BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-05-09 11:22 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed

Originally posted by ligersandtions

We've been enjoying some cooler, less humid weather as well.  It looks like it should be back to normal on Monday, so I'm enjoying it while I can!  Probably should have run today since tomorrow's going to be a little warmer, but my work week was a bit crazy, forcing me to push my track run to yesterday, so figured a long run the day after a track run would be a bad idea

I did ride this morning....did some aero testing with some HIM efforts and some threshold (40k TT) efforts in there.  RPE was completely out of sync with HR and power.  Everything felt harder than it should have, but since power and HR were in line, I told my brain to ignore my legs and hold my power targets.  May be due to the track run last night or may have just been a weird day.  But I'm happy to report that my legs obeyed!

Anyone racing this weekend?  Or have good training on tap?

We also had cooler and less humid weather this past weekend.  Was able top put in a 68 mile and 10k foot climbing day on Saturday with really good power throughout.  Yesterday did more of a rolling route to shake the legs out a bit and still felt decent considering. 

2016-05-10 6:29 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
We have been having nice weather here in MI as well. Unfortunately I spent 48 of the 72 hours between Friday morning and Monday morning in the hospital. I made a lot of women happy...... but it wore me out. Managed to get in some training too but I totally agree with whoever said that sleep is a legal performance enhancer. When I get a lot of it I train like a rock-star. When I am lacking sleep like the last few days I drag badly.

I rode the cross bike on dirt roads for almost two hours yesterday. Tons of fun but windy and hilly and hard. My legs were pretty wasted by the end. It also takes a lot of upper body effort to ride on the dirt roads and I could feel it in my swim this morning. Run went well tonight however ;-)
2016-05-10 8:10 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis 

What have other people found in terms of FTP difference inside vs outside?

Mine are very, very similar.  I find threshold efforts to be slightly more manageable on the trainer than outside (I think it's partly mental, in that I have to have some bandwidth available for avoiding potholes, dogs, cars, other riders, etc. outside, while I can just bury my face in the stem inside), but long HIM to sweet spot efforts to be easier outside since I can tolerate (and even want) the mental distractions. 

I have a 40k TT coming up next month and am hoping to validate my FTP setting.  It's a (mostly) closed course on a smooth section of road, so should require too much more bandwidth than would be necessary on the trainer.

I "feel" similar to Nicole in that I don't really notice a difference between indoor and outdoor power.

Been absent lately, and wish I could say it was just BT.  Work travel + sick and I'm now way behind for Tremblant 70.3 training.  Hope that I can put in some solid weeks at the end, but I'm still sick and not putting in much in the way of efforts.  We'll just have to see how this all plays out.

2016-05-11 7:46 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
Ontario

Love getting a good deal.  My wife went to an "athletic outlet" that's only around for a few days, and wouldn't you know it she left with three pairs of Hokas for me @ $50 each.  I'm now set for a while!

2016-05-13 8:14 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by GoFaster

Love getting a good deal.  My wife went to an "athletic outlet" that's only around for a few days, and wouldn't you know it she left with three pairs of Hokas for me @ $50 each.  I'm now set for a while!

Hey Neil, is the outlet sale in the GTA area?  Always looking to stock up on discounted gear!

On the training front, I ran 7 kms on the treadmill last night after taking a few weeks off to rest my heel/foot.  Not sure if its plantar fasciitis as I don't have all of the symptoms but I don't want to take any chances.  

Felt good last night and this morning, but after my last run 2 weeks ago the pain came back later in the day so I'll have to see how it goes.

Will be putting speedwork on the back burner until this is totally resolved, but was wondering if hills work is a decent substitution and will improve speed?

The incline may actually help as it moves the pressure towards the front of the foot and away from my heel.

Also, received my LG M2 tri jersey last night.  I was in between sizes but on the advice of LG's customer service went with the larger size and glad I did.

It is tight!!!  I will have to test it out in the water, but I don't think it will impact my swim any more than a wetsuit. For those who wear sleeved tri tops, I have heard that some will only wear it pulled down around the waist underneath a wetsuit and then slip the sleeves on during the run to transition?

For most of the local races, the distance to T1 is quite short and would likely cut into transition time to get the jersey on. 

2016-05-13 12:05 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have done 5 races now with the PI Octane sleeved tri top on during the swim (under my wetsuit) and noticed no issues. Maybe it is affecting my swim and I don't even realize it but it didn't seem to cause any problems at all. My PI is very tight and has very little in the way of wrinkles when riding so it isn't like I have a loose fitting top on. I'm just not sure that I could get it on in T1 when I was already wet. I guess I should test this out. I have a new Coure sleeved trisuit on order and might play around this in the back yard. Let my kid hose me down and then try to get the top on quickly.

