BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-12-16 7:01 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open

Thought BT was done.  Down for about 24 hours or so.  Whew!!!

2016-12-16 7:43 AM
in reply to: #5207594

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
^^ me too!!

Already starting the mourning process over four years of lost workout data. Glad it's back!!
2016-12-16 11:23 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Seven miles on the gym track this morning. Not as boring as the treadmill, but just about. I didn't think my 920 did a great job with the distance (no foot pod). I counted laps and ran a full 7 miles. The 920 only recorded 6.13miles, which is a big difference if you ask me. It is weird though, I walked the first two laps as a warmup and it recorded those as 0.28mi total, which is pretty close to the real distance (0.29mi). It is almost like it based the whole workout on those first two laps, because after that it was off until the last two laps, which I also walked. It recorded those correctly. Glad I counted, cause I wouldn't want to run another 0.87mi today!

Anyone have big plans for the weekend? We have our swim club Christmas party tonight and then tomorrow at swim practice we are doing underwater video assessment. I don't like watching myself swim when Coach tapes us from the deck. I can only imagine how bad it is going to be from underwater!! He told me on Wednesday that my arms are too short for my body and that affects my swimming. Genetics...it will get you every time!
2016-12-17 6:58 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Genetics...it will get you every time!

hahaha not much to do with genetics, although this new CRISPR technology may copy/edit our genes and mimic Frodeno!

Yesterday 2500m swim followed by 30 min run, today 90min spinning with crazy electronic music (....I am getting old!)

Enjoy the weeked - Juan
2016-12-17 6:59 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Yes Juan, I consider myself extremely lucky to have landed where I did. 25-30 people to swim in December!? Over 100 during summers I hear. Really is a great community.

-Matt

Matt, whereabouts is this? Sounds like paradise...

Juan
2016-12-17 7:03 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

!

Lots of driving and lots of sitting watching kids swim (daughter got 6 PRs out of 7 races, so a pretty good weekend though she wanted to crack a minute in the 100 free and had to settle for just over 1:01). 

And I just started my Christmas shopping LOL.

Congrats on your daughter!!

2016-12-17 10:02 AM
in reply to: #5207601

User image

, California
Juan - this is the South Bay in LA. The swims are held at Redondo Beach and organized by Bryan Mineo who is a very knowledgeable swim coach (aka The Swim Mechanic) and seems like an even better guy. It's really a great group of folks. Many are clients of his privately but this Saturday morning swim is simply his way of helping the community, open to the public. People rotate biringing coffee and snacks and it's a fun way to end the swim having a cup and talking with others.

If anyone is ever in LA over a weekend let me know and we will go swim Saturday morning.

-Matt
2016-12-17 1:56 PM
in reply to: #5207659

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Late morning swim practice with masters. We were at the pool for three hours, I swam 2000yds. The ratio is very off. Today was underwater video day, so a lot of standing around watching folks swim in slow mo on the video monitor. I feel like i have no idea what I'm doing after watching the good swimmers swim. Also, I clearly have no body awareness at all, as I would swear I'm doing all the things coach tells me, but then I watch the video and I'm clearly not!
2016-12-18 10:22 AM
in reply to: #5207664

User image

, California
Gretchen I hear that's the thing with most people after seeing themselves on video. Don't feel bad. I'm dreading swimming in front of real swimmers and seeing how bad I really am on video!

45 min run for me this morning. Just about to head out the door. Then it's church with the family and the highlight of the day- bringing kids to Star Wars!

Matt
2016-12-19 8:13 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice 2500yd swim at Masters this morning. We were crammed into two lanes (we normally have 3-4), so I was with some *much* faster swimmers. I used fins to keep up the whole workout. Now my legs are jetted and I still have a 3mi run planned for this afternoon. Guess I will have to see how much "recovery" I get in sitting at my desk all day. Typically this run is on Tuesday, but I'm trying to move all my runs forward a day so I won't have to do eight miles on Saturday. My MIL will pitch a b!tch if I want to leave the house for that long on Christmas Eve and sometimes it just isn't worth the fight if I can't arrange it otherwise.

