BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-05-23 8:22 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Happy Monday Morning!!! (Is that an oxymoron?!?)

Anyway, Monday is here and there isn't anything we can do about it, so Happy Monday! I jumped right back into Week 9 of HIM training with masters swim class this morning (#194/400). 2800m of longer sets (MS was 5x200, 200 kick, 6x100, 500 pull). Our coach is on vacation this week, so sub coach. She likes long stuff. Coach likes sprint stuff. Planning a run this afternoon. Figuring I need to start my runs around noonish from now until end of July, just to get used to running at that time and in those temps. I can work my schedule to do that. Is it wise?

New tire question for everyone. I got new tires two weeks ago (Gatorskins). I put them on, then reinstalled them because they were backwards! So, I know they are on right now, I have double and triple checked them. They are so freaking SLOW!! Or, I'm so slow on them. I lost 1.5mph over the course of all but the shortest ride (35 min), where I only lost 1mph. I'm super concerned about making the cutoff on my HIM in July because my run pace is abysmal. I need to be as fast as possible on the bike and swim to even have a chance at the run. So, back to the LBS I went and explained my situation. Purchased some Continental 4000s (again, damn tires are expensive!). I plan to train with the Gatorskins and then swap out for the 4000s for races (and the ride or two before the race to get used to them). Sound like a solid plan? Or did I just waste more money at the LBS? First race is on Saturday--local sprint that I've never been able to do because I'm always in Egypt.

2016-05-23 8:39 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Happy Monday Morning!!! (Is that an oxymoron?!?) Anyway, Monday is here and there isn't anything we can do about it, so Happy Monday! I jumped right back into Week 9 of HIM training with masters swim class this morning (#194/400). 2800m of longer sets (MS was 5x200, 200 kick, 6x100, 500 pull). Our coach is on vacation this week, so sub coach. She likes long stuff. Coach likes sprint stuff. Planning a run this afternoon. Figuring I need to start my runs around noonish from now until end of July, just to get used to running at that time and in those temps. I can work my schedule to do that. Is it wise? New tire question for everyone. I got new tires two weeks ago (Gatorskins). I put them on, then reinstalled them because they were backwards! So, I know they are on right now, I have double and triple checked them. They are so freaking SLOW!! Or, I'm so slow on them. I lost 1.5mph over the course of all but the shortest ride (35 min), where I only lost 1mph. I'm super concerned about making the cutoff on my HIM in July because my run pace is abysmal. I need to be as fast as possible on the bike and swim to even have a chance at the run. So, back to the LBS I went and explained my situation. Purchased some Continental 4000s (again, damn tires are expensive!). I plan to train with the Gatorskins and then swap out for the 4000s for races (and the ride or two before the race to get used to them). Sound like a solid plan? Or did I just waste more money at the LBS? First race is on Saturday--local sprint that I've never been able to do because I'm always in Egypt.

RE:  tires.  The Gatorskins are slow, but they're indestructable.  The Conti 4000's are maybe the best all-around tire available as far as trading off durability vs. speed.  They have a pretty low rolling resistance and have shown to be pretty aero, too.  There are like a dozen threads here on BT that go into the details.

I ride solely on the 4000s, even on the trainer.  They are GREAT tires and sometimes you can pick them up cheaper (like $60 instead of $80) via internet sales.  I saw about 1 - 1.5 mph speed increase vs. my Conti Sports.  Another thing is that the 4000s are a LOT easier to fix a flat on - the bead on the Sports and the Gatorskins are really tough to get onto the wheel.

2016-05-23 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

So it's rained here every day so far this month - it just poured all weekend, and I mean ALL weekend.  If you watched the Preakness, then that's what it was like.  It's supposed to clear off and get summer-like here later this week.  Can't wait.

And with that comment, I got thunderstormed out of my swim today after about 20 minutes. 

And my Scosche Rhythm+ HRM is totally flaking out.  I'm going to send it back to them for an exchange.  Oh, well, first world problems, right?

