BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-07-25 8:20 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Taper question:

For those of you who've gone long: Did you have trouble eating during taper? Normally, I'm a chow hound. Both days this weekend I've been kinda put off food. I get hungry, but just don't feel like eating. Or, really have crippling inability to decide what to eat so I just don't. Okay for breakfast, probably because I'm mechanical in getting up and eating right away. Lunch is somewhat of a struggle. Dinner is ridiculous.

I haven't tapered yet.. can't wait though... It may not be a super bad thing since you're not putting out what you were last week in terms of exercise so long as everything is pretty balanced. Some people I know prepare meals on Sundays for most of the week so it takes a lot of the thinking out of it during the week when you're spent. (I am simply not that organized). I too sometimes stand in front of the fridge, staring...particularly at lunch time. I definitely always keep almonds close by as a fall back until I can find something a little more substantial. I think you said you track food on MFP? I've been doing that particularly to make sure I'm taking in enough protein as I know I often don't eat enough in general - it forces me to think, okay, I have had no vitamin C today....what can I have...oh, Emergen-C will knock that one out. hahaha and move on down the list.
Yeah, I hate that feeling of knowing you need to eat but have little desire to. Maybe throw a bunch of stuff in a blender and whip up a smoothie? Grab a pre-roasted chicken and whack it up and throw some on a bed of greens and put some Asian sesame dressing on it for something quick and different or get take-out of your favorite food one night.....I love Thai food or Vietnamese. Yummo. Even when I'm not hungry I'll eat that.

2016-07-25 8:22 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Random: IM Lake Placid is tomorrow.. Temps look good at 73 but calling for 50% chance of thunderstorms. Gusty winds and small hail....
My thoughts and prayers are with them!!!

I've been following that story... After what happened at Racine 70.3 I think mother nature owes those that go long some nice weather. And even if the weather isn't good - hopefully they won't have to shorten the race.

So...my error...lost my brain, the race was yesterday, not Saturday. Boy did they have perfect weather yesterday for IMLP!!! Racers could not have asked for better temps! It never got up to 80 and there were intermittent clouds. It was cool in the morning and it cooled off in the evening, no humidity, just perfect. So happy for them!!
2016-07-25 8:23 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Today was on off day, so the boy & went to the zoo in the morning and then for a lazy ride in the afternoon. Hoping to hit the pool tomorrow morning to round out my goals for the week.

Nice. Love days like this.
2016-07-25 8:40 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
Rest day here. i'm trying to get in for a massage while the boys are in half day tennis camp.

A happy note! I had brought my tri bike in last week to chat about my back (right quadrates to be specific) and we ended up raising the aerobars up 2cm and sliding them slightly closer to keep the angles correct. Fast forward to hill repeats last Thursday and my 90 mile ride on Saturday...all on my tri bike with ZERO back pain! Happy, happy girl.

Last week on speed work for the run I tweaked the inside of my left leg down near the ankle - near the Achilles but am thinking it could be the tibialis posterior - rested it the rest of the week and went for my long run yesterday. The pain kicked in by mile three but off and on so I got 8 miles in and called my sis-in-law (love having a PT in the family) and she recommended stopping and resting it and doing the longest runs every other weekend, not every weekend (once you get in the 15+ mile range). Could be tendinitis but I'll check with my local PT on Friday when I see him. In the meantime I'll dig a thumb in there and massage it and do more cycling and less running. Maybe I'll work a strength session in there in lieu of running. I think I'm toeing off too hard on the left side - changing my stride up a little and I'm irritating things that haven't been used much - parts of my gastroc perhaps?
I did do my high rpm spin after the run and felt fine there (averaged 99). I had to do it on my road bike with my old road shoes as my tri shoes are still completely soaked from being in the deluge a couple of times on Saturday. hahaha. With the new Powertap pedals you need specific clips (which come with the pedals) so those are on my tri shoes...

Goals this week?
Keep up with the plan - it will be modified, however, so I can't put specifics down.
PT exercises everyday.
Eat healthy.
2016-07-25 9:25 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

A happy note! I had brought my tri bike in last week to chat about my back (right quadrates to be specific) and we ended up raising the aerobars up 2cm and sliding them slightly closer to keep the angles correct. Fast forward to hill repeats last Thursday and my 90 mile ride on Saturday...all on my tri bike with ZERO back pain! Happy, happy girl.

Awesome news! That has to be such a relief!
2016-07-25 9:50 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ran 3 miles and swam 600 m on Saturday. Made me realize just how much work I have left to do before my tri in 2 months. Planning to run 4x/week (only in the mornings b/c it has been SO HOT here lately...high of 100 today...). Will swim 3 times a week and build up the distance. My shoulders just get so tired so quickly, so I definitely need to get stronger.