I am not sure about hill work and PF. It would seem to me that running up hill would stress your achilles and gastrocs as much or more than speed work. I had moderate PF for almost all of my 2014 race season and "ran through it". Not sure if that was the right answer but it was what I did and eventually it resolved...... I did a lot of running in a pair of Hoka Stinsons that felt very stiff to me and that seemed to help, FWIW.

2016-05-14 7:48 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I agree with Jason that hill work is not likely to be a good idea for PF. As far as I know if you're really trying to keep PF at bay, speedwork and hillwork are both out. I've been pretty successful at getting rid of PF with stretches and taping, and whenever injuries pop up for me my go-to is to return to the treadmill, whether full-time or at least part-time as I find it's much kinder to my body (though I know some people who seem to find the opposite).
2016-05-14 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Scott71
Not sure if its plantar fasciitis as I don't have all of the symptoms but I don't want to take any chances.  

I have had achilles issues for a long time but they were always "further up" the achilles.

At one point I had pain at the very bottom of the heel and it was "insertional achilles" problems. At first I thought it was PF but wasn't.

Long story short, I would get it professionally diagnosed. Proper treatment is critical. (IMO)

2016-05-14 7:39 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Through a convoluted series of events, I find myself in Philadelphia, settling in for a week. No bike. No pool (that I have been able to figure out how to access). So, it looks like a very run focused week. Really the last thing I need at this point but it will be ok. I'm sure it will be good for me in the long run.

I might try to figure out how to run up the stairs from Rocky while humming the theme song.....
2016-05-17 10:58 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Alright so I am 0/3 in my spring 70.3's.

Was going to do NOLA 70.3, then decided to save the travel money to meet g/f for a weekend instead (Doing a LD relationship right now, both doing IMWI this year)
Got approval to get into Chatt 70.3, but didn't want to eat up 2 missed days of work.
Went to go signup for Toughman Indiana, realized its a on Saturday not a Sunday, can't take off Saturdays.

So here I am, just designed up a swim, bike, run course here locally in Madison. Having a friend help as SAG. Have access to swim buoys, and designed a bike course will all right hand turns so I don't have to cross traffic with a simple out and back to nail the 56 miles. Designed the run to be flat and on soft trail to minimize the beating the body takes for a solo 70.3. Though I do have a couple friends biking and/or running along with me.

See how it goes this weekend.
2016-05-18 8:58 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ben, Sounds awesome to me. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

I am still in Philadelphia but it looks like I will be headed home later today. Just finished my fourth straight day of running. I was significantly slower thsn planned. It is educational to see the fatigue in the body from running every day versus the cross training of tri training. I am pretty sure that I could adapt in time but even if I were to switch to primarily being a runner I think that there would be 2-4 sessions of swimming or biking per week just to keep up fitness while reducing wear and tear. I am very seriously considering becoming a runner for six months after Chattanooga and really attacking the sub-3 marathon goal instead of tip-toeing around it like I have been. Just a thought......

2016-05-21 7:41 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Question for the group: How important do you find actual racing is in order to get ready for an "A" race? In other words, how useful is it to have a couple of "B" or "C" races under your belt in order to dial in transitions, nutrition, and general race-readiness?

I was supposed to have my first race next weekend but it got cancelled. So as of now I'll have one race (a sprint at the end of June) before my "A" race (an Oly at the end of July). In a way it's not the end of the world that the May race got cancelled as I'm still recovering from my achilles issue. But having not raced since last August, I'm wondering whether I'd be better served by getting another sprint in there (there's one here in three weeks) just to help getting everything dialed in. On the other hand I wouldn't want to risk moving backwards in my achilles recovery by doing race-intensity stuff too early.

I can practice transitions on my own, but it's not quite the same. I know last year I definitely got smoother (and more calm) as I progressed through my race calendar.
2016-05-21 4:20 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My first race in 2014 was an early season A race. I messed up several aspects of the race..... just dumb decisions, forgotten things, etc. I wished that I had done a couple races before to iron out the kinks.

Last year I got my only flat, ever, in a race in my first race of the season. Still not sure if it was user error or something else but you can be sure that I had my tubes installed properly when the important races came around.

Even having raced for many years it always seems like the first race of the season throws you a couple curve balls to remind you to pay attention.
2016-05-21 4:30 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

When I raced in January, I hadn't raced since the previous June.  I should have practiced transitions on my own (with the gear I planned to race in), but I didn't.  They were a bit rough (T2 mostly).  That said, I think if you're willing to actually practice transitions on your own, racing isn't that big of a deal.  I think you'd be more than fine with one race leading up to your "A" race.  

And for what it's worth, I'd much rather go into my "A" race healthy than have a tune up race where I hurt myself just to practice transitions. 

