BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-08-27 3:17 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Hey, Nicole and Mike, I am perusing hotels in the Cambridge area - slim pickin's at this point. Any recommendations - maybe towns near by that have decent roads to get to Cambridge?

2016-08-27 3:59 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
I'm looking at a Holiday inn in Delmar, MD (near Salisbury) and it's a 40 minute drive in.
2016-08-27 4:34 PM

User image

, Vermont
Okay...so I just signed up for a HIM next weekend in Lake George (Big George); a race I've been wanting to do for a couple of years and didn't think I'd be able to after IMMT...but that turned into a long training day, so why not.
I have booked a hotel in MD on the off-chance I pull the trigger and sign up for IMMD on October 1st.
I know, I'm a little nuts and perhaps irrational right now....but we are a little kooky up here in our corner of the world...it's in the maple syrup I think.
The question is...do I want to swim with the jellies....
2016-08-27 10:28 PM
in reply to: #5196812

User image

, California
Hi all. I just typed a very long post and I think it was lost cause of my phone or Internet. Ughhhhh. Four months dropped off the face of the Earth and I finally come back and post and it's lost. So anyway here is the cliff notes

Sorry for disappearing. The group is made as a way to support each other. and even though I had life happen including a quick international move for a family of four and a job change made me stop training and drop my race goals for this year (all in Asia I'm back in US) and I didn't need support anymore, others still do. So anyway, for that again Sorry all!

Congrats to everyone for trying to reach their goals. Congrats to everyone that reached theirs. Sorry to hear about those going they tough times. Again, just cliff notes.

Matt
2016-08-28 12:17 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

I'm looking at a Holiday inn in Delmar, MD (near Salisbury) and it's a 40 minute drive in.

Unfortunately I don't know that area very well! Did you go with the Holiday Inn? I'm sure it will be fine! Have you looked into Airbnb at all? You might be able to find something nice a little closer. But that also might be a little less predictable.

Let us know what you decide!!
2016-08-28 9:26 PM
in reply to: #5196948

User image

, Vermont
Unsure yet about IMMD....hubby just said if I don't do IMMD this year, then I have to do IMMT next year! :D
Giant happy face! He agreed to me doing an IM on the premise I wouldn't do them every year (due to the training time commitment). We loved Tremblant so much though - I think he doesn't mind going back.
The best thing about this is he was so fired up after the race that now he wants to do tri's!!! He told me I have to find him a road bike and he thinks he will be interested in sprints and Oly's. (He's a former swimmer, but a sprinter and is not a fan of distance. Hahaha). He thinks a 2.4 mile swim is ridiculous.
I am so excited! I hope I can help keep that interest up for him!!

Today was a 70 mile hot and very windy ride followed by a 5k jog to stretch things back out.

2016-08-29 7:49 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Masters swim this morning. Nice 2100m with lots of new folks. I don't know if it is the beginning of the semester, the recent Olympics inspiring people, or what, but we had five new people show up for class today. Awesome! At least one of them is a triathlete too.

Back to work today after meetings all last week. Need to prep for class in one hour!! Argh!!!
2016-08-29 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by aviatrix802 I'm looking at a Holiday inn in Delmar, MD (near Salisbury) and it's a 40 minute drive in.
Unfortunately I don't know that area very well! Did you go with the Holiday Inn? I'm sure it will be fine! Have you looked into Airbnb at all? You might be able to find something nice a little closer. But that also might be a little less predictable. Let us know what you decide!!

Sorry was off the grid over the weekend.  Salisbury is a good choice; about 30-35 minutes from Cambridge. 

2016-08-29 1:24 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Unsure yet about IMMD....hubby just said if I don't do IMMD this year, then I have to do IMMT next year! :D
Giant happy face! He agreed to me doing an IM on the premise I wouldn't do them every year (due to the training time commitment). We loved Tremblant so much though - I think he doesn't mind going back.
The best thing about this is he was so fired up after the race that now he wants to do tri's!!! He told me I have to find him a road bike and he thinks he will be interested in sprints and Oly's. (He's a former swimmer, but a sprinter and is not a fan of distance. Hahaha). He thinks a 2.4 mile swim is ridiculous.
I am so excited! I hope I can help keep that interest up for him!!

Today was a 70 mile hot and very windy ride followed by a 5k jog to stretch things back out.

How exciting about your hubby! I'm sure it would help a ton to have someone to train with at least a little, and for him to understand it a little more from your side of things.

As a purely sprint triathlete (with the plan to eventually move up to Oly's) I TOTALLY get where he is coming from. Some people just aren't made for distances!
2016-08-29 1:30 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had an unplanned rest day Saturday after some drinking Friday night (90s party!). Swam a mile yesterday though and felt really good! Could've kept going! I swam it in about a half hour with a 1 minute break halfway through. The first half was with a pull buoy, second half without.

Going to get a longer run in tomorrow morning!

Goals for the week:
1) Swim 2-3 more times by Friday
2) Run 2 times minimum by Friday, then run 1-2 times this weekend
3) Continue eating well and tracking what I'm eating.

The bf and I are going to NYC this weekend, leaving Friday night and coming back Monday. We plan to work out a couple times while there, and also stuff our faces at Peter Luger Steak House(http://peterluger.com/), and are going to a US Open match on Sunday. Busy busy! Oh and I turn the big 3-2 on Monday!

2016-08-30 10:07 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ran to and from the gym this morning (a mile each way) and got a swim in. Did 8 100m intervals with 15-25 seconds rest depending on how I felt after each one, haha. Some with pull buoy, some without.

Arms are DEAD now.

2016-08-30 10:51 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Welcome back, Matt. Any new race goals?

