BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-02-01 1:50 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Hi everyone,

Checking back in. Things got crazy in January, and with limited mobility I wasn't motivated enough to check in. I've got to admit that it's hard reading these posts too. I'd give anything to be swimming and running right now.

With that said, I need to stay on track and start forward momentum, even if it's not at the pace or activity level I'd prefer it to be.

My vote for monthly challenge would be number of workouts per month, just because it's the only thing I can do. Core challenge is probably not an option. And as much as I want to lose weight, I've promised myself I won't push that or hold myself to it while on steroids, it feels like I'm just setting myself up for disappointment and failure. I want to do more, but I'm going to focus on forward momentum and holding myself accountable to that, as well as staying active within the group.

Goals for the week/month

1) Check in a minimum of 4 times a week/16 times this month.
2) Log all activity in my BT training log.
3) Forward movement of at least 20 miles per week/75 miles this month. This may have to be walking, but my hope is to begin the C25K within the next two weeks.

Sandi

2016-02-01 2:20 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hang in there Sandi!! I agree about trying to lose weight on steroids, totally setting yourself up for disappointment. Every time I've had to do them (mostly for terrible cases of never ending poison ivy) I am hungry ALL THE TIME.
2016-02-01 2:30 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
This morning I was on the trainer suffering through power intervals and berating myself for not hitting 50 workouts last month. I did 47 workouts in January. I was honestly talking down to myself that I didn't get my act in gear and do three more to hit a nice, round 50. Ummm...hello OCD, you haven't reared your ugly head in a while. Of course, I spiraled from there to 50 workouts a month means 600 in 2016. Ummm...hello crazy. So, first, there was the knock on the head for being stupid about the 47 vs 50 workouts. I mean seriously, why can't I just be proud of myself for doing 47 workouts in a month?!?!?!?! Second step was the realization that I will continue to do this all year long in an effort to beat my 2015 self (413 workouts). I have that type A personality, including the competitiveness (but, mostly with myself only, so that is something at least).

After thinking long and hard, I decided that I really need to follow a training plan, not what I have been doing, which is Hal Higdon's 10k plan (intermediate) plus 3 bikes and 3 swims, plus yoga. Or, in other words, whatever I want, no matter how insane. I picked the 16 week balanced Oly-2x for now (subject to revision once my Egypt trip plans are settled). This is 6 work outs a week base plan for me. It should give me time to add in yoga, strength, and maybe one more run a week, since I am trying to improve my run.

Feb Goals:
1.) FOLLOW THE PLAN
1a.) don't be crazy
1b.) avoid overuse injury
2.) Yoga 3x week
3.) knuckle down on nutrition
2016-02-01 7:35 PM
in reply to: #5158366

Hello!

NAME: Chris

STORY: Well, its been up and down for a while now. I get into a good phase for a while then get stuck in a rut. About Two years ago I thought about doing a tri and started training for it but then we had another baby and, well, so much for that. So, here I am again, back into my "vision"!

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married for 12 years to an awesome wife and we have 3 amazing kids!

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing some cardio, biking and some weight training, but am looking for a training schedule to follow...I dont do well with just " shootin from the hip" so to say.
Anyone have any ideas???

2015 RACES: none

The Plan for 2016: I would like to get at least one planned, but two would be great!

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Hmm, depends on the occasion...drinking for a while, Coors Light. Drinking socially....deffinately IPA!

WEIGHT LOSS: Hope to lose about 15 lbs and get back the muscle mass and tone I once had 25 years ago.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I hope to contribute any knowledge to the group that I have learned along the way and help others who need that extra push when the going gets tough.
2016-02-01 8:49 PM
in reply to: Sutton.chris86

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
It's been good reading all the posts. Lots of good workouts and support around here.

February goals:
hit my 3 runs per week.
I'm in for core challenge, but will be doing it on off days that I do not run. baby steps
Continue to eat healthy and lose weight.
Play hockey and have fun.

Next weeks goal 2/1:
hit my 3 runs
do my core on non run days
eat healthy and lose weight

2016-02-01 9:09 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
Well my afternoon run today was postponed.....I guess something I ate didn't agree with me.....so I got laundry and dishes done and cleaned some more of the house. Will do my 10 min of core before heading to bed tonight....

As for the brags....I want to thank everyone in here in being an inspiration. Reading all of your posts from those that kill it out there to those that have set backs that aren't taking no for an answer....it all helps. Being new into this it brings a refreshing take on things. I am on that I sometimes compare myself to others too much and can sometimes get down on myself because I am not going the fastest or the longest.....one thing that I am learning and working on is even though there are a lot of others around you....at this point in the game....I'm running my own race.

