BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2015-12-29 2:54 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome)
GROUP FOCUS: The focus of this group is new and experienced athletes who will be competing (or at least participating) in a sprint triathlon this coming season. Athletes doing additional/ longer distances are also welcome to join.

NAME: tedjohn/ Ted

STORY: When I was growing up, my parents got caught up in the jogging craze of the late 70's. I did my first 10k when I was about seven years old, and had been a runner ever since. In my late thirties I decided it would be fun to do a triathlon. With limited swimming and cycling experience, I trained like crazy and did my first sprint triathlon in 2010. Like most folks who get into this sport, I was hooked. Since then I've done a number of triathlons each year and completed my first Ironman (Boulder) in 2015. I've also done a few marathons, century rides, and one 50 mile ultra-marathon. I enjoy triathlons for a number of reasons:

1) The variety in the training keeps it interesting.
2) I'm in better shape in my 40's than I was in my 20's.
3) Racing is a blast. There are so many variables and strategies that can be applied.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married twenty years and have two daughters, aged 9 and 14. My family is very supportive of my "hobby" and my wife is a saint for putting up with my IM obsession last year!

CURRENT TRAINING: For the last five years, I've gone from sprint tris, to Olympic distance to Half, and Finally an Ironman. I've enjoyed each distance, but it's time to take a step back from the longer stuff. This year, my focus is on sprint distance races. I'm looking forward to shorter, more intense workouts.

2015 RACES: Bolder Boulder 10k (my twenty-seventh time), Ironman Boulder (my first IM), and a half marathon I decided to do at the last minute (ouch!).

2016 RACES: I'm registered for three races so far, and all of them are Sprint distance. I will probably add one or two more to the calendar.

WEIGHT LOSS: No specific goal but I'll probably try to lose about 10 lbs. prior to the first race. Like most folks, I tend to gain a bit after the holidays! I also love to cook (and eat)!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This is my seventh year of doing triathlons. While I'm not an expert in all aspects of the sport, I'm excited to be part of a group of people that can share ideas, ask questions, and benefit from our collective experience. I'm also committed to finishing the things I start. I've joined groups as a mentee in the past only to have them fade after a few weeks and I won't let that happen with this group. Hope you'll join me!

2015-12-31 2:55 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome)
I like the idea of this, sometimes I feel like sprint distance is looked down upon. I personally started out doing this coming off an extensive background of weight training and competitive bodybuilding. Going into triathlon work i had no intention of dropping too much of the muscle mass I have worked hard to earn over the years. I have had excellent success piecing together much of my program thus far. I realize I am trying to do something that few have done, in that I want to remain a muscular 192-5. I'm hell bent on it though

My yearly totals are so far below what others do (I still weight train hard obviously), but each session is geared towards something specific and I keep moving forward. I really have the goal of being a top 10 national level sprint triathlete while still looking as thick as I do. It has been hard. Like to join in on here to discuss with sprint oriented alike and discuss upcoming season.

**Swimming for improved speed proving my only frustration right now.
** Finally got a powerbeam pro and look forward to any advice regarding training to according to wattage.

Thanks for opening this up Ted
2016-01-01 12:31 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

I was wondering if I could join this group as well. I have done 3 sprint races so far with some success but with a bike crash in 2... I guess I could improve on bike handling skills as well and am a terrible natural runner. This year I plan on competing in some local sprints as it work well with both working raising out little family, I have a 5 year old daughter, and going to school (going to university part-time to upgrade). Maybe one day ill complete in longer distances as I live near the famous Muskoka race but for now sprints seems to fit with my life. looking forward to a great season.
2016-01-01 12:47 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
TJ,

Welcome to the group! It will be interesting to hear how you combine the weight training with typical triathlon training.

Ted
2016-01-01 12:50 PM
in reply to: nickih

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
nickih,

Welcome to the group. You are more than welcome to join! Sorry to hear about your bike crash. Had one of those during a HIM a couple of years back and it wasn't fun (the 14 hour drive from Texas back to Colorado was even worse!)
2016-01-02 11:20 AM

My crashes were not that bad I just have some trouble climbing hills and then get to a point where I'm almost get standing still. And then we all know what happens next you start rolling back wards and crash or you fall over side ways. A couple of scraped knees later and hurt ego but I climbed back on and finished.