Tonight is our annual Christmas dinner with my folks in which we meet up at a restaurant half way between our houses and have dinner and exchange gifts. I'm looking forward to it. This year, I actually had a good idea to give them as a gift (they are impossible to shop for and don't want/need anything). In the spring they are getting new bikes and ride a lot during the spring, summer, and fall. So, I got them a bunch of different accessories for their new bikes--bottles, cages, flat repair kits, CO2 nozzle and cartridges, etc. It was fun to buy them all the little things I know they don't know to get or have. I also had copies of our family photos from Thanksgiving mounted in nice frames, but I'm way more excited about the bike stuff!

What does everyone have on tap for the last week before Christmas?!?
2016-12-19 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Gretchen I hear that's the thing with most people after seeing themselves on video. Don't feel bad. I'm dreading swimming in front of real swimmers and seeing how bad I really am on video! 45 min run for me this morning. Just about to head out the door. Then it's church with the family and the highlight of the day- bringing kids to Star Wars! Matt

Saw it Saturday morning with my daughter - I really liked it.  Really dark - but then I guess the whole series really is minus #'s 1 and 6.

2016-12-19 9:35 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey all,

I have been off the grid a bit lately. Tried to check in a couple times last week but BT was down, so I gave up.

I have not been so great on getting my routine going. My room is SO COLD (the heat doesn't really reach my room, which is the furthest place from the furnace), so getting out of bed can be tough. I have also been reading more, so I am still waking up early and will just lay there and read. The other combo of things holding me back is the weather + parking at my gym. I've considered biking b/c it's only a mile, but it's been SO COLD. When I drive, I end up parking so far anyway. I am purchasing warm clothes that will hopefully help me bike more in the cold without totally regretting it. I also think I will be working out at home more often.

I've listed a lot of excuses, and am trying to focus on the solutions to these issues. I will get back to you when I come up with something, haha.

Oh also, I was supposed to do a 5 mile run on Saturday with some friends, but we had an ice/wintry mix storm and no one felt safe driving there. I still got a sweet jacket, but am pretty bummed I didn't get to enjoy the mulled wine and soup at the end. Apparently some of the course was icy too so they modified to a 2 or 4 mile race (had a 2 mile loop, you had the option to do it once or twice).

2016-12-19 4:40 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Christmas came early for me - went to the beer store and they had RACER 5 IPA!!!! YAY!!! 

Hope you enjoyed it!

Sunday was my last event of the year, half-marathon #8! One last race report to end a full year of running. As usual, I celebrated with a Racer 5 IPA when I  got home from the event after a 2.5 hour drive. 

Having a HM almost each month meant staying at a HM fitness level year round. It was nice not needing to "train up" before a race however making sure to get in a long run (nearly) every week limited my activity options. For 2017 I don't plan on signing up for as many events but I will keep running! I just may do a bit more hiking, paddle boarding, surfing, biking, etc. instead of feeling obligated to a long run every weekend.

My activity in this mentor group has also been sporadic as the year came to a close. It's been great seeing everyone's progress, races, training, and successes over the year. If the group continues into 2017 I will be here as best I can, giving support and posting about delicious beer. I just might not be posting as many race reports.

2016-12-19 11:19 PM
in reply to: #5207682

User image

, California
Nicole don't feel bad, we've all been there (at least I know I have). A piece of advice someone gave me was just don't let it get too far away from you. Each day is a new chance to get a run in, a gym visit, anything. We can get into such a rut that we think "I'm too far gone from my peak, what's one more day?" And that's how we really fall out of the good routines.

Mike congrats on #8. Remarkable!

Week before Christmas for me means STARTING my Christmas shopping. And getting the family ready to visit home in NJ for Christmas. Not ready for the cold!!!

On the workout front today was 20 mins strength and 15 minutes yoga. Just packed my swim bag for a 1650 planned swim tomorrow.

-Matt
2016-12-20 5:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning everyone! I got in a lunch 45 bike ride on the trainer and then swam with the kids' swim team (well...in the same pool anyway LOL) late afternoon. Headed to the gym this morning for a spin and some strength training, and then a chiro visit this afternoon.

@Mark - good lord eight HMs??? Just curious - what's your total run mileage this year?

