BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-04-09 4:00 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: 1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN
Originally posted by strykergt

IS it ok to join if im training for IM?

Just need guidance if im overdoing it.

Thanks

Of course, welcome!

Which IM are you training for? How's it coming along?

2016-04-09 11:49 PM
in reply to: tzcoaching

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by tzcoaching

Originally posted by strykergt

IS it ok to join if im training for IM?

Just need guidance if im overdoing it.

Thanks

Of course, welcome!

Which IM are you training for? How's it coming along?

Tony

Thanks I'm currently registered for IMVineman i just did IMTX last year. I am currently on month 2.5/6 months training plan of Fink's BIF intermediate plan. I have a tendency to over do it on my peak month. Therefore i just want to do according to the plan and not over do it.

ill discuss more in the next days

Thanks

Carlo

2016-11-15 11:17 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Hi Tony, another Tony here, I wonder if you still would be interested in coaching/advice in your off season?

I'm in Australia and have just finished an 8 week novice program with a local club, we did our first race Saturday just gone and I finished 28/108 and won my age group (M40-49).

I was 70th after the swim (300m, mostly breaststroke), second fastest overall on the bike (10km) passing quite a few folks and hung onto my overall position in the run (2.5km).

We have another race included as part of our program on 11 December. Only 200m swim and 2km run this time still a 10km bike.

I lost 15kg in 2013 down to 80.9kg walking a new dog every day, and have over time crept back up to 87kg currently with a few excess pounds to lose if I commit myself and stop eating rubbish.

I'm stoked to have finished a triathlon and figure that the best extra effort I can put in at the moment is on my swim.

I've signed up for 5 weekly adult small group lessons starting on Friday. I have been told during our novice program that my stroke is OK but I get out of breath/panicky after 30-40m and feel like I have to get my face out of the water. I've been told this coach of the small group (currently only one other student, half an hour lesson) can hopefully help me figure out what's wrong with my technique or if it's all in my head.

I figure even a slow freestyle will be faster and more efficient/requiring less exertion than my current breaststroke.

It's not a general fitness issue, I have run half marathons and have a 5k PB of 22:02 so I'm not unused to exertion or endurance.

Let me know if you have anything to offer or would be interested in hearing my story or offering ongoing tips. You gotta have something to do in your off season right?

Cheers,

Tony
2016-11-16 8:07 PM
in reply to: TonyMax

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Hi Tony, welcome and of course happy to help out!

Sounds like you are on the right track, and have a good foundation for triathlon. Your 5k time is great, and you have the endurance. Swimming is much more about form then fitness, so you are absolutely right that you will do better with a slow freestyle vs. the breaststroke. It sounds like you are doing the right thing already by taking the local classes.

I think so far you are doing well. Of course will be curious to hear how your sessions go, and how you do in your next event in December!

Any questions, let me know. And welcome to the wonderful world of Triathlon!

2016-11-18 4:29 AM
in reply to: #5171019

User image

So I had my first lesson tonight, we were a group of three, he watched me swim and then as a group we mostly did leg work kicking and working on body roll and breathing.

He said swimming is different to running and cycling and I have to get swim fit.

An added bonus of paying for lessons is that it also allows me unlimited pool access until a week after my next race, so should I go swim three mornings a week to reinforce my lessons and try to get "swim fit"?
2017-01-10 8:31 PM
in reply to: TonyMax

User image

Hi Tony,

I've been busy with life over the last four weeks and done hardly any training, but moving to 13 acres has kept me busy, so much so that I've lost 4.7kg (more than 10 pounds in your speak) over the last four weeks. I had the weight to lose and I'm sticking with that this will benefit me when I get back to training properly.

Couple the lack of running, swimming and cycling with it being stinking hot and the middle of summer here, and my lunch time runs today and yesterday have seen me struggle to get much better than just under 6 minutes/km. When I was running 5k under 24 minutes very comfortably late last year this is disappointing.

What would your recommendations be to ramp up my training again so that I'm performing at my best at a triathlon in March (we have another tri in less than two weeks so I'll just need to do my best there) and continuing to train towards a half iron man in November?

Cheers,

Tony

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17378 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.