BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-02-04 11:57 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed

Uh oh!  Amazon Prime Now is available in Raleigh now.  This could be trouble.

2016-02-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: #5165328

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
The knee feels fine after taking some ideas from here. I haven't tested running since Tuesday because I decided not to continue to aggravate it. I'll try again tomorrow or Saturday.
2016-02-04 4:42 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hi all!!

Loooooong time, I know...  Kind of a proof of life post from an "alum," but also a quick pop-in just to say hey to my fave pod.

Update:  Lost my mom in December after 6 months of living with cancer (two different kinds, as it turned out, which were actually her third and fourth cancers - she was a tough one!).  Had a wonderful last half year with her, but it's never long enough, is it?  Glad to have spent the time with her and family, and lucky we were able to.

Still loving Texas - yeeeehaw!!!  Family is all good.  Still re-doing our new house (move in likely in June, NOT last August as originally planned). Totally loving work, too.

Been active with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - since before mom's diagnosis, but have since been asked to be the 2016 Corporate Walk Chair for Light The Night Walk here in central Texas.  Humbled and honored to be able to give back, even in a small way (check out LTN - it's a terrific LLS fundraising event(s), and there's probably a walk near you!).

My strained Achilles is pretty much back, after 6 SOLID months of rehab!  Haven't done any speedwork (and don't plan to for a while), but I can now run several times a week and even did an easy hill run with Kim this week - with no pain!  WINNING!

Still have a balky-but-I-can-run-with-it hammy (been well over 20 years, so I'm not figuring on fixing that in this lifetime).  The real bummer is my "swimmer's elbow" (medial epichondylitis), as I still can't swim despite months of rehab.  Turns out that when you train hard through minor injuries for 6 months, you get to live with them for a bit longer than normal.  <facepalm>

Hope you're all well and having a lovely year.

I also hope to be back around more, if bit by bit.

Yours in pod-i-ness,

Matt

2016-02-04 5:15 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hi all!!

Loooooong time, I know...  Kind of a proof of life post from an "alum," but also a quick pop-in just to say hey to my fave pod.

Update:  Lost my mom in December after 6 months of living with cancer (two different kinds, as it turned out, which were actually her third and fourth cancers - she was a tough one!).  Had a wonderful last half year with her, but it's never long enough, is it?  Glad to have spent the time with her and family, and lucky we were able to.

Still loving Texas - yeeeehaw!!!  Family is all good.  Still re-doing our new house (move in likely in June, NOT last August as originally planned). Totally loving work, too.

Been active with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - since before mom's diagnosis, but have since been asked to be the 2016 Corporate Walk Chair for Light The Night Walk here in central Texas.  Humbled and honored to be able to give back, even in a small way (check out LTN - it's a terrific LLS fundraising event(s), and there's probably a walk near you!).

My strained Achilles is pretty much back, after 6 SOLID months of rehab!  Haven't done any speedwork (and don't plan to for a while), but I can now run several times a week and even did an easy hill run with Kim this week - with no pain!  WINNING!

Still have a balky-but-I-can-run-with-it hammy (been well over 20 years, so I'm not figuring on fixing that in this lifetime).  The real bummer is my "swimmer's elbow" (medial epichondylitis), as I still can't swim despite months of rehab.  Turns out that when you train hard through minor injuries for 6 months, you get to live with them for a bit longer than normal. 

Yours in pod-i-ness,

Matt

I'm sorry about your mom, but I'm glad you get to give back to the cancer community. Hopefully you'll be able to heal your injuries soon, too, and get back into training.
2016-02-04 5:46 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hi all!!

Still have a balky-but-I-can-run-with-it hammy (been well over 20 years, so I'm not figuring on fixing that in this lifetime).  The real bummer is my "swimmer's elbow" (medial epichondylitis), as I still can't swim despite months of rehab.  Turns out that when you train hard through minor injuries for 6 months, you get to live with them for a bit longer than normal. 

Yours in pod-i-ness,

Matt

Good to have you drop in!  So sorry about you mother and, no, it's never enough,but I'm happy you had a wonderful last year with her.  Hope to see your achy Achilles, sore hamstring , texas loving self around here more!

2016-02-04 6:35 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by jmkizer

I saw that! Very dangerous. 2-hour free delivery. They have a surprising amount of stuff on there too. I could have new swim goggles by 9:30 tonight!

2016-02-04 7:07 PM

Master
Northern IL

Hi all!!

Yours in pod-i-ness,

Matt

McMatt!

2016-02-04 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Hi all!!

Yours in pod-i-ness,

Matt

So glad to see you Matt. Come and join the injury pond the water is warm, but its getting a little crowded.
2016-02-04 10:13 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Great to see you Matt!  Sorry to hear about your mom; glad you got to spend quality time with her.  I hope your injuries heal up!

