BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-10-19 4:13 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Have to throw a few pics in here for the foliage we had. It was particularly amazing this year. While I may enjoy a fruity beer here and there, I'm typically not a fan....except for Blueberry beer from the Atlantic Brewing Company. Yum! The amazing bonus....while my folks were there they picked up an Atlantic Brewing Co cycling jersey for me! How cool are they?! Thanks, M & D!!

Wow...beautiful scenery.  We still have about 3 weeks before we peak.  It's been in the 80s all week which is really weird, too.  Not quite "Indian summer" as we haven't had a killing frost yet, but record highs this week.

2016-10-19 8:23 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, California
Great foliage pics and blueberry ale sure sounds interesting!

-Matt
2016-10-20 12:45 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I agree, great pics, Jenn!

I'm with Mike, it has been oddly warm here this week. I am enjoying it, but know it's not going to last (Saturday the high is like, 55 or something).

Just signed up for the 5 mile race I mentioned yesterday called the Celtic Solstice 5 mile. It's on December 17th, so with that and the Turkey Trot 5k I have good motivation to make sure I get out there and keep running. A bunch of my girlfriends are running it with me too, so it will be more social and less for time, but I still would like to feel good during it. The jackets will probably be pretty sweet, and we get hot soup and mulled wine at the finish...yum!
2016-10-21 8:41 PM
in reply to: #5202477

User image

, California
A quick 1200y swim today after work. I am meeting up with a local OWS group tomorrow to swim in the Pacific Ocean. This one is out of comfort zone. Showing to meet strangers, swimming in an ocean, and using a wetsuit for the first time... but this whole sport has been about pushing myself from my comfort zone so.

After that I have to figure out how to get in a 1h20m run and a 1h30m/20m brick this weekend with my in laws just flown in for a visit and my 7 year old boy turning 8 on Sunday!!

Have a good weekend all.

-Matt
2016-10-22 11:55 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Have to throw a few pics in here for the foliage we had. It was particularly amazing this year.
While I may enjoy a fruity beer here and there, I'm typically not a fan....except for Blueberry beer from the Atlantic Brewing Company. Yum! The amazing bonus....while my folks were there they picked up an Atlantic Brewing Co cycling jersey for me! How cool are they?! Thanks, M & D!!

Probably the most beautiful autumn in the world, no doubt!

Got in the pool today after 3 months.... just 1000m, trying to remember all the youtube videos, not bad swolf according to my Garming, but need to make this a habit at least twice a week.

Matt, will be following your steps closely, our race will be more or less same time, so excellent to have this extra motivation.

Juan
2016-10-24 7:59 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning All! First workout back after stomach flu sidelined me most of last week was a 2500m swim this morning with masters. We did a bunch of 400s today, which is odd, because we never do that kind of distance. It was interesting to see the "fast" people in my lane fall off after 50-100m. I may be slow, but I can swim all damn day.

2016-10-24 4:41 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Juancho

Have to throw a few pics in here for the foliage we had. It was particularly amazing this year.
While I may enjoy a fruity beer here and there, I'm typically not a fan....except for Blueberry beer from the Atlantic Brewing Company. Yum! The amazing bonus....while my folks were there they picked up an Atlantic Brewing Co cycling jersey for me! How cool are they?! Thanks, M & D!!

Got in the pool today after 3 months.... just 1000m, trying to remember all the youtube videos, not bad swolf according to my Garming, but need to make this a habit at least twice a week.

Juan

1000 yards for me today too - 700 of it pulling since I still can't kick much. Baby steps, right, Juan?
So funny, because about 7 weeks ago I was doing 4500. (funny or sad?)
I'll take it either way!
2016-10-24 4:43 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Morning All! First workout back after stomach flu sidelined me most of last week was a 2500m swim this morning with masters. We did a bunch of 400s today, which is odd, because we never do that kind of distance. It was interesting to see the "fast" people in my lane fall off after 50-100m. I may be slow, but I can swim all damn day.

Good for you! Glad to hear you're back at it! I love when distance kicks in and humbles the sprinters. hahahaha! (I can say that because my hubby is a sprinter and thinks I'm insane for doing 2.4 mile swims ..."That's not a real race distance," he says).
2016-10-25 8:23 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Lovely run in the cold dark this morning. Today was the first day I would really call it chilly (39F) on my run, but the sky was clear and the stars were out. It was absolutely beautiful! Followed my run with some strength training and a spot of yoga to keep things pliable.
2016-10-26 7:11 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Morning All! First workout back after stomach flu sidelined me most of last week was a 2500m swim this morning with masters. We did a bunch of 400s today, which is odd, because we never do that kind of distance. It was interesting to see the "fast" people in my lane fall off after 50-100m. I may be slow, but I can swim all damn day.

