BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-08-21 5:11 PM
in reply to: #5196028

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Med tent - hypothermia. Go figure. Saw two major crashes and multiple ambulances.
More later, still recovering. Felt good on the swim but a little slower than anticipated. Good swells way out. Felt good on the bike aside from horizontal rain, just physiaclly was shaking the entire time. I think first split was around 3:20 or so. On loop 2 stopped at special needs - tried getting my nutrition restocked and was shaking so bad I dropped a bunch. Hit the head and was going back out, passed the med tent and an EMT commented my lips were blue. I went in for a thermal blanket and was shaking terribly. They did a quick glucose test - seemed good. Couldn't get me warm - sent me to lower med tent. I'm okay, back in hotel. Was dizzy and nauseous but hot shower helped warm me up. More later. I was feeling good otherwise, confident on the bike.
EMT and a volunteer both told me they almost cancelled the race today for the weather. Said this is a record number of DNF's. Hubby saw many guys ride into transition shaking their heads deciding to not do the second loop. I so wanted this one.
Time to try to eat something and go cheer my sil on!

2016-08-21 5:53 PM
in reply to: #5196046

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Jenn--sounds terrible!! Sorry you had such rough conditions. Glad to hear you are ok.
2016-08-21 9:29 PM
in reply to: #5196049

User image

, Vermont
Sis in law finished! 14:07! So proud of her and though I didn't get to hear Mike Reilly say my name, I was there to cheer her at the finish and hear him call hers!
2016-08-22 2:28 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid
Smart decision Jenn, sounds like terrible weather! I was following you on the web and though the system was not updating your times on the bike... Glad to hear you are fine, and start looking in the future. Congrats to your sis-in-law!

Juan
2016-08-22 7:51 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Juancho

Nicole, you do love your brother: 12h drive in a weekend! (...or the party was great!)

Juan

It's love...the party was not that exciting hahaha
2016-08-22 7:57 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Wow, Jenn, I am glad you are okay! I'm sure it is disappointing not to finish but it sounds like the conditions were really against you. A record number of DNFs is not surprising. I almost feel as though you should get a little discount next year since they could've cancelled and didn't, haha but I'm sure that won't be the case.

Hopefully you've warmed up by now with some good beer or wine!

2016-08-22 8:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a pretty good weekend of training. Swam Thursday and Saturday, although I didn't feel very strong. I'm hoping my swim tomorrow I will be able to get up to a mile and feel really strong. I ran Saturday morning before my swim, so think that may have affected it. Felt great on the run though, and ran about 9 minute pace and felt really great. Woke up this morning and did a warm up jog, then 4 x 2 minutes hard with 1 minute walking in between. I was about 30 seconds/mile faster than the last time I did this workout. Next time I do it I hope to go a little longer.

Goals for this week:
Swim and run 3x
Eat lean, clean and green (schedule out meals for the week today)
Walk to work 2-3 times this week
2016-08-22 11:59 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Coachless master's swim class again this morning. Ladder of 500, 400, 300, 200, 100s, 50s. 2400m total in all

I'm traveling to Phoenix for work this week, so my goals are kinda up in the air right now. Don't know if we will have access to the hotel's gym facilities (which includes a 20m lap pool) because they charge a $49/day "resort fee" on top of the nightly rate. Our group isn't paying that resort fee because it is a government group and they negotiated it out, but I don't know if that means I'll get to use the gym anyway, or not. I hope so. Phoenix is supposed to be 100-105F all week, so outdoor workouts are gonna suck. Packed for all eventualities, which means I have more workout clothing than I do regular clothing!

Goals (subject to change depending on gym situation):
1.) keep eating in check despite week of restaurant meals
2.) swim 3x
3.) bike 2x
4.) run 3x
2016-08-22 12:19 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

What part of Phoenix are you staying in? Love Phoenix! Lots of great beer, biking and hiking!