So again...thanks to all of y'all

2016-02-01 9:27 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by Hook'em

For those adding core work, here's a great article:  Hard Core - Exercises to Strengthen Your Abs For Better Performance

I did 15 minutes of core work this evening.  This is going to be a tough challenge.

3600 yard swim at Noon and postponed this evening's trainer session until tomorrow morning.

2016-02-01 9:29 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hook'em

For those adding core work, here's a great article:  Hard Core - Exercises to Strengthen Your Abs For Better Performance

I did 15 minutes of core work this evening.  This is going to be a tough challenge.

3600 yard swim at Noon and postponed this evening's trainer session until tomorrow morning.

2016-02-01 10:27 PM
in reply to: #5164773

User image

, California
I forgot about day 1 of the core challenge but I did 40 minutes of Yoga. I'm sure there was 10 minutes of core benefit in there!
2016-02-02 7:30 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 I forgot about day 1 of the core challenge but I did 40 minutes of Yoga. I'm sure there was 10 minutes of core benefit in there!

Yoga 100% counts in the core challenge.  :-)

2016-02-02 8:08 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Worked in a yoga session last night, which busted my core. Really, really felt it afterwards, which is good! This morning I hit the road with a planned 3 mile run (#50), but had to cut it a little short because it started POURING on the dog and I. She really, really hates running in the rain (I love it), and this was a hard, cold rain, so we trimmed off the cool down walk we usually do. I can really feel that now. Plan to have a swim later at lunch time.

2016-02-02 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Let's see, a bunch to catch up on:

• +1 on Gretchen getting over 40 workouts in, and then not being complacent by wanting to get 50
  • I got in 32 SBR workouts plus a bunch of strength - almost feeling like I'm training now vs. just "working out" if you know what I mean
  • My goals this week/month are to increase the frequency and intensity of my workouts and LOG ALL THE DETAILS - I find I'm much better at this gig if I immerse myself in the data
  • Let's nail this core challenge  - I promise you will be better for it!  (yesterday was 4 sets on the AbCoaster, some work on the situp/crunch bench and 10 minutes of plank work)

I have to travel up to CT later this week for work, but thankfully the Marriott I stay at has a decent workout facility and an almost usable pool (15 yards - at least I can keep a feel for the water).

2016-02-02 9:16 AM
in reply to: Sutton.chris86

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Chris86 Hello! NAME: Chris STORY: Well, its been up and down for a while now. I get into a good phase for a while then get stuck in a rut. About Two years ago I thought about doing a tri and started training for it but then we had another baby and, well, so much for that. So, here I am again, back into my "vision"! FAMILY STATUS: Happily married for 12 years to an awesome wife and we have 3 amazing kids! CURRENT TRAINING: Doing some cardio, biking and some weight training, but am looking for a training schedule to follow...I dont do well with just " shootin from the hip" so to say. Anyone have any ideas??? 2015 RACES: none The Plan for 2016: I would like to get at least one planned, but two would be great! BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Hmm, depends on the occasion...drinking for a while, Coors Light. Drinking socially....deffinately IPA! WEIGHT LOSS: Hope to lose about 15 lbs and get back the muscle mass and tone I once had 25 years ago. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I hope to contribute any knowledge to the group that I have learned along the way and help others who need that extra push when the going gets tough.

Wait...WHAT???    We use those for penalties!! 

Welcome, Chris.  Yeah, those kids do know how to derail a plan, don't they?  Like you, I find that I do much better with a plan to follow vs. something only loosely structured, and it keeps away from the orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist, too.  As for plan recommendations, I designed my own around my schedule (I swim when my daughter has swim practice, for instance) and macro goals (say, looking to hit 15 miles running this week).  Specific to sports:

• swimming:  I swim about 1500-2000M per session, doing various things, until I get in shape and then I go get killed at Masters practice
  • biking:  trainer work until April, using Trainer Road plans
  • running:  I use Daniels running formula, trying to get in 4 runs/week (I highly recommend reading his book, even if you don't use the plans it's great info)
  • strength/core: whatever I need to do to keep my body from falling apart doing the other three disciplines
2016-02-02 9:23 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by thor67

Have you tried Sufferlandia videos? I have three that I rotate on the trainer and the kick my A$$.

Originally posted by Qua17 I think I have been kidding myself! I was doing my long ride on the trainer as I always do and I just couldn't take it any longer. With the temps in the 50s - I had to get outside. SO I got ready and headed out. I was flying for the first 15 minutes - almost 17 miles per hour. By the time I had finished 75 minutes later - I was averaging just over 8. Part of it was not having anything to eat - but I'm clearly not working hard enough on the trainer. I need a nap. I hope all you hockey people (AKA Canadians) enjoy the all star game tonight.