2016-05-23 4:41 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Yesterday (Sunday) did my 2nd HIM (IM Barcelona 70.3) - first time a raced an IM branded race, they are expensive but now I know why, the organization was impecable. Drove to Barcelona after coming home from the south (Malaga) on Friday, spent Saturday picking up the race package, getting some crucial, "really" necessary IM merchandising and enjoying the beach and the great food - race was fantastic: water at 15C (a bit colder than what I am used to), the bike was tough (1200m elevation) with some athletes getting off the bike -never seen that-, and the run next to the beach under beautiful sun. I finished in 6.40 (race report to follow) with a big smile remembering all the training behind and all the big support that this group brings to my head!!

Juan
2016-05-23 4:45 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Hi all -

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly in regards to my swim this afternoon. Before working out, I did my shoulder exercises, so that helped.

The Good - I changed my breathing from right to left and that made a world of difference in terms of the amount of pain I felt when swimming.

The Bad - I couldn't get my stroke right. I tried to do the stroke the way my PT told me - but I couldn't get it just right.

The Ugly - The new fins didn't really work at all. I tried swimming on my side but it was so weird.

So I'm thankful for the help that my PT is giving me and looking forward to the additional tips he's going to give me later this week.

So incredibly thankful.

DQ
2016-05-23 9:38 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Qua17

Hi all -

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly in regards to my swim this afternoon. Before working out, I did my shoulder exercises, so that helped.

The Good - I changed my breathing from right to left and that made a world of difference in terms of the amount of pain I felt when swimming.

The Bad - I couldn't get my stroke right. I tried to do the stroke the way my PT told me - but I couldn't get it just right.

The Ugly - The new fins didn't really work at all. I tried swimming on my side but it was so weird.

So I'm thankful for the help that my PT is giving me and looking forward to the additional tips he's going to give me later this week.

So incredibly thankful.

DQ

David
Might be worth looking into Total Immersion training. I used to sink like a rock in pool. TI has lots of buoyancy drills. They work you up to being able to "slide and glide" on your side like a fish. It took me over a month or so to learn the technique, but it made swimming a joy and a pleasure.

2016-05-23 10:17 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, Vermont
Juan!!!! Congratulations!!!! I'm so proud of you and happy for you - well done!!!!
I hope you had some Tempranillo after!!!
I can't wait to read your race report. What an amazing venue.
2016-05-23 11:19 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Juancho

Yesterday (Sunday) did my 2nd HIM (IM Barcelona 70.3) - first time a raced an IM branded race, they are expensive but now I know why, the organization was impecable. Drove to Barcelona after coming home from the south (Malaga) on Friday, spent Saturday picking up the race package, getting some crucial, "really" necessary IM merchandising and enjoying the beach and the great food - race was fantastic: water at 15C (a bit colder than what I am used to), the bike was tough (1200m elevation) with some athletes getting off the bike -never seen that-, and the run next to the beach under beautiful sun. I finished in 6.40 (race report to follow) with a big smile remembering all the training behind and all the big support that this group brings to my head!!

Juan

Strong work Juan. Looking forward to your report.
2016-05-23 11:23 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Happy Monday Morning!!! (Is that an oxymoron?!?)

Anyway, Monday is here and there isn't anything we can do about it, so Happy Monday! I jumped right back into Week 9 of HIM training with masters swim class this morning (#194/400). 2800m of longer sets (MS was 5x200, 200 kick, 6x100, 500 pull). Our coach is on vacation this week, so sub coach. She likes long stuff. Coach likes sprint stuff. Planning a run this afternoon. Figuring I need to start my runs around noonish from now until end of July, just to get used to running at that time and in those temps. I can work my schedule to do that. Is it wise?

Extremely wise. Your body will thank you. I'd do all my weekend long runs in those conditions and give yourself time to get used to the change and heat. Make sure you hydrate before during and after, and begin incorporating fuel into your runs for your longer distances.
2016-05-24 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Juancho Yesterday (Sunday) did my 2nd HIM (IM Barcelona 70.3) - first time a raced an IM branded race, they are expensive but now I know why, the organization was impecable. Drove to Barcelona after coming home from the south (Malaga) on Friday, spent Saturday picking up the race package, getting some crucial, "really" necessary IM merchandising and enjoying the beach and the great food - race was fantastic: water at 15C (a bit colder than what I am used to), the bike was tough (1200m elevation) with some athletes getting off the bike -never seen that-, and the run next to the beach under beautiful sun. I finished in 6.40 (race report to follow) with a big smile remembering all the training behind and all the big support that this group brings to my head!! Juan

Awesome, just awesome.  Your attitude on race day makes the experience so enjoyable.