Originally posted by drfoodlove Coachless master's swim class again this morning. Ladder of 500, 400, 300, 200, 100s, 50s. 2400m total in all I'm traveling to Phoenix for work this week, so my goals are kinda up in the air right now. Don't know if we will have access to the hotel's gym facilities (which includes a 20m lap pool) because they charge a $49/day "resort fee" on top of the nightly rate. Our group isn't paying that resort fee because it is a government group and they negotiated it out, but I don't know if that means I'll get to use the gym anyway, or not. I hope so. Phoenix is supposed to be 100-105F all week, so outdoor workouts are gonna suck. Packed for all eventualities, which means I have more workout clothing than I do regular clothing! Goals (subject to change depending on gym situation): 1.) keep eating in check despite week of restaurant meals 2.) swim 3x 3.) bike 2x 4.) run 3x

2016-08-22 5:15 PM
in reply to: #5196078

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thor--we are by the airport. Hotel website says 6miles. I know nothing about Phoenix. I'll probably still know nothing about Phoenix after this trip. Four days of meetings from 8:30-5 and the 6:30-9. Ugh!!!
2016-08-22 11:54 PM
in reply to: #5196204

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Made it to Phoenix after nearly missing my flight because I was sitting at the wrong gate (dumb!!). Thor--we are at the AZ Grand Resirt and Spa. Didn't arrive until after dark, but it looks pretty nice. Already made it to the pool for a quick pre-bedtime swim. Unfortunately, it was marred by a couple having a knock down, drag out shouting match that ended with the word divorce. So, not as relaxing as I had hoped.

2016-08-23 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well if you skip a session there is Phoenix/sonoroan Ale Brewing on

3002 E Washington St, Phoenix, AZ 85034, USA

Sleepy dog brewing

1920 E University Dr #104, Tempe, AZ 85281, United States

Apparently there is a 4 peaks tasting room in Tempe close to you.

2401 S Wilson St, Tempe, AZ 85282, United States

Or the restaurant is good at:

1340 E 8th St #104, Tempe, AZ 85281, United States

Most of the Whole foods have a great happy hour with a ton of beers on tap.

As for hiking/running South Mountain has some great trails. Just make sure you are well hydrated and take a ton of water!!

Originally posted by drfoodlove Thor--we are by the airport. Hotel website says 6miles. I know nothing about Phoenix. I'll probably still know nothing about Phoenix after this trip. Four days of meetings from 8:30-5 and the 6:30-9. Ugh!!!

2016-08-23 9:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
So post-race the discussions started. I saw multiple bike crashes on the first loop, particularly on Chemin Duplessis there were multiple ambulances and police cars. I saw bodies on the ground. My sis in law said on her second loop there was another accident in the same spot and also out on route 117 involving multiple people; she saw lots of blood on the ground and a guy laying there in a torn up tri kit all bloodied. Apparently on Duplessis there was a 15 cyclist crash - I heard that from a few people. Crazy day. I stopped with the beginnings of hypothermia - lips and hands and feet were blue/white and I was shaking uncontrollably. I couldn't stop pedaling on the downhills as my legs were shaking so badly I almost went down a few times. It was interesting.
With all that being said; the venue is amazingly beautiful and I will return. The course is challenging but very fair (though I have nothing to compare it to for long distance). My husband and others are trying to convince me to do IMMD now since it's not closed and I'm essentially trained. I would very much miss having someone to "do" the race with. I'm up in the air. I'm looking at a HIM on Labor Day weekend I've been wanting to do.
The experience was great and I've learned to not trust forecast temps AT ALL. I get cold easily and I would have had no problem if I had been wearing my thermal arm and leg warmers - but who thinks of that when it's forecast to be in the mid 70's (it never came close to those temps).
Not finishing is very raw with me right now as I have never not finished something...ever, and I've gone over and over if I could have continued on. One girl I've spoken with did continue on by wearing a garbage bag on the bike but she was vomiting on the run and ended up in the hospital (just released this morning) after finishing in 16:33. Hmmm. I'll be back, count on it.

