They may have a nitch, but don't think it was big enough of one as tri is already a nitch sport. It really is amazing how powerful the Ironman name is. Another put it correctly in that IM is not an 800 lb gorilla, but more like a 2,000 lb one. Everyone else is a few lemurs trying to take some shots at them. Even Challenge couldn't dent them over here.

2016-04-08 8:33 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

Had someone at work ask the question of "What's a good bike brand that can ride in all types of conditions for under $500?"

Following that up with "What size should I get?" I'm at least 8" taller and opposite in body types.

It is a little weird not have that good of answers for someone with bike questions.

2016-04-08 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Good luck Tom
2016-04-08 10:19 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Yay! I'm so happy for you Good luck with starting 2016 racing season!

2016-04-08 10:21 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado

Hey all an AWOL fly-by.

Ugh... I hope you're feeling better!
2016-04-08 10:22 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Had someone at work ask the question of "What's a good bike brand that can ride in all types of conditions for under $500?"

Following that up with "What size should I get?" I'm at least 8" taller and opposite in body types.

It is a little weird not have that good of answers for someone with bike questions.

lol the struggle is real
2016-04-08 10:29 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Good luck breaking that PR and 21 minutes, Foxy Tom!  I can't wait to hear how it goes!

I'm racing tomorrow and it may be 'epic'*, depending on the weather.  Even if the weather isn't as bad as predicted, it will still be interesting!

*the use of epic was specifically for Chris

Edited by melbo55 2016-04-08 10:36 AM
2016-04-08 10:33 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Come on, Ben, you mean you don't have all the bike answers?    You aren't a human computer that spits out the ideal bike brand/size/price for any given person?  I kid, I kid.  

Or you mean like someone sending you a far away picture of a bike and asking, "Will this be a good bike for me?"  That happened to me this week.  My response: "Uh, maybe, if it's not too small for you and actually works."

2016-04-08 10:48 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by melbo55

Good luck breaking that PR and 21 minutes, Foxy Tom!  I can't wait to hear how it goes!

I'm racing tomorrow and it may be 'epic'*, depending on the weather.  Even if the weather isn't as bad as predicted, it will still be interesting!

Good luck Tom and Melanie.  I hope you have both have 'epic' races.

I'm going to crack the ice too and run a 5k (well mostly run).  I'm not really ready but it is one of the best local races that goes right in front of my house and has great swag (I love engraved pint glasses).  It would be too painful to get up and stand in front of my house with a cup of coffee in hand watching the masses go by.

2016-04-08 10:52 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Come on, Ben, you mean you don't have all the bike answers?    You aren't a human computer that spits out the ideal bike brand/size/price for any given person?  I kid, I kid.  

Or you mean like someone sending you a far away picture of a bike and asking, "Will this be a good bike for me?"  That happened to me this week.  My response: "Uh, maybe, if it's not too small for you and actually works."

haha funny, because I also always thought Ben was a bike expert
2016-04-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by popsracer

I'm going to crack the ice too and run a 5k (well mostly run).  I'm not really ready but it is one of the best local races that goes right in front of my house and has great swag (I love engraved pint glasses).  It would be too painful to get up and stand in front of my house with a cup of coffee in hand watching the masses go by.

Oh, I am so happy for you! I hope you enjoy it as much as you can ))))

Melanie, I am running my very very first half-marathon tomorrow as well, and it may be epic as well as Chicago has welcomed plenty of snow this week.
(funny how some folks skipped January race because of the snow and registered for April one hoping for spring-ish conditions...)
2016-04-08 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

LITERALLY the MOST EPIC race EVER!!!!!!

2016-04-08 11:03 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83

Oh, I am so happy for you! I hope you enjoy it as much as you can )))) Melanie, I am running my very very first half-marathon tomorrow as well, and it may be epic as well as Chicago has welcomed plenty of snow this week. (funny how some folks skipped January race because of the snow and registered for April one hoping for spring-ish conditions...)

So excited for your first HM!!!!!!! Just dress in layers so you can peel stuff off as you go.

2016-04-08 11:17 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by rrrunner

Oh, I am so happy for you! I hope you enjoy it as much as you can )))) Melanie, I am running my very very first half-marathon tomorrow as well, and it may be epic as well as Chicago has welcomed plenty of snow this week. (funny how some folks skipped January race because of the snow and registered for April one hoping for spring-ish conditions...)

So excited for your first HM!!!!!!! Just dress in layers so you can peel stuff off as you go.

Thanks! I worry a little because I barely run in the last two weeks - I had a really bad cold for over a week and today I woke up with runny nose and sore throat again. Well, I do not worry about a cold as much as I worry about endurance and strength to run 13 miles if the most I completed was a bit less than 10 few weeks ago... But I am (surprisingly) staying very positive I will be running slower and will stop/walk at water stations (as per your advices).
I will dress warmer, that's for sure. I don't want to end up with another cold.
The best part I am excited about is BEER and PIZZA at the finish line!

I hope all of us first-timers will have a great time this weekend despite the weather and other obstacles

2016-04-08 11:18 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pennsylvania

Very cool, Steve!  Yeah, that would be a tough one, watching the race go past your house and not participating.  Good luck, have fun, and enjoy that glass, especially with a refreshing libation to fill it post-race!

2016-04-08 11:22 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks! I worry a little because I barely run in the last two weeks - I had a really bad cold for over a week and today I woke up with runny nose and sore throat again. Well, I do not worry about a cold as much as I worry about endurance and strength to run 13 miles if the most I completed was a bit less than 10 few weeks ago... But I am (surprisingly) staying very positive I will be running slower and will stop/walk at water stations (as per your advices). I will dress warmer, that's for sure. I don't want to end up with another cold. The best part I am excited about is BEER and PIZZA at the finish line! I hope all of us first-timers will have a great time this weekend despite the weather and other obstacles

Reason enough to race right there!  Have fun out there, be smart, be safe, and enjoy the day, savoring the well-earned pizza and beer at the finish.  Come to think of it, pizza and beer are why I'm racing tomorrow, too.  2 'free' beers at the finish and a nearby coal fire hearthstone oven pizza place makes it all worthwhile!

2016-04-08 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Thanks! I worry a little because I barely run in the last two weeks - I had a really bad cold for over a week and today I woke up with runny nose and sore throat again. Well, I do not worry about a cold as much as I worry about endurance and strength to run 13 miles if the most I completed was a bit less than 10 few weeks ago... But I am (surprisingly) staying very positive I will be running slower and will stop/walk at water stations (as per your advices). I will dress warmer, that's for sure. I don't want to end up with another cold. The best part I am excited about is BEER and PIZZA at the finish line! I hope all of us first-timers will have a great time this weekend despite the weather and other obstacles

Reason enough to race right there!  Have fun out there, be smart, be safe, and enjoy the day, savoring the well-earned pizza and beer at the finish.  Come to think of it, pizza and beer are why I'm racing tomorrow, too.  2 'free' beers at the finish and a nearby coal fire hearthstone oven pizza place makes it all worthwhile!

Yum. Pizza and beer!

2016-04-08 12:02 PM

Master
Northern IL

haha funny, because I also always thought Ben was a bike expert

So I'm looking into inflatable pool rafts & rubber duck floaties ...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 866 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.