BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-10-14 10:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open

Originally posted by Tavo2311
Originally posted by aviatrix802 My sis in law will be doing Vineman I think!
Jenn does your sister in law live out that way or travelling to the race? Has she done it in the past? Thanks all for the encouragement thus far. This group has shared a lot of experience already and I'm sure that will continue. I'm currently planning the next few months in my mind. Vineman is on July 29th, and I have a 24 week plan I will be following so that starts on Feb 12. My "Turkey Tri" is on Nov 20, and after a few days off to enjoy Thanksgiving I'll need a plan for roughly 12 weeks before the IM plan begins. I think I will be doing strength training much more often than I have been in an attempt to not break down in the IM buildup. I know despite my best intentions that when I start getting into 9-10 S/B/R workouts per week mixed in with family and work, that strength training is going to be the first thing to get neglected. If I can get a nice strong start (pun intended!) to IM training I think it is a smart move. So over the next couple weeks I'll be finding some strength routines that I think will work well for me, as well as figuring out an off-season plan for the three sports to maintain most of the fitness I'll have gained by then. Oh yeah, and then there is the gear.... -Matt

I recommend taking 2 weeks off of real training before you start your 28 week plan. Don't stop working out but limit your volume do the bare minimum. Training for an IM is such a long and exhaustive process, so you don't want to do any more training than you absolutely need to. You mentioned in another post that you've only been doing this for 14 months and have only done a few events. I don't think this will hinder you if you do the training required. But in my experience, the less experience someone has with training (not necessarily competing) the longer it will take to get back into it. I wouldn't count on doing any other events after IM. And that's not just because you'll be tired and worn out physically, you'll be mentally drained and it'll be hard to want to get back into training again for probably a good 2 months after IM (maybe more). 

For an off season plan, you'll want to start by determining your weakest discipline (in terms of base fitness) and focus your off season plan around that. Then determine your specific weaknesses for every discipline (pedal stroke, gait, swim stroke etc.) and build your other workouts around those. In any case, you don't need to really work on swim fitness at all right now, it comes so quickly that it would be a waste to develop it right now. But DO focus on swim stroke. Better swim stroke is the best way to gain speed an save energy. If you're a strong runner, spend more time doing Z2-3 rides on the bike. If your bike is the strongest, do z2-3-4 runs. Form for every discipline is especially important for IM events. With such long distances, energy loss from bad form is accentuated. 

The two most important things in IM are making the swim cut off time and having a strong bike (and I don't mean fast, but a buttload of endurance). Spend the winter (if you can't ride outside) doing 30min tempo interval rides. Start with 2x30 Z3 with 3min of recovery between at the lowest end of the zone and build up to being able to do 4x30 at the top end of the zone with 3min recovery between each. When you can get outside, do one of two things based on how much time you have to ride. With 3+ hours to ride, do long Z2 rides. With less than 3 hours continue to do tempo work (work up to doing 90mins of mid Z3 without having to recover). 

Think of your bike training as building the gas tank that will fuel your run. The bigger the tank, the better your run will be. You don't need to ever run more than 32km during your training if you're getting enough volume on the bike. 

A good sample of a week might look like this:

Monday: Rest (day off or easy 20min spin/form drills on the bike)

Tuesday: 20min all out run effort. 2x30min Tempo Interval bike

Wednesday: Swim workout (10-15min working on form, pull, kick sets etc.)(30-60min depending where you are in training endurance workout)

Thursday: 40-60min Tempo run (z4

Friday: Rest or Easy long swim in the pool. 

Saturday: 2/3/4x30 or 90min Tempo or long 3+ hour endurance ride (depending where you are along your plan)

Sunday: Long Run 1.5-3.5hour depending where you are along your training (mellow run z2-z3)

If you followed something similar to that with a median weekly hourly volume of 7 hours (max at around 12 hours), you'll be good to go. 

Edited by adempsey10 2016-10-14 10:27 AM

2016-10-14 9:23 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, California
Wow Alan, thanks. A lot of good info there. I definitely need to work on my swim stroke. I know I've developed bad habits teaching myself and the off season will need to be spent undoing them. As for bike and run i feel like in equally bad at each, and my times in the couple sprint Tris and the sprint Dusthlons and Aquathlons Ive done seem to confirm this. So I will think about that one.

-Matt
2016-10-15 9:49 AM
in reply to: #5202002

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Saturday morning means long runs around here. Okay, so the plan only called for 2.75mi, but it was the longest run of the week! No swim practice today due to a kids meet. I love the masters club, but we sure do seem to be at the back of the line in terms of getting access to the pool.

