BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2016-03-21 10:50 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Felt like last week was a success, I took Thursday off, had to put a dog down, kind of took the wind out of my sails. Was able to rebound and run a race this weekend with my girlfriend. We did the 15k Hot chocolate Run in San Diego. It was a great race, had some hills and was challenging. I really enjoyed the chocolate and marshmallows on course.

Does anybody else have the weight raise after a race? Like four to five pounds. (yes I know I had chocolate on the course, but we are talking about 2 marshmallows and 5 m&ms. Weighed in this morning plus pounds form Friday and felt like it should go that way. Looking forward to the next 4 days of working out.

Having Fun All the Time Now.

John

2016-03-21 1:14 PM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by johndiaz00 Felt like last week was a success, I took Thursday off, had to put a dog down, kind of took the wind out of my sails. Was able to rebound and run a race this weekend with my girlfriend. We did the 15k Hot chocolate Run in San Diego. It was a great race, had some hills and was challenging. I really enjoyed the chocolate and marshmallows on course. Does anybody else have the weight raise after a race? Like four to five pounds. (yes I know I had chocolate on the course, but we are talking about 2 marshmallows and 5 m&ms. Weighed in this morning plus pounds form Friday and felt like it should go that way. Looking forward to the next 4 days of working out. Having Fun All the Time Now. John

Hot chocolate races are fun. YES, I always gain weight after a big effort. I would assume it is from muscles and organs holding more water to repair and recoup.

It goes away as long a you don't over eat.

2016-03-21 4:43 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
WALK
  • 1h 04m 34s
  • 3.70 miles
  • 17m 27s /Mi

18/21 - Had to skip the swim this morning, school reasons. So when I got home today I went a windy, chilly walk up Heart Attack Hill. Happy with the pace.

2016-03-22 5:13 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Can barely walk today, much less do any training.  Tweaked my back in the shower this morning and almost needed to call the wife to help me straighten up and get out.  Went to work, but not my usual energetic, round-the-room teaching style today.  Sat in my chair, at my desk, and clicked power point keys, that was ALL she wrote.  Went to chiropractor after school and got tuned up.  Hopefully will feel loads better tomorrow.

2016-03-23 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Progress.  Still hobbled, but less so.

2016-03-24 2:56 AM

User image

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Progress.  Still hobbled, but less so.

Hope you have a speedy recovery

2016-03-27 4:22 PM

User image

Hi All,

I've been a bit disinterested in training this week so I sat down and reviewed my approach. I think a lot of that stems from the fact that my first race isn't until November.

I had 2 gym sessions and 3 runs during the week.

My Walk / Run program is progressing steadily so I decided to enter a 5 km fun run in July. It must have meant to be because the week of the run is when I'm scheduled to do my first 5 km run non stop. My weight loss has flat lined over the last few weeks too so I've revisited my diet.

I did consider taking a week off training but I decided that changing a few routines would be more helpful.

Looking forward to starting my new (part time) job during the coming week and planning to still get all of my workouts completed.

How is everybody? It's been a quiet week on the forum for us.
2016-03-28 7:30 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

What's happening all? I had a crappy training week. I missed workouts for being with a friend while her mom was in the hospital. Then I got into something poison in the yard (or allergic to) that covered me in a rash from top to bottom. I spent 2 days, including Easter, in a benadryl sleep-coma. Of the few workouts I got in, I got my best swim ever in. 1.76 miles at 2:20/ 100) .

Off to the pool and the trainer today.

2016-03-28 2:36 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

I had my best week of training so far post HIM.

Ran every day for 35km in 4 hours. 1 1000m swim in 20 minutes and a bike ride on Sturday. For a total of just over 6 hours on the week.

Diet was mixed this week, a loss of about 1lb for the week, but still up on 2 weeks ago.

This week is the same plan as last, run every day, a ride on the weekend and get to the pool once or twice during the week. And of course, as always, make better choices about what I eat...
2016-03-29 10:12 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Hi Everyone!

Been a while, but things are going fairly well. The sun is shining in Vancouver, so I can't complain!

Spent most of February sick, only to start with the workouts again for two weeks, only to get sick again with a cold. I think the remaining symptoms of stuffed up sinuses might be allergies? This year has been horrible for colds, and it's been a downer on my training schedule!

My week typically looks like:

Saturday and Sunday Ride and a brick if there is time (i'm a bit lazy on the brick workouts)
Monday Swim
Tuesday Run
Wednesday Swim
Thursday Run
Friday OFF

repeat.

