BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-04-10 6:44 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by bcagle25

Originally posted by Jason N

Not sure which races you target, but just wanted to make sure you are aware that WTC races started to allow athletes to wear a short sleeved Tri suit during non wetsuit swims.  I think USAT races still won't allow short sleeves during non wetsuit swims though. I could be wrong. 

So the question is...

Will you save more time with your sleeves on the bike versus losing time with sleeves on the swim?

I vote for an overwhelming majority to be no.

How much time do you believe you would save with sleeves on the bike and how much do you think you would lose on the swim ?

Well what we know is that those sleeves are designed for the bike leg not the swim leg.

We also know that the sleeves to be of benefit is very individual per person to help them on the bike, usually some testing needs to be done (velodrome, wind tunnel, field test, etc). But we also know that they do not aid you on the swim and most likely harm you by adding drag in the water.

2016-04-10 7:49 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang.  Sorry to be MIA over the last week.

First race of the season in the books yesterday. Chilly morning with temps in the mid 40s while waiting for the swim to start.  Warmed up quickly and made for a cool but tolerable bike and comfortable run.  I had a decent race winning grand masters (over 50). and finishing 16th overall.  Time was about 2 minutes slower than last year but consensus was that the swim was a little longer.  

My swim time reflected my lack  of interest in spending much time at the pool over the last couple of months.  Bike was about where I was last year and run was about a minute slower....still dealing with some issues that have kept me from running much over the last month.   I will put together a race report in the next few days.

One of my team mates had a new bike....a Ventum.  I am sure many of you have seen articles on the bike or discussions on ST.  He really likes  it.  We rode together again today and I got to look it over.  Very unique setup for sure but certainly not a light bike.  http://ventumracing.com/

Hope everyone has a good week.

2016-04-10 10:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Ontario

Anyone else's Spring train't being short circuited by winter weather?  Spent the weekend indoors again, and am missing opportunities for the longer outdoor rides I need at this point.  Just needed a place whine...??

Edited by GoFaster 2016-04-10 10:36 PM
2016-04-11 8:54 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy, A rock-star as usual.

Neil, I feel your pain. Although I have long believed that the "mental calluses" that you develop from training in horrible weather come back to you when things get tough on race day. Cycling in cold, wet, icy conditions is not fun and I would be in my basement.

Like Randy, I have been missing. I spent a week in Iceland and had a lot of fun. We want to go back and spend more time there in the future, likely in the summer so we could see more of the country. Hiked on glaciers. Snowmobiled on glaciers. Soaked in geothermal hot springs. Saw multiple waterfalls, including one that we walked behind. Drove by countless "active" volcanos. Ran every day and got in a lot of miles in and around Rejkyavik. Overall a great trip and a good consolation prize for not getting to run the Paris marathon.

Yesterday I had my last hard workout before Boston next Monday. Two miles warm up, 10 K hard (in 40:25, which is only a little bit off of my fastest ever) and then a cool down. It was a real confidence builder to run that fast. Conditions were windy, sleeting/rainy and pretty hilly so it was a good test of fitness and mental fortitude. Cautiously optimistic about next week. No matter what, I know it will hurt.....
2016-04-11 9:53 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by GoFaster

Anyone else's Spring train't being short circuited by winter weather?  Spent the weekend indoors again, and am missing opportunities for the longer outdoor rides I need at this point.  Just needed a place whine...??

Indeed!  It was -5 Celsius for my outdoor 10 mile run yesterday and I was in full winter gear.  It then proceeded to snow last night.  This is not spring weather!

The forecast for next weekend is looking better and I may actually get the bike on the road for the first time in 2016.

2016-04-11 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by slornow

First race of the season in the books yesterday. Chilly morning with temps in the mid 40s while waiting for the swim to start.  Warmed up quickly and made for a cool but tolerable bike and comfortable run.  I had a decent race winning grand masters (over 50). and finishing 16th overall.  Time was about 2 minutes slower than last year but consensus was that the swim was a little longer.  

Was this race in Alabama?  Or where did you find mid-40's in the south?  Jeez, Galveston 70.3 was yesterday and it was humid, windy, and warm (I did not race, but was out there cheering on friends....definitely needed sunscreen and hydration just to spectate!).

Congrats on a great race!

2016-04-11 1:30 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Was this race in Alabama?  Or where did you find mid-40's in the south?  Jeez, Galveston 70.3 was yesterday and it was humid, windy, and warm (I did not race, but was out there cheering on friends....definitely needed sunscreen and hydration just to spectate!).

Congrats on a great race!

Thanks.  It was just north of Biloxi, MS.  We usually get Texas' weather a day or two later.  Likely won't see lows like that again until October or November. Temps are definitely on the rise here in Alabama.

