BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-01-29 1:23 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
Trainer Road Carson last night. 6x5-7 minutes at 88-93% FTP with 2 minute recoveries. Trainer starting to feel much more manageable. It felt much more like a sweet spot ride. I was working hard but felt like I could hold that same power for longer. 6 mile run scheduled for tonight.

2016-01-29 1:55 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by GoFaster

New Canadian cyclist to cheer for this year.  This is a news article from last year, but he just finished 5th overall at the Tour Down Under and did really well on the climbs - and he's only been riding for 3 years.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-s-mike-woods-makes-waves-on-elite-cycling-circuit-1.3200402

Mike's from here in Ottawa, and up until last year was actually coaching a few local triathletes. It was pretty exciting watching the TDU and seeing him going with Porte and Henao. I imagine he'll be a mountain domestique for Uran and/or Rolland this year, and from the looks of it, a pretty good one.
2016-01-30 12:12 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Elite
Ontario

Any feedback from the group on my swim is appreciated.  Been a while since I posted any swim videos.

https://youtu.be/QpyACVr3X2o

2016-01-30 1:08 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I did a one mile race today....omg, that hurt so badly.  I can't even adequately describe how brutal it was, though I'm sure many of you already know!  I'm stronger at longer distances and have done zero speed work since long before my stress fracture, so I was just hoping to be under 7:30.  Very happy with my 7:06, but not satisfied....need seven more seconds to go sub-7 (and I'm sure I won't be satisfied when I get that, of course!  It never ends!).

2016-01-30 7:04 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
South Alabama

Beautiful day here.  Got out for an early ride then my local shop ride.  Hammered the last 30 minutes and I was able to hang on. By the end there were only four of us.  Happy to have gutted it out and actually felt pretty good toward the end.  I think I could get into road cycling when my legs get too cranky for running or I finally can't stand another minute in the pool.  Beautiful day, good ride and some coffee with a good group...hard to beat. 

Another pretty day predicted for tomorrow.

Neil-you do not want help from me with swimming.

Stu-UVA had a nice win today.  Louisville hosts UNC Monday and should be ready to rebound from the UVA loss.

Jason-how is the knee feeling a few days post op? 

2016-01-30 8:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
1:40 on the trainer. The knee feels great and the legs are charged up and ready to go. It is amazing how much easier training is when you are well rested..... something to think about.

I did 4 x 10 minutes at low cadence, all holding around 210 watts on 10 minutes easy and felt really good.

Monday I am hoping to get in a session on the Alter-G treadmill and maybe get the clearance to start some gentle running again. I haven't been this excited to run in a long time.

Randy,

That shop ride sounds like just the ticket to get you out on the roads and outside of your comfort zone. I know that there are a few groups around here that do rides like that and I may have to try to get hooked up with one of them. Today would have been a nice day for an outdoor ride. Upper 40s in January in Michigan is darn nice weather.

Edited by wannabefaster 2016-01-30 8:09 PM

2016-01-31 6:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stuart, glad to see running seems to be progressing

Scott, as Nicole described she would do that protocol and we would use something very close to Aerolab to do the analysis. I say very close because it has a few tools that make it easier, but everything could be done in Aerolab. If you guys want to get into it, I'm more than willing. But it gets pretty geeky and I think some people get turned off by it so I really don't want to ruin the mood of the group, so I'll let Randy and Jason and you guys guide it. If there is interest.

Neil, there is definitely work to be done on you catch. You seem to be over rotating and lifting your head way too much. But I don't think you should try to address this stuff in isolation. I think you need to find someone to go after things a little more systematically. But I think you have a lot of low hanging fruit.

Jason, 210 at low cadence sounds like it's just enough force to be testing things. It's good it's holding together.

Randy, it's snowing, it's freezing rain, I keep hurting myself on the ice, so I am not going go comment on outdoor group rides :-) But I envy you.

THis winter I completely stripped down my TT and rebuilt. I switched from 10 speed Di2 to 11 speed. I had never taken a chain off, run brake cable, completely rewired, installed internal batteries, installed derailleurs....last night for the first time I shifted all gears. It's a BMC TM01 with proprietary brakes etc. Once I turned a screw and the whole brake just kind of "exploded", ie the springs sent things in all directions. But now there isn't a piece I'm afraid to play with, which is great when travelling

Edited by marcag 2016-01-31 6:49 AM
2016-01-31 7:13 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
South Alabama

Marc-I think a discussion on aerodynamics and the process would be great.  Certainly the time of year to make those types of tweaks.  Nice job on the bike rebuild...that is way beyond my capability.  I assume you were running the 6770 Di2 10 speed?  Did you ever have issues with the RD? I am on my 3rd RD since building up my current bike about 18 months ago.  Each was bought used since Shimano is no longer producing the 6770 RD,  It is going to get harder to find them as time passes.  Been thinking about switching to 11 speed Di2 on my tri bike but my race wheel is a 10 speed Zipp disc with PT hub and I don't think I can modify that wheel to run with 11 speed.  