2016-05-24 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
So my spring season has been frustrating to race....

NOLA 70.3 cancelled trip
Chatt 70.3 - didnt want to take 2 days off work and pay day of reg fees 4 weeks out
Toughman Indiana - couldn't get off work

So I decidid to do my own solo 70.3. Swam with a friend, then had running SAG on the run, with the bike being solo. Ended up with a swim pace PR, 30 watt bike PR and had a solid run off the bike on the hottest day of the year.

Puts me in a good spot heading into the race season.

Solo endeavor was fun and interesting, felt like how tri was many years ago. Looking to maybe make this an annual event, others in the area already expressed a bit of interest.
2016-05-24 12:55 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nice.

It would be fun to make it an annual, small group event.

2016-05-25 7:27 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Ben-I suspect a "solo race" like that is also good for building mental toughness. Just focusing on what you are doing rather than what is going on with other racers.  Sounds like you are in a good place heading into the season.

Sorry I have been absent.  I have been following along.  Had my 3rd race of the season on May 14th.   It was a super sprint and I got to go off in the "elite" first wave of 15.  Not sure that I qualify as elite in any way but it was fun to race head to head with the really fast guys.  Ended up 8th in the wave so didn't embarass myself despite the limited running. 5K effort was about 30 seconds off from the prior year.

We have our big local race coming up on June 4th.  Swim is blah, bike is good and run is meh.  Right knee was doing great after the cortisone shot earlier this month but after a hard 5K run effort at the 5/14 race it is bothering me again. So, I have an MRI next Tuesday and we will see what is going on.  I suspect a torn meniscus.  My ortho is a buddy from my tri team so hope to hear back quickly after the MRI.  I suspect I will likely get scoped in early June and hopefully be fit enough for some decent race efforts in Sept/Oct.

Have to admit that my motivation has been low this year.  I hope that I can still bike over the Summer as I have really enjoyed getting out on the road bike this year.  I suspect my bike fitness is pretty good but I need to get out on the tri bike a bit more.  Have to admit that I am curious as to what improvements I  could make cycling without all the distractions of swimming and running.  I should have a better idea of what the rest of the year holds after the MRI....seems that recovery from meniscus scope varies a good bit.  I know Jason mad a quick recovery and didn't lose a step...not sure the same will hold true for an old man like me.

Anyone have big weekend plans? 

2016-05-26 2:41 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ha. Old man? You are too fast to be considered an old man.

Anyone have big plans for the holiday weekend? Races? Vacation? Barbecues? I am headed to our place in Northern Michigan. I'm going to take the bike with me and get in some quality riding. I think Lake Michigan is too cold to do more than short efforts in (at least for a cold whimp like me). Later in the summer our place is triathlon training paradise: great roads, fantastic running trails that go on for miles and Lake Michigan for some OWS fun.

My training has been excellent. I have had some really nice, longer workouts the last three days and have hit all of my numbers in each one. However, when I ran today my legs were really heavy and felt slow from all the work they have done. I think that is a good thing. Swim only tomorrow will hopefully let them recover a bit. I am less motivated to race than I have been in the past. Usually I would have a bunch of races on the schedule but this year I am doing it a little more free-form and making it up as I go. I am sure that I will do a couple more races but I just haven't committed yet.
2016-05-27 6:43 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Yowza.

Fatigue transfers across all three disciplines.

I expected my swim today to be a high quality event but it turned out to be very hard. Hit my goal numbers..... but barely. I think that the hard training of the last few days is finally catching up with me. Which is good.

Really looking forward to this weekend and using some of what Ben described as the legal PED...... (sleep)
2016-05-27 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Hey everyone. I have been absent for a long time. Crazy busy at work and trying to get in some exercise.

Did my HIM last Sat. I'm not sure what else could have gone wrong as I look back on it. The winds were blowing for several days. On race day it was blowing steady at 20 mph with gusts to 45. Consequently I had to take my allergy meds which really messed up my stomach. Here are the gory details.

Swim - between the way my stomach was feeling, the altitude (4200' above where I live and train) and the water temp around 60 degrees, my swim was on the poor side. Could have been worse, but also could have been a lot better.

Bike - my stomach was really hurting me. About 2/3rds of the ride down, I abandoned my nutrition in favor of just water. I knew it was not a great idea but better than not finishing. I ended up coming in just under three hours. Considering the long exit and entrance through the parking lot with people & cars and speed bumps plus the 40 yard walk-in with the bike, I was happy with the time.

Run - awful may be too kind. The first half was not great but manageable. The second half I paid dearly for skipping my nutrition for the last 20 miles of the bike.

