BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-02-05 12:10 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed

Originally posted by awm007 Went down hard on the bike today (full report over on the blog). Ugh. Any ointment recommendations for road rash? I'm already way out in front on the Advil.

Oh no! Feel better quickly!

2016-02-05 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by awm007

Went down hard on the bike today (full report over on the blog). Ugh.

Any ointment recommendations for road rash? I'm already way out in front on the Advil.

crap! wet wooden bridges are super sketchy, as you said though at least nothing was broken (bike or body) I cant recommend anything for road rash, most of my bike "incidents" involve trees. get better soon and watch those bridges.
2016-02-05 2:58 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hey!  Thanks for the greets. 

Glad to be back - really missed the group.

Brief bio (rules of the road, and it's a new season with new pod-mates and all):

NAME: My name is Inego Montoya...  Wait, no.  Just, "Matt."
STORY: Did tri's back in the early 90's.  Went on to just running (family, job, etc. limited time and, although it's my worst of the three disciplines here, running is my fave - still).  Came back to tri in 2012, I think (maybe 2013? Need to check) and got the bug again.  Did a bunch of races - I love racing! - up through late last spring.  Then needed to take some time away from, for me, crazy amounts of structured training to spend time with family and work on a few injuries that speedwork oddly didn't seem to be curing...
FAMILY STATUS: Uber-happily married to The Better Half (Kim), and we still are running together now that I'm back on the road (and yoga-ing with her, too - I love yoga... who knew?!?).  Three great kids (11, 13, 15) and two labs.
CURRENT TRAINING: Just really started back from the "fat/dumb/happy" road to hopefully being only two of those.  Happy to have run FOUR times in the SAME week last week.  Ugh - baby steps...  But really psyched to be able to add at least some runs and spins in between yoga and such. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: We'll see.  Probably not going to go at it as competitively this season.  Might start with some chill road races.  Just don't know, but am going to approach it from an unstructured fun standpoint rather than a structured training block with target races standpoint this year.  Really don't know if I can race chill...
GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: To come back the year I age up and CRUSH SOULS!   Ahem... nope - just want to maximize endorphins and enjoy.  Never, ever, thought of myself as a masochist, but I miss "the good pain" of racing!
WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I love this pod of peeps.

Hope to be here with more frequency this year.  Looking forward to catching up!

Matt

Welcome back! 

We are heavy on TX Manatees this year -- Connor, Markus, Sean, Monica, you.  I feel like I am missing someone else.  Justin? 

Thanks for remembering, yup, I (Justin) is also Texan. Although I've been quiet lately I've enjoyed reading all the comments. Good luck to everyone racing this weekend and for those of you in recovery, hope it's a speedy one!
2016-02-05 3:41 PM
in reply to: DaveL

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by DaveL
Originally posted by awm007 Went down hard on the bike today (full report over on the blog). Ugh. Any ointment recommendations for road rash? I'm already way out in front on the Advil.
crap! wet wooden bridges are super sketchy, as you said though at least nothing was broken (bike or body) I cant recommend anything for road rash, most of my bike "incidents" involve trees. get better soon and watch those bridges.

Yeah, I've tended to treat wet wood surfaces like ice as they're not too much different. Probably have some aches & bruising showing up over the next day or two as well, so take it easy. I'm not sure about any ointments either. Just keep it clean and cover the bad spots up. I did go down in wet terrain some time ago and picked up some road rash and it did get a little infection. My lower leg swelled up from that. I think the workplace nurse gave me some Silvadene to put on right away and to get into the doctor quick (it swelled overnight). Can't remember what he gave if anything, but it would have been prescription. This was all infection treatment though, not sure about healing faster. Neosporin is about all I've used on smaller things.

2016-02-05 3:57 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh, man, not good.  Hope you recovery quickly.  Road rash...shudder...

