BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-10-10 1:26 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Just curious...why?  I get it that you can't just do them every day because their IF is so high - is that the reason or something else?

And I also record the whole TdF on my DVR and watch it during the longer endurance sessions on the trainer.

I'm jealous. I have no DVR. I rely on what people upload and youtube. Mostly I just watch 1998-2005 over and over again because that's pretty much all I have. 

Sufferfest.

1) Almost all sufferfest workouts are hugely variable in their efforts. They're more like kitchen sink workouts in that they hit every zone and intensity level over the course of the workout. This is great for the occasional workout (depending on the time of the year) but these workouts don't really do anything for overall fitness.

2) They are usually all focused on high intensity efforts. High intensity and efforts at 105+% of FTP have their place but no one needs to train their 20s-3min power in the fall and winter. It's a fitness that doesn't last and the intervals aren't structured enough to have longterm adaptation benefit. I.e. You'll get really good at hammering for 30s for a couple of weeks but won't see as much hypertrophy of fast twitch muscle fibres, increased ATP storage, or increased lactate tolerance as you would with proper structured anaerobic and neuromuscular  workouts. 

3) Because the workouts are so intense you accumulate fatigue, you sweat, you burn calories, you might even be a little sore after. All these things we take to be signs of a 'good' workout and give us the impression that we're training effectively. The problem is that Sufferfest workouts incorporate very little moderate intensity work (65-95% of FTP) and when they do it's often for very short intervals, much shorter than is needed for the effort to be effective. So while you feel like your getting a good workout, you aerobic ability is probably suffering (possible pun intended). 

4) Folks often argue for the benefit of Sufferfest because they 'simulate real riding conditions' i.e. riding outside usually involves lots of varying effort and very rarely do we, for example, ride a 20min effort at exactly 85% of FTP like you would in a TrainerRoad workout like Logan. And this is true. But simulating real road conditions isn't what makes you a stronger rider. Sweet spot, Tempo and threshold intervals aren't meant to simulate real riding. You don't ride at one power output for 10-30minutes to get used to doing that, you do it because it increases plasma volume, increases density of mitochondrial enzymes, creates a larger callipary network, etc. If you want to get better a real riding conditions, go real riding in the summertime. 

5) Folks often feel like stronger riders doing Sufferfest videos for one of two reasons. Either they lack a lot of cycling fitness to begin with, in which case any consistent riding will cause improvement, or because they get used to the workouts, they acclimate to the effort but can't necessarily produce more power or are any stronger. It won't necessarily equate to faster times out on the road. Sufferfest workouts will definitely result in some performance improvements but compared to structured workouts of the same length, the benefit per minute of workout is significantly lower than in structured workouts. 

6) Sufferfest workouts can be so difficult at times that many people without the requisite base fitness can either injure themselves or burn out and get sick of training from doing these too much. Those Tour of Sufferlandria things are cool but don't mistake them for a week long training session just because they emulate hard racing. Actual stage races kill fitness (and not just because they make you tired). Those kinds of races and race situations are what you train for, not what you use to train. 

2016-10-10 2:59 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Thanks, Alan.  That makes a lot of sense.

I've used them pretty sporadically over the past few years - the one I've used the most is Hell Hath No Fury which is basically a 2 x 20' workout with a beat down TT at the end.

And yes, I've done the TdS.    And I'll admit I definitely had to do a recovery week after (maybe two LOL).

What do you think of the TrainerRoad training plans?  I've loosely followed the older versions of their triathlon/TT plans.

2016-10-10 3:00 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Another month, another half marathon in the books! This time it was one of my favorites as it was the first HM I ever ran, City to the Sea. A minute faster than last year, conditions were cooler and I was ready for the hill at the end. Celebrated with a Racer 5 IPA as usual.

Still left on my calendar: 2 HM's and an Oly, with the Oly just a week after a HM. Fortunately I don't race too hard so my legs should recover in a week.