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-08-23 10:02 AM
2016-08-23 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 So post-race the discussions started. I saw multiple bike crashes on the first loop, particularly on Chemin Duplessis there were multiple ambulances and police cars. I saw bodies on the ground. My sis in law said on her second loop there was another accident in the same spot and also out on route 117 involving multiple people; she saw lots of blood on the ground and a guy laying there in a torn up tri kit all bloodied. Apparently on Duplessis there was a 15 cyclist crash - I heard that from a few people. Crazy day. I stopped with the beginnings of hypothermia - lips and hands and feet were blue/white and I was shaking uncontrollably. I couldn't stop pedaling on the downhills as my legs were shaking so badly I almost went down a few times. It was interesting. With all that being said; the venue is amazingly beautiful and I will return. The course is challenging but very fair (though I have nothing to compare it to for long distance). My husband and others are trying to convince me to do IMMD now since it's not closed and I'm essentially trained. I would very much miss having someone to "do" the race with. I'm up in the air. I'm looking at a HIM on Labor Day weekend I've been wanting to do. The experience was great and I've learned to not trust forecast temps AT ALL. I get cold easily and I would have had no problem if I had been wearing my thermal arm and leg warmers - but who thinks of that when it's forecast to be in the mid 70's (it never came close to those temps). Not finishing is very raw with me right now as I have never not finished something...ever, and I've gone over and over if I could have continued on. One girl I've spoken with did continue on by wearing a garbage bag on the bike but she was vomiting on the run and ended up in the hospital (just released this morning) after finishing in 16:33. Hmmm. I'll be back, count on it.

Jenn, you made a really wise decision.  It's just a race.  Yeah, I know it sucks that you had that long (and sometimes frustrating) build-up and didn't get the payoff, but you learned a lot about training and yourself and kept a great spirit throughout the tough parts. 

IMMD is like the opposite of IMMT - usually warm, pancake flat, windy as hell.  That's about the best you'll get for weather conditions around here...while it's becoming Fall up where you are, we're just cooling off from Summer.  Hell, since you're trained, might as well have at it!

2016-08-23 10:41 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by aviatrix802 So post-race the discussions started. I saw multiple bike crashes on the first loop, particularly on Chemin Duplessis there were multiple ambulances and police cars. I saw bodies on the ground. My sis in law said on her second loop there was another accident in the same spot and also out on route 117 involving multiple people; she saw lots of blood on the ground and a guy laying there in a torn up tri kit all bloodied. Apparently on Duplessis there was a 15 cyclist crash - I heard that from a few people. Crazy day. I stopped with the beginnings of hypothermia - lips and hands and feet were blue/white and I was shaking uncontrollably. I couldn't stop pedaling on the downhills as my legs were shaking so badly I almost went down a few times. It was interesting. With all that being said; the venue is amazingly beautiful and I will return. The course is challenging but very fair (though I have nothing to compare it to for long distance). My husband and others are trying to convince me to do IMMD now since it's not closed and I'm essentially trained. I would very much miss having someone to "do" the race with. I'm up in the air. I'm looking at a HIM on Labor Day weekend I've been wanting to do. The experience was great and I've learned to not trust forecast temps AT ALL. I get cold easily and I would have had no problem if I had been wearing my thermal arm and leg warmers - but who thinks of that when it's forecast to be in the mid 70's (it never came close to those temps). Not finishing is very raw with me right now as I have never not finished something...ever, and I've gone over and over if I could have continued on. One girl I've spoken with did continue on by wearing a garbage bag on the bike but she was vomiting on the run and ended up in the hospital (just released this morning) after finishing in 16:33. Hmmm. I'll be back, count on it.

Jenn, you made a really wise decision.  It's just a race.  Yeah, I know it sucks that you had that long (and sometimes frustrating) build-up and didn't get the payoff, but you learned a lot about training and yourself and kept a great spirit throughout the tough parts. 

IMMD is like the opposite of IMMT - usually warm, pancake flat, windy as hell.  That's about the best you'll get for weather conditions around here...while it's becoming Fall up where you are, we're just cooling off from Summer.  Hell, since you're trained, might as well have at it!

Jenn, if you make it down her for IMMD, let me know! Maybe we can meet up somewhere for a drink or some food or both!