Goals for the week:
Run 4 times, swim 3, try to get out on the bike this weekend (that is my biggest challenge...finding time for bike rides)
Eat well, meal prep and track my food

2016-07-25 11:42 AM

User image

Expert

DQ, are you looking for bike or tri shorts?
If bike - guy friends of mine love Castelli bibs. I have their regular shorts I like for road biking (but too much padding for for aero).
Also Cobb Cycling has shorts I've heard good things about.

As far as chaffing - yup, it happens. Do you use any kind of chamois cream? Butt butt'r, Buottonhole, DZ Nuts, Chamois Butter? Those can help.
For after the fact, try Aquafor or Boudreaux's Butt Paste - I use the one in the green tube with zinc oxide. It's messy but works really well - heal up pretty quick.

Jenn - I'm looking for cycling shorts. I had a great pair - but they don't fit me any more. Grr. I want to go back in a time machine to when I weighed sub 200. Since that isn't going to happen anytime soon, I need to get bike shorts with a bigger pad. Question though - how can something have too much padding for areo - or is this just one of those questions that I can figure out on my own

As for the Chamois - great suggestion. I already ordered some for my myself.
2016-07-25 11:50 AM

User image

Expert

Taper question:

For those of you who've gone long: Did you have trouble eating during taper? Normally, I'm a chow hound. Both days this weekend I've been kinda put off food. I get hungry, but just don't feel like eating. Or, really have crippling inability to decide what to eat so I just don't. Okay for breakfast, probably because I'm mechanical in getting up and eating right away. Lunch is somewhat of a struggle. Dinner is ridiculous.

My issue with eating during my taper is that I tend to eat to much. When I'm training - I tend to eat a lot and when I taper I have the tendancy to keep eating a ton even though I'm not training as much!

To be honest - I wish I had your problem
2016-07-25 12:01 PM

User image

Expert

Rest day here. i'm trying to get in for a massage while the boys are in half day tennis camp.

Last week on speed work for the run I tweaked the inside of my left leg down near the ankle - near the Achilles but am thinking it could be the tibialis posterior - rested it the rest of the week and went for my long run yesterday. The pain kicked in by mile three but off and on so I got 8 miles in and called my sis-in-law (love having a PT in the family) and she recommended stopping and resting it and doing the longest runs every other weekend, not every weekend (once you get in the 15+ mile range). Could be tendinitis but I'll check with my local PT on Friday when I see him. In the meantime I'll dig a thumb in there and massage it and do more cycling and less running. Maybe I'll work a strength session in there in lieu of running. I think I'm toeing off too hard on the left side - changing my stride up a little and I'm irritating things that haven't been used much - parts of my gastroc perhaps?
I did do my high rpm spin after the run and felt fine there (averaged 99). I had to do it on my road bike with my old road shoes as my tri shoes are still completely soaked from being in the deluge a couple of times on Saturday. hahaha. With the new Powertap pedals you need specific clips (which come with the pedals) so those are on my tri shoes...

Goals this week?
Keep up with the plan - it will be modified, however, so I can't put specifics down.
PT exercises everyday.
Eat healthy.

Heal up quick! Sore achilles seem to be catching in the BDAS!
2016-07-25 12:02 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

DQ, are you looking for bike or tri shorts?
If bike - guy friends of mine love Castelli bibs. I have their regular shorts I like for road biking (but too much padding for for aero).
Also Cobb Cycling has shorts I've heard good things about.

As far as chaffing - yup, it happens. Do you use any kind of chamois cream? Butt butt'r, Buottonhole, DZ Nuts, Chamois Butter? Those can help.
For after the fact, try Aquafor or Boudreaux's Butt Paste - I use the one in the green tube with zinc oxide. It's messy but works really well - heal up pretty quick.

As far as good cycling shorts, my favs are a) Castelli Free aero race -rosso corsa- and b) Taymory Pluton, both are better than average for long rides, both are expensive (specially Castelli) but all is relative is we consider the money we invest in other parts of the bike and the amount of hours that we will be riding on these shorts

I only use tri-shorts at races.

Juan
2016-07-25 12:10 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Taper question:

Not really a big problem, but agree with you that while training tend to it continuously, and when not training so much unconciously tend to it much less, my body is not so hungry - but donĀ“t do down too much, you need the fuel in your race!!

