BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-04-25 9:19 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by Qua17

Morning BDASers!

A couple of house keeping items:

One – next week, we will have our monthly brag session. The topic will be: who did the best job of leaving inspires this month. Make sure to leave an inspire each day to get some love from your fellow BDASers. As race season approaches - the best way to keep moving towards your own goals is to be as active as you can on BT and leaving an inspire is a great way of passing on a little inspiration.

• Two –the Hopkinton season opener triathlon is just three weeks away. My hope is that all the locals will be able to sign-up and meet prior to the race. After kicking some butt, I hope we can head to Jack's Abby brewery for a get together. Then I plan on riding from my house to sterling which is about a 40 mile ride and I would love to have some company. I'm slow so don't worry about keeping up. The workout is all about getting in some hills so I can make it to the top of the mountain by June 1.

Three - I've got a job interview tomorrow for a fifth grade homeroom teachers position. If you're the praying kind please put a good word for me. If you're not please just keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks and have a great week!

GOOD LUCK!!! My fingers are most definitely crossed!

2016-04-25 9:21 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Happy Monday - Let's list the goals for the week.

DQ - 2 pounds lost, track food - every fricking calorie, 200 minutes of PT and step up my training with idea of moving toward IM finish in 20 weeks

You better be tracking those calories!!!

My goals for the week:
    -Continue to track on MFP, and hopefully drop a couple pounds (I was down to 154 on Friday but ate some crap this weekend so I'm back up to 158...I hate how hard it is to lose weight and how easy it is to put it back on).
    -Get in a workout activity every day, no matter what it is
    -Make swimming and running a priority this week - do each at least twice
    2016-04-25 1:49 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by Qua17 Morning BDASers! A couple of house keeping items: One – next week, we will have our monthly brag session. The topic will be: who did the best job of leaving inspires this month. Make sure to leave an inspire each day to get some love from your fellow BDASers. As race season approaches - the best way to keep moving towards your own goals is to be as active as you can on BT and leaving an inspire is a great way of passing on a little inspiration. . Two –the Hopkinton season opener triathlon is just three weeks away. My hope is that all the locals will be able to sign-up and meet prior to the race. After kicking some butt, I hope we can head to Jack's Abby brewery for a get together. Then I plan on riding from my house to sterling which is about a 40 mile ride and I would love to have some company. I'm slow so don't worry about keeping up. The workout is all about getting in some hills so I can make it to the top of the mountain by June 1. Three - I've got a job interview tomorrow for a fifth grade homeroom teachers position. If you're the praying kind please put a good word for me. If you're not please just keep your fingers crossed. Thanks and have a great week!

I'll be at Hopkinton, so we'll need to figure out how to meet up before the race. And I'm definitely game for stopping at Jack's Abby afterwards, looking forward to sampling their lineup!

And good luck with the interview, I'm sure you'll crush it.

2016-04-25 2:49 PM

User image

, Vermont

Three - I've got a job interview tomorrow for a fifth grade homeroom teachers position. If you're the praying kind please put a good word for me. If you're not please just keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks and have a great week!

Great news!! Good luck on the interview!!!
    2016-04-25 5:17 PM
    in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
    Originally posted by drfoodlove

Dave Q--GOOD LUCK ON YOUR INTERVIEW TOMORROW!!!!!!!

Training free weekend for me, probably the first one in nearly a year, if not more. We went to visit my wife's twin sister and her family this weekend. They have four children (8, 6, 5, 3--I think). I may not have gone for my planned run, but I did do curls with the 6 year old on Saturday and overhead dead weight crunches with the 3yo on Sunday, including lifting her over my while lying on my back and then bringing her down and doing a situp with her. Pretty sure that move isn't in any normally scheduled workout, but my upper abs are killing me today! We did the airplane move for over an hour too. I also fixed two very, very poorly maintained bikes while I was there. The 8yo (boy) is in total awe that "a girl can fix bikes".