I agree that you definitely made the right decision. I'm not sure finishing is worth a 2 night hospital visit...and now you know how to prepare for the next one and have extra motivation!
2016-08-23 10:26 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hello from Phoenix!!! Good news is that I'm not required to go to any of the evening sessions, so I might just get to see some of Phoenix after all! Tonight I walked to a grocery store to buy food for breakfast and lunch. The resort prices will drive you over per diem rates in a heartbeat!

Run this morning before it got to hot. Ran around the resort golf course, which was nice. Ran into a bunch of dog owners letting their dogs off leash on one of the holes. Probably not so nice for the course, but I had fun watching the dogs play! Tonight after dinner I went to do some laps on the pool, but accidentally inserted myself right in the middle of a senior citizen water aerobics class. They invited me to join them and I did, cause I was already wet and why the heck not? Well, I have to say, I think I crushed it. Lol.

2016-08-24 2:56 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
"Senior citizen water aerobics", this is truly cross-training! hahaha
Enjoy Phoenix!

Juan
2016-08-24 8:55 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Water Aerobics sounds fun!

Swam last night, although it got cut a little short b/c I got there later than I wanted and my lessons had to start. I ran the mile there though and walked home after (I was quite tired). Arms still aren't feeling super strong in the swim.

The bf and I did a boot camp workout this morning. I haven't been leading my regular boot camps b/c I've been focusing on running and swimming, but this morning made me realize how much I miss them, and they really help so much with triathlons (core strength and such). I kicked his butt too, so that was fun I think I'm going to start them up again, especially since I've been swimming in the afternoons, so it would give me a double workout on days I'm swimming later.

A little more than a month out from my triathlon and I'm not feeling quite there yet, so it's time to ramp it up a bit!
2016-08-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: #5196476

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole--boot camp sounds fun!

I hit the gym this morning and put in a little time on a recumbent bike. Unfortunately, that and an old Schwinn Aerodyne were all they had. I didn't feel like generating hurricane force winds, so recumbent it was. Not the best workout, but something. Afterwards I had planned to jump in the pool (wearing Tri shorts), but I forgot my goggles, so I did some weights instead. I haven't lifted in a while, so I'm probably going to be sore. Tonight there is a Tri group that swims at the resort. I'm going to try to join them for a workout if we finish our day in time. If not, another night swim for me.
2016-08-25 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well after pretty much taking over a month off, I have started back with some exercise. Been having foot issues...could be the extra weight I am carrying??

Finally decided to hop on scale....2freakin'40. Sunday was my first way in. I want to be done to about 215 by Christmas...190 by June hopefully.

Bought some used Tacx Galleria Rollers. Holy $hit, it was an interesting start. My family came to watch me the first few times for entertainment...Think I finally have it done pat but I am still setting up in the doorway so I don't fall...

Now I don't have to switch out tires for trainer/outdoor rides!

2016-08-25 9:44 AM
in reply to: #5196527

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thor--keep us posted on the rollers. I have been thinking about getting a set for a while, but I'm afraid that might be the straw that breaks the camel's back in terms of quantity of gear inside the house!

I went out for my first run ever with another person (besides races). I've always worried that if be too slow for the other person. I was, but she was cool about it. We ended up walking the last 1.2miles because we were going faster walking than running. After we got back I felt great, so I hit the pool for a quick swim. 1400yds in 30min and I felt like I was swimming at a pace I could hold all day. It may not be fast to some, but for me it is like lightening compared to the 3:50/100yd I was swimming when I first started four years ago.

Off to meetings for the day. Hope everyone is well!

2016-08-26 9:01 AM
in reply to: #5196699

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I went to another senior water aerobics class last night. It wasn't nearly as much fun as the first night. Nor was it as good of a workout. Oh well.

Up this morning for a sunrise swim. I forgot my watch, so I only have estimates--about 40 minutes and anywhere between 1200-1600m. I'm completely unsure of the distance, which drives me crazy!