Anyway, I got back yesterday. Doing a ride today, the Color Run tomorrow, group ride on Monday. On Tuesday I start back at it for my IM in Dec.

Glad to be back and looking forward to participating more.
2016-05-27 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I think / hope that's the problem with my swimming.  It has been a constant struggle for me all year (and late last year), which fits in perfectly with when I was able to start running again.  My old "cruise" pace is now my "fast, feel like I might die" pace, and that's been really disappointing, but I'm hoping that if I lose five minutes in the swim, it's because I made up a few on the bike and 10+ on the run (yeah, that's how bad of a runner I am/was!).

It was warm (78F) and humid (100%) for my long run on Sunday -- I had some tempo work in there, which I finished successfully, and then promptly proceeded to implode!  I spent the rest of the day being lazy and hydrating, but my HRV was in the dumps on Monday morning, which prompted some schedule rearrangement.  I took an easy day on Monday, did the harder of my two bike sessions on Tuesday morning (after the easy day), hill repeats on the treadmill Wednesday evening, and then the easier of my bike sessions (which is NOT easy, just easier than the other session) on Thursday morning -- needless to say, my legs hated me by the end, but came around nicely for an easy afternoon run.  All that to say, my MWF morning swims were all a struggle this week!

Has anyone else been listening to the Tower 26 Be Race Ready podcasts?  They've been really interesting and I'm trying to incorporate some of the things they do (and tools they use) to hopefully help improve my swimming.  If you haven't listened, I highly recommend it.  They're only nine episodes in, and each is less than 30 minutes: http://tower26radio.libsyn.com/ 

2016-05-27 7:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by slornow

Ben-I suspect a "solo race" like that is also good for building mental toughness. Just focusing on what you are doing rather than what is going on with other racers.  Sounds like you are in a good place heading into the season.

Sorry I have been absent.  I have been following along.  Had my 3rd race of the season on May 14th.   It was a super sprint and I got to go off in the "elite" first wave of 15.  Not sure that I qualify as elite in any way but it was fun to race head to head with the really fast guys.  Ended up 8th in the wave so didn't embarass myself despite the limited running. 5K effort was about 30 seconds off from the prior year.

We have our big local race coming up on June 4th.  Swim is blah, bike is good and run is meh.  Right knee was doing great after the cortisone shot earlier this month but after a hard 5K run effort at the 5/14 race it is bothering me again. So, I have an MRI next Tuesday and we will see what is going on.  I suspect a torn meniscus.  My ortho is a buddy from my tri team so hope to hear back quickly after the MRI.  I suspect I will likely get scoped in early June and hopefully be fit enough for some decent race efforts in Sept/Oct.

Have to admit that my motivation has been low this year.  I hope that I can still bike over the Summer as I have really enjoyed getting out on the road bike this year.  I suspect my bike fitness is pretty good but I need to get out on the tri bike a bit more.  Have to admit that I am curious as to what improvements I  could make cycling without all the distractions of swimming and running.  I should have a better idea of what the rest of the year holds after the MRI....seems that recovery from meniscus scope varies a good bit.  I know Jason mad a quick recovery and didn't lose a step...not sure the same will hold true for an old man like me.

Anyone have big weekend plans? 

I've been pretty busy and must say injury and lack of time has taken away some motivation. I have no expectations for MT70.3 since my run is very far from optimal. But it is what it is.

I rode a new tri bike today and that was fun. I did not plan to test it but realized I need to. It seems much faster.
I also rebuilt my road bike and what a difference that has been. I love that new bike and I am sure it's all in the wheels.

To Nicole's comment, I think Gerry is by far, the most competent swim coach out there. By far.

Edited by marcag 2016-05-27 7:18 PM
2016-05-31 1:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Had a great weekend of bike racing.  Didn't feel my best for the first race which was a 16 mile hill climb, but managed 6th overall and 3rd in my division.  Somehow felt a lot better the next morning for a 10.8 mile flat TT and set a new 25 minute peak power to finish 4th overall and again 3rd in my division.  Last race was a crit in the afternoon and won in a sprint to the line that also led to me taking the overall points win.

Edited by Jason N 2016-05-31 1:57 PM

Attachments
----------------
image.jpeg (1621KB - 6 downloads)
2016-05-31 8:31 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jason.

Very nice work. It is my dream to one day be able to push myself like that on the bike.
2016-06-01 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Nice.

It would be fun to make it an annual, small group event.

Yeah it's been tossed around to do it as a charity fundraiser of sorts maybe next year.

I always wanted to do an ultra man, maybe just do it here in Wisconsin first, solo endeavor with friends helping along the way for pacing, etc.

We'll see.

Finally get to really race this month. Sprint and half, feel good going in, see what comes of it later this month.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 55325 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.