BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-05-25 8:34 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Congrats on a great race Juan!!

Master's swim this morning for me (#197/400). I was really fading fast at the end, but made it through the main set of 8x200 with hard final 50s. I tried to keep up with the fastest guy in our lane today too, which was hard. Great workout. Yesterday was Monday's aborted run (sinus headache) plus the planned bike. Later today is another bike. Fingers crossed it stops raining so I can do it outside.

2016-05-25 10:04 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Congrats on a great race Juan!!

Master's swim this morning for me (#197/400). I was really fading fast at the end, but made it through the main set of 8x200 with hard final 50s. I tried to keep up with the fastest guy in our lane today too, which was hard. Great workout. Yesterday was Monday's aborted run (sinus headache) plus the planned bike. Later today is another bike. Fingers crossed it stops raining so I can do it outside.

Gretchen - Killer swim! While the last few laps may have hurt - pushing through only makes your muscle tougher and your mind stronger! Hope your sinuses get better (mine are killing me) and that you get that ride in today!
2016-05-25 10:07 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Signing off tomorrow morning until the 3rd for a fishing trip in the wilds of Canada with my dad & brother. From what I hear there won't be any bikes, pools, or running trails to be seen.

So, my goals for the next two weeks:
1) Catch some fish
2) Take advantage of no kids around to actually get some sleep
3) Don't get eaten by bears

Ran into a momma bear and her cubs once on a ride. Holy crap - that's the perfect way to get a good speedworkout in

Seriously - have a great time and enjoy the kid free time (that's the best part!).
2016-05-25 10:10 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

I tried running today. I skipped two runs last week. I can feel my knee inflammation when I'm just sitting down resting. I can really feel it while running.When I run, every 10-20 feet, I get a slight twinge that I can run through most of the time. Sometimes, it persists for longer, and I walked for 30 seconds or so. Bottom line is that I have tweaked a tendon or ligament in my knee, and am going to have to quit running on it for it to heal properly before I can move forward. Obviously I hope this only needs a week or two, maybe a few weeks, before I'm up and running again.

Anyone ever have a history of knee problems? Mine is just an annoyance at this point, no real pain, but I can feel it's not right. The feeling is just to the inside of the front of my kneecap on my left leg, halfway between the front and side of the knee.

In the meantime, I think I'll blow the dust off my tri bike and see if cycling is a beneficial activity that I can substitute for running in the interim. If not, I'll be stuck doing body weight circuits in my yard until I get bored and just go fishing instead!

Damn - seriously sorry to hear about your knee pain! If there is inflammation - be sure to takes some ibuphrophin and ice a few times per day. It might even benefit you to take a couple of ice baths to speed the healing. Another option is to partially freeze a beer and run it against your sore area until the beer melts (seriously - I have done this and it motivates me to ice which I HATE doing).

Get better soon!
2016-05-25 10:15 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Hi All - Just a quick check in...

Thanks to everyone's support, I'm finally eating better. While I've gained 25 pounds in the last three months, I have eaten well for the last three days. SO, that's a start. I've also been crushing my workouts and watching Ironman videos to get myself stroked up. There is nothing like the voice of Al Trautwig to get my blood pumping. I also changed my IM race from IMMD to IMNC so I will be doing the full while Scott does the half and gets my beer cold for when I cross the finish line.

I just got back from a hour long trail hike and am off this afternoon to my angelic PT!

ALSO, if you are the praying kind, I could use your prayers. I'm waiting to hear back on a job I interviewed for last two and I have two more interviews this week. I think my age (they have to pay me more) is working against me and I need to stop hearing the words, "We are really sorry to have to tell you this... You're a great teacher, but..." So please send up some prayers or just keep your finger crossed. Thanks!

DQ
2016-05-26 8:47 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by Qua17

I also changed my IM race from IMMD to IMNC so I will be doing the full while Scott does the half and gets my beer cold for when I cross the finish line.

I'll keep the beer cold for both of you as I will be spectating the race. Well, the 70.3 anyway. Which should leave plenty of time to eat a celebratory meal with my wife, see some sights around the area, buy some beer and ice, and chill them down for you.
Seriously a 70.3 is such a major undertaking as it is, and we always talk about half and full Ironmans in the same breath like we would Sprint and Olympic. And while roughly doubling a Sprint does indeed get you an Olympic, it's still tiny in comparison to a full IM!

2016-05-26 8:54 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Gentlemen (and ladies who have any insider tips on men's tri gear)... I have a need for recommendations.