Last week I was up in Seattle for business and sampled a bunch of beers at Pike Brewing. Overall good brews. There is a chance I may be up there more often so other Seattle brewery recommendations would be appreciated!

2016-10-10 3:01 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by MOlsen

Another month, another half marathon in the books! This time it was one of my favorites as it was the first HM I ever ran, City to the Sea. A minute faster than last year, conditions were cooler and I was ready for the hill at the end. Celebrated with a Racer 5 IPA as usual.

Still left on my calendar: 2 HM's and an Oly, with the Oly just a week after a HM. Fortunately I don't race too hard so my legs should recover in a week.

Last week I was up in Seattle for business and sampled a bunch of beers at Pike Brewing. Overall good brews. There is a chance I may be up there more often so other Seattle brewery recommendations would be appreciated!

I know I've said it before, but I'm so jealous.  That's my favorite beer and I can't get it here in Maryland. 

2016-10-10 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

My daughter had a swim meet over the weekend and there were some FAST kids there.

I saw a 10 YO girl do the 100 SCY in under a minute.  I also saw a 12 YO girl do the 200 SCY in under 2 minutes.  Let that sink in for a bit.

2016-10-10 3:29 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Originally posted by Juancho already signed for IM Austria next July, so December 5 will start my 30 week intermediate plan -Don Fink. So still day dreaming.... Juan

That sound epic.  Must be a stunning venue - I'm thinking the scenes from The Sound of Music.

2016-10-11 5:15 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by drfoodloveNice tempo run in the dark this morning, followed by some strength training and yoga. Thanks for all the shoe advice! I usually buy online too, but wanted to talk to a knowledgable person (ha! Didn't find one!), since I knew I would be switching from the Hokas. Hokas were great, but they don't come in wide, and I need wide!
I think the Bondi 4's come in wide.What do you think of the Hoka line? With my back issues I'm looking for something with maximum cushioning.
2016-10-11 8:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodloveNice tempo run in the dark this morning, followed by some strength training and yoga. Thanks for all the shoe advice! I usually buy online too, but wanted to talk to a knowledgable person (ha! Didn't find one!), since I knew I would be switching from the Hokas. Hokas were great, but they don't come in wide, and I need wide!
I think the Bondi 4's come in wide.What do you think of the Hoka line? With my back issues I'm looking for something with maximum cushioning.

Man! I wish I'd known that last week! I guess I misinterpreted the guy at the LRS when I bought my Hoka OneOnes. I thought Hoka didn't make wide at all, not just in that model. Guess I know what I'm gonna try next!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Hokas, minus the blisters I kept getting from the narrow toe box on the regular width shoes. Cushioning was great! I hardly had any little aches and pains while training. They did wear out kinda fast (<200 miles), but I'm big, so shoes tend to wear out faster for me.

EDIT: Just was reminded of Hokas' 30 day challenge policy. If you buy them and don't like them, they will take the shoes back without any questions, even if you ran in them a bunch. What could you have to lose?

Edited by drfoodlove 2016-10-11 8:08 AM
2016-10-11 8:07 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning run in the dark! There is just something blissful about coming home to a sky full of stars. Followed the run with some strength training stuff and some yoga.
2016-10-11 8:39 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e Got a swim in Saturday morning and was recruited by the masters team, so I might check that out this week. That would be a good motivator to stay in shape over the winter. This was my first time at the "new" pool. I think it's shorter than my old pool. Mike, do you know? Was Canton 25m? I know Towson is 25yards. I felt very fast! No more tris for me. I might do an indoor tri if we have any in the area this winter just to have something to train for.

Yes, Canton was 25 meters - that's a pretty rare pool size in the US.  The first time I swam there I was like "WTF?? I"m really slow!!!"

I've been debating doing Masters with the Towson group; their times are much more compatible than the Canton Masters group (which for all intents and purposes might as well not be affiliated with the Merritt anymore).

