BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-04-27 11:12 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by firebert

Ok question for you long distance types. The wife is doing her first 70.3 in October, I'm thinking a Mother's Day gift is in order. Since it's coming up soon and all..

She is using her road bike with aero bars, and a new Tri bike is out of the budget She's just been using her regular Schwinn $20 'keep me alive' helmet though, I was thinking something a little more aero that she can still use all summer. You know much like the Giro Air Attack I got for Christmas - LOL. I'm fishing for ideas though- anything thta would be a nice gift for someone transitioning to their first long race.

Thanks!

My vote would be clip on tri bars. I saw a chat once that looked at the price vs. the gain of certain tri items. At the very top was tri bars. Second was a tri helmet (just think of all the fun you could have at parties), and last was a tri bike. I've noticed an amazing difference using my areobars. Besides there's nothing more romantic than a copy of pieces of metal all wrapped up in a nice box with a bow on top of it! Another option is a really good pair of bike shorts. I bought a big to keep the shorts in place and they are worth every penny of the 150 bucks I paid two years ago. Another option is lights for her bike so she can train long early in the morning or late at night without scaring the crap out of her husband. Finally - what about a message for the week after the long race.

Good luck and may you receive the ultimate number of brownie points.

DQ

2016-04-27 11:27 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Dave, GOOD LUCK with the job selection process (seems like the GU did help in your last interview!)

Been too busy with traveling lately - last week poor training, just two 30 min run at 40 degrees in the UAE, but Sunday back at home did a half marathon with my wife (1st one for her) and my nephew (1st for her as well), had a wonderful time. It is really a thrill to see how emotional a 1st time finish can be for a 1st time finisher!

Yesterday had to catch up, so 31 min swim (1500m) and 50 min spinning class right after. Today, back on the plane, let´s see what I can do this week, looking forward to be back home for the long ride on Sunday!

Jenn, hope you recover soon - and keep up the "coach mode", it is motivating!

Juan
2016-04-27 11:44 AM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

How goes the battle for you? how is the training going?

Originally posted by Syndiethea Way to hit the road! Looks like you are coming back strong Kevin...helps that baby girl is a little older and you are a little wiser! Best to you and the family.

2016-04-28 8:08 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning all!

Light day here for me, just strength training and yoga on the calendar, both of which I've already done. Put my new aerobars on my bike yesterday and I'm thankful that I had the foresight to try them out on the trainer before hitting the road. Installation was an epic failure...unless, of course, they are supposed to spin around your handlebars as you ride. Ugh! How do you get them tight enough to not move? What am I doing wrong? Okay, I know, both are rhetorical questions because you all don't know what I've done, but is there a trick I'm missing?
2016-04-28 8:25 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

I went to see the sports med yesterday to check on the progress of my collarbone. He was very impressed by the position it's healing in and he doesn't think I'll have any reduced movement misalignments so that's good. It is healing a little slower than I would like though. The doc thought it should have started 'gelling' by now but I'm still getting some clicking and movement. 

I've been going to the gym and doing an hour everyday on the recumbent bike and using the leg machines that don't require me to put any strain on my upper body so hopefully that will limit fitness loss. I also have been riding the trainer with one hand but because of the brace I wear it constricts my breathing a little and I find it hard to ride more than 30minutes with just the one hand. Hopefully in another week or so I'll be able to ride two handed on the trainer. 

That's it for me for now.

2016-04-28 1:58 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by firebert

Ok question for you long distance types. The wife is doing her first 70.3 in October, I'm thinking a Mother's Day gift is in order. Since it's coming up soon and all..

She is using her road bike with aero bars, and a new Tri bike is out of the budget She's just been using her regular Schwinn $20 'keep me alive' helmet though, I was thinking something a little more aero that she can still use all summer. You know much like the Giro Air Attack I got for Christmas - LOL. I'm fishing for ideas though- anything thta would be a nice gift for someone transitioning to their first long race.

Thanks!

My vote would be clip on tri bars. I saw a chat once that looked at the price vs. the gain of certain tri items. At the very top was tri bars. Second was a tri helmet (just think of all the fun you could have at parties), and last was a tri bike. I've noticed an amazing difference using my areobars. Besides there's nothing more romantic than a copy of pieces of metal all wrapped up in a nice box with a bow on top of it! Another option is a really good pair of bike shorts. I bought a big to keep the shorts in place and they are worth every penny of the 150 bucks I paid two years ago. Another option is lights for her bike so she can train long early in the morning or late at night without scaring the crap out of her husband. Finally - what about a message for the week after the long race.