Juan

2016-07-25 2:29 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Doing my first and only Tri of the year this coming weekend. The National Capital Triathlon here in Ottawa. Sprint (500m,20km,5km

Swim won't be the greatest but I'm hoping I can still pull off a 2:00/100m. The Bike I know I'll hammer. My fitness on the bike is on point right now. The run is always sketchy for me. I've been doing these short one mile runs in the mornings with the dogs and have been pulling off 3:55min/km feeling pretty good and feeling like I could run much longer at that. I'd love to finish the 5km in 20minutes or less. 

Either way it'll be a fun race to clear my head before the big stage race in Quebec the following week. 

2016-07-25 7:01 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by adempsey10

Doing my first and only Tri of the year this coming weekend. The National Capital Triathlon here in Ottawa. Sprint (500m,20km,5km)Ā 

Swim won't be the greatest but I'm hoping I can still pull off a 2:00/100m. The Bike I know I'll hammer. My fitness on the bike is on point right now. The run is always sketchy for me. I've been doing these short one mile runs in the mornings with the dogs and have been pulling off 3:55min/km feeling pretty good and feeling like I could run much longer at that. I'd love to finish the 5km in 20minutes or less.Ā 

Either way it'll be a fun race to clear my head before the big stage race in Quebec the following week.Ā 

Awesome!!! I am so glad you're doing this! I would love to be in the audience to watch you fly by everyone on the bike like they're standing still. I'm blanking on the name of the guy who switched from pro cycling to triathlons - I was watching IMTX Regional championships and they showed him blowing by a pro triathlete and the commentators said "and here is the difference between a pro cyclist and a pro triathlete on the bike...." Blew by the guy like he was standing still. Just amazing, the power on the bike.
Have fun and enjoy it.....but please don't forget to check back in when you're done!!

Where in Quebec will you be for the stage race? I'm heading to MT next Monday, Tuesday, maybe Wednesday too but not sure on that one. Hoping to ride the course in its entirety.
2016-07-25 7:03 PM

User image

, Vermont
oh, while you're here, Alan...I just got Powertap P1 pedals... Trainer Road? Yes? I was told get it and immediately do the 20 minute test to get set up.
2016-07-25 7:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by aviatrix802oh, while you're here, Alan...I just got Powertap P1 pedals... Trainer Road? Yes? I was told get it and immediately do the 20 minute test to get set up.
Yes, ah, the 20 minute test. Better bring a bucket. :-) And congratulations on the power meter - now you're going to totally be a stat geek.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2016-07-25 7:58 PM
2016-07-25 7:55 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
@Dave: I use DeSoto Forza tri shorts as my cycling shorts - I've done up to 60 miles in them without chafing. I'm 6'3" 200 and I wear an XL. They have three different versions of that particular style - 4 mm (which I use) 7 mm (the "Riviera" model), and then 9? mm ( the "400 mile" bike shorts). Awesome awesome awesome shorts. More padding does not necessarily equate to more comfort - I've done 50 miles with my mesh-lined tri shorts.

2016-07-25 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by adempsey10

Doing my first and only Tri of the year this coming weekend. The National Capital Triathlon here in Ottawa. Sprint (500m,20km,5km)Ā 

Swim won't be the greatest but I'm hoping I can still pull off a 2:00/100m. The Bike I know I'll hammer. My fitness on the bike is on point right now. The run is always sketchy for me. I've been doing these short one mile runs in the mornings with the dogs and have been pulling off 3:55min/km feeling pretty good and feeling like I could run much longer at that. I'd love to finish the 5km in 20minutes or less.Ā 

Either way it'll be a fun race to clear my head before the big stage race in Quebec the following week.Ā 

Awesome!!! I am so glad you're doing this! I would love to be in the audience to watch you fly by everyone on the bike like they're standing still. I'm blanking on the name of the guy who switched from pro cycling to triathlons - I was watching IMTX Regional championships and they showed him blowing by a pro triathlete and the commentators said "and here is the difference between a pro cyclist and a pro triathlete on the bike...." Blew by the guy like he was standing still. Just amazing, the power on the bike. Have fun and enjoy it.....but please don't forget to check back in when you're done!! Where in Quebec will you be for the stage race? I'm heading to MT next Monday, Tuesday, maybe Wednesday too but not sure on that one. Hoping to ride the course in its entirety.
I can't wait to see you fly by those non-adult-onset swimmers on the bike (and the run for that matter - sub 20...REALLY??? :-) while they go "WTF was that?????".
2016-07-26 8:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802Awesome!!! I am so glad you're doing this! I would love to be in the audience to watch you fly by everyone on the bike like they're standing still. I'm blanking on the name of the guy who switched from pro cycling to triathlons - I was watching IMTX Regional championships and they showed him blowing by a pro triathlete and the commentators said "and here is the difference between a pro cyclist and a pro triathlete on the bike...." Blew by the guy like he was standing still. Just amazing, the power on the bike. Have fun and enjoy it.....but please don't forget to check back in when you're done!! Where in Quebec will you be for the stage race? I'm heading to MT next Monday, Tuesday, maybe Wednesday too but not sure on that one. Hoping to ride the course in its entirety.

