BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-12-04 11:14 AM
in reply to: #5205798

User image

, California
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Nicole, very sorry to hear that. Hope you're doing ok. Great attitude to look at the bright side of things!!

Gretchen,
I would like the group to continue for 2017. Never too early to think about it, it gonna be on top of us before we know it!

Stood on the beach in 47 degree weather yesterday morning. Feet were painfully going numb in the cold sand before we jumped into 61 degree water. Pleasantly surprised how well I handled it. 61 might not sound awful to most but I am notoriously a wuss with cold weather/water. Was a good start to the weekend and a good first exercise back from two weeks off after my race.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

-Matt

2016-12-04 11:15 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by nicole14e

My boyfriend and I broke up last night I'm sad but resilient.

Silver lining (b/c I'm a silver lining kind of lady), I have been skipping the gym to sleep in with him in the mornings, and now I won't have that temptation and it will be easier to get back into a routine!

Sorry to hear that but hope it is for a good reason - now, now excuse for the gym!
Tomorrow is my "OTB date" as I start a 30-w plan for my first full IM. I hope this groups stays here, I know all of you now and need your support not to get burned out much earlier the day of the race.
Looking forward to a great season!
Juan
2016-12-04 1:02 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

My boyfriend and I broke up last night I'm sad but resilient.

Silver lining (b/c I'm a silver lining kind of lady), I have been skipping the gym to sleep in with him in the mornings, and now I won't have that temptation and it will be easier to get back into a routine!

Nicole--sorry to hear. Way to look at the bright side, though!
2016-12-04 1:05 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Yesterday's long run got delayed until today for a couple of different reasons. I really wanted to get it done yesterday, but it just didn't happen. I really wished it would have happened this morning too--38F and raining this morning. Ugh. Five miles in thouh and I came to a new realization while doing tose five miles. There is a fine line between bada** and dumba**. I think i crossed that line this morning!
2016-12-05 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Yesterday's long run got delayed until today for a couple of different reasons. I really wanted to get it done yesterday, but it just didn't happen. I really wished it would have happened this morning too--38F and raining this morning. Ugh. Five miles in thouh and I came to a new realization while doing tose five miles. There is a fine line between bada** and dumba**. I think i crossed that line this morning!

That's funny.  I remember a couple of years ago I went for a run around my neighborhood during one of those "Polar Vortex" things that happened back then.  There was ice everywhere and it was about 15*F  with a breeze.  As I was running I was thinking to myself "WTF is the matter with you????!!!". 

2016-12-05 7:49 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Bummer about your relationship, Nicole.  Hope all works out for you.

2016-12-05 7:51 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Juancho
Originally posted by nicole14e My boyfriend and I broke up last night I'm sad but resilient. Silver lining (b/c I'm a silver lining kind of lady), I have been skipping the gym to sleep in with him in the mornings, and now I won't have that temptation and it will be easier to get back into a routine!
Sorry to hear that but hope it is for a good reason - now, now excuse for the gym! Tomorrow is my "OTB date" as I start a 30-w plan for my first full IM. I hope this groups stays here, I know all of you now and need your support not to get burned out much earlier the day of the race. Looking forward to a great season! Juan

Congratulations and good luck.  We'll be here one way or another.  I forget - which IM?

2016-12-05 7:51 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Nicole, very sorry to hear that. Hope you're doing ok. Great attitude to look at the bright side of things!! Gretchen, I would like the group to continue for 2017. Never too early to think about it, it gonna be on top of us before we know it! Stood on the beach in 47 degree weather yesterday morning. Feet were painfully going numb in the cold sand before we jumped into 61 degree water. Pleasantly surprised how well I handled it. 61 might not sound awful to most but I am notoriously a wuss with cold weather/water. Was a good start to the weekend and a good first exercise back from two weeks off after my race. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. -Matt

Yes it does. 