2016-04-12 8:45 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Scott71

Indeed!  It was -5 Celsius for my outdoor 10 mile run yesterday and I was in full winter gear.  It then proceeded to snow last night.  This is not spring weather!

The forecast for next weekend is looking better and I may actually get the bike on the road for the first time in 2016.

Weather doesn't bother me. I aquajog so who cares. I'm not bitter, I'm not upset. :-)
2016-04-13 8:24 AM

User image

Oakville

The new cranks should arrive in the next few days.  I'm not that much of a wrench but am trying to learn and do more maintenance work on my own.  From what I've read it doesn't seem too complicated to remove and install a crankset. 

I have a torque wrench and all the torque specs, and so it appears to be as simple as removing the existing cranks, removing and swapping the PM and chainrings and then grease and install the new cranks.

Are there any mechanics in the group?  Is it as simple as that or are there some technical steps that are better left to my LBS?

Edited by Scott71 2016-04-13 8:25 AM
2016-04-13 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The new cranks should arrive in the next few days.  I'm not that much of a wrench but am trying to learn and do more maintenance work on my own.  From what I've read it doesn't seem too complicated to remove and install a crankset. 

I have a torque wrench and all the torque specs, and so it appears to be as simple as removing the existing cranks, removing and swapping the PM and chainrings and then grease and install the new cranks.

Are there any mechanics in the group?  Is it as simple as that or are there some technical steps that are better left to my LBS?

I am not sure what crank you have so it may not be 100% the same, but this is how it worked for my Quarq

there are 3 parts.

The first is the crank arm mine look like this

Attached to the right side/drive side is the spider which is in fact the PM
Attached to the spider are the chainrings

So I simply removed a few small bolts that hold the PM to the crank arms. and swapped the crank arms.
But I don't know if all cranks/spiders attach/detach this way.
2016-04-14 10:37 AM

User image

Oakville

Thanks Marc - my crank is a little different but I took the left crank arm off the other night and the drive side will slide right out of the BB.

I was mainly concerned that there is some critical step that is not obvious that could either damage the bike or cause a catastrophic failure during a ride/race (Symonds at Kona comes to mind).

I'm going to give it a go and can always take it to the LBS if there are any problems.

2016-04-14 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Marc - my crank is a little different but I took the left crank arm off the other night and the drive side will slide right out of the BB.

I was mainly concerned that there is some critical step that is not obvious that could either damage the bike or cause a catastrophic failure during a ride/race (Symonds at Kona comes to mind).

I'm going to give it a go and can always take it to the LBS if there are any problems.

I would ask Power2max if there are any special steps.

For example, Quarq does suggest a special glue be put on the screws that attach the spider to the crank.

2016-04-14 11:14 AM

User image

Oakville

I would ask Power2max if there are any special steps. For example, Quarq does suggest a special glue be put on the screws that attach the spider to the crank.

Yeah, a "retaining compound" is required for installation on Rotor 3D cranks but it looks to be specific to that crankset.  It doesn't appear to be required for FSA cranks but I'm waiting to hear back from Power2Max. 

2016-04-15 1:32 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Sorry I've been MIA for a bit, I've been following along. Scott, I installed a Power2max typeS with FSA cranks this past fall/early winter. I also changed out the bottom bracket at the same time. Not that I needed to but I figured for the extra 36 bucks I might as well make everything new. I just followed the instructions that came with it and it really was quite simple. No special retaining compound, just some grease for the spindle. I think the whole project took about 20 minutes total.

Jason- Good luck on Monday! I was hoping to make it down but it doesn't look like I can get the day off. Looks like you will have beautiful weather, maybe just a bit too warm. Not sure if you've run Boston before but it's an unbelievable experience. The crowds are amazing.
2016-04-15 2:12 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-good luck on Monday.  Have a good time.

Nothing too exciting planned here this weekend. 70 miles biking with group tomorrow and probably a med/long run Sunday.  I have another tri next Saturday...a super sprint which should be fun.

Really losing some of my enthusiasm for doing triathlons. Had a decent race last Saturday but really been having so much fun doing cycling events and group rides...also getting the itch for a mountain bike.  I will have 4 triathlons in by the early part of June and then will reevaluate.  Likely will do another team race or two toward the later part of the season in October.  Tough getting old but nice to have cycling as a relatively low impact option.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

2016-04-15 6:10 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Weather doesn't bother me. I aquajog so who cares. I'm not bitter, I'm not upset. :-)

Marc-what issues have sent you to the pool for the dreaded aqua jog?

2016-04-15 7:23 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Feeling good. I have had a few really good runs that have me excited for Monday. It may be great or it may be a sufferfest (or it may be both....)

No matter what I will enjoy the experience.