2016-01-03 9:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Hi all,

January 1st is always the official start of my training season for the coming year (even though my first race won't be until the middle of May). While I'll get more specific in my training as it gets closer to race time, right now I'm planning to spend a little more time working on my "limiter": the Swim.

Coming from a running background, I've always felt pretty good about my running. Last year, I really focused on more bike time and became a much stronger (and more confident) rider. But the swim is where I've seen the least improvement during the last few years. Over the course of an Ironman, being a bit slower wasn't a big deal, but during a shorter race, it will make a big difference. A few things I'm going to do:

1) Participate in our Triathlon Club's swim workouts. These are focused on VO2 max workouts and it's great to work with other athletes who will push me further..
2) Work further on technique, particularly as it relates to moving more efficiently through the water.
3) Spend more time swimming "faster" as opposed to just churning out laps in the pool.

So, do you have any limiters that you plan to address at the start of the season?

Ted

Edited by tedjohn 2016-01-03 9:13 PM
2016-01-04 1:00 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hi Ted, I'd like to hook on, a sprint focus group sounds like fun!  I'm focusing on Sprints this year and have my A-race on June 5th.

NAME: Donto/Don

STORY: 51 years old and been doing Tris now since 2002.  Started out doing team events and went out in on my own in 2004. Longest I've gone is a HIM, that's enough for me as I work with a partner in a small business and time is something that I have to juggle. Over time I seem to enjoy the all out aspects of Sprint racing more than long events.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married twenty years this upcoming fall and we have two kids, our Son is 16 and our daughter 14.  Both are competitive swimmers and in the national comp track on the Y team.  My wife is a runner but doesn't like to run races that much, does it for the fun of it.  

CURRENT TRAINING: 2015 was the year of ups and downs, had the least amount of training since I took 2011 off.  I had to deal with Morton's Neuroma in my right foot since 2014 and finally decided to have it cut out in early Sept.  I restarted running then hurt my back in Nov.  

• Biking: I'm currently leading the BT Winter Cycling Program challenge group.  I figured doing a challenge was the best way from me to be accountable to myself and others. We're 4 weeks into it and just did the 2nd Critical Power tests and ready for phase two and the dreaded 6x4' workouts.  Feel free to come join use, doesn't matter when you start.
  • Running, nothing structured yet, 2-3 runs per week for 6-8 miles total. 
  • Swimming, what's that!  Seriously I will start swimming in Feb.

2015 RACES: Only did a the A-race sprint in June and a Turkey Trot 5k in Nov.

2016 RACES: I have 4 planned events lined up for now.  A Metric Century ride in March that is the for my current bike training. The A-race Sprint in June, a race I've been doing for 11 of the past 12 years and it brings out the best of the best athletes all around Central & East coast FL.  A Sprint or team Oly in July while on family vacation, and a fall Sprint.  Another Sprint or 2 may fall into place in April and June.

WEIGHT LOSS: I need to lose 15 lbs. prior to the A-race in June.  The older I get the harder it is to lose but easier to go on!

2016-01-04 7:11 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado

Don,

Welcome to the group and thanks for the invite to check out the challenge! Sound like you've done a number of Sprint races so your experience will be very helpful here!
2016-01-04 8:58 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by tedjohn Hi all, January 1st is always the official start of my training season for the coming year (even though my first race won't be until the middle of May). While I'll get more specific in my training as it gets closer to race time, right now I'm planning to spend a little more time working on my "limiter": the Swim. Coming from a running background, I've always felt pretty good about my running. Last year, I really focused on more bike time and became a much stronger (and more confident) rider. But the swim is where I've seen the least improvement during the last few years. Over the course of an Ironman, being a bit slower wasn't a big deal, but during a shorter race, it will make a big difference. A few things I'm going to do: 1) Participate in our Triathlon Club's swim workouts. These are focused on VO2 max workouts and it's great to work with other athletes who will push me further.. 2) Work further on technique, particularly as it relates to moving more efficiently through the water. 3) Spend more time swimming "faster" as opposed to just churning out laps in the pool. So, do you have any limiters that you plan to address at the start of the season? Ted