Now, race report or it didn't happen!! 

2016-05-24 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Hi all - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly in regards to my swim this afternoon. Before working out, I did my shoulder exercises, so that helped. The Good - I changed my breathing from right to left and that made a world of difference in terms of the amount of pain I felt when swimming. The Bad - I couldn't get my stroke right. I tried to do the stroke the way my PT told me - but I couldn't get it just right. The Ugly - The new fins didn't really work at all. I tried swimming on my side but it was so weird. So I'm thankful for the help that my PT is giving me and looking forward to the additional tips he's going to give me later this week. So incredibly thankful. DQ

Dave - it's going to take some time for you to adjust to the new breathing style, too.  You're changing your stroke AND your breathing, plus you haven't been in the pool in a while.  Swimming on my side is about impossible - you should see me trying to do 3-6-3 drills.

Give it time, take it easy, and enjoy the water.

2016-05-24 11:19 AM
in reply to: #5183426

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Signing off tomorrow morning until the 3rd for a fishing trip in the wilds of Canada with my dad & brother. From what I hear there won't be any bikes, pools, or running trails to be seen.

So, my goals for the next two weeks:
1) Catch some fish
2) Take advantage of no kids around to actually get some sleep
3) Don't get eaten by bears
2016-05-24 11:32 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Signing off tomorrow morning until the 3rd for a fishing trip in the wilds of Canada with my dad & brother. From what I hear there won't be any bikes, pools, or running trails to be seen.

1) Catch some fish

#jealous
2016-05-24 11:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I tried running today. I skipped two runs last week. I can feel my knee inflammation when I'm just sitting down resting. I can really feel it while running.When I run, every 10-20 feet, I get a slight twinge that I can run through most of the time. Sometimes, it persists for longer, and I walked for 30 seconds or so. Bottom line is that I have tweaked a tendon or ligament in my knee, and am going to have to quit running on it for it to heal properly before I can move forward. Obviously I hope this only needs a week or two, maybe a few weeks, before I'm up and running again.

Anyone ever have a history of knee problems? Mine is just an annoyance at this point, no real pain, but I can feel it's not right. The feeling is just to the inside of the front of my kneecap on my left leg, halfway between the front and side of the knee.

In the meantime, I think I'll blow the dust off my tri bike and see if cycling is a beneficial activity that I can substitute for running in the interim. If not, I'll be stuck doing body weight circuits in my yard until I get bored and just go fishing instead!

Edited by kevinbe 2016-05-24 11:51 AM
2016-05-24 11:49 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

So it's rained here every day so far this month - it just poured all weekend, and I mean ALL weekend.  If you watched the Preakness, then that's what it was like.  It's supposed to clear off and get summer-like here later this week.  Can't wait.

And with that comment, I got thunderstormed out of my swim today after about 20 minutes. 

And my Scosche Rhythm+ HRM is totally flaking out.  I'm going to send it back to them for an exchange.  Oh, well, first world problems, right?

I feel you on this Baltimore weather. It has been really depressing. Things are looking up for the rest of the week though!

I have been keeping up with messages on here but haven't been posting. I have still been having some glute pain, so haven't been running much. Last week I had to finish out my gym membership and was feeling amazing. I was in a really great sleep pattern, waking up before my alarm every morning but feeling refreshed and energetic throughout the day (regardless of the lame rain). Trying to get back into that this week. Monday morning was a struggle, and I woke up at 5am (before my alarm) this morning but have been dragging. Hoping for a strong run tomorrow morning followed by a swim in the afternoon.
2016-05-24 11:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Juancho

Juan

Nice work, Juan! Excited to see the RR

2016-05-24 12:01 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by kevinbe

1) Catch some fish

#jealous

Likewise! Have a great trip!
2016-05-24 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Swim in the lake, run in the shallows...have a great time!!