Tonight is our annual bonfire for my graduate students. Currently drizzling and windy. Sure hope that clears up!
2016-10-15 8:39 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

I finally decided a few days ago to just move the bike down into the basement on the trainer. The weather is still great, so it kind of pained me to do so, but I just wasn't getting outside and now at least I can get some time in the saddle after the kids are in bed. I signed up for a Zwift account because it's free for 2 weeks and will give me some time to build up the nerve to do a proper FTP test in TrainerRoad. Alan, your assessment was spot on - the 3D world was kind of neat for the first 10 minutes or so, but lost it's novelty fast. I could see it working well if you had a group of friends that you connected with, but solo it's kind of meh.

On a related note, I've got a trainer question for you all. I have an old CycleOps Magneto, which admittedly is not the best trainer ever. However, over the past few years I've noticed that when I tighten the flywheel according to the instructions and have my tire fully inflated, it's sooooo much harder than what I would expect. To maintain the same cadence and RPE as outside I have to drop a lot of gears. Is that normal for trainers, a function of my specific model, or am I doing something wrong?

2016-10-16 12:14 PM
in reply to: #5202011

User image

, California
Sorry Dennis no experience with trainers yet for me.

This weekend was my long run of 1h20m yesterday and a 1h45m ride today. Third straight 6-workout week. Consistency is definitely back!

How's everyone's weekend?

-Matt
2016-10-17 9:20 AM
in reply to: #5202049

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short run this morning after sleeping in past master swim practice. I was beat, apparently, I never miss practice! Oh well--off season! I ran into my neighbor and finally got a chance to ask them to trim the tree that overhangs the road and hits me on the head when I run under it! If they actually get to it, I'll be able to run down the street without obstacles!! Not to mention that it won't hit my truck anymore either!

2016-10-17 10:56 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

On a related note, I've got a trainer question for you all. I have an old CycleOps Magneto, which admittedly is not the best trainer ever. However, over the past few years I've noticed that when I tighten the flywheel according to the instructions and have my tire fully inflated, it's sooooo much harder than what I would expect. To maintain the same cadence and RPE as outside I have to drop a lot of gears. Is that normal for trainers, a function of my specific model, or am I doing something wrong?

Probably a little bit of everything - your specific trainer may have a pretty steep power curve, so it might "feel" harder than outside while others might be the opposite.  Speed on a trainer is completely meaningless because of this (though oddly my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is pretty close speed/power-wise across most of the power ranges).  If it's giving you fits mentally, just ease up on the tension a little but I wouldn't worry about it if you're still getting in your efforts.  Are you using virtual power with it?

2016-10-17 11:01 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

I'd say it's fairly normal that your trainer doesn't match up with what you'd expect. Some trainers feel easier is big gears and other feel hard in small gears. Mine is like yours, I usually don't use my big ring on the trainer because it's so much harder. 

2016-10-17 11:18 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Just transitioned over to my off-season work, lots of yoga and strength training and sprinkling in some SBR work so I remember how to do it.  I was doing a pretty good (for me) build up of swim volume but had a setback from a neck injury so I had to take a week off.  Took my power meter outdoors for a spin today (it's 80* here today ) - great, one more thing to pay attention to while riding LOL.

I'm planning my schedule for next year assuming my body holds together (always a big assumption).  Looking at an Oly in June and a couple of sprints during the summer.  My training plan starts mid-December (24 week), which gives me enough time to go through a full Daniels run training plan plus it accommodates for the expected injury and time setbacks.  I do a lot of yoga and strength training up until about 4-6 weeks out from my races, so that will still be ongoing.

If anyone is interested, "The Plan" looks something like this:

Monday:  6 AM Bikram Yoga, optional afternoon bike (easy spin)

Tuesday:  morning quality run, lower body ST and core work, cool down swim

Wednesday:  morning 60' bike (intervals - either SS, threshold, or VO2 max), evening swim (long....like 3500)

Thursday:  6 AM Bikram Yoga, EZ lunch jog (short)

Friday:  endurance ride 90-120' Z2 or SS intervals

Saturday:  long run, short swim

Sunday:  OFF or makeup or hiking

3 weeks on, then a recover week with like 1/2 the above.  I followed something similar a couple of years ago (albeit with more running) and had some success).  Once I get 12 weeks out I'll eliminate the Monday bikram session and add another bike/run combination workout.

2016-10-18 7:53 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike--that looks like a good plan!

2550 yds in the pool this morning with Masters. We did lots of hard/ez alternating sets, which always winds me.
2016-10-18 8:41 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Mike--that looks like a good plan!