I lose all my time in the swim compared to the guys above me.  For the A-race, in AG I'm usually MOP or BMOP in the swim, FOP on the bike and MFOP on the run.  Since I had such low volume in 2015 I figured I'd focus on the bike first to get back into shape.  I find a solid bike fitness translates to running well for me.  The older I get the less run volume I can handle, but I can still hold my sprint race pace goals with a peak of 15-20 miles per week.  I switched over to maximum cushioning shoes in 2015 and that has helped a lot, I'm now in Altra Paradigm's and love them.

I should focus more time on the swim, maybe I can be convinced!  A friend is going to start training at lunch for an early Feb HIM than transition to swimming so I may join him for swimming.   What I should do find a coach to work out the kinks I have in my stroke before I get heavy into the training. 

2016-01-05 5:09 PM

User image

Curious to know if there's room for another participant?

Worked with Todd's Tri Turtles 4 last season; will dig out my bio from that group in last year's postings and update.

Managed 2 sprints last spring for the very first time.....64 year's old; must walk the 5K portions of the events due to having had both knees replaced in 2013.....thus my name...."2NewKnees".....

Slow start to the training due to the holidays; illness; family illnesses; etc. Hope to get back at it tomorrow with an easy swim.

Anyway....just let me know if a spot is available.....I'm pretty new to the Tri sport!

Bill

2016-01-05 5:39 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Swimming is the limiter to focus on that's for sure. My swim work is at my alma mater nearby and 99% of the time I am moving faster than everyone in the pool and haven't seen any one in similar shape. Yesterday, as I am doing 200yd intervals, I see a tall guy walking across the pool deck. Eventually as I am swimming , during my breathing side I see him swimming past me ( I was doing my 200's on about 1.36-1.40). After a 200 set, I decide to stop and watch him from above and below and look at the clock. He's moving at about a 1.20/100yd pace and WORKING LESS HARD THAN I AM. I waited for him to stop and picked his brain, he watched me a bit (he's been swimming 16 years and did triathlon as well) He noticed a few things and gave a few tips.

I'll try to apply it, but nonetheless, watching someone swim more efficiently is simultaneously motivating and infuriating! And he was a big guy at 6'1" 215.
I used to love swimming until I began swimming for time in triathlon

2016-01-05 6:51 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Bill,

You're in! Thanks for joining us and awesome that you're staying at it. Two knee replacements would probably scare many away!
2016-01-05 7:00 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
TJ,

". . .watching someone swim more efficiently is simultaneously motivating and infuriating! " -This is so true. It's awesome that he gave you some feedback though. I'm curious what he shared in terms of feedback?

If I put in my best effort and go all out, I might get to about 1:29 for a single 100 effort. Typical training puts me closer to 1:45/ 2:00 minutes. I've never followed much structure in my swim training and have not really seen any improvement during that time. I started reading the Total Immersion book over the holidays and I'm going to try a few of the things in there to improve my overall "presence" in the water.

Our local tri club has reserved the University Pool a couple of nights a month for some group practice. I'm headed that way in a bit and hoping that the chance to swim with others (especially those a bit faster) will be more inspiring!
2016-01-06 8:09 AM

User image

Hello Everyone,
I would love to join if there is still space. Hi Bill.
I also was on the Todd's Tri turtles last year.
I am 42 years old with 2 boys 11 1/2 and 9. My husband is a cyclist and my boys and I became triathletes last year. It was a very active year. I have done 1 sprint, then got more involved with the cycling( motivational support for my older son as he completed a 50 miler for Boy Scouts)
I did 2-15 miles (1 being the Gran Fondo Hincapie), 2 -20 miler rides, 1- 50 miles, sponsored rides plus 1 5k run.
I am ready to back on my training. It has fallen off considerably. I have 11 lbs I want to drop to be where I want but I am more interested in the inches. The holidays got me too.