That's the big challenge for learning how to swim triathlons - holding a "hard-ish" pace for a long time.  Takes lots of practice, and even lots of "swimmers" as you described above have dramatic pace/speed curve drop-offs after 200M or so.

2016-10-26 7:12 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Have to throw a few pics in here for the foliage we had. It was particularly amazing this year. While I may enjoy a fruity beer here and there, I'm typically not a fan....except for Blueberry beer from the Atlantic Brewing Company. Yum! The amazing bonus....while my folks were there they picked up an Atlantic Brewing Co cycling jersey for me! How cool are they?! Thanks, M & D!!
Probably the most beautiful autumn in the world, no doubt! Got in the pool today after 3 months.... just 1000m, trying to remember all the youtube videos, not bad swolf according to my Garming, but need to make this a habit at least twice a week. Juan
1000 yards for me today too - 700 of it pulling since I still can't kick much. Baby steps, right, Juan? So funny, because about 7 weeks ago I was doing 4500. (funny or sad?) I'll take it either way!

You're in the off season anyway - don't sweat it and get that thing we can't pronounce healed up. 

2016-10-26 8:03 AM
in reply to: #5202699

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
"Quality Wednesday" at masters today--basically one big suckfest, but worth it. 2600m before work and a nice short run scheduled for later.
2016-10-27 11:55 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

Juan

1000 yards for me today too - 700 of it pulling since I still can't kick much. Baby steps, right, Juan?
So funny, because about 7 weeks ago I was doing 4500. (funny or sad?)
I'll take it either way!

Absolutely Jenn, baby steps, but so much rewarding - 40 min run at 5.30' per km, trying to hang in there till Dec 5 when the 30-week plan starts.....

Juan
2016-10-27 11:56 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

Lovely run in the cold dark this morning. Today was the first day I would really call it chilly (39F) on my run, but the sky was clear and the stars were out. It was absolutely beautiful! Followed my run with some strength training and a spot of yoga to keep things pliable.

Sounds cool.....

Juan
2016-10-27 11:56 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove Morning All! First workout back after stomach flu sidelined me most of last week was a 2500m swim this morning with masters. We did a bunch of 400s today, which is odd, because we never do that kind of distance. It was interesting to see the "fast" people in my lane fall off after 50-100m. I may be slow, but I can swim all damn day.

That's the big challenge for learning how to swim triathlons - holding a "hard-ish" pace for a long time.  Takes lots of practice, and even lots of "swimmers" as you described above have dramatic pace/speed curve drop-offs after 200M or so.

Fully agree - that´s called "maturity" I guess.

Juan
2016-10-28 7:46 AM
in reply to: #5202986

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice afternoon run yesterday after work. Hard effort, but came home feeling good about the result.

Short swim this morning with masters. Would have liked to do the whole workout today, but I have a big day at work--installing an electric fence at my research facility too keep students out (we had a break in last weekend). Here's keeping my fingers crossed that I don't electrocute myself!

2016-10-28 2:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Working in some core yoga classes the last couple of Fridays, two swims this week and some weights and other core work. I'm looking into trying acupuncture to work with my muscle issue. The acupuncturist I know is also a triathlete, has done a couple of Ironmans - trying to qualify for Kona, etc. He's helped folks with piriformis syndrome so maybe he can help get me over the edge and on the final road to recovery. We shall see.

Had to edit - case of Bordeaux just ordered....

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-10-28 2:19 PM
2016-10-28 2:22 PM

User image

, Vermont

Juan

Absolutely Jenn, baby steps, but so much rewarding - 40 min run at 5.30' per km, trying to hang in there till Dec 5 when the 30-week plan starts.....

Juan

I've got my 30 week plan input on a spreadsheet - starts January 23rd! Time to get in shape to get in shape! You will be a month and half ahead of me on the pain train!
2016-10-29 7:57 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, California
Nice work Jenn and thanks for the reminder. I need to get my off season schedule and my 24 week plan starting Feb 12 both onto a sheet.

Joined the local OWS again today, did about 1600m if my garmin is to be believed. It is so friggin cold jumping in but it's good practice to work through it and get comfortable.

And most importantly my local liquor store had the world famous Pliny the Elder today. Don't get it often. What a treat!