Back at it this morning with masters class (#154). The coach moved me up two lanes to be with the other triathletes. He said it was so we could all do sighting drills, but we are all in agreement that he wants to keep us in one place so we aren't bad influences on the rest of the team. :P Overall good swim.

Thanks Doctor! Way to show the boy what girls can do! As for the masters coach... grr!
    2016-04-25 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
    I went out for a one hour recovery ride where I was supposed to take it easy but the ride felt so easy I ended up pushing the pace. I guess the hills/speed/long rides are finally having their desired effect. I averaged 16 mph which is pretty fast for me. Now I just need to work on finding more speed on flat ground, as there's only 1200 feet of gain in IMMD. Anyone have any good drills they care to recommend?

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes. I'm one of 5 semi finalists and I plan on sucking down a gu before heading into the building to give me that edge I need

2016-04-26 8:16 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Good luck this morning Dave!! Rock that interview!
    2016-04-26 8:18 AM
    in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    45 minute trainer ride with a 15 minute brick run afterwards. Then I did a little strength training and some yoga to round out the morning. Was hoping to be able to do the ride outside this afternoon, but we are in for storms. Ugh. New aerobars are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I hope they come early enough I can use them on my ride!
    2016-04-26 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Alberta

Well been somewhat MIA on the board as well as training in comparison to last year...

Just got back from a holiday to Lake Havasu, AZ.

Drove down April 12 in our truck with stops in Butte, MT, Salt Lake, ST. George arriving in LH April 15-24. We flew back on the 24. In laws driving truck home as we speak. Unfortunately they won't be arriving until Monday April 28 with our road bikes.

If you ever plan on going to Lake Havasu, it is NOT a great place for road biking. While I did  get out, it was night and day compared to Phoenix.

Squeezed in on lake swim(Freakin' boats/jetskis all over the lake)

If you ever have a chance go to Zion National Park. Awesome hikes including Angels Landing(you tube it). Perhaps one day I will do the St. George tri and spend a week here.

We also went to Grand Canyon, which was amazing but waaay too many people for my liking.

Ahh the beer...drank and ate too much. pretty sure I gained about 10lbs. Gotta love picking up the variety 6 packs of beer. Suffice to say I tried to a ton of beers.

Back to the training drawing board. Apparently I should get some mileage in for swimming.. :-)

2016-04-26 9:00 AM
    in reply to: #5158366

User image

, California
    "One workout at a time" thanks Kevin. Back in the pool today 40 minute swim.

Dave good luck on the interview tomorrow. You got this!

-Matt
    2016-04-26 5:16 PM
    in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
    Happy to report that the interview went as well as it possibly could have today. I liked everyone I met, conversations were good, and no one questioned my love for fruit beer : ), I should know next week if I'll get invited back for a 2nd interview. Keep your fingers crossed.

Took out all my stress on a hard run today. I usually run around a 13 minute mile. Today I was solidly in the 11:30 range. Grr. Interviewing is stressful.

4 days left on the inspire challenge. COme on people - make it happen!

2016-04-26 5:55 PM
    in reply to: #5178946

User image

, California
    Great to hear Dave, good luck!

50 minute ride this morning with 22 minutes going hard. Off to work.

-Matt
    2016-04-26 8:44 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Completed my first race of the season (and first since 2014) on Sunday. It was a 5k trail run, and I went in a bit nervous that my knees weren't going to hold up to all the downhills, but they were fine. I took two walk breaks, one at the water station and one at pretty steep incline around mile 2, and ended up with a 10:36 pace overall. That's a far cry from what I've been averaging on the roads, but considering this was a trail run I'll take it.

Best of all, I placed 3rd in my AG (out of 6, but no one needs to know that). First time I've ever been "on the podium"!

Race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=540719&posts=1&page=1

2016-04-26 9:53 PM

User image

, Vermont

Happy to report that the interview went as well as it possibly could have today. I liked everyone I met, conversations were good, and no one questioned my love for fruit beer : ), I should know next week if I'll get invited back for a 2nd interview. Keep your fingers crossed.

Took out all my stress on a hard run today. I usually run around a 13 minute mile. Today I was solidly in the 11:30 range. Grr. Interviewing is stressful.