Last year I became a cyclist, swimmer, and runner. I feel I cycle best out of all 3. I have been focusing on my cycling off and on over the fall.

April Anderson Sprint
May Bo Bikes Bama
July Swamp Rabbit Sprint?
Ocotober Gran Fondo Hincapie

I also want to complete a metric century this year. This is a very doable goal. I almost got it done last year but had to work out the logistics of my youngest son.

The whole family rides which is great. This is how we manage to each get in training. It is a bit hard because my youngest is not quite there yet. He has ridden a total of 26 miles. My husband is a great inspiration as far as cycling goes.

I enjoy the race. I enjoy when I train I am all in and I don't let myself use any excuses not to train. I am getting back on board and need to get my butt back into the pool.

I am excited and a bit hesitant on the pool. I was hitting a mental block after swimming straight 100 yds. I train in a 25 yd pool. I think keep swimming will help. I was working with a swim coach last year that took me from swimming holding my nose to swimming freestyle in a sprint.

I am excited at what this year holds and where I will be.

Nicole
42 yr old South Carolina
Sweat is the fat crying.

Edited by nekomidori 2016-01-06 8:09 AM
2016-01-06 11:30 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by tedjohn TJ, ". . .watching someone swim more efficiently is simultaneously motivating and infuriating! " -This is so true. It's awesome that he gave you some feedback though. I'm curious what he shared in terms of feedback? If I put in my best effort and go all out, I might get to about 1:29 for a single 100 effort. Typical training puts me closer to 1:45/ 2:00 minutes. I've never followed much structure in my swim training and have not really seen any improvement during that time. I started reading the Total Immersion book over the holidays and I'm going to try a few of the things in there to improve my overall "presence" in the water. Our local tri club has reserved the University Pool a couple of nights a month for some group practice. I'm headed that way in a bit and hoping that the chance to swim with others (especially those a bit faster) will be more inspiring!
Man I'm, seeing myself in the bolded above!  When I see my kids swim I always get jacked up wanting to hit the pool, but never happens! 

It always comes down for me to what can provide me the best gains. Last few years I've been at that point where it is now the swim, ~1.5-2.0' is what I should easily be able to gain in the big local sprint with a 600 yard swim.  Question is can this be done if I started now, basically 6 months until race day?  Probably, really starting to rethink about getting in the pool now!

Talking about TI, I haven't read the book, having a hard time with reading time these days.  However I have watched Terry's BT video several times, it has provided me with several moments of clarity starting with the Balance discussion (~31:40 mark). Then I was able to understand the other aspects Terry talks about.  Funny story, about 6-7 years ago the Y hired a new aquatics director for our area and she was based out of the Y where my kids swim (Olympic pool). D1 All-American, swam at Oly trials, and so forth.  She started up a Masters session and I happen to be there swimming one time when they came out.  I talked with her a bit and went off doing more of my own thing of turning laps.  She came over to me offering some feedback saying my hands were scooping up and that I needed to work on keeping them out in front of me. Also my rotation was incomplete and I need to work on that.  That's it, no here's how to fix them, nothing.  I remember thinking as I started swimming again "what the heck am I suppose to be doing?", I was confused to say the least.  When I saw the above video the first time and the balance segment came up, I immediately knew how I could fix what was happening with my hand.  Drop the hand in the water, head will stay down, legs will lift up, and I suddenly could work on/feel the pull and glide. It was a big 'ah ha' moment for me.  Now I need technical refinement and swimming fitness.  It blows my mind the yards some people swim (2015 totals thread).