I am actually starting to itch to get back to triathlon training. All of this running has me missing the swim and bike volume and looking forward to ramping those two disciplines up in the next few weeks.

As far as the Marathon goes, I am 5301, wave 1, corral 6. I hope to beat my qualifying time and if everything goes well....... I'm not saying it.

I'll post back here on Monday afternoon and let you know how it went.
2016-04-15 8:10 PM

User image

Jason-good luck on Monday.  Have a good time.

Nothing too exciting planned here this weekend. 70 miles biking with group tomorrow and probably a med/long run Sunday.  I have another tri next Saturday...a super sprint which should be fun.

Really losing some of my enthusiasm for doing triathlons. Had a decent race last Saturday but really been having so much fun doing cycling events and group rides...also getting the itch for a mountain bike.  I will have 4 triathlons in by the early part of June and then will reevaluate.  Likely will do another team race or two toward the later part of the season in October.  Tough getting old but nice to have cycling as a relatively low impact option.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

You sound just like me.  I'm buying a mountain bike second hand from a buddy, but probably won't get too involved in it till summer after my main road cycling races are done.  Plan is to ride that for a year or so just to make sure I'm into it before making an investment into a mountain bike I really want.

This is my third year of strictly road riding...and while I love it...it was wearing on me a little since I pretty much do it everyday.  But mountain biking seems to give me just enough variety, and separation from all the data (power) to keep me sane.  Also introduces a ton of new skills that I need to learn that also translates to the road.  Even with my very little experience with mountain biking, I've picked up the slightest skills in shifting weight through corners that has me a lot more confident descending  through switchbacks on the road.

2016-04-16 6:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marc-what issues have sent you to the pool for the dreaded aqua jog?

I have had achilles issues for years but this year it got really bad. All winter I had a bad hip flexor and groin problem. It finally seemed to be under control, the achilles got bad. I kept running on it and at one point I was limping and had to walk home.I am doing ART and other stuff and it is improving but it was pretty bad. My right achilles is very swollen (permanently) because it's like a piece of hard leather, whereas it should be soft. I limp all the time when walking, can't go down stairs normally and cry during ART sessions.

I have been aquajogging 5x per week and started the plan Nicole had posted earlier. If I am not on some type of real running plan by early May I will pull the plug on Tremblant

I did win a free entry to Timberman so that is cool. If I have to bail on Tremblant that will become my A race.

I also picked up my road bike frame (R3) where I had it repainted. Very classic, no fancy stuff, I just couldn't stand the colors. It was white and blue and is now charcoal and black. I may video the rebuilding of it.

I stripped down 4 of my bikes this winter. I moved my tri bike (BMC) 10speed DI2 to my old tri bike (P2), and put new 11speed DI2 on the BMCTM01 tri bike. I moved my 10speed ultegra on my R3 road bike to my old 9 speed Giant. I am also putting 11speed DI2 on the newly painted R3.

I also got a new tri bike but that was a bit of a surprise related to some work i am doing. I may have to sell a bike :-)
That work I did with Lionel kind of morphed into some pretty cool things.

Edited by marcag 2016-04-16 6:56 AM

(2015-11-13 09.46.30.jpg)

(IMG_1427.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
2015-11-13 09.46.30.jpg (1544KB - 2 downloads)
IMG_1427.JPG (3698KB - 5 downloads)
2016-04-17 7:02 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Elite
Ontario

Jason - best of luck tomorrow.  I have the race setup to record on the PVR, I always thought it would be boring to watch a marathon on TV till I caught it live one year and was hooked for pretty much the whole race.

2016-04-17 7:10 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jason - best of luck tomorrow.  I have the race setup to record on the PVR, I always thought it would be boring to watch a marathon on TV till I caught it live one year and was hooked for pretty much the whole race.

it just clicked that Boston is tomorrow. Good luck Jason!

2016-04-18 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

it just clicked that Boston is tomorrow. Good luck Jason!

Looks like he's done in 3:03:56 -- nice race!

2016-04-18 2:48 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Oakville

I also forgot that it was today until I logged into BT and there were a few Boston threads in TT.  

Fantastic time!  Congratulations Jason! 

2016-04-18 6:37 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

I also forgot that it was today until I logged into BT and there were a few Boston threads in TT.  

Fantastic time!  Congratulations Jason! 

Very happy with my race. I raced boston in 2012 and the course bested me so I had some unfinished business here and feel like today got it done.

Of course, I always wish I were a little bit faster but this was a very honest effort and true representation of my current fitness. It also qualifies me to come back next year and get that one last marathon goal out of the way.....
2016-04-18 7:24 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-I checked in on you and a team mate throughout the morning.  Awesome result.   Looks like you ran a smart race.  Well done.....if you got some quality coaching I suspect sub 3 would be a breeze!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 55504 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.