Awesome, Dave!! Really praying for you!!!!

Great run today!
    2016-04-26 9:58 PM
    in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
    Hi all!
    Finally went to the doctor's today - tired of the green 11.
    She wrote a script for an antibiotic...I'm still holding onto it, I'd really like to kick this without it but I've been out of training long enough. The cold has been in and out of my chest though so I haven't been training and I'm done and ready to get things done. Maybe tomorrow after class and PT I'll finally pick up the meds and get back to it. Thursday is looking reasonably nice and I'd really like to get out on my bike!!

Hey! It's snowed here today!! >
    2016-04-26 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
    Spokane, WA

Happy Monday - Let's list the goals for the week.

DQ - 2 pounds lost, track food - every fricking calorie, 200 minutes of PT and step up my training with idea of moving toward IM finish in 20 weeks

Thanks for advice. I made the decision to not marathon this may/june. I'm not satisfied just finishing, or finishing at a 10min +/mi pace. I used to run in the 8 min/mi pace for marathon distance, and this is my goal this week/ next month's. I'm going to continue to lose weight and get my speed back.

With that said, all my workouts here on out will be speed/pace centered. I have a Mary planned in October with a goal of 3:55. That's 10 minutes slower than when I ran it in 2011.

Had a 5k run on the local high school track this morning. I ran straights hard, and jogged the curves for the first 6 laps. That's 12x100's. Ran the first mile in 7:34. Mile 2 was 7:55. Finished in 25:24. I was tuckered, but satisfied.

12k race this Sunday.

2016-04-26 10:33 PM
    in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
    Spokane, WA
    Originally posted by thor67

Well been somewhat MIA on the board as well as training in comparison to last year...

Just got back from a holiday to Lake Havasu, AZ.

Drove down April 12 in our truck with stops in Butte, MT, Salt Lake, ST. George arriving in LH April 15-24. We flew back on the 24. In laws driving truck home as we speak. Unfortunately they won't be arriving until Monday April 28 with our road bikes.

If you ever plan on going to Lake Havasu, it is NOT a great place for road biking. While I did  get out, it was night and day compared to Phoenix.

Squeezed in on lake swim(Freakin' boats/jetskis all over the lake)

If you ever have a chance go to Zion National Park. Awesome hikes including Angels Landing(you tube it). Perhaps one day I will do the St. George tri and spend a week here.

We also went to Grand Canyon, which was amazing but waaay too many people for my liking.

Ahh the beer...drank and ate too much. pretty sure I gained about 10lbs. Gotta love picking up the variety 6 packs of beer. Suffice to say I tried to a ton of beers.

Back to the training drawing board. Apparently I should get some mileage in for swimming.. :-)

This sounds busy, sunny, and fun.

Do you have any events planned for this year?
    2016-04-26 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
    Spokane, WA
    Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hi all!
    She wrote a script for an antibiotic...I'm still holding onto it, I'd really like to kick this without it but I've been out of training long enough. The cold has been in and out of my chest though so I haven't been training and I'm done and ready to get things done. Maybe tomorrow after class and PT I'll finally pick up the meds and get back to it. Thursday is looking reasonably nice and I'd really like to get out on my bike!!

Time to get healthy so you can get back to kicking a$$.
    2016-04-27 7:41 AM
    in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Originally posted by kevinbe

Hi all!

Time to get healthy so you can get back to kicking a$$.

I agree! Your body just needs a little push to get healthy again!
    2016-04-27 7:42 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Awesome, Dave!! Really praying for you!!!!

Great run today!

Likewise! Fingers AND toes are crossed!
    2016-04-27 7:56 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Interesting day at master's swim this morning. We kicked...a lot. Then we pulled...a lot. Then we swam...a lot. Sense the theme? Lots of long sets today. We also had a random guy jump into the second lane (i.e., second fastest) about 45 minutes into the workout. I'd guess he swam about a 4:00/100m, so there were a couple of collisions. I felt bad for the guy, he clearly didn't have any idea what he was supposed to be doing. After the coach told him this was a class and if he wanted to swim he was free to use the open lane at the end of the pool, he just stood at the end of the lane for 3-4 minutes. Then he got out, walked around the deck for a few minutes, and left. I hope it doesn't discourage him.