There is no substitute for a good a$$ whupping from the cycling chicks on Hell Hath No Fury

2016-02-02 9:36 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sandishr Hi everyone, Checking back in. Things got crazy in January, and with limited mobility I wasn't motivated enough to check in. I've got to admit that it's hard reading these posts too. I'd give anything to be swimming and running right now. With that said, I need to stay on track and start forward momentum, even if it's not at the pace or activity level I'd prefer it to be. My vote for monthly challenge would be number of workouts per month, just because it's the only thing I can do. Core challenge is probably not an option. And as much as I want to lose weight, I've promised myself I won't push that or hold myself to it while on steroids, it feels like I'm just setting myself up for disappointment and failure. I want to do more, but I'm going to focus on forward momentum and holding myself accountable to that, as well as staying active within the group. Goals for the week/month 1) Check in a minimum of 4 times a week/16 times this month. 2) Log all activity in my BT training log. 3) Forward movement of at least 20 miles per week/75 miles this month. This may have to be walking, but my hope is to begin the C25K within the next two weeks. Sandi

Hi, Sandi.  I've been there, losing a year plus to various injuries (of my own fault mostly, which made it even harder).  For a while I was able to handle "racing vicariously" through my mentor group but eventually that doesn't cut it, does it?  Hang in there, stay the course, heal fully.  Training will be there when you've recovered and while that new normal may not be what it once was, it'll still be fun and fulfilling.  And there's still beer.  :-)

2016-02-02 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by thor67

Have you tried Sufferlandia videos? I have three that I rotate on the trainer and the kick my A$$.

Originally posted by Qua17 I think I have been kidding myself! I was doing my long ride on the trainer as I always do and I just couldn't take it any longer. With the temps in the 50s - I had to get outside. SO I got ready and headed out. I was flying for the first 15 minutes - almost 17 miles per hour. By the time I had finished 75 minutes later - I was averaging just over 8. Part of it was not having anything to eat - but I'm clearly not working hard enough on the trainer. I need a nap. I hope all you hockey people (AKA Canadians) enjoy the all star game tonight.

There is no substitute for a good a$$ whupping from the cycling chicks on Hell Hath No Fury

And speaking of The Sufferfest, the Tour of Sufferlandria starts this weekend.  I did it last year, and it almost killed me but I got about a 5% jump in my FTP afterwards.  My schedule isn't going to allow for the full tour this year but I'll try to fit in some SF workouts next week.

2016-02-02 12:28 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Ugh, weight actually went up last week, so I'm pretty much flat for January. Not super motivational to end where I began. And I forgot yesterday was the first of the month, so didn't do any core workout. But I'll fit that in tonight, and then try to remember to add it to the daily routine.

Goals for the week:

1) 3x run

2) 2x bike

3) 183 lbs or less

4) Core workouts daily

2016-02-02 12:47 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Busy blog! Couple days without checking in and already missed great post!

Sandy, great to hear from you again! You are really a great motivation for my training.

Question for the experts: in my country weather is not that cold as to use an indoor trainer frequently, but it does rain quite a bit. So, I am considering buying one, and absolutely lost as the variety (magnetic, fluid, direct transmision...) -and budget- is huge. Any suggestions, any type I should avoid or are all the same?

Thanks!
Juan
2016-02-02 1:05 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Juancho Busy blog! Couple days without checking in and already missed great post! Sandy, great to hear from you again! You are really a great motivation for my training. Question for the experts: in my country weather is not that cold as to use an indoor trainer frequently, but it does rain quite a bit. So, I am considering buying one, and absolutely lost as the variety (magnetic, fluid, direct transmision...) -and budget- is huge. Any suggestions, any type I should avoid or are all the same? Thanks! Juan

As usual, the answer is "it depends'.  I'm all for keeping it simple; I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine with a Garmin speed sensor, which allows me to use the "virtual power" features of software like Trainer Road.  They're like $300US new here in the states; no idea what they would be in Europe.  It's indestructible.  To me, that (or a similar quality fluid trainer like a Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainer) is the minimum I would go with.

