BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-09-21 8:00 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
After a few days of spotty workouts due to travel, I was back in the pool this morning with the Master's team. We are reviving something they used to do called Quality Wednesday. I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to be, but today it was a bunch of really hard sets on long rest, like 3x100 descending from hard to harder to vomit, but on the 5:00, so more rest than swim time. It was still ugly at the end of the practice.

2016-09-21 8:29 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove After a few days of spotty workouts due to travel, I was back in the pool this morning with the Master's team. We are reviving something they used to do called Quality Wednesday. I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to be, but today it was a bunch of really hard sets on long rest, like 3x100 descending from hard to harder to vomit, but on the 5:00, so more rest than swim time. It was still ugly at the end of the practice.

It's funny, that "on the 5:00" sounds really easy, but I know darn well that's a brutal workout.  Those all-out efforts where you're pushing out past the "speed" (like 50s) into the "anaerobic" areas are really tough.  Then again, I ran the 400 in high school so I like that kind of pain. 

2016-09-21 9:24 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
The last two mornings I had grand plans to make it up to the "new" pool and get a swim workout in. I definitely anticipated this was going to be an issue, having to travel 20 minutes to this pool rather than the 1 mile to my previous pool. With my trip coming up tonight, I had enough stuff to do around the house that I convinced myself to do that instead of work out. Although I feel really good about where I am prep-wise for my trip, I'm not feeling great about where I am prep-wise for my tri, which is just 10 days away. I plan on working out every day while I am away though, and will be searching for a gym that allows a day pass to try and squeeze at least one swim in while I'm down there.

I will likely be off the grid until next Tuesday, so hope you all have a great rest of your week/weekend!
2016-09-22 7:21 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Last night was 2500 SCY, followed by an upper body and core strength session at the gym.  My daughter swims for two hours on Mondays and Wednesdays so I'm basically marooned at the gym for that time, so I have no excuses.  I've been lucky so far on getting a pool lane, too.  They only have one available during swim practice and I've been able to grab it twice now - I probably just jinxed myself there.

Bikram Yoga this morning - modified some poses to account for my back flaring up.

Happy Thursday!

2016-09-22 8:14 AM
in reply to: #5199461

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Smacked in the face by poor planning this morning. I forgot to charge my dog's light up harness, so when I went to run this morning, we couldn't. We had to wait for the sun to rise properly, so planned three miles was cut to two. It wasn't what I wanted, but at least it is something.
2016-09-22 11:46 AM
in reply to: #5199583

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
You have a light up harness? What's the brand, and where did you buy it?

2016-09-22 12:09 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

You have a light up harness? What's the brand, and where did you buy it?

It is called a LightHound Reflective Vest (it is totally a harness). I bought it at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014RP80NM/ref=oh_aui_search_detai...

The only drawback is that it is so bright it drowns my headlamp beam sometimes. I love this thing.
2016-09-22 8:00 PM
in reply to: #5199609

User image

, California
35 minute run that included 14x30 second intervals. Was tough but feels good starting to get my fitness back a bit.

Matt
2016-09-23 8:20 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice 2200m swim this morning with the master's team. Then, I made the mistake of asking the coach how to swim faster when we descend sets. MISTAKE!!! 35 minutes later I left the pool deck. Coach is a talker for sure. Good news is though that I have a plan for both getting faster in general and figuring out why I swim slower when I try to swim fast.
2016-09-24 1:33 PM
in reply to: #5199659

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Saturday masters class is brutal! 3200yds of slow then fast! Very tired now, although some of my hat is residual from breaking up concrete for 90 min last night.
2016-09-24 7:57 PM
in reply to: #5199769

User image

, California
3200 yards! Nice swim Gretchen. I aspire to be doing your distances one day.

Today a (very) slow 55 minute run and tonight sampling some local IPAs.

Have a good weekend all

Matt

2016-09-26 5:28 PM
in reply to: #5199780

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Gretchen, as always, I'm blown away by your pool time. That is a lot of yards the last few days.

Ran the Duxbury Tri (sprint) on Saturday. Absolutely stunning course winding along the beach, salt marshes, and homes. Swim and run were about what I expected, but I surprised myself with a personal top 3 bike leg. I then capped it off with some Sam Octoberfest (not my favorite) and homemade apple pie. I'll try write up a full race report tonight.
2016-09-27 1:07 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Back after my trip down to Jacksonville. It was an amazing weekend. The weather was perfect, the Ravens won, and everyone I went with was really great. Downside is I drank A LOT of cheap beer and didn't work out every day. Got a run in on Friday and did a boot camp workout on the beach on Saturday.

Going to run this afternoon, ending at the bike shop where I will pick up my newly tuned up bicycle. My race is Saturday. I am a bit anxious. I haven't swam in a week and a half and had a heavy weekend, but hopefully I trained enough before to get me through. Would love to PR on this course, but have lowered my expectations a bit
2016-09-27 1:11 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I also want to add that I plan on doing a 31 day challenge starting October 1st. Eating lean, clean and green. Grocery shopping and prepping meals for the week. Working out in some way every day. I'm also going to be walking to and from work again since the weather has cooled down. If anyone cares to check it out, it's a program called Tone It Up (https://www.toneitup.com/). You can sign up for the challenge without paying for the program, and I think you can see all the workouts and stuff (they have a daily workout schedule).
2016-09-28 8:11 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm back after taking a few days off. Lately, I've been taking too many days off. Did a nice 1800m set in the pool today. I've managed to pull/strain my left quad somehow. I think it was nearly falling off the riding mower on a hill that did it, but I'm not 100% sure. It didn't hurt when I did it, but sure did yesterday morning (the morning after). Anyway, no coach at the pool this morning, so I practiced some of the TI drills I've been reading about. Seems to help, but it could also just be the extra rest I've had lately.
2016-09-28 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Back after my trip down to Jacksonville. It was an amazing weekend. The weather was perfect, the Ravens won, and everyone I went with was really great. Downside is I drank A LOT of cheap beer and didn't work out every day. Got a run in on Friday and did a boot camp workout on the beach on Saturday. Going to run this afternoon, ending at the bike shop where I will pick up my newly tuned up bicycle. My race is Saturday. I am a bit anxious. I haven't swam in a week and a half and had a heavy weekend, but hopefully I trained enough before to get me through. Would love to PR on this course, but have lowered my expectations a bit