It's in the Gaspesie area of Quebec so way up at the top of New Brunswick. 

Edited by adempsey10 2016-07-26 10:53 AM
2016-07-26 10:50 AM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Very slow, short brick for me today. 30' bike, 15' run. Now I'm off to the store to get a few things for my trip and then this afternoon I will solidify my race plan. Looks like the heat done that has been sitting over us the last two weeks is moving east. Just checked the weather for Saturday and it is forecast to be 81F and partly cloudy. I don't think I could ask for better than that...except maybe that the lake cools off enough to get to wetsuit legal!
2016-07-26 10:52 AM

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove Taper question: For those of you who've gone long: Did you have trouble eating during taper? Normally, I'm a chow hound. Both days this weekend I've been kinda put off food. I get hungry, but just don't feel like eating. Or, really have crippling inability to decide what to eat so I just don't. Okay for breakfast, probably because I'm mechanical in getting up and eating right away. Lunch is somewhat of a struggle. Dinner is ridiculous.

I've never had this issue. Typically I gain a little weight in taper because my body is so used to eating so much food that I find myself still really hungry even though I'm doing less activity. In your case, as long as you're eating enough food and not starving yourself, this isn't really a problem. Just make sure you're fuelling with the right stuff to maximize your recovery during your taper period. If you don't feel like eating but think you haven't eaten enough just stick a cracker in your mouth or something just to say you ate something. Don't go for more than 6 hours eating nothing at all. 

2016-07-26 10:57 AM

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802 oh, while you're here, Alan...I just got Powertap P1 pedals... Trainer Road? Yes? I was told get it and immediately do the 20 minute test to get set up.

Yes. definitely trainer road. The 20 minute test is a beast. Find a time when you're good and rested and feeling strong then do it. Mark sure you do it in an area with conditions that will be easily replicated each time you do the test. 

2016-07-26 5:27 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

My first (of only two) triathlon for this year is in the books! Despite not doing much swimming (just 1-2 times a week) and almost no long bike rides I managed to come in almost 5 minutes faster than last year! Here is the race report. As always, I celebrated with a Racer 5 IPA when I was done... who says 9:30 am is too early to have a beer? Not if you've already finished a race!

2016-07-26 6:47 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by MOlsen

My first (of only two) triathlon for this year is in the books! Despite not doing much swimming (just 1-2 times a week) and almost no long bike rides I managed to come in almost 5 minutes faster than last year! Here is theĀ race report. As always, I celebrated with a Racer 5 IPA when I was done... who says 9:30 am is too early to have a beer? Not if you've already finished a race!

I am so jealous of you. We can't get Racer 5 IPA in Maryland anymore. :-( Probably my favorite beer of all time. And yes I've been to the Bear Republic brew pub in Healdsburg. :-)
2016-07-27 7:39 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Another easy workout in the taper book. I'm getting bored! Seriously, masters coach had me do 12x50 on the 1:45 today. I should have brought my book, I could have gotten in some good reading during the rest intervals! Short bike planned for this afternoon.

My lack of interest in food has continued. Tuesdays are our date nights around here, where we usually go to an early movie and then out to dinner. Couldn't come up with anything I wanted to eat last night, so we ended up going home and having cereal for dinner (wife was fine with it). Oddly enough, I did have a major craving for hot dogs yesterday at lunch time. Gross.
2016-07-27 8:20 AM

User image

Expert

Another easy workout in the taper book. I'm getting bored! Seriously, masters coach had me do 12x50 on the 1:45 today. I should have brought my book, I could have gotten in some good reading during the rest intervals! Short bike planned for this afternoon.

My lack of interest in food has continued. Tuesdays are our date nights around here, where we usually go to an early movie and then out to dinner. Couldn't come up with anything I wanted to eat last night, so we ended up going home and having cereal for dinner (wife was fine with it). Oddly enough, I did have a major craving for hot dogs yesterday at lunch time. Gross.

I wish I had your problem. I'm helping myself to one of my kids pop tarts for breakfast this morning. I'd pay to not be interested in food
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6377 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17524 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.