Then you can get much more fancy/electronic/expensive...DCRainmaker does a great job of walking through everything

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2015-2016trainer-recommendations.html

2016-02-02 1:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by Juancho Busy blog! Couple days without checking in and already missed great post! Sandy, great to hear from you again! You are really a great motivation for my training. Question for the experts: in my country weather is not that cold as to use an indoor trainer frequently, but it does rain quite a bit. So, I am considering buying one, and absolutely lost as the variety (magnetic, fluid, direct transmision...) -and budget- is huge. Any suggestions, any type I should avoid or are all the same? Thanks! Juan

As usual, the answer is "it depends'.  I'm all for keeping it simple; I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine with a Garmin speed sensor, which allows me to use the "virtual power" features of software like Trainer Road.  They're like $300US new here in the states; no idea what they would be in Europe.  It's indestructible.  To me, that (or a similar quality fluid trainer like a Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainer) is the minimum I would go with.

Then you can get much more fancy/electronic/expensive...DCRainmaker does a great job of walking through everything

My wife and I both have Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainers (her's is in the attic).  I use mine quite a bit due to time constraints and not wanting to take to the road in the pre-dawn hours.  Like alot of workout equipment, many people buy thinking they will use them and then not.  I picked up both of ours used off of craigslist for at least half of the cost new (her's was only $100) - I checked the Madrid craigslist and got this:  La búsqueda no ha dado resultados. (Todos los terminos tienen que coincidir.).  Not sure what it means, but it doesn't sound promising.  

2016-02-02 2:02 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Definitely check out DCRainmaker's site for reviews. As a basic primer, without getting into the fancy/electronic/expensive ones you have 3 choices:

1) Wind. Cheap but noisy, and doesn't do a great job at simulating the increase in resistance at higher speeds you experience on the road.

2) Magnetic. Mid-priced and quiet. Some have variable resistance with speed, but not all.

3) Fluid. Most expensive ($300USD), but they're the quietest and do the best job of simulating road feel.

I have a pretty good mag trainer from CycleOps that I got used off Craigslist a few years ago for maybe $30, but if I were going to buy new I'd absolutely go with a fluid trainer. I have it hooked up to a speed & cadence sensor from Wahoo that displays on my iphone, and same as Mike I use Trainer Road for virtual power. I also use a trainer-specific tire that I put on in the fall; it's not necessary, but I had begun to notice extra wear on my rear tire, so I swapped it out. Bonus: I get practice changing tires twice a year.

2016-02-02 3:17 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Wow, that was fast reply! Thanks Mike, Dennis, Dough - you even checked Madrid's Craiglist and what you got is that nothing was found, but craiglist is not popular at all here (there are other extremely popular webs as segundamano.com). I will check dcrainmaker but will follow you experts' advise, as all of you agree.

Gracias!

Juan
2016-02-02 3:17 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

New user
Madrid
Yesterday 2500m swim, today 45 min spinning class and right after 15min run....back on track!!

Juan
2016-02-02 4:22 PM
in reply to: kjvandermolen

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
#38 - 1km swim - 31 min...2 min improvement on yesterday

#39 - 3 min run....outside....in short and a t-shirt....in february....it's ridiculous. Of course it will be like 10 degrees F next weekend for my 5K...but I'll take it for now.

As for bike trainers....I am borrowing a CycleOps Fluid trainer...it is nice except for the tires on my hybrid that is on there are knobby...and take away any quietness that it would afford...but hey...I can ride MY bike in the winter and not have to be on the stationary bikes in the gym.
2016-02-02 7:09 PM
in reply to: Qua17

NAME: Giselle

STORY: I did cross country in high school and did long distance on and off ever since. I've always tried to make exercise a priority so I try to do 5k and half marathons. I've always wanted to train for triathlons, but haven't had the courage to do it. I plan on signing up a triathlon sometime this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to hubby named JR for 1 1/2 years. No kids, but have a beagle/dachschund which we treat like our baby.

CURRENT TRAINING: currently training for surf city half marathon and a couple of other other marathons...hopefully at least one triathlon this year. only have been doing long distance running, but have been trying to taper down on running bc it's been having an impact on my legs. i love biking...not the biggest fan of swimming, but think that training for a triathlon would give me the perfect opportunity to get better at it.

2015 RACES: disney avengers half marathon

The Plan for 2016: surf city half marathon, san francisco half marathon, sign up for a triathlon sometime in the fall time

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: mmm beer and wine i love stout beer. i like the bitter coffee taste. the stout beers with a hint of chocolate and peanut are delicious! i also like framboise lambic, which is completely the opposite of stouts. also, like rose wines. nothing too sweet, but nothing too dry. i'm not a big fan of red wines, but maybe the lighter ones like merlot?

WEIGHT LOSS: I just want to get fit, and lose some body fat. maybe 10-15 pounds?

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: i make staying fit and healthy a priority, and do this by training for races. i have a passion for long distance races. i definitely love alcohol too (everything in moderation, which?). i also have a positive attitude and like pushes other to be better, like being pushed to be better too
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6388 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17560 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.