I've been a loyal DeSoto customer for a while now, I love all the stuff I've bought so far (T1 wetsuit components, Carrera Tri shorts, cycling jersey) and everything has fit great. With the extra 30% off sale (see banner ad), I grabbed a Carrera Tri Top in what should have been my size based on the same measurements I used for everything else. Even allowing for the fact that tri tops should be more snug than other things, my size Large trip top is comically small. I can't return or exchange it because it was on super-sale, so I'm stuck with it.

I need recommendations for brands for Tri tops that fit true to size. I have my BDAS Jakroo top, which is actually also comically small after going by recommended size for measurements, yet still not as bad as my Carrera. I want it snug of course, to be able to swim in it especially. I just want something with material forgiving enough that I can breathe when I put on a size L.

Thanks!
2016-05-26 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I have found Zoot and Sugoi fit pretty much to size. I buy large straight across the board, no problems. Just be aware of as some models do have the "pro fit" designation...which suffice to say makes you look like a 20lb sausage stuffed in a 5lb sausage casing... :-)

Originally posted by firebert Gentlemen (and ladies who have any insider tips on men's tri gear)... I have a need for recommendations. I've been a loyal DeSoto customer for a while now, I love all the stuff I've bought so far (T1 wetsuit components, Carrera Tri shorts, cycling jersey) and everything has fit great. With the extra 30% off sale (see banner ad), I grabbed a Carrera Tri Top in what should have been my size based on the same measurements I used for everything else. Even allowing for the fact that tri tops should be more snug than other things, my size Large trip top is comically small. I can't return or exchange it because it was on super-sale, so I'm stuck with it. I need recommendations for brands for Tri tops that fit true to size. I have my BDAS Jakroo top, which is actually also comically small after going by recommended size for measurements, yet still not as bad as my Carrera. I want it snug of course, to be able to swim in it especially. I just want something with material forgiving enough that I can breathe when I put on a size L. Thanks!

2016-05-26 9:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by firebert Gentlemen (and ladies who have any insider tips on men's tri gear)... I have a need for recommendations. I've been a loyal DeSoto customer for a while now, I love all the stuff I've bought so far (T1 wetsuit components, Carrera Tri shorts, cycling jersey) and everything has fit great. With the extra 30% off sale (see banner ad), I grabbed a Carrera Tri Top in what should have been my size based on the same measurements I used for everything else. Even allowing for the fact that tri tops should be more snug than other things, my size Large trip top is comically small. I can't return or exchange it because it was on super-sale, so I'm stuck with it. I need recommendations for brands for Tri tops that fit true to size. I have my BDAS Jakroo top, which is actually also comically small after going by recommended size for measurements, yet still not as bad as my Carrera. I want it snug of course, to be able to swim in it especially. I just want something with material forgiving enough that I can breathe when I put on a size L. Thanks!

I'm in the same situation with the DeSoto stuff - love the shorts (carrera and Forza), can't wear the tops.  I wear my tri club top which I think is Louis Garneau.

My avatar is DeSoto Carreras plus the LG tri top.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2016-05-26 10:00 AM
2016-05-26 10:07 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by thor67

I have found Zoot and Sugoi fit pretty much to size. I buy large straight across the board, no problems. Just be aware of as some models do have the "pro fit" designation...which suffice to say makes you look like a 20lb sausage stuffed in a 5lb sausage casing... :-)

Yeah, pro fit, that must be the reason!!! 

I'd be scared to death to get into my tri top right now.  Let's just say I've gained a pound or two *cough, ten, cough* since then. 

2016-05-26 10:25 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Hey everyone, 

Just a quick check in. I've had some ups and down lately. I finally got things sorted with insurance and got the crashed bike covered. I got a crash replacement and upgraded to Di2. I also picked up some TT bars from a friend and a Di2 climbing shifter that I Macgyvered into TT shifters. So thats good news.

I've lost some more weight. Down to 72.6kg (about 160lbs) now. Hoping to lose another 10lbs by the middle of August for a big 6 stage race I'm doing in Quebec. So thats good. 

I drove 3 hours to a race near Tremblant over the week but got delayed because Google tried to take me along the closed course to get to the start. I ended up missing the start of my race. I chased by myself for 60km before decided not to bother with the second loop. That was a bummer. 

My collar bone is still clicking which means the bones haven't begun to fuse yet. The doc warned me about this. I might have to deal with it until Fall and then get a plate put in. Also a bummer. Sprinting is very painfull but I can ride out of the saddle with only minor discomfort now. 

This weekend I'm heading to Killington for a stage race. We'll see how that goes.. 