So far this week, I've gotten the two rides in. I made the silly mistake of riding in white rock on the easter weekend...when it's sunny. Oye. Stay away from that place when it's sunny, and a weekend or holiday! I think I will be riding 0ave most of my weekends, unless i switch my swim around and ride Mondays when everyone is at work.

Weight is staying fairly steady. I lost about 6 pounds originally, but I've been hovering there for about a month now. I've seen a nutritionist/dietitian and I'm trying to find some new healthy whole foods recipes. No processed foods. So i'm on the hunt for some good cooking books, preferably ones wtih pictures! Found this site called paleoleap.com....not that i'm switching totally to paleo, but made the sweet potato tacos last night for dinner. Delicious!

Today, my plan is to try a run. I've had a bit of a phlegmy cough all weekend, but I've got to give it a go sometime!

Happy Training everyone
2016-03-29 10:14 AM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Originally posted by ceilidh

What's happening all? I had a crappy training week. I missed workouts for being with a friend while her mom was in the hospital. Then I got into something poison in the yard (or allergic to) that covered me in a rash from top to bottom. I spent 2 days, including Easter, in a benadryl sleep-coma. Of the few workouts I got in, I got my best swim ever in. 1.76 miles at 2:20/ 100) .

Off to the pool and the trainer today.

That sounds horrible! I broke out in hives once for 5 months straight and lived on that stuff. I feel your pain! Nice swim by the way

2016-04-02 2:42 AM
in reply to: RunnyBunny

User image

Hi All

I've written up a summary of my year to date and thought I'd share it with you.

My New Year’s Resolution was to complete a series of triathlon races in the 2016/17 season. I’m aiming to compete in 8 – 10 Enticer races where the distances build as the season progresses. If I can complete these I’ll look to step up to Sprint / HIM the following year. To achieve this goal I will need to lose weight, strengthen my knees to support me during the run, improve my fitness, endurance and skills in all disciplines.

I developed a plan to meet those goals and set up a process to measure and record progress. The approach I have taken is to create 4 phases of 3 months duration with each phase having its own main focus as follows: Phase 1 (January – March): Start Moving Again, Phase 2 (April – June): Improve on Technique, Phase 3 (July – September): Build Strength & Phase 4 (October – December): Be Race Ready

I’ve taken a series of baseline measures to determine my starting point and then looked at the previous results for my age group of the races I intend to enter to determine where I want to be. I’m not aiming for a podium finish but I would like to be competitive and certainly not just making up the numbers.

Prior to starting this training I led a reasonably active lifestyle working in the garden, regularly walking and cycling and I also enjoyed an occasional game of golf. These could be considered leisure activities rather than exercise as I did not work up a sweat. The focus of Phase 1 was to Start Moving Again and more than anything else I wanted to lose weight then prepare my body, particularly my knees for training and endurance.

My starting weight as at 1 January was 100 Kg (220 lb) and my target weight at the end of Phase 1 on 31 March was 94 Kg (207lb). I weighed in at 95 Kg (209 lb) at the end of March and while this is just short of my target I’m very pleased with the progress so far. I’ve also lost 10 cms (4 inches) from my waist and my “man boobs” have shrunk considerably.

The swim is my weakest discipline and the area I have spent the least amount of time training on. At this stage, more benefits could be gained by spending time in the gym, cycling and running. I aim to get 2 -3 swims a week completed during Phase 2.

The bike is my strongest discipline and I’m fortunate that close to home there is an outdoor velodrome and a good network of bike paths to train on without having to dodge any traffic. I’m ahead of schedule on the bike as my target by end of Phase 1 was to complete 10 Km in 25 minutes and I can do it in 23 minutes.

The run has been my favourite discipline during Phase 1 as I have seen some significant improvements in time to run 2 Km and the distance I can run nonstop. I’ve been training 3 times a week with a mix of treadmill and outdoor runs. I have been using a walk/run program and started running 1 minute and walking 4 minutes. At the end of phase 1 I’m running 3 minutes and walking 1 minute. My target by end of Phase 1 was (run/walk) 2 Km in 18 minutes and run nonstop for 1200 metres and I’ve completed 2 Km in 13 minutes 18 seconds and run nonstop for 2000 metres.

The things that have worked well for me so far are join a local gym that’s open 24 x 7 and is less than a 10 minute walk from home. I really don’t have any excuses to miss a session due to time constraints. The trainer gave me a program that has helped improve my body tone, strength and endurance.

I changed my diet to 6 meals a day with each meal making up 300 calories. This reduced the number of snacks I needed as I was eating regularly and I avoided a lot of binge eating.