Let me know if you try it out! I was thinking of going this Friday morning to give it a whirl.
2016-10-11 10:50 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Second straight 6-workout week. Consistency is coming back. About six weeks out to Tri

-Matt

Nice job!!

2016-10-11 10:56 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Juancho

Amazed with the Germans in Kona, incredible Frodeno doing 2.46 in his marathon!
Trying to catch up with the activity here, see that not only training but beer makes meetings more productive...

My season is over - BUT, already signed for IM Austria next July, so December 5 will start my 30 week intermediate plan -Don Fink. So still day dreaming....

Juan

Awesome!!!!! Austria is sooooo beautiful!!! I am totally jealous!! I've heard the bike and run are not particularly hilly but I have not yet looked into it myself.
I like the BIF program, it works for me. I like how the workouts are time-based versus mileage based. Mentally it's easier to plan workouts. So exciting!!! Let me know how it goes and for some extra support, if you do Facebook, there's a Be Iron Fit group there you can join, I'm on it.
2016-10-11 10:58 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by nicole14e

Got a swim in Saturday morning and was recruited by the masters team, so I might check that out this week. That would be a good motivator to stay in shape over the winter. This was my first time at the "new" pool. I think it's shorter than my old pool. Mike, do you know? Was Canton 25m? I know Towson is 25yards. I felt very fast!

Nice!!!! That's awesome!
2016-10-11 11:07 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
500 yds in the pool yesterday after a core workout and light upper body lifting session. i have to swim with a pull buoy still. Whatever I did to my piriformis, I did a good job. No running. I may venture out and try a short, easy ride before I go nuts. My core is sore today so it was a good session yesterday for sure. I'm thinking of going and swimming another easy 5x100 again today with the pull buoy to continue to ease back into it. Still doing my PT exercises and going in every other week.
Haven't signed up for Tremblant yet as I want to be sure this thing isn't going to nag me for the next year. That would be crushing. The plans for 2017 are starting to take shape though! So exciting!!!
2016-10-11 1:12 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

500 yds in the pool yesterday after a core workout and light upper body lifting session. i have to swim with a pull buoy still. Whatever I did to my piriformis, I did a good job. No running. I may venture out and try a short, easy ride before I go nuts. My core is sore today so it was a good session yesterday for sure. I'm thinking of going and swimming another easy 5x100 again today with the pull buoy to continue to ease back into it. Still doing my PT exercises and going in every other week.
Haven't signed up for Tremblant yet as I want to be sure this thing isn't going to nag me for the next year. That would be crushing. The plans for 2017 are starting to take shape though! So exciting!!!

Glad you are starting to feel better and getting back into light things!
2016-10-11 7:33 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, California
Well I did something quite silly and signed up for Ironman Vineman next year ??. I have done the sport for 14 months and have completed only two sprints ????.

Next 10 months are gonna be mighty interesting.

Anyone wanna come out west to wine country next July!? We can have a great time after the race.

-Matt

2016-10-11 8:15 PM
in reply to: #5201580

User image

, Vermont
My sis in law will be doing Vineman I think!
2016-10-12 6:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Well I did something quite silly and signed up for Ironman Vineman next year ??. I have done the sport for 14 months and have completed only two sprints ????. Next 10 months are gonna be mighty interesting. Anyone wanna come out west to wine country next July!? We can have a great time after the race. -Matt

First of all - congratulations on taking the plunge.  Investing the $$ into it is sure motivational.  Next - prepare your offseason...figure out how much down time you're going to need or what limiters you could focus on over the next 6-10 weeks.  I think from Jan 1 gives you like 28 weeks, plenty of time.

Looking forward to hearing about the journey.

2016-10-12 7:24 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Well I did something quite silly and signed up for Ironman Vineman next year ??. I have done the sport for 14 months and have completed only two sprints ????.

Anyone wanna come out west to wine country next July!? We can have a great time after the race.