In triathlon news my wife came third in her age group (she's in the 30-39 group for the first time this year) at her season opener this past weekend. So that was awesome. I'm still trying to decide which triathlon I want to do this year. I usually have time to train for one in the middle of the season when there is a lull in racing. I really want to podium in a triathlon. I think I can do it. My swim is pretty good. My bike... is well... my bike.. and if I train properly for the run, I hope I can do well there too. 

Here's a pic of my rebuilt Argon 18 Nitrogen. Because of the crash and my decision to replace the mechanical groupset with Di2 I have affectionately named this bike Lee Majors. It has a reversible seat post for for both road and TT positions to I have two setups with two wheelsets (picked up a new set of Woven Precision 45/45 for hilly road races) and still have my Flo 60/90 for crits and TTs. 

(13265944_10153612614672113_2805654787693515061_n.jpg)

(13237870_10153612614662113_2958669315116365812_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
13265944_10153612614672113_2805654787693515061_n.jpg (131KB - 4 downloads)
13237870_10153612614662113_2958669315116365812_n.jpg (135KB - 2 downloads)

2016-05-26 10:46 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

New user
Madrid
Here is the RR and the picture for the "non-believers"

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=282...

Alan, great to hear you are back.
Dave, fingers crossed and prayers, hope this is the one!

(78_3rd-80879-DIGITAL_HIGHRES-1289_055010-1245993.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
78_3rd-80879-DIGITAL_HIGHRES-1289_055010-1245993.JPG (1539KB - 4 downloads)
2016-05-26 11:17 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Originally posted by Juancho Here is the RR and the picture for the "non-believers" http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=282... Alan, great to hear you are back. Dave, fingers crossed and prayers, hope this is the one!

Looking good, Juan!

2016-05-26 11:50 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by adempsey10

Here's a pic of my rebuilt Argon 18 Nitrogen. Because of the crash and my decision to replace the mechanical groupset with Di2 I have affectionately named this bike Lee Majors. It has a reversible seat post for for both road and TT positions to I have two setups with two wheelsets (picked up a new set of Woven Precision 45/45 for hilly road races) and still have my Flo 60/90 for crits and TTs. 

Love the bike pics - how's the fit feel on those?  It's been my experience (granted, on a much lesser quality ride) that if you try to go between road and tri geometry on the same bike you wind up doing neither well.

That sucks on the race...ugh!

2016-05-26 12:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Love the bike pics - how's the fit feel on those?  It's been my experience (granted, on a much lesser quality ride) that if you try to go between road and tri geometry on the same bike you wind up doing neither well.

The fit is great either way. The reversible seat post makes setting up a good TT position very easy. I already ride with a slammed stem on my road setup so I just needed a shorter stem on the TT setup to make bring my position in. I don't really ride the traditional Tri aero position. I prefer the more uncomfortable but aerodynamically better TT position (rounded back, knees nearly coming in contact with elbows.), I feel better there and I get more power out of it. 

2016-05-26 12:35 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

The fit is great either way. The reversible seat post makes setting up a good TT position very easy. I already ride with a slammed stem on my road setup so I just needed a shorter stem on the TT setup to make bring my position in. I don't really ride the traditional Tri aero position. I prefer the more uncomfortable but aerodynamically better TT position (rounded back, knees nearly coming in contact with elbows.), I feel better there and I get more power out of it. 

Ah, the young and nimble of back!!! 

Thanks for the info...I have a "one bike budget" and I'm trying to maximize what I get out of it.  Right now my roadie has a zero-offset seatpost and clip on tri bars (with shifters on the hoods).  It's not the best setup but gets me through until I'm ready to drop $3K on a bike.

2016-05-26 12:59 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice bike, Alan!! Sorry to hear about your clavicle. I've had several friends break them and they can be a real pain to get healed. One friend just started some sort of electro-stimulation therapy after surgery failed to result in a fusion.

This morning's bike ride was interrupted by a huge thunderstorm. I didn't quite get out of the house as early as I wanted to, but did get 90min outside before the wind convinced me a storm was a'commin. Made it home just before the sky opened up. Ended up finishing out my ride with two hours on the trainer (after changing my tires). Outdoor portion of the ride was on my new 4000s--so nice!! I felt like I was flying! Splits showed 1.5mph better than the gatorskins. So glad I got them before my race this weekend!!
2016-05-26 2:36 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Thanks Thor and Mike on the Tri top recommendations.

A little post script, I had contacted DeSoto customer service on the off chance they would waive their 'no returns or exchanges on sale items' policy on a faithful customer, and sure enough they're going to exchange for an XL. Which will fit like a Medium and still be comically small but at least I'll be able to breathe Now I just need to drop the pounds like Alan!!