2016-01-06 12:28 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Originally posted by nekomidori

Hello Everyone,
I would love to join if there is still space. Hi Bill.
I also was on the Todd's Tri turtles last year.
I am 42 years old with 2 boys 11 1/2 and 9. My husband is a cyclist and my boys and I became triathletes last year. It was a very active year. I have done 1 sprint, then got more involved with the cycling( motivational support for my older son as he completed a 50 miler for Boy Scouts)
I did 2-15 miles (1 being the Gran Fondo Hincapie), 2 -20 miler rides, 1- 50 miles, sponsored rides plus 1 5k run.
I am ready to back on my training. It has fallen off considerably. I have 11 lbs I want to drop to be where I want but I am more interested in the inches. The holidays got me too.

Last year I became a cyclist, swimmer, and runner. I feel I cycle best out of all 3. I have been focusing on my cycling off and on over the fall.

April Anderson Sprint
May Bo Bikes Bama
July Swamp Rabbit Sprint?
Ocotober Gran Fondo Hincapie

I also want to complete a metric century this year. This is a very doable goal. I almost got it done last year but had to work out the logistics of my youngest son.

The whole family rides which is great. This is how we manage to each get in training. It is a bit hard because my youngest is not quite there yet. He has ridden a total of 26 miles. My husband is a great inspiration as far as cycling goes.

I enjoy the race. I enjoy when I train I am all in and I don't let myself use any excuses not to train. I am getting back on board and need to get my butt back into the pool.

I am excited and a bit hesitant on the pool. I was hitting a mental block after swimming straight 100 yds. I train in a 25 yd pool. I think keep swimming will help. I was working with a swim coach last year that took me from swimming holding my nose to swimming freestyle in a sprint.

I am excited at what this year holds and where I will be.

Nicole
42 yr old South Carolina
Sweat is the fat crying.

Nicole....great to see you again!!!
2016-01-06 12:33 PM

User image

Originally posted by tedjohn

Bill,

You're in! Thanks for joining us and awesome that you're staying at it. Two knee replacements would probably scare many away!

Ted....super!!! Look forward to working with this group!!

I see Nicole from Todd's group has also looked into joining this group. She had a fantastic season last time around!

Got a short swim in this morning; could tell I'd missed the past 2 weeks and my darned head cold continues to linger. Hope to get the bike trainer set up tomorrow; new cassette is to be delivered by amazon today; that way I'll have that trainer tire equipped and not have to change it out. Will put my hybrid on the trainer just to get some bike time in.;

Oh yeah....I'll update my "bio" in another posting....

Later!!
2016-01-06 3:22 PM

User image

Name: Bill/2NewKnees

Story: Growing up I was involved with the typical activities like baseball, basketball, some football, and running track while in HS. In my adult life work schedules and family obligations limited my sporting activities other than playing softball. Supporting our kids sporting events (football, wrestling, swimming) was much more important for us to concentrate on. ....

During one of those softball games more than 15 years ago, I blew out my left knee; tore the ACL and cartilage and had surgery to repair/6 month rehab. I did recover to play one more season. As a part of my post ACL repair rehab, I did some light jogging. That eventually turned into more running on a regular basis.

My daughter swam while in college and she encouraged me to join her for a 4 mile race. Her swim coach required the team to run the local event. I held off doing that her Freshman year but decided to give it a shot in her Soph year. Since she was close by we were able to train together. I was very nervous the day of my first event but finished it; so I began to run in similar races.

My sons and I ran in several events over the years. My oldest son convinced me to try a 1/2 Marathon with him in 2011; we trained together and successfully completed the distance (I sure felt my age after that!!); I remember being as nervous about that event as I was that first race with my daughter. Both my sons and I registered for the same event in 2012; ironically they both ended up injured and were unable to do the race; leaving their "old man" to run it by himself!! That 1/2 was the last stretch event I was able to train for prior to my knees giving out .