Are you doing a fly in fishing trip??

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens Signing off tomorrow morning until the 3rd for a fishing trip in the wilds of Canada with my dad & brother. From what I hear there won't be any bikes, pools, or running trails to be seen. So, my goals for the next two weeks: 1) Catch some fish 2) Take advantage of no kids around to actually get some sleep 3) Don't get eaten by bears

2016-05-24 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

As previously stated...no race report...it didn't happen... :-)

Great job!

Originally posted by Juancho Yesterday (Sunday) did my 2nd HIM (IM Barcelona 70.3) - first time a raced an IM branded race, they are expensive but now I know why, the organization was impecable. Drove to Barcelona after coming home from the south (Malaga) on Friday, spent Saturday picking up the race package, getting some crucial, "really" necessary IM merchandising and enjoying the beach and the great food - race was fantastic: water at 15C (a bit colder than what I am used to), the bike was tough (1200m elevation) with some athletes getting off the bike -never seen that-, and the run next to the beach under beautiful sun. I finished in 6.40 (race report to follow) with a big smile remembering all the training behind and all the big support that this group brings to my head!! Juan

2016-05-24 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well a miserable weekend of weather...a ton of rain, cold and windy. Snowfall warnings all around us. Luckily dodged them!

Ended up putting the cycle trainer tires back on...guess I should just leave on until June...

Either way I need to replace my rear tire so I will look for either the 4000's or the gatorskin for a replacement!

2016-05-24 1:12 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

DeLand, Florida
Juan - congrats that's awesome! Also very jealous of racing this time of year with great weather!

2016-05-24 1:17 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida
Jenn - ugh the hip pain... I have been to a PT (last summer). It worked for me, but he told me at the time that since I work sitting down all day all week every week that this would be a recurring issue.

Switched my bike ride from Sunday to Monday to take a day off after Saturday's maintenance run (4 miles - I love 5k training it's so quick). My right especially but both hips hurt by the last couple miles of a 15 mile ride. So I'm skipping my planned run for today and just swimming.

I have a road race to run Father's Day (planning on the 5k but haven't signed up yet), and otherwise I don't have a race until the end of July. So I have time now to get things worked out. I may have to go back to PT though, as the normal stretch/strengthen routine isn't working.
2016-05-24 3:21 PM

User image

, Vermont

1) Catch some fish

Sweet! Whereabouts are you going? My hubby and father-in-law go up to Gaspe Peninsula each year for a week of fly fishing for salmon. This year they're taking my oldest too. So cool.
2016-05-25 6:02 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Originally posted by aviatrix802
Originally posted by FourteenkittensSigning off tomorrow morning until the 3rd for a fishing trip in the wilds of Canada with my dad & brother. From what I hear there won't be any bikes, pools, or running trails to be seen. So, my goals for the next two weeks:1) Catch some fish2) Take advantage of no kids around to actually get some sleep3) Don't get eaten by bears
Sweet! Whereabouts are you going? My hubby and father-in-law go up to Gaspe Peninsula each year for a week of fly fishing for salmon. This year they're taking my oldest too. So cool.
To be honest, I have no idea, I left all the organizing to the old timers (this'll be my first trip). I know we fly to Winnipeg then catch one of those lake planes to our fishing spot. Should be fun.
2016-05-25 7:58 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by aviatrix802
Originally posted by FourteenkittensSigning off tomorrow morning until the 3rd for a fishing trip in the wilds of Canada with my dad & brother. From what I hear there won't be any bikes, pools, or running trails to be seen. So, my goals for the next two weeks:1) Catch some fish2) Take advantage of no kids around to actually get some sleep3) Don't get eaten by bears
To be honest, I have no idea, I left all the organizing to the old timers (this'll be my first trip). I know we fly to Winnipeg then catch one of those lake planes to our fishing spot. Should be fun.

Sounds epic. And definitely don't get eaten by bears.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6368 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17510 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.