BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-05-19 11:39 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Speaking of having a hitch in my giddy up... I went to the doc today about my shoulder, which has been paining me since last October. Thanks to Physical therapy and time, it has gotten a bit better. Now instead of it being a 5 or 6 when I raise my arm, it's a 1 or a 2.

My doc now thinks that I have a torn labrum - which is a muscle I had never even heard of. Anyway - the cure for a torn Labrum is surgery which I can't have without giving up my shot at IMNC in the Fall. Luckily, my doctor is a triathlete who gets me and the sport and we spent 15 minutes brainstorming ways I could change my swim stroke to take the pressure off the torn muscle and transfer it to the other parts of my shoulder that can handle the strain.

I also reached out to my PT who has agreed to coach me again (if you're the praying type - please send up a prayer of thanks on my behalf) and he said he would meet with me either this weekend or next weekend to work with me on my stroke at his pool. I am so blessed.

Now I have to just get my eating under control and I'll be in fat city... Wait - I already am in fat city

2016-05-19 11:46 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Oopps, might help if I remembered to attach it...

Jenn - I don't care how slowly you did it - that ride was badass! Take the advice and make the changes to your bike. The hills at IMMT are no joke especially the last one.

Quick story... during IMMT I was heading out of town on my first look of the run course and I was really sucking wind. The last hill had crushed me and my legs were seriously tired. There was this 60 year old over weight man who started up a quick conversation with me.

Man - Wow - you look bushed
Me - I am. The Hills bleeping killed me
Man - I'll bet. But I'm sure of something...
Me - What's that
Man - your butt is bleeping glad it's off the bike

Truer words have never been spoken. Get the new gears - you'll be glad you did.
2016-05-19 11:48 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Swim and bike in the books this morning, both done at the retirement village. Let me tell you--the facilities are a little lacking, but man I could get used to working out in a place like this! I feel so fast! Okay, yes, I know that is terrible.

HA - At the retirement village - you're Kevin
2016-05-19 12:17 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Oopps, might help if I remembered to attach it...

I rode up Cadillac Mt in Maine a few years ago, it had a pretty similar elevation profile (maybe 1,500ft?). I remember being in my granny gear for most of the climb, still only able to spin about 50-60 rpm, getting passed by the guys on the second ascent in the time it took me to do one.

2016-05-19 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by kevinbe Had a hitch in the getty up this morning. Went out on planned four miler. I was planning on slowing down effort as my body was tired from moving doors all day the day before. I ran my first mile and was when I started to have a sudden ache in my knee. Normally can run through aches, but this one persisted. I walked back home dejected. Hoping it's a minor tweak, and not something more. Icing and ibuprofen right now.
I hope it's just a hitch in your getty up and that you get back on the road soon. You know what you should try - fruit beers - they're renowned for their anti inflammatory powers
that is so wrong...go to your room Dave!

2016-05-20 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

currently 36F and raining...bailing on my lunch run. going to hop on cycle trainer after work.

Long weekend for us Canadians! Going to try out a new India pale lager

2016-05-20 1:11 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Oopps, might help if I remembered to attach it...

I rode up Cadillac Mt in Maine a few years ago, it had a pretty similar elevation profile (maybe 1,500ft?). I remember being in my granny gear for most of the climb, still only able to spin about 50-60 rpm, getting passed by the guys on the second ascent in the time it took me to do one.

You just described my climbing at the Du/Tri this past Sunday. Except the 1500ft part, I think we probably had 150ft. I was granny-ing, still had to get out of the saddle once, and got passed by flat pedals and toe cages. MAN I suck at climbing!
2016-05-20 1:12 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida
Still a little slow this week. I've been working out every day except Monday's scheduled rest day, but bailing on the second half of doubles each day. The hips are killing me... I've been rolling them out all day and working on some stretching to get hopefully a good swim in tonight.
2016-05-21 7:21 AM
in reply to: #5182426

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Heading home today--I'm so ready!! Happy to report I hit 8 workouts this week, including a 6.5mi run that seemed easy and too short!

Anyone racing this weekend?!?
2016-05-21 9:27 AM
in reply to: #5182968

User image

, Vermont
Awesome job, Gretchen!! Way to get it done on the road!!

John, have you had a PT look at it? Maybe glute or hamstring weakness?? Is it both sides or focusing on one specific side?

3 hour zone 2 effort for 45 miles on the bike. Back was achy and tight especially toward the end but feels better now that I've rolled and stretched (hoping it stays that way!). I was tapping out on gears on my roadie - may go with an 11/28 cassette, see how that feels before switching up my tri bike. With my back, I may need to option of "extra" gears though I hate to spring for a new long derailleur.
Other than that, it's finally trying to warm up here!! Woohoo! I started out at 48 degrees this morning in a cycling jersey and goosebumps on my arms had goosebumps! It was nice by the end of the ride though.
2016-05-21 11:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Speaking of having a hitch in my giddy up... I went to the doc today about my shoulder, which has been paining me since last October. Thanks to Physical therapy and time, it has gotten a bit better. Now instead of it being a 5 or 6 when I raise my arm, it's a 1 or a 2.