2016-12-05 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Speaking of injuries, I inflamed by back again in yoga about 10 days ago - was absolutely miserable on my Cancun trip (though it was still awesome, we got upgraded to the presidential suite at the JW Marriott!!!) and I finally broke down and begged my back doc for prednisone.  It's getting better now, but I'm about sick of this and am seriously contemplating going under the knife.  We'll see how the next two weeks goes - I had planned about a month of down time anyway but I meant it to be because I wanted to, not because I HAD to. 

Ugh...bummer.
Super bummer! And doing yoga you'd think would help! Presidential Suite sounds amazing though!

I know...right???

Prednisone has taken the edge off so back at it gently with a "new normal" again.  Got in a swim on Saturday and a short trainer ride this morning.  I feel like a slug.

2016-12-05 8:04 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove Yesterday's long run got delayed until today for a couple of different reasons. I really wanted to get it done yesterday, but it just didn't happen. I really wished it would have happened this morning too--38F and raining this morning. Ugh. Five miles in thouh and I came to a new realization while doing tose five miles. There is a fine line between bada** and dumba**. I think i crossed that line this morning!

That's funny.  I remember a couple of years ago I went for a run around my neighborhood during one of those "Polar Vortex" things that happened back then.  There was ice everywhere and it was about 15*F  with a breeze.  As I was running I was thinking to myself "WTF is the matter with you????!!!". 

Nope...ice is where I draw the line! I'm clumsy enough, I don't need any added obstacles to staying upright!
2016-12-05 8:06 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Complete torture session this morning in the pool. I just couldn't seem to get my arms, legs, and lungs to work at the same time. Mondays are always rough in the pool, but usually things work themselves out by the end of the first set. Not today--today was a suckfest the entire time. Ended up getting out after 2100m and the only reason I stuck it out that long was the goal of 300K.

2016-12-06 7:47 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hit the gym this morning for lifting session #3. Run scheduled for later this afternoon. Hoping the rain goes away by then, or I'm in for another cold, miserable workout.
2016-12-06 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hit the gym this morning for lifting session #3. Run scheduled for later this afternoon. Hoping the rain goes away by then, or I'm in for another cold, miserable workout.

For the record, I HATE winter.

2016-12-06 8:50 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hit the gym this morning for lifting session #3. Run scheduled for later this afternoon. Hoping the rain goes away by then, or I'm in for another cold, miserable workout.

I do as well. I know I have said this before, but Gretchen I admire your dedication. A little rain in the SUMMER is enough to keep me inside. Winter? No freaking way.
2016-12-06 8:58 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Back into the swing of things, although I am in zombie mode today. I had volleyball at 9:30 last night, so I didn't get home (and was still totally wired) until 11:30 or so after dropping all my friends off. Woke up at 5:15 for BodyPump to get a strength workout in. Great workout, but my eyes are heavy now. This might be a day where I take advantage of having my own office, perhaps take a little lunchtime siesta.

My exercise plan for this week:
Wednesday: Boot Camp (class at the gym)
Thursday: Soul Body Power and Soul Body Barre (classes at the gym)
Friday: November Project (mostly running) or rest day
Saturday: Masters Practice

I also have a Pho eating competition Thursday evening (yeah that's right!), which should be a fun night but will not help me wake up Friday morning.

Parking at my gym is horrendous b/c of the pool/parking garage construction, so I've considered running the mile to and from. Again, I hate the cold, so we will see how long that lasts.
2016-12-06 1:00 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Are there people who don't?

2016-12-06 2:47 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Are there people who don't?

There are. Weirdos, that bunch. I know a few, and am always suspicious of them...
2016-12-06 4:14 PM
in reply to: #5206785

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Run done. Not raining, but chilly (40F) and windy as heck.