My left knee had gotten so bad I had it replaced in Feb 2013; recovered from that, did a little bit of biking and walking but the right knee was also very damaged. I had my right one replaced in Sep 2013. Thus...my name...2NewKnees !! All of 2013 was a rehab year for me; in January 2014 I decided I needed to up my exercise schedule. We joined a local gym; I contacted a friend who is a Masters Swim Coach and he started me on my swimming activities. It's took me a year to improve my stamina in the pool. We continued to ride bikes when weather permitted and was pretty consistent on walking. Having done many road races I missed "competing". So I decided if I'm going to work that hard at something, I might as well try to train for an event of some sort. So, I completed 2 Sprint Triathlons last spring. But, I walked the 5K portion of the events. Even though some folks who have had total knee replacements continue to run; I've made a decision not to do that; having been through that recovery twice, I'm not interested in having to go through knee replacement revision if I can keep from it.

Family Status: Retired; Happily married for 45 years; 3 children, 2 sons and a daughter; 2 daughter in laws, 1 son in law; 4 grand kids; my wife and I exercise 5-6 days/week

Current Training: My goals are to Swim 3 times/week; Bike Trainer 3 times/week; Walking 3 times/week (Treadmill when weather doesn't cooperate) & Weight lifting 2 times/week

2014 Races: A local 5K fundraiser in May, 2014; I walked the event

2015 Races: Pioneer Sprint Triathlon 4/23/15; Miami of Ohio Sprint Triathlon 5/9/15; completed both in under 2 hours even walking the 5k portions

2016 Races: Since the Pioneer Sprint was my first event; I plan to do that one again to compare my results; the Miami of Ohio event is on the same weekend so I can't do that one this year. Hoping to do an open water event....still very tentative on that though....

Weight Loss: Since I was in rehab most of 2013 I gained some weight due to not being as active as I had been prior to my knee replacements. I've been able to keep my weight fairly stable with the swimming, biking, walking and yard work!

What Will Make Me a Good Mentee?: The fact that I want to complete additional events and need additional insight on what to continue to expect and manage that bit of nervousness that I experienced in those first races I mentioned in my story .

Well, that's about it.....I have the strange feeling I'm the "senior citizen" of this group......look forward to the support and learning this site has to provide.
2016-01-06 8:09 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Nicole,

Thanks for joining in! That's awesome that cycling is a "family" sport for all of you. For our family it's running (My girls,14 and 9 are about the same age as your boys!) that we often do together.

I've noticed a lot of us had indicated that swimming was our limiter. This will be a great forum to share what we learn this winter!

Ted
2016-01-06 8:36 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
All,

Last night our tri club had a swim practice (they rent out the College Pool for an hour). Instead of the usual VO2 workout with everyone splashing like crazy, we spent the evening concentrating on form. The group provided two coaches on deck to help us along. I had the added advantage of sharing the lane with two really excellent swimmers so there was a point of reference the whole time. A couple of takeaways:
1) We really worked on angles and keeping our hands below our elbows and our elbows close to our ears on the "kinematic" or out of water portion of the stroke. This helped us to relax on the recovery and elongated our stroke. Even after a few lengths, we were reducing our stroke count by 3 or 4 per length.
2) We also talked about the importance of daily arm stretching after warming up. The older we get, the more flexibility we lose. This makes those swim strokes and angles harder to accomplish.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to hit the pool and see how this new knowledge pays off. It will take a while to change some habits, but I'll keep you all posted about how it goes!

2016-01-06 9:48 PM

Well my first interval session of the year completed.... never again on the trainer after eating a large McDonald's meal... my daughter had swimming lessons so we grabbed something quick... It said to complete the intervals at 80% of your threshold.... how do I find my threshold? So I didn't know so I figured to a point where I'm going hard... may have gone a little too hard my meal wanted to visit the toilet after...

So yes question is how do I find my bike/run and swim threshold. Please no meal advice I already it was a bad choice

Oh and bio to follow as well
2016-01-07 12:10 AM

User image

Hi There!

I'm a complete Tri newbie. And I'm thrilled to find this Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program!

The deets?

Name: Giavanni!