2016-02-05 4:16 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

February 6-7
Adrienne - Hill Climb Time Trial on Friday
Adrienne - New Balance Winter Grand Prix Track Race on Saturday
Markus - Katy HM on Saturday
Chris - Sarasota Music Half on Sunday
Kirsten - Aldergrove Ramble on Sunday

Disabled List
Mary S - post-concussion syndrome
Ben - clavical.  out of sling prison < update?
Steve - Surgery 1/20 followed by 8 weeks of recovery before SBR can restart.  Recover week 2 is done!
Tom - foot issues
Robin NC - under the weather
Connor - under the weather
TJ - knee
Yanti - under the weather

Thinking of Jim and his elder parent issues.

Welcome back McMatt!

Good luck to all the racers this weekend and good health to all on the DL. As for me, I'm almost back up and running. I'll be going for a short swim today to see how I feel, and hopefully that's a thumbs up for a ride tomorrow.

2016-02-05 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

February 6-7

Disabled List
Steve - Surgery 1/20 followed by 8 weeks of recovery before SBR can restart.  Recover week 2 is done!
Tom - foot issues
TJ - knee

Welcome back McMatt!

GO RACERS!

Get better those of you on the DL. I have finally made it off, yay

No can we start a LAZY list cause I can headline that!
2016-02-05 4:41 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by rrrunner

I would use some of this on the road rash, after making sure it was clean. I think you guys might call it papaya (but I might be wrong on that). You probably can't get this brand over there because it is Australian made. The label says the main ingredient is "Caricature Papaya 35mg/g Fresh Fermented Fruit".

This stuff is FANTASTIC! I use it on just about everything, bites open wounds, road rash and sunburn. It real great for stinger stings too.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (87KB - 3 downloads)
2016-02-05 6:20 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by johnthecat

Originally posted by IronOx

Racing Manatees!!!

February 6-7

Disabled List
Tom - foot issues
TJ - knee

Welcome back McMatt!

Yikes!  That DL is a bit ridiculous people.  Lets all get better quickly please!  

Gooooo racers!  Goooo me!  I'm trying to decide if I should race this one, or just run with my SIL.  It will likely be a morning-of decision.

Ramble to me sounds like run with SIL

Have fun racers!

Heal up DLers (I'm hoping to get off that list ASAP)

Hope you DLers heal up soon! Go Racers! I'm nervous about tomorrow. Weather forecast keeps changing, Keep going back and forth between tights/no tights, will be a close call. Will have to figure that out in the morning. Allergies have been bad all week, I hope they don't bug me too much tomorrow. First HM for me and longest race I've ever done so I will try to go nice and easy. I might push my luck depending how the first 5 miles go.

It'll be a PR!

2016-02-05 9:33 PM

Master
Northern IL

Lifting a little more weight in exercises? "Running: a little more regularly though still very easy and very much broken into small bits?

2016-02-06 5:18 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Munich, Bayern

Racing Manatees!!!

February 6-7

Disabled List
Ben - clavical. out of sling prison < update?
Steve - Surgery 1/20 followed by 8 weeks of recovery before SBR can restart. Recover week 2 is done!
Tom - foot issues
TJ - knee

Welcome back McMatt!

Good luck racers!
Heal up DL!

Originally posted by StaceyK
Get better those of you on the DL. I have finally made it off, yay

No can we start a LAZY list cause I can headline that!
If there is a LAZY Swimmer list I would definitely join that one. :-D

2016-02-06 5:54 AM
in reply to: Lighttower

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would make the just plain LAZY list. I love training and doing physical stuff outdoors, but otherwise can be incredibly lazy unless it's job-related or fun. On Tet break since Thursday and the most ambitious thing I've done in three days (aside from training--my coach is kicking my butt as she knows I'm having a "train-cation") has been to go to the grocery store and cook dinner. (Awesome this time of year as the stores are flooded with tons of interesting veggies and seafood and imported goods that aren't always available, due to Tet.) Hours a day of quality time with my cats and couch. I can happily sleep nine hours a night AND get in an afternoon nap. I would make a great pro if I was twenty years younger and had more talent--love to train and really good at recovery.
2016-02-06 8:53 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I would use some of this on the road rash, after making sure it was clean. I think you guys might call it papaya (but I might be wrong on that). You probably can't get this brand over there because it is Australian made. The label says the main ingredient is "Caricature Papaya 35mg/g Fresh Fermented Fruit".