Zoot and Sugoi - will check out both. My first pair of tri shorts are Sugoi. I still wear them for training and race in my DeSotos like Mike. I actually like my (inexpensive) Sugoi Tri shorts better on the bike than my Canari full cycling shorts, which give me hot spots.
2016-05-26 2:41 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Alan - always great to hear from you! A 6 stage race in Quebec huh? Would that be the continental team attended Tour De Quebec? I saw it on TV last year! That's just awesome.

Sorry to hear the clavicle is still acting up, but glad the ability to ride is mostly back.

And, I LOVE YOUR BIKE!!!! A couple dealer sites I frequent sell Argon frames built up with options for groupsets. And one of them has (I believe) the E 118 frame built up as a tri bike with 105 components and basic wheels (Shimano RS11s I think) at around 2 grand US. That is a very attractive price point for a really nice bike at the 105 level.
2016-05-26 2:44 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Juan - looking good indeed!

Can anyone else open the RR? Whenever I click the link, it makes me log in, then redirects me to the BT home page.
2016-05-26 3:23 PM

User image

Originally posted by firebert Alan - always great to hear from you! A 6 stage race in Quebec huh? Would that be the continental team attended Tour De Quebec? I saw it on TV last year! That's just awesome. Sorry to hear the clavicle is still acting up, but glad the ability to ride is mostly back. And, I LOVE YOUR BIKE!!!! A couple dealer sites I frequent sell Argon frames built up with options for groupsets. And one of them has (I believe) the E 118 frame built up as a tri bike with 105 components and basic wheels (Shimano RS11s I think) at around 2 grand US. That is a very attractive price point for a really nice bike at the 105 level.

Yea. I love this bike so far and Argon is a good company to deal with. They got me a crash replacement frame for the half the cost I originally paid. They're a Canadian company so right now they'd be a good bang for the buck for American buyers with the way our dollar is right now. 

The race is called the Grand Prix Matapedia I think. I don't think our team is doing TdQ. We're doing Tour de Beauce which is a UCI continental race and Saguenay (also UCI conti). I probably won't be at either (unless I tear it up at Killington this weekend). 

2016-05-26 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Funny, one of my first pair were sugoi piston tri shorts still have them. I just ordered 2 pair of tri shorts and the "lumberjack" cycling jersey from Sugoi...Got a smokin' deal(60% off)

Good to hear they will exchange!

Originally posted by firebert Thanks Thor and Mike on the Tri top recommendations. A little post script, I had contacted DeSoto customer service on the off chance they would waive their 'no returns or exchanges on sale items' policy on a faithful customer, and sure enough they're going to exchange for an XL. Which will fit like a Medium and still be comically small but at least I'll be able to breathe Now I just need to drop the pounds like Alan!! Zoot and Sugoi - will check out both. My first pair of tri shorts are Sugoi. I still wear them for training and race in my DeSotos like Mike. I actually like my (inexpensive) Sugoi Tri shorts better on the bike than my Canari full cycling shorts, which give me hot spots.

2016-05-26 4:57 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by firebert

Can anyone else open the RR? Whenever I click the link, it makes me log in, then redirects me to the BT home page.

I'm having the same problem!
2016-05-26 6:33 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by firebert

I'm having the same problem!

I'm still questioning whether this even happened.
2016-05-26 6:35 PM

User image

, Vermont
4,250 yds (2.4 miles) in the pool today at a nice even pace. Hungry. Now I've done the distance so the mental piece of that is there now.
Try to get my z1 easy spin in tonight but did a lot of running with Mini Milers group today and now going out to play catch with my youngest before it gets too dark.
I'm supposed to do an Oly this weekend according to my plan so I will simulate the bike and run but can't do the swim for logistical reasons so while I'm supposed to be in a mini taper for it, I did 2.4 today and may try to squeeze in a 10 x 100 + Wu & Cd tomorrow instead.

Picked up my road bike today - swapped the cassette out to get a feel for something I may do on the tri bike. I was looking to put an 11/32 cassette on my bike but they only had an 11/34 in stock in the Shimano I wanted, wouldn't get the 11/32 in until next week and with my impatience and desire to ride the course next Thursday I put the 11/34 on. Dang, I should be able to go straight up a wall with that thing....or eventually put it on my mtn bike. hahaha.
Alan, if you want a nice easy, slow endurance ride to stretch out after the stage race this weekend, I hope to ride the MT course next Thursday. My friend can't make it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6321 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17376 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.