Good luck and may you receive the ultimate number of brownie points.

DQ

Thanks Dave! She does have the clip on bars (The Profile Design T2+ like Gretchen just ordered). She had them added when she got fit for her bike.

So I'm thinking helmet or the shorts are a fantastic idea. Once she starts in on the 2-3 hour rides she's really not going to want her $30 clearance shorts!

2016-04-28 3:15 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
BTW still with the sunglass discounts at XX2i - 55% of with code MOM. The best I've seen is 60%, and I only ever saw that once.
2016-04-28 9:07 PM
in reply to: #5179055

User image

, California
JPM corporate challenge run last night. 5.6km. Not sure why that distance was decided when this race started but anyway. Fun to do a race with coworkers and the ice cold beer afterward didn't hurt.

-Matt
2016-04-29 6:22 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

JPM corporate challenge run last night. 5.6km. Not sure why that distance was decided when this race started but anyway. Fun to do a race with coworkers and the ice cold beer afterward didn't hurt.

-Matt

How'd the boss do? Did everyone have to run behind him?
2016-04-29 6:25 AM

User image

Expert
Got on the scale yesterday! Down 2.2 pounds since last week. Pretty stoked considering the fact that I didn't eat great at the wedding.

A hige thank you and shout out to Juan. Thanks to the weightloss, I ripped another two notes off "paper chain" and one of them was from JUan. Thanks Juan - you are the man! I appreciate the encouragement!

DQ
2016-04-29 6:36 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

I went to see the sports med yesterday to check on the progress of my collarbone. He was very impressed by the position it's healing in and he doesn't think I'll have any reduced movement misalignments so that's good. It is healing a little slower than I would like though. The doc thought it should have started 'gelling' by now but I'm still getting some clicking and movement. 

I've been going to the gym and doing an hour everyday on the recumbent bike and using the leg machines that don't require me to put any strain on my upper body so hopefully that will limit fitness loss. I also have been riding the trainer with one hand but because of the brace I wear it constricts my breathing a little and I find it hard to ride more than 30minutes with just the one hand. Hopefully in another week or so I'll be able to ride two handed on the trainer. 

That's it for me for now.

Hey Alan - Glad to hear you are on the mend! Sorry to hear that it's taking you longer than you had hoped but I hope your body gets in gear so you can start to train again ASAP. You know what helps bones heal - beer!

2016-04-29 6:40 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Morning all!

Light day here for me, just strength training and yoga on the calendar, both of which I've already done. Put my new aerobars on my bike yesterday and I'm thankful that I had the foresight to try them out on the trainer before hitting the road. Installation was an epic failure...unless, of course, they are supposed to spin around your handlebars as you ride. Ugh! How do you get them tight enough to not move? What am I doing wrong? Okay, I know, both are rhetorical questions because you all don't know what I've done, but is there a trick I'm missing?

I had a similar problem when I installed mine. No matter how hard I tightened - they still spun.... Then i figured it out - I had tapered handle bars so while one side was tight - the other wasn't. I solved the problem by moving the handle bars closer to the center to take the taper (the end of the bars were narrower than the middle) out of the equation.

Good luck!
2016-04-29 8:11 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by Tavo2311

-Matt

I used to do the one in Boston when I worked for a Boston company. Lots of fun, but a bit frustrating if you're trying to actually race - too many people, weird distance (I believe the Boston one was 4 miles, except the years when the turnaround point was under construction - Kenmore Square for you Boston types). The beer afterwards, and being a sweaty runner in a fancy lounge, made it all worthwhile. Glad you had fun!
2016-04-29 8:14 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Alan - plus one on what Dave said. I'm just encouraged to hear that you are healing well, even if slower than expected. When I saw the crash pic and heard broken clavicle I thought it was a season ender. You are BaDAsS!
2016-04-29 8:56 AM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by Qua17 Got on the scale yesterday! Down 2.2 pounds since last week. Pretty stoked considering the fact that I didn't eat great at the wedding. A hige thank you and shout out to Juan. Thanks to the weightloss, I ripped another two notes off "paper chain" and one of them was from JUan. Thanks Juan - you are the man! I appreciate the encouragement! DQ

Good job, Dave!