Can someone explain why, if I do an out and back, I can gain more elevation than I lose?!? Is the hill my house sits on really growing? I have always said I think it gets bigger between the start of the run and the end..lol. No, seriously, if it were only 1-2', no big deal. Satellite triangulation. But we are talking about 20-30' on every run (same three routes mostly). What gives?
2016-12-07 8:03 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning masters swim. Coach is apparently really into distance lately. We did two 500s and a bunch of 100s (not quite distance, I know). I don't think we've done any 50s sets for weeks! I kinda miss them.

Run scheduled for later this afternoon. It looks to be a beautiful day, if a bit chilly. Doesn't matter--I need some Vitamin D!
2016-12-08 4:48 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

Originally posted by Juancho
Originally posted by nicole14e My boyfriend and I broke up last night I'm sad but resilient. Silver lining (b/c I'm a silver lining kind of lady), I have been skipping the gym to sleep in with him in the mornings, and now I won't have that temptation and it will be easier to get back into a routine!
Sorry to hear that but hope it is for a good reason - now, now excuse for the gym! Tomorrow is my "OTB date" as I start a 30-w plan for my first full IM. I hope this groups stays here, I know all of you now and need your support not to get burned out much earlier the day of the race. Looking forward to a great season! Juan

Congratulations and good luck.  We'll be here one way or another.  I forget - which IM?

Klagenfurt, Austria - Hope your corticoids do you well!

Juan
2016-12-08 4:51 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

Morning masters swim. Coach is apparently really into distance lately. We did two 500s and a bunch of 100s (not quite distance, I know). I don't think we've done any 50s sets for weeks! I kinda miss them.

Run scheduled for later this afternoon. It looks to be a beautiful day, if a bit chilly. Doesn't matter--I need some Vitamin D!

Will start accounting my sessions as you do, hope it helps!
Yesterday 2500m swim with 30 min run right after. Today 45 min bike and a beautfiul, sunny day (and holiday)

Juan

2016-12-08 7:04 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Week two of December's strength training is in the books. Next week starts the real work though. Just to get started and used to the routine I've been doing only one set (as per the instructions on this plan). Next week starts two sets.

Another short run scheduled for later this afternoon. Winter has finally arrived here. The high is forecast as 22. That's cold, but it is supposed to be sunny again. Honestly, as long as it is sunny, I think I could handle any temperature. I hate the cold and gloomy days.

What does everyone have on tap for the weekend? Anyone racing? Big plans? Nothing here, although I guess at some point I should do my Christmas shopping.
2016-12-08 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Week two of December's strength training is in the books. Next week starts the real work though. Just to get started and used to the routine I've been doing only one set (as per the instructions on this plan). Next week starts two sets. Another short run scheduled for later this afternoon. Winter has finally arrived here. The high is forecast as 22. That's cold, but it is supposed to be sunny again. Honestly, as long as it is sunny, I think I could handle any temperature. I hate the cold and gloomy days. What does everyone have on tap for the weekend? Anyone racing? Big plans? Nothing here, although I guess at some point I should do my Christmas shopping.

I will be driving 75 minutes each way to Fairfax VA both days for a swim meet.  it's a good one, though, so it's always fun watching the really fast kids.  My daughter is trying to qualify for States in the 50 free - think fast thoughts this weekend!

2016-12-08 9:42 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I am going to Masters practice Saturday morning, then picking up my packet for the 5 mile race I have next week. After that, I will head to the Army/Navy game at Ravens Stadium! Busy Saturday, but the rest of the weekend is pretty low key. Just a work holiday party tomorrow night.
2016-12-09 12:19 AM
in reply to: #5206987

User image

, California
Good luck to your daughter Mike!

Nicole who will you be rooting for? I'm a Marine so it's gotta be GoNavyBeatArmy! I've been to one of those games, way back in about 1992 I believe. Jealous, enjoy!!

35 minutes of Rodney Yee Yoga for Athletes DVD yesterday. And today was a 50 minute trainer ride. My first ride ever on a trainer that I just got on Black Friday. It's gonna be nice to mix in some family duty with training.

-Matt
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6321 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17376 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.