2016-02-05 6:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Welcome back! Had wondered where you'd gone to on the forums in general. So sorry about your mom and all the injuries. The latter do seem to come in clusters in my experience. Hopefully now that you are taking care of them you will come back stronger. I know after my first HIM I had a solid six months when I was continually sick or injured with one thing or another. I think it was my body getting revenge for all that training during an extremely stressful time at work. I seem to have avoided that mess this last time around (knock on wood), except for getting the flu for one of the races.

Elbow injuries suck. Have you tried seeing if you can do strokes other than freestyle, or swim using pool toys like fins or a buoy? When I hurt my elbow a few years ago, after a few weeks I was able to do breaststroke for some reason, but not freestyle. As my PT pointed out, this probably means I'm not doing breaststroke right, as the pull "should" stress one's elbows. (I have always sucked at that stroke, but attributed it to my body build. It seems like the people who are good at it tend to be short and muscular, with "power thighs", the opposite of me, but maybe I just have crap technique.) So maybe you could figure out a way to do lousy breaststroke. Or the "underwater doggy fly" that I invented. (Dog paddle with both arms together and dolphin kick, with fins.) Or just dolphin kick with fins--if nothing else, it will work your lungs and core. Yanti is probably a great source of ideas for other wacko things to do in a pool.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-02-05 7:02 AM
2016-02-05 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hi all!!

Yours in pod-i-ness,

Matt

Thanks for stopping in! 

I'm sorry to hear about your mom.  Please accept my condolences.

2016-02-05 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hi all!!

Yours in pod-i-ness,

Matt

Good to hear from you, my condolences to you and your whole clan. It looks like you were able to get a bit of time in with mom, which I'm sure was appreciated. Keep on running my friend!

2016-02-05 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hey!  Thanks for the greets. 

Glad to be back - really missed the group.

Brief bio (rules of the road, and it's a new season with new pod-mates and all):

NAME: My name is Inego Montoya...  Wait, no.  Just, "Matt."
STORY: Did tri's back in the early 90's.  Went on to just running (family, job, etc. limited time and, although it's my worst of the three disciplines here, running is my fave - still).  Came back to tri in 2012, I think (maybe 2013? Need to check) and got the bug again.  Did a bunch of races - I love racing! - up through late last spring.  Then needed to take some time away from, for me, crazy amounts of structured training to spend time with family and work on a few injuries that speedwork oddly didn't seem to be curing...
FAMILY STATUS: Uber-happily married to The Better Half (Kim), and we still are running together now that I'm back on the road (and yoga-ing with her, too - I love yoga... who knew?!?).  Three great kids (11, 13, 15) and two labs.
CURRENT TRAINING: Just really started back from the "fat/dumb/happy" road to hopefully being only two of those.  Happy to have run FOUR times in the SAME week last week.  Ugh - baby steps...  But really psyched to be able to add at least some runs and spins in between yoga and such. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: We'll see.  Probably not going to go at it as competitively this season.  Might start with some chill road races.  Just don't know, but am going to approach it from an unstructured fun standpoint rather than a structured training block with target races standpoint this year.  Really don't know if I can race chill...
GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: To come back the year I age up and CRUSH SOULS!   Ahem... nope - just want to maximize endorphins and enjoy.  Never, ever, thought of myself as a masochist, but I miss "the good pain" of racing!
WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I love this pod of peeps.

Hope to be here with more frequency this year.  Looking forward to catching up!

Matt

2016-02-05 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hey!  Thanks for the greets. 

Glad to be back - really missed the group.

Brief bio (rules of the road, and it's a new season with new pod-mates and all):

NAME: My name is Inego Montoya...  Wait, no.  Just, "Matt."
STORY: Did tri's back in the early 90's.  Went on to just running (family, job, etc. limited time and, although it's my worst of the three disciplines here, running is my fave - still).  Came back to tri in 2012, I think (maybe 2013? Need to check) and got the bug again.  Did a bunch of races - I love racing! - up through late last spring.  Then needed to take some time away from, for me, crazy amounts of structured training to spend time with family and work on a few injuries that speedwork oddly didn't seem to be curing...
FAMILY STATUS: Uber-happily married to The Better Half (Kim), and we still are running together now that I'm back on the road (and yoga-ing with her, too - I love yoga... who knew?!?).  Three great kids (11, 13, 15) and two labs.
CURRENT TRAINING: Just really started back from the "fat/dumb/happy" road to hopefully being only two of those.  Happy to have run FOUR times in the SAME week last week.  Ugh - baby steps...  But really psyched to be able to add at least some runs and spins in between yoga and such. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: We'll see.  Probably not going to go at it as competitively this season.  Might start with some chill road races.  Just don't know, but am going to approach it from an unstructured fun standpoint rather than a structured training block with target races standpoint this year.  Really don't know if I can race chill...
GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: To come back the year I age up and CRUSH SOULS!   Ahem... nope - just want to maximize endorphins and enjoy.  Never, ever, thought of myself as a masochist, but I miss "the good pain" of racing!
WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I love this pod of peeps.

Hope to be here with more frequency this year.  Looking forward to catching up!

Matt

Welcome back! 