This stuff is FANTASTIC! I use it on just about everything, bites open wounds, road rash and sunburn. It real great for stinger stings too.

and if it doesn't work on the road rash, you can eat it!

Good luck racers!
What is this DL list nonsense? It's rather big - and I don't like it >
2016-02-06 10:09 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by brigby1

Lifting a little more weight in exercises? "Running: a little more regularly though still very easy and very much broken into small bits?

Glad to hear it, Ben!
2016-02-06 10:10 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I would use some of this on the road rash, after making sure it was clean. I think you guys might call it papaya (but I might be wrong on that). You probably can't get this brand over there because it is Australian made. The label says the main ingredient is "Caricature Papaya 35mg/g Fresh Fermented Fruit".This stuff is FANTASTIC! I use it on just about everything, bites open wounds, road rash and sunburn. It real great for stinger stings too.
and if it doesn't work on the road rash, you can eat it! Good luck racers!What is this DL list nonsense? It's rather big - and I don't like it >
So sorry to hear you went down but Randee makes a great point
2016-02-06 10:14 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle
Ugh, that's a terribly long DL. Get well everyone! Go racers! Couple of halves in there, woo-hoo! My time trial was excellent yesterday. I tool a whole minute off my previous time. Now to see if I've got anything left for two miles on the track!

2016-02-06 6:57 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I would use some of this on the road rash, after making sure it was clean. I think you guys might call it papaya (but I might be wrong on that). You probably can't get this brand over there because it is Australian made. The label says the main ingredient is "Caricature Papaya 35mg/g Fresh Fermented Fruit".This stuff is FANTASTIC! I use it on just about everything, bites open wounds, road rash and sunburn. It real great for stinger stings too.
and if it doesn't work on the road rash, you can eat it! Good luck racers!What is this DL list nonsense? It's rather big - and I don't like it >

Thanks to TJ, Dave, Ben, Melanie, Stacey, Randee, and all who have expressed concern (and condolences to those that shared similar stories!). Oddly, despite the large and angry red skin, it pretty much only hurts when I lay on it or touch it. I'm thankful it wasn't a lot worse! I was even able to get a run in today.

Stacey - They sell that ointment on Amazon! I have some on the way. Thanks for the recommendation! In a weird language quirk, Papaw is a name for grandfather in the rural mountain US south where I grew up. Lucas' Papaw Ointment - now made with real grandfather! It looks like you all put that stuff on everything (based on the reviews).

Until it arrives, I'm going with Ben's recommendation on keeping it covered with Neosporin and a gauze.

Good luck to Chris and Kirsten in their races tomorrow!
2016-02-06 7:45 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

February 6-7

Disabled List
Tom - foot issues
TJ - knee

Welcome back McMatt!

Yikes!  That DL is a bit ridiculous people.  Lets all get better quickly please!  

Gooooo racers!  Goooo me!  I'm trying to decide if I should race this one, or just run with my SIL.  It will likely be a morning-of decision.

Have fun racers!

Hope you DLers heal up soon! Go Racers! I'm nervous about tomorrow. Weather forecast keeps changing, Keep going back and forth between tights/no tights, will be a close call. Will have to figure that out in the morning. Allergies have been bad all week, I hope they don't bug me too much tomorrow. First HM for me and longest race I've ever done so I will try to go nice and easy. I might push my luck depending how the first 5 miles go.

It'll be a PR!

You got that right.

2:27:59.90 final time. Beat my goal of 2:30.

Race report here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=280...

Got lucky with the weather. Major downpour with some hail started about 2 hours before the race, but had moved through by race start.
2016-02-06 8:29 PM

Master
Northern IL

Over visiting my parents as my brother was down with his kids. After dinner, Mom brings some ice cream up for us. I needed help scooping it out. 

2016-02-06 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Thanks to TJ, Dave, Ben, Melanie, Stacey, Randee, and all who have expressed concern (and condolences to those that shared similar stories!). Oddly, despite the large and angry red skin, it pretty much only hurts when I lay on it or touch it. I'm thankful it wasn't a lot worse! I was even able to get a run in today.