Going to be another pretty day here.  Wish I was headed out on the bike but I need to get a longish run in.  Like I said yesterday I could see someday becoming "just" a cyclist.  I know Jason N. has transitioned that way.  One of my team mates, a really strong racer-multi time qualifier for AG Worlds, retired from triathlon last Fall and now just bikes.  Don't know whether that will be permanent but he says he doesn't miss it......although it is the off season.  I know I would miss the camaraderie of hanging with team mates and others I have met over the years  doing races along the Gulf Coast.  I am certainly not there yet but as I get older it is nice to have that as an option down the road.  

2016-01-31 7:28 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by slornow

Marc-I think a discussion on aerodynamics and the process would be great.  Certainly the time of year to make those types of tweaks.  Nice job on the bike rebuild...that is way beyond my capability.  I assume you were running the 6770 Di2 10 speed?  Did you ever have issues with the RD? I am on my 3rd RD since building up my current bike about 18 months ago.  Each was bought used since Shimano is no longer producing the 6770 RD,  It is going to get harder to find them as time passes.  Been thinking about switching to 11 speed Di2 on my tri bike but my race wheel is a 10 speed Zipp disc with PT hub and I don't think I can modify that wheel to run with 11 speed.  

Going to be another pretty day here.  Wish I was headed out on the bike but I need to get a longish run in.  Like I said yesterday I could see someday becoming "just" a cyclist.  I know Jason N. has transitioned that way.  One of my team mates, a really strong racer-multi time qualifier for AG Worlds, retired from triathlon last Fall and now just bikes.  Don't know whether that will be permanent but he says he doesn't miss it......although it is the off season.  I know I would miss the camaraderie of hanging with team mates and others I have met over the years  doing races along the Gulf Coast.  I am certainly not there yet but as I get older it is nice to have that as an option down the road.  

I went into this not knowing how the brake cabling worked, how to install a chain or a derailleur. But there are TONS of great videos from places like Art's cyclery.

My 10speed was DA 7970. I had heard that several parts were no longer available and this made me nervous. I travel a lot with it and my worst nightmare is the day before a race not being able to find a part.

I never had trouble with the derailleurs. I did lose one bolt but the LBS was able to order a replacement. But for example the wiring harness is no longer made. I bought my bike in 2012 so kind of pissed Shimano has stopped making some parts. I will put the old 10speed DI2 on my spare tri bike or my road bike. Still debating which one.

Install of DI2 is actually really easy. The whole wheel compatibility thing is a PITA. I have a HED JET 9 and the LBS had to do a custom modification to the HUB which may not work. Worst case I will have to change the hub. But I was getting tired of investing in 10 speed parts when I knew I would have to upgrade sooner or later. The whole DI2 with chain and cassette, shifters, brake cables and all DI2 parts cost me $1200 cdn which is well sub $1000 US.

They do make cassettes that go on a 10speed hub and make it 11 speed.
2016-01-31 6:19 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
South Alabama

Marc-my prior tri bike had the original 7900 series Di2 and it was flawless.  Of course, it is not compatible with the current e-tube Di2 and so when it came time to build up a new frame I had initially planned on using those components but given the difficulty in finding replacement parts I decided to go with Ultegra 10 speed Di2.   Now with Shimano no longer making those parts I feel that moving to 11spd Di2 will be where I end up eventually on my tri bike.  My road bike has mechanical 11 speed.   I see moving to the PT pedal as being the best way to go to avoid the problem with 10 speed and 11 speed wheels and cassettes. Crank based could work as well but swapping pedals is just so easy.  I have several 7900 series Di2 parts if you are looking for anything. 

How many folks here are on Strava?  

2016-01-31 8:38 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have been thinking about a new bike but I have suddenly become more intrigued with the idea of upgrading my current, 2012, Specialized Shiv. This article from Tririg is kind of what I am considering:

http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2013_05_Specialized_Shiv_Buil...

Instead of DI2 I am considering SRAM E Tap with a crank based power meter. I'm not quite ready to start ordering parts but I'm getting close...... I think I would take this opportunity to upgrade to 11 speed as well.

Sand it down and paint it flat black. New, fun parts. Bike upgrades always make riding more fun.