Heading home today. I won't make it in until about 3am, but at least I'll be home.
2016-08-26 9:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Swam yesterday afternoon. Was doing 100m intervals at about 1:50 (started with pull buoy, then took it out once I started to get tired). Did 9 intervals before a swim team came and a few of us tried circle swimming. This would've been fine, but the girl in front of me wouldn't let me get by her, so I started doing 50m intervals and just waiting until she was at the other end of the pool to start. I did 6 of those and then got out to get ready for my lessons. Felt pretty good though! Plan on swimming again tomorrow morning and am going to try just swimming for as long as I can without stopping.

Was going to run this morning, but the opportunity to play a little volleyball before work came up and I couldn't resist. Got about 2 hours in before rushing off to shower and head to work. Hoping to get a longer (5ish miles) run in this weekend, and possibly a bike ride!
2016-08-26 9:54 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Swam yesterday afternoon. Was doing 100m intervals at about 1:50 (started with pull buoy, then took it out once I started to get tired). Did 9 intervals before a swim team came and a few of us tried circle swimming. This would've been fine, but the girl in front of me wouldn't let me get by her, so I started doing 50m intervals and just waiting until she was at the other end of the pool to start. I did 6 of those and then got out to get ready for my lessons. Felt pretty good though! Plan on swimming again tomorrow morning and am going to try just swimming for as long as I can without stopping. Was going to run this morning, but the opportunity to play a little volleyball before work came up and I couldn't resist. Got about 2 hours in before rushing off to shower and head to work. Hoping to get a longer (5ish miles) run in this weekend, and possibly a bike ride!

Wait, you were leaving on 1:50??  That's pretty good for SCM.  And yeah, the Canton Merritt pool doesn't lend itself well to circle swimming.  Most of those "swimmers" haven't a clue about sharing a lane (and seem to get aggravated at the suggestion...). 

And some insider info...rumor has it the pool reconstruction starts Sept 19, so we're pool homeless after that unless you swim Masters (they and the kids' teams will be over at Digital Harbor HS in the evenings).  We'll be moving to the Towson site for now. 

2016-08-26 11:55 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Swam yesterday afternoon. Was doing 100m intervals at about 1:50 (started with pull buoy, then took it out once I started to get tired). Did 9 intervals before a swim team came and a few of us tried circle swimming. This would've been fine, but the girl in front of me wouldn't let me get by her, so I started doing 50m intervals and just waiting until she was at the other end of the pool to start. I did 6 of those and then got out to get ready for my lessons. Felt pretty good though! Plan on swimming again tomorrow morning and am going to try just swimming for as long as I can without stopping. Was going to run this morning, but the opportunity to play a little volleyball before work came up and I couldn't resist. Got about 2 hours in before rushing off to shower and head to work. Hoping to get a longer (5ish miles) run in this weekend, and possibly a bike ride!

Wait, you were leaving on 1:50??  That's pretty good for SCM.  And yeah, the Canton Merritt pool doesn't lend itself well to circle swimming.  Most of those "swimmers" haven't a clue about sharing a lane (and seem to get aggravated at the suggestion...). 

And some insider info...rumor has it the pool reconstruction starts Sept 19, so we're pool homeless after that unless you swim Masters (they and the kids' teams will be over at Digital Harbor HS in the evenings).  We'll be moving to the Towson site for now. 

No I'm sorry, I'm new to this interval thing. I was leaving on 2:15. I swam them in 1:50, haha, so big difference.

Yeah I haven't had to circle swim there often, but any time I have it has not been a pleasant experience. Either people got upset at the IDEA of it (how dare I suggest they share a lane...I should just sit there and twiddle my thumbs until they are done!), or they just don't know how to share/if someone is on your butt for a full lap, you should probably just let them go (she wasn't even flip-turning, so it's not like waiting an extra second or two would've thrown her off that much). Oh well.

Yes I am aware! I think you were away when I posted about that a bit ago. I have been told "end of September with the possibility of it being delayed into October." Once it closes, I guess I will be going to the DAC for my laps. I am going to switch to Towson for my lessons (and will obvi get some laps in there too when I have to go up for lessons). No bueno. I just told a friend about the pool closing this morning and pretty much ruined her morning. For a half hour (while playing vball) she kept saying "Nicole, I'm still really upset at that news."

I guess we just have to wait patiently until the awesome new pools are done!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6366 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17489 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.