We are heavy on TX Manatees this year -- Connor, Markus, Sean, Monica, you.  I feel like I am missing someone else.  Justin? 

2016-02-05 9:39 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

McMatt, it is so good to see you back. I was so excited to see you pop up on Strava last week.  That said, I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your mom, but am glad you and your family were able to spend time with her over the past 6 months. That was surely good for her to have you near, and good for you and your family, too, overall.  Very cool you are giving back in an effort to help others fight the fight against such a horrible disease.  Big hugs for ya!!

2016-02-05 9:43 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sounds like the weather cooled off for Randee. DS2 says he has a snow day today. Of course, in the Navy that means coordinating who is shoveling what and when.

As for me, I'm seeing improvement. One non-running situation I've had pain in the knee is on stairs and coming in to work today was still a bit sore but not as bad. May try to run tomorrow, or wait till sunday.

2016-02-05 10:14 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by rrrunner

Sounds like the weather cooled off for Randee. DS2 says he has a snow day today. Of course, in the Navy that means coordinating who is shoveling what and when.

As for me, I'm seeing improvement. One non-running situation I've had pain in the knee is on stairs and coming in to work today was still a bit sore but not as bad. May try to run tomorrow, or wait till sunday.

That it did!!

The good news: HOORAY SNOW!
The bad news: there are so many tools and siding stacked in our garage, there is no way we're getting the snowblower out. EEK!

Take care of that knee!! Stairs are hard (I say that every day when I get to the top of my two flights at work). I can do an IM but stairs wipe me out
2016-02-05 10:36 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

February 6-7
Adrienne - Hill Climb Time Trial on Friday
Adrienne - New Balance Winter Grand Prix Track Race on Saturday
Markus - Katy HM on Saturday
Chris - Sarasota Music Half on Sunday
Kirsten - Aldergrove Ramble on Sunday

Disabled List
Mary S - post-concussion syndrome
Ben - clavical.  out of sling prison < update?
Steve - Surgery 1/20 followed by 8 weeks of recovery before SBR can restart.  Recover week 2 is done!
Tom - foot issues
Robin NC - under the weather
Connor - under the weather
TJ - knee
Yanti - under the weather

Thinking of Jim and his elder parent issues.

Welcome back McMatt!

2016-02-05 10:56 AM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!!!

February 6-7

Disabled List
Steve - Surgery 1/20 followed by 8 weeks of recovery before SBR can restart.  Recover week 2 is done!
Tom - foot issues
TJ - knee

Welcome back McMatt!

Yikes!  That DL is a bit ridiculous people.  Lets all get better quickly please!  

Gooooo racers!  Goooo me!  I'm trying to decide if I should race this one, or just run with my SIL.  It will likely be a morning-of decision.

2016-02-05 11:00 AM

User image

Chicago, Illinois

I thought that when Prime Now came to Chicago. I really have only used it once. Most of the time I am fine waiting the two days with free shipping.
2016-02-05 11:02 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

Racing Manatees!!!

February 6-7

Disabled List
Tom - foot issues
TJ - knee

Welcome back McMatt!

Yikes!  That DL is a bit ridiculous people.  Lets all get better quickly please!  

Gooooo racers!  Goooo me!  I'm trying to decide if I should race this one, or just run with my SIL.  It will likely be a morning-of decision.

Ramble to me sounds like run with SIL

Have fun racers!

Heal up DLers (I'm hoping to get off that list ASAP)

2016-02-05 11:13 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

February 6-7

Disabled List
Tom - foot issues
TJ - knee

Welcome back McMatt!

Have fun racers!

Hope you DLers heal up soon!

Go Racers!

I'm nervous about tomorrow. Weather forecast keeps changing, Keep going back and forth between tights/no tights, will be a close call. Will have to figure that out in the morning. Allergies have been bad all week, I hope they don't bug me too much tomorrow. First HM for me and longest race I've ever done so I will try to go nice and easy. I might push my luck depending how the first 5 miles go.
2016-02-05 11:52 AM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Went down hard on the bike today (full report over on the blog). Ugh.

Any ointment recommendations for road rash? I'm already way out in front on the Advil.
2016-02-05 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

February 6-7

Disabled List
Tom - foot issues
TJ - knee

Welcome back McMatt!

GO RACERS GO X2 TO SALTY!!

The DL is going in the wrong direction!! Heal up and feel better everyone!

2016-02-05 12:03 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by johnthecat

Racing Manatees!!!

February 6-7

Disabled List
Tom - foot issues
TJ - knee

Welcome back McMatt!

Have fun racers!

Hope you DLers heal up soon! Go Racers! I'm nervous about tomorrow. Weather forecast keeps changing, Keep going back and forth between tights/no tights, will be a close call. Will have to figure that out in the morning. Allergies have been bad all week, I hope they don't bug me too much tomorrow. First HM for me and longest race I've ever done so I will try to go nice and easy. I might push my luck depending how the first 5 miles go.

A first timer!  Go, go, go!  Try to keep things under control and don't go out too fast. THen relax and enjoy!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 883 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.