I joined a group that does a 5 Km circuit that includes 1000 steps / stairs and takes about an hour. That has been good to work up a sweat, test the lungs and legs.

The run/walk program is working for me and I enjoy the simplicity of putting on my running shoes and heading out the door.
Now that the bike and run are under control I will focus on improving my swim ability and endurance. I really need to get to the pool and start swimming.

Most of all its been a lot of fun training and as a bonus I’ve met some nice people to train with.
2016-04-03 8:17 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Not as good a week as last week. Life got in the way again a little bit

1 pool swim 1000m in 20 minutes,
1 bike ride on the weekend about 90 minutes
and 5 runs for 30km in 3:30

Diet was poor. Too many bad decisions made. Especially afternoon snacking on the way home. With the end result being a slight increase of about half a pound.

My totals for March were:
Run, 134.8km 15:22:20
Bike 93.7km, 4:09:00
Swim 2,000m 0:41:09

For a total of 30 hours and 22 minutes. Which I'm not unhappy with for the post half ironman training month. I'm not ecstatic, I would have liked a bit more but an hour a day average isn't too bad. I definitely haven't totally let myself go like I did last time.

However, Wanaka is long gone history now. So it's time to start stepping things up again.
2016-04-03 8:29 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi All

I've written up a summary of my year to date and thought I'd share it with you.

That's a nice summery of your year to date, you clearly have a good plan in place and are well on your way to meeting your goals.

I'm with you 100% on running being the favorite due to it's simplicity, and accessibility. It's so easy to head out the door (or the door of the hotel if i'm away for work) and have a run. No need to go somewhere specific like a pool, or have to deal with the logistics and equipment needed for a bike, let alone dodging traffic. I have no plans to switch back to a single sport, but if I had to choose only one to do, it would be running and it wouldn't take a 2nd thought.

But, like I've said before on this forum, you can't fake the swim. Troubles on the swim mean end of the race for you. 2-3 swims a week for your stage 2 is a great step. I really think that you need to make these workouts your priority, at lest until you are comfortable with the distance, in open water.
2016-04-04 11:57 AM

User image

That's an awesome review, thanks for posting it. Keep it up, I especially like the epeople you meet on the trail, in the pool, or on the rode. I met a great person this weekend in a sandwich shop still wearing her bib from a 10k that morning. Struck up a great conversation.

Glad to see advances in your fitness and health, that is greatly encouraging.

2016-04-04 12:11 PM

User image

March totals:
Swim: 2h 46m 18s - 5750 Yd Bike: 7h 11m 58s - 107.6 Mi Run: 6h 27m 47s - 27.84 M

I will see more of the same for April: Although I have two races planned for April, one 1/2 in Hollywood, and a Sprint Tri (Possibilities in Loma Linda, Ca), later in the month. Really using the second to gauge myself for this season. If I hit my goals on the Tri, I will re-assess my racing. My original plan was to run 12 1/2 marathons in 12 months. If the tri goes well, I may have to add a couple of serious tris to my schedule.

I also am happy to tell you I have started my 2 a day workout regimen. I did a bike then swim yesterday, and swam this morning with a workout planned this evening. My whole goal this year is to stay injury free. So, I have been ramping up my totals slowly. Putting in strength training when I can, and doing less running. I am also eating differently. Changing my eating habits and making them just that habits. (THIS IS HARDEST FOR ME). BUT, I am seeing results. In March I lost 6.2 pounds. Not as much as I wanted to lose honestly but very happy, as I feel better, and stronger.

So, April is a new month and totally looking forward to working hard.

2016-04-05 1:35 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Originally posted by bulfrog

But, like I've said before on this forum, you can't fake the swim. Troubles on the swim mean end of the race for you. 2-3 swims a week for your stage 2 is a great step. I really think that you need to make these workouts your priority, at lest until you are comfortable with the distance, in open water.

Agreed. I went for a swim last night. Our State Government has a program called "Active April". As part of that program I got a pass at the local pool for 10 free sessions. NO EXCUSES now.
2016-04-05 1:40 AM

User image

Originally posted by johndiaz00

March totals:
Swim: 2h 46m 18s - 5750 Yd Bike: 7h 11m 58s - 107.6 Mi Run: 6h 27m 47s - 27.84 M

I will see more of the same for April: Although I have two races planned for April, one 1/2 in Hollywood, and a Sprint Tri (Possibilities in Loma Linda, Ca), later in the month. Really using the second to gauge myself for this season. If I hit my goals on the Tri, I will re-assess my racing. My original plan was to run 12 1/2 marathons in 12 months. If the tri goes well, I may have to add a couple of serious tris to my schedule.