2016-02-01 6:02 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I have been thinking about a new bike but I have suddenly become more intrigued with the idea of upgrading my current, 2012, Specialized Shiv. This article from Tririg is kind of what I am considering:

Instead of DI2 I am considering SRAM E Tap with a crank based power meter. I'm not quite ready to start ordering parts but I'm getting close...... I think I would take this opportunity to upgrade to 11 speed as well.

Sand it down and paint it flat black. New, fun parts. Bike upgrades always make riding more fun.

There is a place here in Montreal that does a lot of the painting for the pros since they are one of the few that void the Cervelo warranty. I am thinking of doing a paint on my road bike and P2. It's not 'that expensive'. $700cdn for both bikes.

For the eTap, I looked at them before I upgraded.

What I really liked was 0 cabling to the derailleurs. This wasn't a deal breaker for me since my bike was easy to route DI2 and it has all the smarts for internal battery etc. If your bike is not DI2 ready this is a GREAT feature. For example the old P2 would be much easier to connect with this.
The batteries are cool. While I think the whole "what if your battery dies" is silly, but at least with etap you can put your rear battery on the front or vice versa if one dies.
They are more expensive. DI2 can be found pretty discounted. I think eTap is probably $500 or $600 more. This was probably the biggest factor for me. With availability maybe discounting will occur.
I didn't like their shift "logic" ie the sequence of buttons to shift. Not that it's hard to learn a new sequence
Just FYI, they are not 100% wireless up front. You need to put a blip box, wire the shifters to the box and then it's wireless to the derailleurs. No big deal but the blip box does need to be concealed

So for me, I was spending more for the convenience of not running some easy to run cables and I wasn't sure I'd like the shifting patterns.
2016-02-01 9:29 AM

User image

Rode 135 miles yesterday around the perimeter of Oahu, which included 5 miles of off reading through dirt, sand, and rocks.  We had a really solid group of 9 that was able to share the work.  Randy, for me the reason I wouldn't go back to triathlon full time is I would miss the camaraderie of cycling.

2016-02-01 9:56 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I'm such a huge SRAM fan - I want to see E Tap blow the market up!

Have fun with the project - I'm jealous!

2016-02-01 10:48 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster I have been thinking about a new bike but I have suddenly become more intrigued with the idea of upgrading my current, 2012, Specialized Shiv. This article from Tririg is kind of what I am considering: http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2013_05_Specialized_Shiv_Buil... Instead of DI2 I am considering SRAM E Tap with a crank based power meter. I'm not quite ready to start ordering parts but I'm getting close...... I think I would take this opportunity to upgrade to 11 speed as well. Sand it down and paint it flat black. New, fun parts. Bike upgrades always make riding more fun.

Jason-I based the build of my current tri bike, 2013 Felt B2, on a build that was done by Tri Rig.  I did not use the aerobar/base bar set up they produce as it was just too expensive.  I did however go with the front and rear brakes as well as the Tri Rig Sigma stem.

Would love to see the new SRAM in person.  I have been riding Di2 in some version on my tri bikes for the last 4-5 years and love it.  Being able to shift from the basebar is a big plus. However, when I ride my road bike I don't miss it and the mechanical is fine.  If you do go with electronic shifting on your tri bike you will not likely go back to mechanical.

2016-02-01 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Product heads-up for the group with disclaimer. I have not tried the product but passing it along only because I had never heard of it.

There is a local doctor who has developed a product to instantly get rid of cramps. He was featured in a local paper and is working with a pro triathlete. Apparently some big universities (Stanford & Tennessee) are using the product with success.

The product is called CrampsAWAY. http://www.crampsaway.com/

I have only had an issue with cramping when I did a reverse tri and hitting the water after the run and ride played havoc with my feet and calves. I would certainly give it a try if I was doing a reverse again.

If anybody does give it a try, report back and let us know what you think.

I ran again today for the fourth time in five days. I think that's a record for me. The running is going better than I expected but the fatiguing is there. I will keep it up for a while and see how things work out.

Enjoy the week.

2016-02-01 11:40 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire

I am. Got the Garmin 520 for Xmas with a year of Strava premium. Unfortunately, it is still going to be a couple of months before I can ride outside.
2016-02-01 11:50 AM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenSprocket

I am. Got the Garmin 520 for Xmas with a year of Strava premium. Unfortunately, it is still going to be a couple of months before I can ride outside.

I have an account, but I don't use it.
I know the professional version has training metrics, but between WKO4, TP and Golden Cheetah I have data overload.

I do sometimes upload a workout, make it private and I do have a few of my own segments that I track. But very few.

I am not into the whole KOM thing. People's power numbers mean little to me given the variations in types, calibrations....
I rarely share workouts. I think this is the only place I've shared workouts in a while.
I did do 6x4@105%/50s rest this AM :-) It hurt

2016-02-01 12:27 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Stuartap

Product heads-up for the group with disclaimer. I have not tried the product but passing it along only because I had never heard of it.