-Matt
2016-10-31 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Working in some core yoga classes the last couple of Fridays, two swims this week and some weights and other core work. I'm looking into trying acupuncture to work with my muscle issue. The acupuncturist I know is also a triathlete, has done a couple of Ironmans - trying to qualify for Kona, etc. He's helped folks with piriformis syndrome so maybe he can help get me over the edge and on the final road to recovery. We shall see. Had to edit - case of Bordeaux just ordered....

We call that "off season training". 

2016-10-31 9:23 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
An almost nice swim this morning with masters class--2000m, interrupted at 1000m by coach pulling me out of the pool to show me video of my stroke. It is useful, but man do I hate watching myself on video! Interrupted again about about 1250m by dude in my lane swimming down wrong side and slamming into me head first. WTF? Seriously, this guy has a pretty consistent problem where he is always swimming down the middle of the lane, but today he was actually on the left side of the lane (from his perspective) and swam right into me head on. I have a huge goose-egg on my forehead and an abrasion on my forehead from his weird swim cap (it is made out of burlap or some weird nonsense). Another lady in our lane said he almost hit her too, but she saw him and stopped before he made contact. I get that everyone makes mistakes, especially in the slow lane, but he didn't even apologize!

2016-10-31 10:00 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

An almost nice swim this morning with masters class--2000m, interrupted at 1000m by coach pulling me out of the pool to show me video of my stroke. It is useful, but man do I hate watching myself on video! Interrupted again about about 1250m by dude in my lane swimming down wrong side and slamming into me head first. WTF? Seriously, this guy has a pretty consistent problem where he is always swimming down the middle of the lane, but today he was actually on the left side of the lane (from his perspective) and swam right into me head on. I have a huge goose-egg on my forehead and an abrasion on my forehead from his weird swim cap (it is made out of burlap or some weird nonsense). Another lady in our lane said he almost hit her too, but she saw him and stopped before he made contact. I get that everyone makes mistakes, especially in the slow lane, but he didn't even apologize!

Wow! That sure puts a damper on a workout! And it's frustrating that it is a regular thing. You'd think after hitting a couple people he would try to be more aware. Maybe he doesn't understand lane etiquette and thinks you're in the wrong.
2016-10-31 11:16 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by drfoodlove An almost nice swim this morning with masters class--2000m, interrupted at 1000m by coach pulling me out of the pool to show me video of my stroke. It is useful, but man do I hate watching myself on video! Interrupted again about about 1250m by dude in my lane swimming down wrong side and slamming into me head first. WTF? Seriously, this guy has a pretty consistent problem where he is always swimming down the middle of the lane, but today he was actually on the left side of the lane (from his perspective) and swam right into me head on. I have a huge goose-egg on my forehead and an abrasion on my forehead from his weird swim cap (it is made out of burlap or some weird nonsense). Another lady in our lane said he almost hit her too, but she saw him and stopped before he made contact. I get that everyone makes mistakes, especially in the slow lane, but he didn't even apologize!
Wow! That sure puts a damper on a workout! And it's frustrating that it is a regular thing. You'd think after hitting a couple people he would try to be more aware. Maybe he doesn't understand lane etiquette and thinks you're in the wrong.

If I had a dollar for every time someone at our pool(s) didn't observe lane etiquette, or heck even common sense (or even was actually swimming vs. just hanging on the wall chit chatting taking up the only lap lane available...). </rant>

That stinks - hope your head is OK.  I've run head-first a couple of times - OUCH!!

2016-10-31 11:32 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

He is a pretty self absorbed guy. I guarantee that he thinks it is my fault (even though I was clearly pushed up against the lane line). He insists on going first in the lane for all sets, even though he is no where near the fastest person (we set him straight, but it comes up, every. single. day.). Etc. There are about 100 examples I could provide, but I won't. The only relief we have is when his wife swims too. She totally sets him straight. It is fun to watch.
2016-10-31 3:18 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Working in some core yoga classes the last couple of Fridays, two swims this week and some weights and other core work. I'm looking into trying acupuncture to work with my muscle issue. The acupuncturist I know is also a triathlete, has done a couple of Ironmans - trying to qualify for Kona, etc. He's helped folks with piriformis syndrome so maybe he can help get me over the edge and on the final road to recovery. We shall see.

Had to edit - case of Bordeaux just ordered....

Need some help with the Bordeaux?? Too bad we are too far away, I got today from a very special patient a case of Vega Sicilia, we could do some wine tasting!

Juan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6327 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17387 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.