Hour bike scheduled for this afternoon. Forcasted for storms all day, so it looks like I'll be hitting the trainer...AGAIN. Ugh. I just wanna ride outside! My new aerobars came in last night, so at least I'll get to set them up and adjust them without losing a nice day to bike maintenance. Excited to see how they feel!

2016-04-27 9:11 AM
    in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

DeLand, Florida
    Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Anyone ever done a Ragnar relay? I found out the other day that MA has both a road relay (in May) and trail (August). I've never considered a long format race like that before, but I have to say I'm intrigued by the trail relay. 8 runners per team, 15 miles each over 3 legs (so a bit over 100 mi total).

I haven't done one yet, but I have a coworker friend who lives in PA who routinely comes up to MA to do one or both, and has asked me to possibly join the team this year. I'll keep you posted!
    2016-04-27 9:30 AM
    in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida
    Ok y'all I'm all caught up again I think.
    Dave - here's to that 2nd interview! Good job rocking the first one!

Still haven't been tracking my workouts which I really need to do, but one thing at a time. I'm full on in tri training mode starting this week. My last swim class two weeks ago I crushed - both in total yards (2400) and longest single set ever (1000). Might not be a lot for you IM types but for a guy that couldn't swim a stroke a couple years back this is pretty huge for me.

Still sore from my first yoga class in 8 months, which was Monday night. Yesterday had a 4 mile run, then a test pace swim last night (felt terrible, but I'm still at 2:00/100).

Everyone else - keep up the good work! Little setback are always going to happen. Can't let them get you down, better to do half a workout than no workout, and if you can't work out at all, better to do it tomorrow than never.
    2016-04-27 9:48 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
    Ok question for you long distance types. The wife is doing her first 70.3 in October, I'm thinking a Mother's Day gift is in order. Since it's coming up soon and all..

She is using her road bike with aero bars, and a new Tri bike is out of the budget She's just been using her regular Schwinn $20 'keep me alive' helmet though, I was thinking something a little more aero that she can still use all summer. You know much like the Giro Air Attack I got for Christmas - LOL. I'm fishing for ideas though- anything thta would be a nice gift for someone transitioning to their first long race.

Thanks!
    2016-04-27 9:59 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
    Ooh and Dave - totally hear ya on the flat tire business. Got my bike back with new bar tape, new cables, an appropriately sized spacer for the cassette (apparently the one that came with it was not big enough and the cassette had some play in it? No charge for it so I know it wasn't bike shop BS). Took it out for my first road ride of the year last week and a mile or so from home it started getting harder and harder to pedal. Slowly, like it felt like my fitness was just bad until the noise and the thump thump out of the back. Flatted and had never used a CO2 inflator before and had no idea what I was doing, a guy nearby ended up giving me and the bike a ride home. Tore everything down at home, checked the tire for debris and the tube for obvious punctures, nothing. Put the new tube in, went for a ride the next day, a mile from home same situation. Knowing how to use the CO2 properly now I got the flat changed on the side of the road and didn't even make it the mile home before the flat again.

My wife kept telling me 'it sounds like there's debris in the tire" and I kept saying "I checked that 3 times". Well should have checked a 4th - there was a sliver of metal in the sidewall, couldn't have been much wider than 2 pins and thin as a razor. And black, of course. 3 tubes and 2 CO2s later I've learned my lesson.

At least I know it's not a defective tire (was worried the bead was poking through or something) and not a defective rim - both are new.

So now I get to check out a new bike shop in Dave's neighborhood Saturday where we have a gift card, and pick up some new tubes and CO2s since I depleted the supply at home. And then Dave and I can do a bike-run double together.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
    Views: 6368 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 17504 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 12, 2014
    author : TeamMPI
    comments : 1
    The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
    date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.