@Nicole - Suck. It. Up. Butter. Cup. :-) Just kidding - been there. When I originally hurt my back I was almost totally sedentary for three months. I just looked though my logs yesterday from back then and I just started slow and tried to be consistent (I think I had a 400 yard swim workout my first week back). The nice thing about consistently training over a long period of time is that it takes a LONG time to fully lose that fitness. I know it doesn't feel that way, but probably just 3-4 good days will get you back feeling yourself again.

@Matt - you mean I'm not the only one who starts their Christmas shopping this week? :-/

Edited for formatting...

Edited by jmhpsu93 2016-12-20 5:13 AM
2016-12-20 7:36 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Nicole don't feel bad, we've all been there (at least I know I have). A piece of advice someone gave me was just don't let it get too far away from you. Each day is a new chance to get a run in, a gym visit, anything. We can get into such a rut that we think "I'm too far gone from my peak, what's one more day?" And that's how we really fall out of the good routines.

Mike congrats on #8. Remarkable!

Week before Christmas for me means STARTING my Christmas shopping. And getting the family ready to visit home in NJ for Christmas. Not ready for the cold!!!

On the workout front today was 20 mins strength and 15 minutes yoga. Just packed my swim bag for a 1650 planned swim tomorrow.

-Matt

STARTING?!?!?!

My dad does this--yesterday he texted me about getting my mom an ipad for Christmas. Great idea, but Dad is a total technology Luddite and he needs A LOT of help to pull this off. Guess I'm not quite done shopping, although at least I'm done spending money!

2016-12-20 7:39 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole--Mike and Matt are right. Don't beat yourself up and you will bounce back faster than you think. Small streaks work wonders for me, so I challenge you to do one thing/workout every day until Christmas. At least 20 minutes of anything you want, but every day for the next five days, so something!
2016-12-20 7:42 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning strength session--I'm loving lifting again!! Of course, I always love lifting, I just always drop it when things get busy too.

Heading home at noonish to run with the pup in the *warm* 37F. Yes, that is the new warm, given the temps we've had lately it will feel positively tropical. Then, later in the afternoon we are FINALLY having the window in our bathroom replaced. It was my wife's one request for 2016 and I'm just barely squeezing it in. Partially my fault, partially the fact that I couldn't find a single contractor around here willing to take a one window job.
2016-12-20 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Gretchen - saw your post in the mentor thread.  I'm in next year for here.  We're all kind of co-mentors here, so that seems to work out pretty well.

2016-12-20 1:17 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Nicole--Mike and Matt are right. Don't beat yourself up and you will bounce back faster than you think. Small streaks work wonders for me, so I challenge you to do one thing/workout every day until Christmas. At least 20 minutes of anything you want, but every day for the next five days, so something!

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I did a 20 minute HIIT workout this morning! I didn't get too dizzy, which is good, and definitely got my heart rate up. I'm going to focus on doing stuff mostly at my house because then it limits my excuses

Thanks for the support! Stay warm!
2016-12-20 2:35 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

@Mark - good lord eight HMs??? Just curious - what's your total run mileage this year?

My weekly regime is two 3 mile runs during the week (sometimes a 4 mile run if I'm feeling good) on my lunch break and a long run (8-12 miles) on the weekend. Today's 3 mile run just pushed me over 650 miles for the year so far:

* Run:110h 37m 45s - 650.37 M

2016-12-20 3:21 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

New user
Madrid
Mark - never considered the total yearly mileage but 650m sounds impressive, will track it for this new coming year.

This is my 3rd week of a 30 week plan - after a day off (yesterday), I did 45 min spinning plus 15 min run and already scared that my legs feel so tired in these early base-building first 10 weeks. Sometimes I think I jumped to full IM and will not be able to do the proper training, guess is a normal feeling.. still 27 weeks to catch up!

Juan
2016-12-20 4:47 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Juan,

I track my workouts here on BT's Training Log. On the right column there is a way to look at monthly/yearly totals.

2016-12-21 7:37 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by MOlsen

Juan,

I track my workouts here on BT's Training Log. On the right column there is a way to look at monthly/yearly totals.

Me, too.  I have pretty much every workout I've doing going back over 6 years. 

2016-12-21 11:07 AM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, California
Juan - hang in there - "Trust the Process." The jump to IM will be a big one but if it were easy everyone would do it!

-Matt
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6372 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17514 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.