BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-10-05 3:00 PM
in reply to: #5200764

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
I wear Brooks Glycerins - love them. Sometimes SierraTradingPost.com has them on sale. Dick's has the 13's in sale right now (might be over by now). The sale brought them from 150 to 110 and I had a $10 off coupon so paid $100 for them. We do have a local running store, Fleet Feet, and the folks are awesome. I usually try to support them but with all the running we do, I'll admit I try to get a better price elsewhere when I can.

2016-10-05 3:32 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

I don't have much on the sport side to report on. I've been off season binging (so many jujubes) and training for a half marathon this weekend and a full at the end of October. The full is apparently the hardest marathon in Canada. yay... 

On the beer side, I've decided to invest a bit of cash into a home-brew setup. I'm going with all-grain brew in a bag setup to save on costs and space. My wife endorses the idea. She says I get grumpy during my rest weeks so she thinks brewing should be my rest week activity to keep me occupied. :P 

2016-10-05 4:38 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I find a shoe model I like and periodically search for sales or last year models and will buy a new pair even when I don't need them.

2016-10-06 7:17 AM
in reply to: #5200946

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice tempo run in the dark this morning, followed by some strength training and yoga.

Thanks for all the shoe advice! I usually buy online too, but wanted to talk to a knowledgable person (ha! Didn't find one!), since I knew I would be switching from the Hokas. Hokas were great, but they don't come in wide, and I need wide!
2016-10-07 7:56 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2100m in the pool at masters today. It was rough. I went out to lunch yesterday with a colleague and we ended up spending all afternoon in the bar, drinking 6 pints each (Sam Adams Oktoberfest--not the greatest, but it was the best they had on tap). We had a productive meeting, but I think that might have been the first time I had to call a designated driver to bring me home from work!

I feel like I'm finally back on track. August and September were pretty lax months, but this first week of October has been great! Just looked at my stats and already I'm almost half way to my September totals for swimming and running. I will be by the time tomorrow is over (assuming all goes to plan).

Are we done with tris for the year? Anyone have one left? What about other types? What's everyone's plan for the winter?
2016-10-07 8:59 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

2100m in the pool at masters today. It was rough. I went out to lunch yesterday with a colleague and we ended up spending all afternoon in the bar, drinking 6 pints each (Sam Adams Oktoberfest--not the greatest, but it was the best they had on tap). We had a productive meeting, but I think that might have been the first time I had to call a designated driver to bring me home from work!

I feel like I'm finally back on track. August and September were pretty lax months, but this first week of October has been great! Just looked at my stats and already I'm almost half way to my September totals for swimming and running. I will be by the time tomorrow is over (assuming all goes to plan).

Are we done with tris for the year? Anyone have one left? What about other types? What's everyone's plan for the winter?

Great job on the swimming, Gretchen!
I want to work at your college....beveraging with a colleague is great! My colleagues do coffee...beer would be much more fun.

2016-10-07 9:51 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Great job on the swimming, Gretchen!
I want to work at your college....beveraging with a colleague is great! My colleagues do coffee...beer would be much more fun.

I don't know if it is an institutional thing, but I'm certain it is a forensic anthropology/bioarchaeology thing!
2016-10-07 11:28 AM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by drfoodlove Are we done with tris for the year? Anyone have one left? What about other types? What's everyone's plan for the winter?

I'm done. Triathlon up here in MA finish up at the end of September, and folks transition over to single discipline events. I'll probably sign up for the odd 5k, but nothing's firmly on the calendar for the winter.

Training for the bike I'm a bit on the fence. The realistic part of me wants to just throw in the towel, put the bike on the trainer, and shift my riding to the evenings. But then I look out the window and it's perfect weather, and all I want to do is go for a long ride. Unfortunately the new work schedule doesn't leave a lot of time for riding, so we'll see.

2016-10-07 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove . Are we done with tris for the year? Anyone have one left? What about other types? What's everyone's plan for the winter?

I've started planning out 2017 - races, training plan, etc.  Shooting for a couple of Olys if my back holds together (literally...).

Right now focusing on the bike and swim, trying to get in about 30K yards and 3-4 hours/week on the bike. 

I downloaded the new Sufferfest app for Windows - looks like it'll be pretty cool once the bugs are smushed and  the full functionality is released (like power smoothing, integration, etc.).  Those videos are a hoot.

