BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-06-14 6:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed

Doctor cleaned up medial and lateral meniscus tears and removed some"junk" that may have been contributing to the catching feeling I had  a certain spot in the range of motion in the knee.  Also found some bone to bone issues and a good bit of arthritis.  Should be able to spin lightly in a few days once the selling subsides.  I suspect future running will be up to me and if it does happen I will need to keep volume and intensity in check.

Worked a couple of hours today and will likely try to get back to a more normal work day tomorrow.  Pain has not been too bad so far.  

Edited by slornow 2016-06-14 7:26 PM

2016-06-14 6:53 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Good luck with the recovery Randy, hopefully it all works out.
2016-06-15 8:17 AM

User image

Oakville

Indeed, rest up Randy and hopefully your recovery is short!

2016-06-15 8:21 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Oakville

Well, I raced my first Sprint tri this past weekend and, overall, I’m pretty happy with how things went. I plan to write up a race report at some point, but below are a few highlights of the race:

The Good:

• I was worried about the run in terms of my fitness and possible PF flare up in my right foot, but my foot was fine and I was actually slightly faster this year as compared to the same race last year.

• Excluding the pros and the elites, my bike split was 9th overall. I decided to race by feel rather than target a specific power number and ended up with an AP of 246 and a NP of 254. A little lower that what I estimated my power would be for this race based on training, but the course was rolling hills with heavy wind and gusts up to 50 km/hr. Tough to maintain any steady power.

• Raced with Lionel Sanders who chose to join us mere mortals for a local Sprint. He won handily in 57:15, with a 16:29 5K run.  Total class act and he spent several hours after the race talking with the Agers and taking pictures.

The Bad:

• I was hoping to see some gains on the swim this year, but struggled for the entire race and was slower than last year.  Started out too strong and so my form fell apart and my legs started to drop at about the halfway mark.

• Although my right foot didn’t give me any trouble my left calf cramped during the swim (never had that happen before) and was one giant knot after the race.  Four days later and it’s still very tight. A racer from my AG is a chiropractor and did some ART after the race. Hurt like hell but seemed to help a little. Foam rolling seems to be helping now.

• Very happy with my run but fought a really bad side stitch for the first 2 kms or so.  Looking back at my past 3 or 4 race seasons, I will typically cramp in my first race, but it tends to go away as the season progresses.

The Ugly

• Shortly before the first buoy I was caught up in a group of swimmers and couldn’t catch a breath for 3 or 4 strokes.  Had a bit of a panic attack (first time in 4 years) and it took a while to get back into a rhythm. Rolled onto my back for a few strokes to catch my breath and then forced myself to get back into freestyle and calm down.

I also didn’t wear my M-2 jersey as I didn’t want to risk a malfunction in T1 or on the bike. After Nicole’s post above, I tried the jersey on again last week and the zipper popped on me again.  Its not a problem so long as I don’t pull down on the left side, but I’m usually not thinking to clearly after the swim and was worried I’d forget.  Still waiting to hear back from LG customer service whether this is a defect or not.

2016-06-15 10:17 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Scott71

Well, I raced my first Sprint tri this past weekend and, overall, I’m pretty happy with how things went. I plan to write up a race report at some point, but below are a few highlights of the race:

The Good:

• I was worried about the run in terms of my fitness and possible PF flare up in my right foot, but my foot was fine and I was actually slightly faster this year as compared to the same race last year.

• Excluding the pros and the elites, my bike split was 9th overall. I decided to race by feel rather than target a specific power number and ended up with an AP of 246 and a NP of 254. A little lower that what I estimated my power would be for this race based on training, but the course was rolling hills with heavy wind and gusts up to 50 km/hr. Tough to maintain any steady power.

• Raced with Lionel Sanders who chose to join us mere mortals for a local Sprint. He won handily in 57:15, with a 16:29 5K run.  Total class act and he spent several hours after the race talking with the Agers and taking pictures.

The Bad:

• I was hoping to see some gains on the swim this year, but struggled for the entire race and was slower than last year.  Started out too strong and so my form fell apart and my legs started to drop at about the halfway mark.

• Although my right foot didn’t give me any trouble my left calf cramped during the swim (never had that happen before) and was one giant knot after the race.  Four days later and it’s still very tight. A racer from my AG is a chiropractor and did some ART after the race. Hurt like hell but seemed to help a little. Foam rolling seems to be helping now.