-Matt

Congrats!...or Condolences! That is awesome, either way. Amazing!!
2016-10-12 7:26 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1500m with masters swim this morning, just enough to get my engine reved, but not enough to make me tired. I have a long day. Today is the last day of my eight week class, which means final exam has to be administered and graded and the final grades need to be calculated and posted. My reward at the end of the day will be a short run, in keeping with HM base training.
2016-10-12 12:26 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

-Matt

Wow, awesome! You have a great crew of people to give you advice here, that is for sure! Excited to hear about your journey!

2016-10-12 2:51 PM

User image

, California

Jenn does your sister in law live out that way or travelling to the race? Has she done it in the past?

Thanks all for the encouragement thus far. This group has shared a lot of experience already and I'm sure that will continue.

I'm currently planning the next few months in my mind. Vineman is on July 29th, and I have a 24 week plan I will be following so that starts on Feb 12. My "Turkey Tri" is on Nov 20, and after a few days off to enjoy Thanksgiving I'll need a plan for roughly 12 weeks before the IM plan begins. I think I will be doing strength training much more often than I have been in an attempt to not break down in the IM buildup. I know despite my best intentions that when I start getting into 9-10 S/B/R workouts per week mixed in with family and work, that strength training is going to be the first thing to get neglected. If I can get a nice strong start (pun intended!) to IM training I think it is a smart move.

So over the next couple weeks I'll be finding some strength routines that I think will work well for me, as well as figuring out an off-season plan for the three sports to maintain most of the fitness I'll have gained by then.

Oh yeah, and then there is the gear....

-Matt
2016-10-13 8:07 AM
in reply to: #5201585

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Early-ish shirt run this morning, followed by my abandonment of strength training for the day. You're right, Matt. ST is the first to go when things get busy.

Yesterday I finished teaching my class for the semester and next semester I'm on sabbatical. So, no teaching for me for the next 44 weeks! I'm going to have to be very disciplined. I have a ton of research work to do, but without the structure of teaching, I often fall off the wagon.
2016-10-14 7:42 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice 2000m swim this morning with the master's team.
2016-10-14 9:20 AM

User image

, Vermont

Jenn does your sister in law live out that way or travelling to the race? Has she done it in the past?

Thanks all for the encouragement thus far. This group has shared a lot of experience already and I'm sure that will continue.

I'm currently planning the next few months in my mind. Vineman is on July 29th, and I have a 24 week plan I will be following so that starts on Feb 12. My "Turkey Tri" is on Nov 20, and after a few days off to enjoy Thanksgiving I'll need a plan for roughly 12 weeks before the IM plan begins. I think I will be doing strength training much more often than I have been in an attempt to not break down in the IM buildup. I know despite my best intentions that when I start getting into 9-10 S/B/R workouts per week mixed in with family and work, that strength training is going to be the first thing to get neglected. If I can get a nice strong start (pun intended!) to IM training I think it is a smart move.

So over the next couple weeks I'll be finding some strength routines that I think will work well for me, as well as figuring out an off-season plan for the three sports to maintain most of the fitness I'll have gained by then.

Oh yeah, and then there is the gear....

-Matt

She lives in Park City. She has not done Vineman before but the other person she's racing with may have, I can ask. I'm still trying to convince her to race Mont Tremblant again but don't think I'll succeed. hahaha

I just finished putting my training plan onto a spreadsheet so I can make notes as I go. I have post-race workouts there for the few weeks after but am still formulating the 3 months leading up to the start. Ack! So exciting! I've had enough of a rest now I'm itching to get back at it when the leg is ready. I am thinking of trying to do Master's swimming in lieu of two of my three swims each week but it will be inconsistent since the Master's is so early - if hubby is traveling I have to be home with the kids until they go to school.

I've been working core strength and some upper body for now. Sporadic squats and leg work as one leg still isn't up to par.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6373 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17515 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.