My doc now thinks that I have a torn labrum - which is a muscle I had never even heard of. Anyway - the cure for a torn Labrum is surgery which I can't have without giving up my shot at IMNC in the Fall. Luckily, my doctor is a triathlete who gets me and the sport and we spent 15 minutes brainstorming ways I could change my swim stroke to take the pressure off the torn muscle and transfer it to the other parts of my shoulder that can handle the strain.

I also reached out to my PT who has agreed to coach me again (if you're the praying type - please send up a prayer of thanks on my behalf) and he said he would meet with me either this weekend or next weekend to work with me on my stroke at his pool. I am so blessed.

Now I have to just get my eating under control and I'll be in fat city... Wait - I already am in fat city

Since beginning this journey, you've always had some adverse injury of one kind or other. I applaud your persistence and tenacity at developing strategies to continue to move forward.

I would also advise laying off the fruity beers as a means of assisting in your overall fitness. The fruit mixes with the natural hopps ability to heal the body and creates a putrid solution that is most un hospitable to the body, and pallet.

Edited by kevinbe 2016-05-21 11:16 AM

2016-05-21 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

DQ, you give so much to others that it is good to see you be given the gift of time and knowledge from those around you. Prayer of thanks sent, for you as well as on your behalf.
2016-05-21 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Heading home today--I'm so ready!! Happy to report I hit 8 workouts this week, including a 6.5mi run that seemed easy and too short!

Anyone racing this weekend?!?

That's an awesome accomplishment! Both the total # of workouts away, and the volume of your run.
2016-05-21 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Awesome job, Gretchen!! Way to get it done on the road!!

John, have you had a PT look at it? Maybe glute or hamstring weakness?? Is it both sides or focusing on one specific side?

3 hour zone 2 effort for 45 miles on the bike. Back was achy and tight especially toward the end but feels better now that I've rolled and stretched (hoping it stays that way!). I was tapping out on gears on my roadie - may go with an 11/28 cassette, see how that feels before switching up my tri bike. With my back, I may need to option of "extra" gears though I hate to spring for a new long derailleur.
Other than that, it's finally trying to warm up here!! Woohoo! I started out at 48 degrees this morning in a cycling jersey and goosebumps on my arms had goosebumps! It was nice by the end of the ride though.

Huge ride. 3 hours on the bike will definitely let you know your alive! My back aches for you, and hoping it's just soreness, and gets better this week ahead. Solid effort.
2016-05-21 11:30 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by kevinbe

Originally posted by MOlsen

4.16 mile training run in at 7:42/mi pace. Starting to find my legs again.

That's a blistering fast pace from my perspective, with room for improvement as find your legs. I may be able to "casually" run 10-12 miles each weekend but it's at my steady 9:30-10:00 pace

I'd been doing a lot of those 10+ milers at the 9:30+ pace thinking the speed would eventually come, and it wasn't. So I switched my program, and am now going to do speed work solely, and slowly build it into my distance running. I Have to run faster to be faster.

Did you develop the plan yourself or are you following a specific plan?
2016-05-21 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Originally posted by Juancho

My work environment look at me when talk about tri like "....sure, mid-life crisis, poor guy....".
But worse is my mom, every time I finish a race, she says to me very seriously: "this is great, so now you don´t NEED to run any more races"!!

Juan

Got a lot of the questions about "why do you do that" this weekend at my in-laws house. At work, we largely go about our days trying to avoid talking to one another at all, so no one really has any idea about anyone else's extra-curricular activities. I do notice, however, that usually when I get negative type comments about tri, it is usually from someone who gets out of breath walking into the kitchen (MIL!!!).

I have a great work crew and some people have been inspired to start moving. We started an adventure club and are hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail by segments this summer. My job is to help plan, track our route, inspire and encourage. Easy breezy...however for some reason people confess their food sins to me...I can't get them to understand, one I am NOT the person to confess to and two, food is not the enemy, eat what you want in moderation and move, keep moving. Ha ha, we have a lot of fun and i am so excited about what the summer will bring.

2016-05-21 11:56 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
GREAT idea! I am adding this group as my tri club too.
2016-05-21 12:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Finals done; Commence planned, initiated and complete; (I did get over 5 miles while herding graduates, faculty, staff, and moving people from the isles because they want a crapy picture instead of the free professional picture); Get the CRM up and running...ugh..this will be my summer. The first two were biggies that I am happy to check off my list. I start class tomorrow but the huge benefit is that the course is online and I don't have to go to the university campus, I can do it in my pjs at 2am.