• Very happy with my run but fought a really bad side stitch for the first 2 kms or so.  Looking back at my past 3 or 4 race seasons, I will typically cramp in my first race, but it tends to go away as the season progresses.

The Ugly

• Shortly before the first buoy I was caught up in a group of swimmers and couldn’t catch a breath for 3 or 4 strokes.  Had a bit of a panic attack (first time in 4 years) and it took a while to get back into a rhythm. Rolled onto my back for a few strokes to catch my breath and then forced myself to get back into freestyle and calm down.

I also didn’t wear my M-2 jersey as I didn’t want to risk a malfunction in T1 or on the bike. After Nicole’s post above, I tried the jersey on again last week and the zipper popped on me again.  Its not a problem so long as I don’t pull down on the left side, but I’m usually not thinking to clearly after the swim and was worried I’d forget.  Still waiting to hear back from LG customer service whether this is a defect or not.

Sounds like there is plenty of good to build on.  Early season races are always a mix and it seems the bike and run went well.  I think the issue you had with the swim can happen even to experienced athletes.  You got it under control and moved forward....good job.

2016-06-17 8:02 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I agree with Randy. Sounds like a pretty good result given your concerns going in.

I would be very excited to meet Lionel Sanders at a race. I think I mentioned earlier in our group that I am a LS fanboy. Somehow he is very easy to root for. If I ever get another dog I think I will name it Lionel....

I am having a very good block of training the last two weeks. There is a lot of fatigue in my legs but I am assuming that is how I should be feeling and I keep plugging along while giving my coach feedback.

Tomorrow I am planning a three hour mountain bike ride. Need a break from the trainer but my wife doesn't want me riding the roads around home. We have an awesome trail about 30 minutes from home that I am planning to ride. Two laps of the train should take about 2:40-3:00 if I don't fall and break something.

2016-06-19 2:13 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I raced a 40k TT yesterday! I'm happy with how it went and very excited for what's to come in the future....I know where I have room for immediate improvement and also know that I'm highly motivated to keep working hard to make additional gains.

Race report here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=541984&posts=1#M5187633 

2016-06-19 8:46 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nicole-well done!  Really enjoyed the RR...getting into the mental aspect of the suffering of a 40K TT.  So hard to deal with the heat on the Gulf Coast when pushing the intensity.  Great job.

Knee update-through Wednesday it was pretty painful and very stiff. Woke up Thursday and pain was much less.  Hit the stationery bike for 15-20 minutes on Thursday and Friday to work on ROM.  Today I got on the rollers in the garage for an easy spin on a real bike and felt good.  Low watts but steady spin with  no pain and continued good ROM.  Not going to do anything but easy spinning until I follow up with doc next Monday.  Overall, pretty pleased at how things have improved over the last few days.  

2016-06-20 5:29 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Bib list is out for Tremblant this weekend - #1744.  Not feeling very prepared for this and a little worried about the expected temps, but intend to go out and just get through this one and be smart about pacing and power.  

2016-06-21 5:48 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Bib list is out for Tremblant this weekend - #1744.  Not feeling very prepared for this and a little worried about the expected temps, but intend to go out and just get through this one and be smart about pacing and power.  

Officially I decide tomorrow if I'm doing it, but I guess I'll do it. All my buddies bailed due to injuries and with single digit (in km) long runs, my motivation isn't there. But the weather is supposed to be nice so I guess I will.

Swim is ok, probably on par with previous years. Bike is a bit stronger. Run is significantly lacking. I can't imagine running 21km at this point. But I am healthy, it's just I got back to running way too late.

If it's a nice day, I'll do it. If it rains, I'll be in the pub :-)

2016-06-21 7:21 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nicole-Nice result in the TT.

Marc-Crossing my fingers that you are able to get out and do it. What a great place to be able to race, even if your run training is not quite what you want it to be.

Our local sprint tri is this weekend. I am scheduled to be working on Saturday but I am trying to figure out a way that I could actually race and then go in to work. If only I were independently wealthy. :-)

Training must be going ok because I seem to be sore all over...... I think that is a good sign.

2016-06-21 8:56 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Looking like it will be a toasty one this weekend - so expect to see you somewhere on the course.  