STORY: I've been athletic since I was a kid, played on various sports teams growing up, and finally graduated to adult slow pitch softball in my late 20s. You see the decline in intensity, yes? I discovered cycling at 29 and rode strong for 5 years...then I became pregnant and it all kind of went to pot. HOWEVER, as of 2 weeks ago I'm back on my bike for the first time in 5 years! I turned 40 last year and decided middle age was a challenge to be conquered. I've suffered a couple of somewhat debilitating knee injuries (i was a catcher in high school and the chondromalacia does not like to be forgotten, plus a more recent subluxating patella in the other knee!) and have learned to live with pain until meeting a very talented physical therapist! He's got me contemplating Macchu Piccu AND a sprint tri! And though I've never enjoyed running, I love the dynamic challenge of training for 3 sports simultaneously! Now, just have to learn to swim in a straight line!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 6.5 years with a 5 year old son who surely was born to be some kind of 2-a-day athlete....so, I'm doing this in part to keep up with and set an example for him!

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm following an 11-week training schedule designed to get you across the finish line. Due to illness, school breaks, holidays etc etc, I've done the first week 4 times. I'm happy to report, I've successfully moved on to the second week this week. Its looking like I will make all 5 training days this week! WOO HOO! Then on to week 3!

2016 RACES: I've been talking about the November Catalina triathlon for 3 years now, so I finally stopped talking and have signed up for a reverse sprint tri (with a 100m pool swim!) on March 20 and I'm eyeing a traditional sprint tri (with a 1/2 mile ocean swim) in June.

WEIGHT LOSS: I won't complain if I lose anything.

MAJOR CONCERNS/QUERIES: Kit for full figured women, transitions, and how/when to integrate weight training into the workout regimen.

Thanks!

Edited by giavanni 2016-01-07 12:11 AM
2016-01-07 9:11 AM

User image

Amazing what good form in the pool can result in.....as my "coach" stressed....high elbows!! Just like in your remarks. Now, the challenge is actually doing it!
2016-01-07 12:50 PM
in reply to: #5158247

User image

Let me first start by saying how excited I am. I did think I would miss being part of a group but I really do. Today was my first day back into training. I have cycled twice and did a P90x cardio this week. Today I got into the pool, I got in 550 yards which is very little from where I was at. 1300 yards before. I am the overachiever type(I'm finding out) so I am trying to not tackle the world right out of the gate. I realized how long it has been. I was getting back into the flow of the swim. Remembering to bend my elbows, head down, kick hard, relax and breath. It went well. It was a good starting point for the season. Better than where I was last year.
Then I came home and got into the trainer. I got in a good 10.48 miles. I did some intervals and got a good heart rate going. I was feeling my quads for sure. Half way through I did some core exercises.
I have been working on my cadence and form on the bike. It is getting better. I managed to get in 10 miles before I hit 40 minutes. During my triathlon I did 12.5 miles in 1 hour.
I am working on getting my schedule all set up. My family was discussing goals??. My older one wants to get in a metric like me. Him and I have about the same level when we cycle. My younger want to complete a 50 miler this year.
Training schedule:
3 bike improve my climbs, descents and taking corners more confidently.
3 run/walk I'm still getting the hang of running. I completed my 5k in 32 minutes last year so I would like to improve that time.
3 swim I want to be more comfortable in the water and able to swim longer continuously.
2 weights mostly improve my core.
1 stretch/yoga better balance and not so tight.
Now who has the 12 day week for all of this? Oh wait I will need a day off too. Make that a 13 day week. Lol

Ted I think it is great that your family all runs. I find it helps when we all have similar goals plus then it creates a bond. My son and I will have doing 50 miles together for our first time always.

Bill you rock. I am so inspired by your dedication. I was looking at your numbers last year after your sprints and they beat mine out of the water. You may be older and have 2 new knees but you are still going strong!!

Everyone have a great day.
Nicole
Swim like the boat sank!
Bike like you stole it!
Run for your life!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome) Rss Feed  

of 14

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6326 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17381 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : Pnlop
comments : 0
First race went better than expected!

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : Trmlo
comments : 10
At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!
date : May 27, 2011
author : sdswriter
comments : 15
A Middle-Aged, First-Time Triathlete Overcomes the Elements and Takes Care of Some Unfinished Business

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 0
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.