2016-10-07 12:04 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Buy some rollers used...get to keep your tire on for those sweet fall riding days...of course they are predicting snow for us this weekend so not sure on my fall riding... :-)

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Originally posted by drfoodlove Are we done with tris for the year? Anyone have one left? What about other types? What's everyone's plan for the winter?

I'm done. Triathlon up here in MA finish up at the end of September, and folks transition over to single discipline events. I'll probably sign up for the odd 5k, but nothing's firmly on the calendar for the winter.

Training for the bike I'm a bit on the fence. The realistic part of me wants to just throw in the towel, put the bike on the trainer, and shift my riding to the evenings. But then I look out the window and it's perfect weather, and all I want to do is go for a long ride. Unfortunately the new work schedule doesn't leave a lot of time for riding, so we'll see.

2016-10-07 12:05 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Sufferfest definitely lives up to its name. I have 3 of the videos...might have to check out the app later on!

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove . Are we done with tris for the year? Anyone have one left? What about other types? What's everyone's plan for the winter?

I've started planning out 2017 - races, training plan, etc.  Shooting for a couple of Olys if my back holds together (literally...).

Right now focusing on the bike and swim, trying to get in about 30K yards and 3-4 hours/week on the bike. 

I downloaded the new Sufferfest app for Windows - looks like it'll be pretty cool once the bugs are smushed and  the full functionality is released (like power smoothing, integration, etc.).  Those videos are a hoot.

2016-10-07 12:10 PM
in reply to: #5200988

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Speaking of indoor training, what are everyone's thoughts on the various videos & apps? I've used TrainerRoad the last two years, and it's great for having some structure to the workout, but stating at a graph for an hour leaves something to be desired...
2016-10-08 8:29 AM
in reply to: #5201140

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice 3mi run this morning on a brisk fall day. Beautiful running weather!!! In a little while I'm heading to Saturday masters swim. Two hours!
2016-10-08 11:23 AM
in reply to: #5201206

User image

, California
Another good week of training. Hit all four weekday workouts for second straight week. Will finish strong with a long run and brick ride/run today and tomorrow.

I have one Tri left this season. After moving back to the states and missing out on 4 of the 5 races I had planned in Asia I had to get one in before season end. It's a Sprint distance swim and bike but with a 4.5 mile run so about 50% longer than a sprint run should be.

Anyone else watching Kona coverage this morning?

-Matt
2016-10-08 11:42 AM
in reply to: #5201214

User image

, Vermont
Streaming Kona live right now!!!
I should set my trainer up in front of it.
2016-10-09 11:29 AM
in reply to: #5201216

User image

, California
Second straight 6-workout week. Consistency is coming back. About six weeks out to Tri

-Matt

2016-10-09 12:33 PM
in reply to: #5201258

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Way to go Matt!! Consistency is key!
2016-10-09 1:33 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Amazed with the Germans in Kona, incredible Frodeno doing 2.46 in his marathon!
Trying to catch up with the activity here, see that not only training but beer makes meetings more productive...

Running shoes: once I found my model, I reorder anywhere cheap online. But, I have to admit that I buy a couple new shows at LRS, that´s how I discovered Zoots and lately On´s (this are swiss made, a swiss engineer was told he could never go back to run, and he designed his own shows, now a big hit in his country and moving around the world (on-running.com), I tried the cloudsurfers and may switch from now on from Asics to Ons, excellent!

Training: trying to maintain my shape with spinning twice per week, running 2-3 times per week, and a "long" ride on Sats with a group, 70 or 80k.

My season is over - BUT, already signed for IM Austria next July, so December 5 will start my 30 week intermediate plan -Don Fink. So still day dreaming....

Juan
2016-10-10 7:21 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens Speaking of indoor training, what are everyone's thoughts on the various videos & apps? I've used TrainerRoad the last two years, and it's great for having some structure to the workout, but stating at a graph for an hour leaves something to be desired...

Sufferfest just released their beta for their new Windows app - it has some bugs but it gives you access to all of the videos (it works a little like TrainerRoad with the SF videos dropped in).  There's also Zwift if you're into some virtual group rides.