2550 yds in the pool this morning with Masters. We did lots of hard/ez alternating sets, which always winds me.

Great job, Gretchen! I'm hoping to get going with Master's soon when the leg is good. It sounds like you are getting some seriously great workouts!

2016-10-18 8:43 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
It's looking like I may have my sis-in-law talked into coming back to MT next summer instead of her doing Vineman! Yea!!!
I may attempt a brisk open water swim on Friday here...so long as there isn't a layer of ice on top of the water.

Her friend that did Vineman said it has nice easy rolling hills on the bike.
2016-10-18 8:53 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Sorry Dennis no experience with trainers yet for me.

This weekend was my long run of 1h20m yesterday and a 1h45m ride today. Third straight 6-workout week. Consistency is definitely back!

How's everyone's weekend?

-Matt

Nice work!!
2016-10-18 8:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I have definitely gotten out of my workout routine a bit. I have swam a few times, but still haven't made it to a masters practice. I ran a couple times, but not for long. I'm walking to and from work and have been cooking most of my meals, so i've lost a few pounds and am feeling good that way. I just need to get back out on the road at least and run a bit. I continue doing some strength and HIIT workouts here and there. I'm determined to not let my fitness go all downhill this fall/winter.
2016-10-18 1:30 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I just moved a couch into my office at work. I foresee some serious post-swim recovery naps on that thing. :D
2016-10-18 3:28 PM
in reply to: #5202107

User image

, Vermont
Niiiiice. Well planned.

2016-10-18 3:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I just moved a couch into my office at work. I foresee some serious post-swim recovery naps on that thing. :D

GREAT plan.  I work out of the house and I can occasionally catch a few catnaps when I'm really cooked.

2016-10-18 11:20 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

New user
Madrid

Well I did something quite silly and signed up for Ironman Vineman next year ??. I have done the sport for 14 months and have completed only two sprints ????.

-Matt

Fantastic! What day is the race? I will be training for IM Austria, July 2nd, so will race more or less same time - great to stay motivated!

10K run this morning around city creek canyon in Salt Lake City (here for work), need to get in the pool some day!

Juan
2016-10-19 9:27 AM
in reply to: #5202321

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Looks like I might be out for a few days. I think I picked up a stomach bug somewhere. Ugh.
2016-10-19 11:36 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Looks like I might be out for a few days. I think I picked up a stomach bug somewhere. Ugh.

Feel better!
2016-10-19 11:38 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by drfoodlove Looks like I might be out for a few days. I think I picked up a stomach bug somewhere. Ugh.
Feel better! [/QUOTE]

X2 - but it look at it this way, it's a GREAT way to start a weight loss plan LOL. 

I think there's a saying "I'm only one stomach bug away from my goal race weight"

2016-10-19 11:42 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went on a short two mile run this morning. Felt okay, but my big toe on my right foot has been bothering me (I tweaked it at vball the other night), and I was feeling it on the big hill at the park. It's been bothering me on my walks to work too...and really my walks everywhere. Not much you can do for a toe though.

I also signed up for a turkey trot in my hometown today, so I have a little encouragement to train over the next month or so. I've also been told about this Celtic Solstice 5 mile race in December, but for some reason my computer won't open the link for me to be able to determine whether I'm interested or not. I know they have nice jackets as part of the race packet!
2016-10-19 2:09 PM
in reply to: #5202402

User image

, California
Nice jackets are a plus Nicole!

Juan, the race date is July 29. It is no longer Ironman Vineman though. They just sent an email today that it being moved about ten miles away and is now Ironman Santa Rosa. Oh well, won't have the benefit of 27 year's worth of course recon and race reviews to assist now! Oh and time to start researching different accommodations.

-Matt
2016-10-19 3:13 PM

User image

, Vermont

Oh yuck. It's certainly that time of year! Feel better!! So sorry you've got it!
2016-10-19 3:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Have to throw a few pics in here for the foliage we had. It was particularly amazing this year.
While I may enjoy a fruity beer here and there, I'm typically not a fan....except for Blueberry beer from the Atlantic Brewing Company. Yum! The amazing bonus....while my folks were there they picked up an Atlantic Brewing Co cycling jersey for me! How cool are they?! Thanks, M & D!!

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-10-19 3:19 PM

(fall foliage.jpg)

(road from Indian Brook.jpg)

(Blueberry beer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fall foliage.jpg (60KB - 3 downloads)
road from Indian Brook.jpg (43KB - 3 downloads)
Blueberry beer.jpg (41KB - 4 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6386 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17552 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.