There is a local doctor who has developed a product to instantly get rid of cramps. He was featured in a local paper and is working with a pro triathlete. Apparently some big universities (Stanford & Tennessee) are using the product with success.

The product is called CrampsAWAY. http://www.crampsaway.com/

I have only had an issue with cramping when I did a reverse tri and hitting the water after the run and ride played havoc with my feet and calves. I would certainly give it a try if I was doing a reverse again.

If anybody does give it a try, report back and let us know what you think.

I ran again today for the fourth time in five days. I think that's a record for me. The running is going better than I expected but the fatiguing is there. I will keep it up for a while and see how things work out.

Enjoy the week.

They don't tell you what's in it (not that I could find). So I'm out. If you have a problem with cramping try saltstick or BASE Salt.

Randy - I'm on Strava.
2016-02-01 12:44 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Went for my last bike ride outside before I head home for good.

wasn't too long 40km's my feet started to become numb, it was raining and only about 2 degrees out. Even with the overshoes the bottom vents let too much water in. There was a decent hill (about 70m climb, 4-6% grade) that I ended up doing 4 times. that took a lot out of me, right now being 220lbs and then having tones of gear on me and about 8-10lbs extra stuff on the bike, I was not going up that hill fast at all.

But was nice to get outside one last time on two wheels, now its back to the trainer full time.

Oh also I have strava.
2016-02-01 4:26 PM
in reply to: Murph333

User image

Expert
So I have great news! I proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes! We are planning a June Wedding. This will certainly impact my training and I need to be sensitive to issues of wedding planning when I plan my workouts. I know bringing the bike with me on a Honeymoon is a bad idea. But don't know if training is a bad idea. As I've been single for years, it's going to be an adjustment. She is very supportive of me. Guess I'll just ask her. She has supported me on my last ironman and stayed out all day with me. She is going to be my Sherpa at Kona this year. I'm so excited but am wondering if anyone else has trained for an IM while plannng a wedding. In all seriousness, I expect to do zero training on the honeymoon. Has anyone else in this group been planning for upcoming IM and a wedding? Fortunatley Kona is in October, so any missed time training should be no big deal. Jim

2016-02-01 4:50 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Oakville

Jim - fantastic news!  Congratulations!

My wife and I celebrated our 11 year anniversary on the weekend.  We did a destination wedding in the Caribbean and if you can make it work, I would highly recommend it.

We basically invited everyone but didn't take any offense if anyone couldn't make it. 

Once we chose the resort and settled on the week that worked best for us and immediate family, it was completely stress free.  The meeting with the wedding planner at the resort literally took about 30 minutes and then we were back on the beach. 

2016-02-01 4:52 PM

User image

Originally posted by jimmyb

So I have great news! I proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes! We are planning a June Wedding. This will certainly impact my training and I need to be sensitive to issues of wedding planning when I plan my workouts. I know bringing the bike with me on a Honeymoon is a bad idea. But don't know if training is a bad idea. As I've been single for years, it's going to be an adjustment. She is very supportive of me. Guess I'll just ask her. She has supported me on my last ironman and stayed out all day with me. She is going to be my Sherpa at Kona this year. I'm so excited but am wondering if anyone else has trained for an IM while plannng a wedding. In all seriousness, I expect to do zero training on the honeymoon. Has anyone else in this group been planning for upcoming IM and a wedding? Fortunatley Kona is in October, so any missed time training should be no big deal. Jim

***** EDIT: Holy crap how did i miss saying this but congrats !!!!! ******
I am working through that right now,

Proposed Oct, left the city for 3-4 months for work (that didn't help planning being >1200kms away)

IMMT is Aug 21

Wedding is Sept 4

I will let you know how it all goes... so far its been good, thankfully me and the future wife want to get a lot of it done ASAP, so we have been able to organize some of it already... but its going to be interesting hahaha.

Edited by Murph333 2016-02-01 9:09 PM
2016-02-01 5:01 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Oakville

We had a bit of heat wave here in southern Ontario this past weekend - it was showing 10 degrees (Celsius) when I got back from my long run yesterday.

I did 16 kms and will try to get at least two 18 kms runs before the HM in early March.

As I hit the longer distances, my right hip starts to give me problems.  Yesterday it was at around the 13 or 14 km mark

My physio diagnosed it as tendinopathy and that I just had to build mileage, but for now it really is a limiter for me on the longer distances.

2016-02-01 5:10 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jimmyb

So I have great news! I proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes! We are planning a June Wedding.

Congratulations !! Great news
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 55340 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.