2016-04-29 9:22 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Got on the scale yesterday! Down 2.2 pounds since last week. Pretty stoked considering the fact that I didn't eat great at the wedding.

A hige thank you and shout out to Juan. Thanks to the weightloss, I ripped another two notes off "paper chain" and one of them was from JUan. Thanks Juan - you are the man! I appreciate the encouragement!

DQ

Congrats on the pounds down Dave!!!!!!!!!

2016-04-29 10:21 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

DQ

Woot woot! Keep up the good work!

Do you remember when our challenge ends? haha I hope to still keep up the food tracking. I have the reminder alarm each night to remind me, and think I have built the habit in well enough that I will continue to do it. I have you to thank for this motivation!
2016-04-29 1:23 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida
Ok need an opinion from the ladies out here - for my wife's mother's day gift I have it narrowed to an aero road helmet (something like my Giro, not like a darth vader helmet), or a proper pair of bike shorts for comfort in the saddle over all the training hours. Which would you rather receive as a gift?
2016-04-29 2:20 PM
in reply to: #5179385

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
John--my vote would be for the shorts. I choose comfort in the saddle every time!
2016-04-29 2:26 PM
in reply to: #5179506

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Big training day here. Started with masters swim (2200m). Then finally got my aerobars on properly (thanks Dave!) and took my bike out for a ride, 3:15 scheduled. I managed 2:05 outside before I was convinced it was going to start pouring at any second, came home and popped my bike on the trainer to finish out the ride. Let me tell you, finishing a ride on the trainer sucks after you've been having fun on the road. Rounded out the day with a 15 min brick run. I've discovered the local small airport has a nice 1.3mi loop around it with bike lanes. It is mostly flat and the road is one way, so no surprises. I love it! I did ten laps around it today on my new aerobars learning how to use them.

On to cleaning out the gutters. Hope everyone has great things on tap for the weekend!
2016-04-29 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi everyone.  Sorry I've been MIA for the past couple of weeks - first vacation then post-vacation work hell. 

Still dealing with the balky knee - though I'm seeing some slow improvement so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing (short bike rides, some swimming, strength training, and THE FOAM ROLLER ).  I'm not signed up for any races anyway (though I was about to pull the trigger on a fall HIM).

More later as I get caught up.  Happy Friday!!!

2016-04-29 3:14 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Big training day here. Started with masters swim (2200m). Then finally got my aerobars on properly (thanks Dave!) and took my bike out for a ride, 3:15 scheduled. I managed 2:05 outside before I was convinced it was going to start pouring at any second, came home and popped my bike on the trainer to finish out the ride. Let me tell you, finishing a ride on the trainer sucks after you've been having fun on the road. Rounded out the day with a 15 min brick run. I've discovered the local small airport has a nice 1.3mi loop around it with bike lanes. It is mostly flat and the road is one way, so no surprises. I love it! I did ten laps around it today on my new aerobars learning how to use them.

On to cleaning out the gutters. Hope everyone has great things on tap for the weekend!

Cleaning out the gutters - you really know how to live! Seriously - nice workout!

How'd you like the areobars?
2016-04-29 3:15 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hi everyone.  Sorry I've been MIA for the past couple of weeks - first vacation then post-vacation work hell. 

Still dealing with the balky knee - though I'm seeing some slow improvement so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing (short bike rides, some swimming, strength training, and THE FOAM ROLLER ).  I'm not signed up for any races anyway (though I was about to pull the trigger on a fall HIM).

More later as I get caught up.  Happy Friday!!!

You're knee - my shoulder.... I guess we will just keep on keeping on! What does the doc/pt say?

Hope it gets to feeling better soon so you can make that HIM a reality!
2016-04-29 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Today was supposed to be a rest day but I decided to do a 30 min recovery ride on the trainer. During my "ride" I watched videos of last years IMMD to get me fired up. I figure every extra workout, no matter how short, moves me closer to that finish line and the finisher jacket I want so desperately.

Speaking of which - the bike shop just called and my wife's car is fixed. So, I'm gonna run up and drive it home. Hey Nicole - I'm gonna earn enough brownie points to actually eat some brownies!

Have a great weekend everyone!

DQ
2016-04-29 4:12 PM

User image

, Vermont

DQ

Great job, Dave!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6371 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17514 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.