2016-10-10 8:15 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2100m in the pool with masters this morning. I was as awkward as a walrus on land, or at least it felt that way. I stayed up too late watching the debate (waste of time!)--should have just gone to bed at my normal time.
2016-10-10 9:44 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Juancho Amazed with the Germans in Kona, incredible Frodeno doing 2.46 in his marathon! Trying to catch up with the activity here, see that not only training but beer makes meetings more productive... Running shoes: once I found my model, I reorder anywhere cheap online. But, I have to admit that I buy a couple new shows at LRS, that´s how I discovered Zoots and lately On´s (this are swiss made, a swiss engineer was told he could never go back to run, and he designed his own shows, now a big hit in his country and moving around the world (on-running.com), I tried the cloudsurfers and may switch from now on from Asics to Ons, excellent! Training: trying to maintain my shape with spinning twice per week, running 2-3 times per week, and a "long" ride on Sats with a group, 70 or 80k. My season is over - BUT, already signed for IM Austria next July, so December 5 will start my 30 week intermediate plan -Don Fink. So still day dreaming.... Juan

That sound epic.  Must be a stunning venue - I'm thinking the scenes from The Sound of Music.

2016-10-10 10:55 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got a swim in Saturday morning and was recruited by the masters team, so I might check that out this week. That would be a good motivator to stay in shape over the winter. This was my first time at the "new" pool. I think it's shorter than my old pool. Mike, do you know? Was Canton 25m? I know Towson is 25yards. I felt very fast!

No more tris for me. I might do an indoor tri if we have any in the area this winter just to have something to train for.
2016-10-10 11:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens Speaking of indoor training, what are everyone's thoughts on the various videos & apps? I've used TrainerRoad the last two years, and it's great for having some structure to the workout, but stating at a graph for an hour leaves something to be desired...

I use TrainerRoad basically exclusively while watching old Tour stages. I've used Zwift in the past and it's enjoyable but it also gets tedious watching a digital person ride a bike around for hours. You need a good direct drive trainer with the ability to simulate climbs and descents to really make Zwift effective. 

Sufferfest is a great way to f-ck up your training. It's nice to do it once or twice a month just to mix it up but I wouldn't base my training around it. You sweat and you burn calories. That's about it. I don't know anyone who has become a better cyclist from using the Sufferfest. 

One the best solutions I've come up with to eradicate Trainer boredom is to listen to podcasts with headphones and watch Tour/race videos. Focusing on the podcast during long moderate intensity stuff makes the time go by quickly and during harder efforts I focus on the race videos for motivation. I also frequently visualize myself in a race that I'm planning for or a race that went well in the past for motivation during tougher parts of the workout. 

Edited by adempsey10 2016-10-10 11:43 AM
2016-10-10 12:05 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Got a swim in Saturday morning and was recruited by the masters team, so I might check that out this week. That would be a good motivator to stay in shape over the winter. This was my first time at the "new" pool. I think it's shorter than my old pool. Mike, do you know? Was Canton 25m? I know Towson is 25yards. I felt very fast! No more tris for me. I might do an indoor tri if we have any in the area this winter just to have something to train for.

Yes, Canton was 25 meters - that's a pretty rare pool size in the US.  The first time I swam there I was like "WTF?? I"m really slow!!!"

I've been debating doing Masters with the Towson group; their times are much more compatible than the Canton Masters group (which for all intents and purposes might as well not be affiliated with the Merritt anymore).

2016-10-10 12:06 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by adempsey10

I use TrainerRoad basically exclusively while watching old Tour stages. I've used Zwift in the past and it's enjoyable but it also gets tedious watching a digital person ride a bike around for hours. You need a good direct drive trainer with the ability to simulate climbs and descents to really make Zwift effective. 

Sufferfest is a great way to f-ck up your training. It's nice to do it once or twice a month just to mix it up but I wouldn't base my training around it. You sweat and you burn calories. That's about it. I don't know anyone who has become a better cyclist from using the Sufferfest. 

One the best solutions I've come up with to eradicate Trainer boredom is to listen to podcasts with headphones and watch Tour/race videos. Focusing on the podcast during long moderate intensity stuff makes the time go by quickly and during harder efforts I focus on the race videos for motivation. I also frequently visualize myself in a race that I'm planning for or a race that went well in the past for motivation during tougher parts of the workout. 

Just curious...why?  I get it that you can't just do them every day because their IF is so high - is that the reason or something else?

And I also record the whole TdF on my DVR and watch it during the longer endurance sessions on the trainer.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6327 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17383 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.