Stacey - They sell that ointment on Amazon! I have some on the way. Thanks for the recommendation! In a weird language quirk, Papaw is a name for grandfather in the rural mountain US south where I grew up. Lucas' Papaw Ointment - now made with real grandfather! It looks like you all put that stuff on everything (based on the reviews).

Until it arrives, I'm going with Ben's recommendation on keeping it covered with Neosporin and a gauze.

Good luck to Chris and Kirsten in their races tomorrow!

In my house we sure do use that for just about everything. It's great for cracked heels, nappy rash, shaving rash pretty much anything. On road rash creates a nice kind of water barrier over the scabs which means that you don't have to constantly cover the area so it can dry out and heal quicker.

The only time we use something different is if we are trying to treat/bring out bruising then we use arnica cream. But don't put arnica cream on open skin.
2016-02-06 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

February 6-7

Disabled List
Tom - foot issues
TJ - knee

Welcome back McMatt!

Have fun racers!

It'll be a PR!

You got that right.

2:27:59.90 final time. Beat my goal of 2:30.

Race report here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=280...

Got lucky with the weather. Major downpour with some hail started about 2 hours before the race, but had moved through by race start.
Well done Markus. Great job

2016-02-07 12:12 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Thanks to TJ, Dave, Ben, Melanie, Stacey, Randee, and all who have expressed concern (and condolences to those that shared similar stories!). Oddly, despite the large and angry red skin, it pretty much only hurts when I lay on it or touch it. I'm thankful it wasn't a lot worse! I was even able to get a run in today. Stacey - They sell that ointment on Amazon! I have some on the way. Thanks for the recommendation! In a weird language quirk, Papaw is a name for grandfather in the rural mountain US south where I grew up. Lucas' Papaw Ointment - now made with real grandfather! It looks like you all put that stuff on everything (based on the reviews). Until it arrives, I'm going with Ben's recommendation on keeping it covered with Neosporin and a gauze. Good luck to Chris and Kirsten in their races tomorrow!
In my house we sure do use that for just about everything. It's great for cracked heels, nappy rash, shaving rash pretty much anything. On road rash creates a nice kind of water barrier over the scabs which means that you don't have to constantly cover the area so it can dry out and heal quicker. The only time we use something different is if we are trying to treat/bring out bruising then we use arnica cream. But don't put arnica cream on open skin.

I keep learning the hard way -- Stace Face is always right.

But yeah, seriously, papaya cream is the bomb. I also use it on everything. My sister has pretty bad psoriasis (which is actually an autoimmune disorder that manifests in the skin, not really a skin disorder per se) and it works well for her.

And yep, know what it's like to be in your skin many a time (and Stace Face has seen and shepherded me whilst there too!)

Neosporin's good while you're waiting. I've also had really good results with better healing and super-minimal scarring with Vitamin E oil (you can get the oil or just open the capsules that you'd take orally and smear it on the skin).

And for the Manatee peanut galleree generally, I use a combo of papaya cream + tea tree cream as chamois cream aka nethers-lube for cycling. Sore saddle and saddle sores really aren't part of my life anymore!

2016-02-07 12:18 PM

User image

Melon Presser

DOUBLE CONGRATS SALTY!!!
HUGE CONGRATS MARKUS!!!
GO DUB6!!!
GO KIRSTIRON!!!

Disabled List
Tom - foot issues
TJ - knee
Welcome back McMatt!

Yep, keeping you all in my prayers/meditations/supervibes/heart, whichever suits you best. McMANATEE yes, and you and your family too.

I'm better. That is, I'm still only spewing out of one end and not so much anymore. I probably got back into training too soon but what else is new?

2016-02-07 4:32 PM

User image

Over visiting my parents as my brother was down with his kids. After dinner, Mom brings some ice cream up for us. I needed help scooping it out. 

I don't think I could even lift the scoop right now, let alone scoop ice cream. I hate 50s!
2016-02-07 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Any improvement is a good thing!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 876 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.