2016-06-22 6:23 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Looking like it will be a toasty one this weekend - so expect to see you somewhere on the course.  

I woke up this morning and changed tires. I guess that's commitment :-)

2016-06-22 11:43 AM

User image

Haleakala this weekend for me.  Training hasn't been ideal lately due to work, and weight is also up about 5 pounds from earlier in the year...but still a couple pounds better than last year.  Not sure how it will play out...just glad to be away from work for 5 days.

2016-06-22 12:27 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Oakville

I have another Sprint on Saturday.  Although my foot is feeling fine and my calf has loosened up, I decided against upgrading to the long course tri. I don't think my run fitness is quite there and don't want any setbacks for the rest of the season. 

The bike course is pancake flat and the weather is predicting very light winds, so hoping I can keep a consistent power output and then plug the data into aerolab.

My speed vs watts from the last Sprint was pretty lousy, but I'm hoping that was due to the strong gusty wind conditions and the rolling hills of the course.

2016-06-23 6:39 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Awesome TT Nicole, getting that close to 1 hour on 188W seems like you must be doing a lot right aerodynamically, and you seemed to execute a solid race plan. Nice work. I'm hoping to try a 40km TT after the tri season is over.

Neil and Marc, good luck this weekend. It's looking like it's going to be pretty hot out there so stay hydrated!

Scott, sounds like you're making the right call sticking with the shorter distance. You're much less likely to regret going short than going long.

I'm excited to finally get this season underway this weekend. Same course and conditions as last year so I'm interested to see what kinds of gains I've been able to make in the offseason. Achilles are feeling fine, and I've done a few intervals on the treadmill just a tad slower than my 10km pace and everything's held up, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 5km effort this weekend goes smoothly.

2016-06-24 2:32 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

Master
, California

Hey guys, just letting you know I've been lurking a bit also.  For those who don't know me, my name is Mark, I live in the pacific northwest, used to participate in the SBR group a bit.

This year has been a challenge health-wise but I'm hoping the summer will be better

2016-06-25 9:50 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by spudone

Hey guys, just letting you know I've been lurking a bit also.  For those who don't know me, my name is Mark, I live in the pacific northwest, used to participate in the SBR group a bit.

This year has been a challenge health-wise but I'm hoping the summer will be better

Good to hear from you Mark. Welcome to the group.
2016-06-25 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Hope Mont Tremblant goes well for Marc and Neil tomorrow! 

Anyone else racing?  I'm working....sigh

2016-06-25 7:44 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Bib numbers?

I would love to follow your progress.

Good luck. Have fun.
2016-06-25 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by wannabefaster Bib numbers? I would love to follow your progress. Good luck. Have fun.

Neil is 1744 and Marc is 320 -- I'll be stalking....I mean, following and cheering  

2016-06-26 12:57 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Marc all done in 5:10:09. 13th in his AG. Pretty darn good for a guy who didn't think his running was where it was supposed to be.
2016-06-26 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by wannabefaster Marc all done in 5:10:09. 13th in his AG. Pretty darn good for a guy who didn't think his running was where it was supposed to be.

Right?!?!  I would give up a kidney to be able to run like that (injured or not!)

Neil is within 5k of finishing and appears to have some really solids splits too.  Nice work, guys!

2016-06-26 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by wannabefaster Marc all done in 5:10:09. 13th in his AG. Pretty darn good for a guy who didn't think his running was where it was supposed to be.

Right?!?!  I would give up a kidney to be able to run like that (injured or not!)

Neil is within 5k of finishing and appears to have some really solids splits too.  Nice work, guys!

thanks for following

It was an ok race. The goal is to go easy on the bike and see if I could run without issues. Problem is I went way too easy on the bike. I could never get into a groove. At one point I felt things were good, looked down, power was exactly at target but it was too late in the race. I had gone too easy.

Started the run feeling i hadn't even bike, felt really good. Kept my HR at 148 for the whole run which is really low.

It was really hot out, but the ice availability was amazing. I ran with ice in my tri suit the whole way.

Major disappointment of the race : no beer.

So I am neither happy or disappointed. It's probably the easiest HIM I have ever done. The run was actually like a feel good long run. Problem is I am not sure I want to go deep anymore.
2016-06-26 6:17 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
No beer?

The beer and poutine was the best finish line food ever. It knocks this race down a notch for me
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 55334 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.