Might be a moot point - we're supposed to get like 3-5 inches of rain between now and the race.  Hopefully the swim won't be cancelled because of water quality issues from all that runoff.

2016-09-28 11:18 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Back after my trip down to Jacksonville. It was an amazing weekend. The weather was perfect, the Ravens won, and everyone I went with was really great. Downside is I drank A LOT of cheap beer and didn't work out every day. Got a run in on Friday and did a boot camp workout on the beach on Saturday. Going to run this afternoon, ending at the bike shop where I will pick up my newly tuned up bicycle. My race is Saturday. I am a bit anxious. I haven't swam in a week and a half and had a heavy weekend, but hopefully I trained enough before to get me through. Would love to PR on this course, but have lowered my expectations a bit

Might be a moot point - we're supposed to get like 3-5 inches of rain between now and the race.  Hopefully the swim won't be cancelled because of water quality issues from all that runoff.

I saw that :-/ lame
This race has bad luck. It was cancelled last year due to a threat of a hurricane (Joaquin maybe?) and two years ago, my first year doing it, it was overcast, I think it rained some and it was SUPER windy. The buoy apparently got blown in the water and the swim ended up being longer because of it.

Ran 3 miles pretty fast last night. I meant to take it easy, but ran 8:25 pace. It was mostly downhill or flat, but it made me feel better about this weekend!
2016-09-29 8:00 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Another swim today--2150yds short course. I love short course. Logically I know I go faster because 100yds is shorter than 100m and there are more opportunities to push off, but just seeing that lower number per 100 really gives me a charge. Leg is still a little sore, but better than yesterday. Hoping to run on it tomorrow.
2016-09-29 8:01 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

This race has bad luck. It was cancelled last year due to a threat of a hurricane (Joaquin maybe?) and two years ago, my first year doing it, it was overcast, I think it rained some and it was SUPER windy. The buoy apparently got blown in the water and the swim ended up being longer because of it.

Ran 3 miles pretty fast last night. I meant to take it easy, but ran 8:25 pace. It was mostly downhill or flat, but it made me feel better about this weekend!

Here's hoping for no whammies!! Good luck Nicole!!! Mike--are you doing this race too? Good luck to you too if so!
2016-09-29 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove

I saw that :-/ lame This race has bad luck. It was cancelled last year due to a threat of a hurricane (Joaquin maybe?) and two years ago, my first year doing it, it was overcast, I think it rained some and it was SUPER windy. The buoy apparently got blown in the water and the swim ended up being longer because of it. Ran 3 miles pretty fast last night. I meant to take it easy, but ran 8:25 pace. It was mostly downhill or flat, but it made me feel better about this weekend!
Here's hoping for no whammies!! Good luck Nicole!!! Mike--are you doing this race too? Good luck to you too if so!

Nope, no racing for me.  Back is still too twitchy to be running.  The race is only like 4 miles from my house and I ride over there all the time (and it's the best OWS practice around here...).  It's definitely one I plan to do sometime in the future, though the first weekend of October makes the weather a little sketchy (see Nicole's post).

2016-09-29 9:12 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Thank you! It has been dumping rain pretty hard all last night and morning, with no sign of really letting up. No bueno...

2016-09-29 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I saw that :-/ lame This race has bad luck. It was cancelled last year due to a threat of a hurricane (Joaquin maybe?) and two years ago, my first year doing it, it was overcast, I think it rained some and it was SUPER windy. The buoy apparently got blown in the water and the swim ended up being longer because of it. Ran 3 miles pretty fast last night. I meant to take it easy, but ran 8:25 pace. It was mostly downhill or flat, but it made me feel better about this weekend!
Thank you! It has been dumping rain pretty hard all last night and morning, with no sign of really letting up. No bueno...

Just make sure you get your tetanus booster shot beforehand. 

Well, at least you're not swimming in the Patapsco or Back Rivers...blech!!!

2016-09-30 9:02 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
My running buddy is still limping and my quad is still sore, so off day for me today. Went and donated blood during my normal swim time and am really happy with my bio numbers. BP and pulse are down from my normal and iron is up (although that was never really a concern for me).
2016-09-30 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

September is in the books (2nd highest swim month ever for me):

Swim: 8h 47m 25s - 23950.37 Yd

Bike: 11h 29m 08s - 199.3 Mi

Run: 13m 30s - 1.35 Mi

Strength: 8h 35s

Hiking: 4h 38m 10s

Incline Treadmill Walking: 1h 21m 30s

Shooting for 30K in the water and 250 miles on the trainer in October. 

2016-09-30 3:05 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
September Totals:
Swim: 22976.12 Yd
Bike: 40.54 Mi
Run: 20.9 Mi
Walking: 30m

Personally, really surprised my bike mileage is that high, although I did do an Oly in September! Committed today to doing a HM in February. Base building plan starts tomorrow (quad permitting), so expect to see the run numbers increase in October.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6321 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17376 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.