Over the weekend I had a tough finish to my last training run before my next trail half-marathon. On my way down the second of two peaks I rolled my ankle (felt a "pop!") and hit the dirt. Fortunately there was no sharp pain and I was able to stand and walk. Gingerly made my way down the hill and to the road, there was some pain but it was manageable. Thanks to a good dose of endorphins and adrenaline I was able to run (slowly with frequent walk breaks) the last 3 miles back to my house. Rest, ice, and elevation was the rest of my weekend and things have been healing nicely. Today there is still a little swelling and my ankle is a little stiff but I'm walking pretty well. With 1.5 weeks until race day I think I'll be good to go!

2016-08-30 10:57 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by MOlsen

Over the weekend I had a tough finish to my last training run before my next trail half-marathon. On my way down the second of two peaks I rolled my ankle (felt a "pop!") and hit the dirt. Fortunately there was no sharp pain and I was able to stand and walk. Gingerly made my way down the hill and to the road, there was some pain but it was manageable. Thanks to a good dose of endorphins and adrenaline I was able to run (slowly with frequent walk breaks) the last 3 miles back to my house. Rest, ice, and elevation was the rest of my weekend and things have been healing nicely. Today there is still a little swelling and my ankle is a little stiff but I'm walking pretty well. With 1.5 weeks until race day I think I'll be good to go!

Ouch! Glad it's healing well and it sounds like you are doing all the right things! Good luck!
2016-08-30 1:46 PM
in reply to: #5196994

User image

, Vermont
Keep an eye on it, Mark, pop sounds are never good! Glad it's feeling better though and hope it heals up quickly before your race.
2016-08-31 8:04 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
So, it is the last day of August. It has been one month since my HIM and I'm just now pulling myself out of the post-race funk. I looked at my monthly totals for August this morning and I'm concerned about my Oly in two weeks. Since my HIM I have ridden once and run maybe four time (maybe three--either way the total is still <12mi). Swimming was a record month though--33+K yards! My goal for this week is to get my butt onto my bike at least once, hopefully for a good long ride. I know I've lost some bike and run fitness, but I'm hoping there is enough residual to get me though this Oly without too much pain. It is my last even of the season, so I'd like to go out on a good note, although I know I haven't done the training to warrant a good note. What say you drinkers of distilled and fermented ambrosia?

Nice 2100m at the pool this morning with the masters team. New school year brings new people to the gym, so it is packed like it hasn't been since January. Another two weeks and it will be back down to the regulars again.
2016-08-31 11:11 AM

User image

, California
Originally posted by MOlsen

Thanks Mark. Now that we are settling in I have signed up for a Tri in November so the season isn't a complete waste. I've found a pool I can swim at now and am trying to hook up with the local Tri Club soon to get on some rides and open water swims.

How is the ankle doing? I hope feeling much better a couple days later now.

-Matt

2016-09-01 8:05 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I got on my bike this morning!!!! It wasn't as terrible as I thought it was going to be, but it was slow. Of course, part of that is the fact that they put oil and chip on my previously nice road and I had to go uber slow out of my drive and for the first part of the ride to avoid falling flat on my face.
2016-09-01 9:00 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a solid run this morning. Ran 3.25 miles at 9:15 pace. Felt pretty strong and probably could've gone a little longer. Gonna swim either tonight or tomorrow and going to November project tomorrow morning to get some hills in (they run up this hill at the park by my house that is a half a mile long, a nice steady incline...so painful).

Heading to NYC this weekend and apparently where we are staying is very near Central Park, so I should be able to get some good runs in!
2016-09-01 10:22 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Gretchen: Your overall fitness will pull you through your upcoming Oly. Even with some lost bike/run fitness you've been keeping your swimming at record levels. Go out there and have fun!

Matt: Good to hear you have some events to look forward to. Having something on my calendar helps to keep me motivated.

My ankle is doing very well, all things considered. Walked about a mile the last two days with just a little stiffness and today there is just some residual soreness. My foot has turned lovely shades of "bruise" but the swelling is almost gone.

2016-09-01 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well so far so good. Down 8lbs. Going to try and get to 190lbs by spring.

As part of my training I have started rowing on stationary rower again. Love the Concept2 rower!

If anyone wants to join me, I have started a team for the upcoming Fall challenge running Sept. 15-Oct. 15. Sign up for logbook and look for Beer Drinker Appreciation Society!

http://log.concept2.com/log

2016-09-01 4:55 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Mark, amazing what endorphins can do - hope it heals well for your race!!

Juan

2016-09-01 4:57 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Nicole, running in Central Park is for us, foreigners, a dream come true. Ok, may be overrated, but after seeing it in so many movies, I feel like a world champ when I run there.... I would go for it! And, it is a beatiful park to run.

Juan
2016-09-01 4:58 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

New user
Madrid
Gretchen, you are already fit for a half, and as you know, an Oly is not half a HIM, so no worries, you will be comfortable and best of all, you will enjoy it!!

Juan
2016-09-01 5:00 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Jenn, happy to hear you have such a strong family support, so much needed! And now you talk about doing a HIM like it is nothing....for me it is a huuuge achievement!!

Juan
2016-09-01 5:05 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by thor67

Well so far so good. Down 8lbs. Going to try and get to 190lbs by spring.

As part of my training I have started rowing on stationary rower again. Love the Concept2 rower!

If anyone wants to join me, I have started a team for the upcoming Fall challenge running Sept. 15-Oct. 15. Sign up for logbook and look for Beer Drinker Appreciation Society!

http://log.concept2.com/log

Thor, I just signed in but cannot see the BDAS challenge, in these dates only the Fall Season Challenge... Any other link? Would like to join to work a bit my core. Great initiative, thanks!!

Juan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6374 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17516 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.