Oh and this is old news, in my Mother's Day mini sprint I took 5th, I missed 3rd because of a bio break! Aparigraha.... let it go; as you can see my decision still haunts me.

Edited by Syndiethea 2016-05-21 12:17 PM
2016-05-21 5:07 PM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Syndiethea

That's a blistering fast pace from my perspective, with room for improvement as find your legs. I may be able to "casually" run 10-12 miles each weekend but it's at my steady 9:30-10:00 pace

I'd been doing a lot of those 10+ milers at the 9:30+ pace thinking the speed would eventually come, and it wasn't. So I switched my program, and am now going to do speed work solely, and slowly build it into my distance running. I Have to run faster to be faster.

Just a combo of plans done in the past. I've got all the routes saved in my routes for an easy marathon build. I just need to run 3x/week with a speed workout, long run, and recovery run. Lately, dissatisfied with my pace, I decreased distances and have made all my workouts speed workouts. Now that I have a pace again, I'm starting to build miles back with the quicker pace.
2016-05-22 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
OK - Starting fresh with 22 weeks until IMNC. As a woke up this morning - I weighed in heavier than I had in 4 years which is unacceptable! My failure lead me to more eating - 20 oreos. So this week - I'm going to have 1 goal and that is to get my eating under control. I'm also going to have 3 things I'm also shooting for. If I fail in those things but eat better than the week will have been a success.

Alright folks - it's times for goals of the week!

2016-05-22 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
DQ Goals: Keep calories for 6 days this week under 2100 calories

My other focused - 1_ Embrace the meanings in my workouts, 2) More entries in BT forum 3) PT 7 times a week

2016-05-22 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

OK - Starting fresh with 22 weeks until IMNC. As a woke up this morning - I weighed in heavier than I had in 4 years which is unacceptable! My failure lead me to more eating - 20 oreos. So this week - I'm going to have 1 goal and that is to get my eating under control. I'm also going to have 3 things I'm also shooting for. If I fail in those things but eat better than the week will have been a success.

Alright folks - it's times for goals of the week!

When I was fat and decided to not be fat the first thing I did was try to figure out why i ate what ate and why i ate so much. I knew it wasn't because I loved food, I was eating crap for a reason. Then once I had an idea of the why i reminded myself that I did not need food to fill a need other than survival. I have a great husband, family and life overall. I just started to enjoy my gifts. Not sure this will work for you but that was the beginning for me and since then I went from 235 to 155 but hover around 159 most of the time. Now, I at least recognize when I want to use food to satisfy a need, sometimes that stops me but most times not...I just don't over eat as often.

Hope this helps you on your road to health DQ, recognizing the issue is half the battle. Good luck to you. I just read your goals and can I say, they were inspiring.
2016-05-22 7:22 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Goals for the week:

1. Run everyday...I have the RTO on June 3rd in less than two weeks!
2. Eat for purpose
Thats it thats all I've got.
2016-05-23 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Syndiethea

Just a combo of plans done in the past. I've got all the routes saved in my routes for an easy marathon build. I just need to run 3x/week with a speed workout, long run, and recovery run. Lately, dissatisfied with my pace, I decreased distances and have made all my workouts speed workouts. Now that I have a pace again, I'm starting to build miles back with the quicker pace.

Be REALLY careful about having a large percentage of your running time being "speed" - just about every running plan I've seen advocated like 70-80% of running miles being in the "easy" range.  You have a big base so you probably can push that, just watch out for little tweaks here and there.

2016-05-23 7:29 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, gang.  Looks like everyone is getting some good work done here.

@Gretchen - nice work at the old folks home, gotta love therapy pool temps!

@Dave - glad your shoulder pain is better; my shoulder hurt for the better part of ten years from volleyball so I know your pain; hopefully your PT can figure out the adjustments for you

@Kevin - hope your knee is OK - I'm just finishing up a bout of tendonitis that (hopefully) has about resolved itself; I agree with Jenn, this could maybe be some kind of muscle issue and if your legs were cooked from throwing doors around that could cause it, too

@NewEnglandRacers - you guys are crazy swimming in those temps

So it's rained here every day so far this month - it just poured all weekend, and I mean ALL weekend.  If you watched the Preakness, then that's what it was like.  It's supposed to clear off and get summer-like here later this week.  Can't wait. 

I need to take my bike in for a tune up.  I really need to learn how to do this stuff myself LOL.

Knee is progressing.  I've been doing a lot of hip flexor work and being very consistent with my strength and core training, plus I did Bikram Yoga on Thursday for the first time in like a year.  Needless to say that was humbling.

My Masters group did their annual 100 x 100 swim on Saturday.  Normally I participate and try to do like 4-6K of it - HA not this year.  I did get in 4 swim sessions for over 5K this past week, though.

Goal this week:  stay consistent and get in a good OUTDOOR ride this weekend.

Everyone have a great week!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6326 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17381 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.