I also am happy to tell you I have started my 2 a day workout regimen. I did a bike then swim yesterday, and swam this morning with a workout planned this evening. My whole goal this year is to stay injury free. So, I have been ramping up my totals slowly. Putting in strength training when I can, and doing less running. I am also eating differently. Changing my eating habits and making them just that habits. (THIS IS HARDEST FOR ME). BUT, I am seeing results. In March I lost 6.2 pounds. Not as much as I wanted to lose honestly but very happy, as I feel better, and stronger.

So, April is a new month and totally looking forward to working hard.

Great results in March. Keep up the good work.

Despite my ambitions I find 2 workouts a day, every day is too much. Do you have any scheduled rest days?

Today is my scheduled rest day and I'm having "withdrawal symptoms" from training but my body will thank me and I'll enthusiastically get back into it tomorrow.
2016-04-05 10:44 AM

User image

Oh rest is imperative, I usually schedule 3 days of workouts two days rest, and so one. I work on a ten day cycle this way. Rest is very important, I even try very hard to make sure to even rest body parts on consecutive days. So , I did swimming and a full body weight workout yesterday. This morning was weights arms (specifically biceps and triceps). Tonight I plan to run for 30 to 45 minutes. Tomorrow will be bike only. Thursday and Friday i am off, and I have a 1/2 marathon planned Saturday. I will use swimming as a recovering method on Sunday. With lots of stretching and spa and sauna time.
Next week, I will have to see how I respond to the 1/2 marathon. I planned to put in only 80% at the race. I have been gearing these up slowly too.

Thanks for the comment, Saturday morning, I will be amped to run the race. One of my biggest struggles though is getting to a race and flying out of the start. So, I am really trying ot set slow goals for myself. If I hit the 5k mark too fast, I will be upset. Plus, this race finishes with more hills near the end.

Enjoy your rest day,

John
2016-04-06 1:22 AM

User image

2016-04-07 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all an AWOL fly-by.

I am home from the non-race, Vacation of Illness.  Of course, to top things off, I am still not well. I can eat, bland stuff, but food non-the-less. But I have chills and aches. So.... viral something? I do not know. I am so damn far behind in my training I am not sure I can catch up. I will, however, try. This is a huge volume week. I am gonna take the rest of it and make an "as much volume as I can do without hurting myself more" week and then see where I am later. I have determined I am race-cursed. Heck, at the Ocala race, it was all I could do to get up and just watch my friends race. I would have died trying it.

as an aside, it is really sad that the HITS races seem to be very diminished on all levels with the change in race director. I can only speak for this race, but having been before and now, the difference is night and day. Sad because it is such a great opportunity for all levels of folks to get to race at the same time.

2016-04-07 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I just found this group, a little too late.

I was on BT for a long time and participated in mentoring groups.
After a year of injury and surgery, I am trying to get back into it.

I know this mentor season is almost over. Will this group come back for the summer?
2016-04-08 7:07 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Lovey I just found this group, a little too late. I was on BT for a long time and participated in mentoring groups. After a year of injury and surgery, I am trying to get back into it. I know this mentor season is almost over. Will this group come back for the summer?

Hey Tracy! good to see you back! I am sorry about the surgery, but glad you are back again. This group hangs around all year then re-forms the next year. You can stay as long as you like.

2016-04-08 10:26 PM

User image

Robin

How disappointing to be unable to race due to illness and have your vacation plans ruined. Hope you feel better soon

Lovey

Welcome to the group. I remember you from Todd's group a year or two ago.

I'm temporarily out of action due to a calf strain earlier in the week. I was doing a brick session and had completed the bike and was 600 m into the run when it felt like a cramp in my calf. It didn't go away so I put a compression bandage on it for 2 days which helped. Hope to hit the pool in the next day or two and do some upper body work at the gym until the leg is 100%.
2016-04-10 8:03 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all. Happy Sunday!

I got back into training yesterday. My plan is really, really high volume now. So what I decided to do is do the time required at the intensity I can do (which was next to nothing yesterday). I will add the intensity back as I get better. Yesterday was a 3:30 trainer ride and a 3 mile walk/run. I was supposed to be doing a 7 mile run so I didn't get close to the time on that. It was all I could do and that is a lot of time training when I have been doing nothing for a week and a half. Today is a strength day and if I get done and the winds have died, I'll get out and weed some of the beds in the yard.

Have great days all!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED POSTS

Seeking MENTORS for 2016 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 1337 Posts: 4

2015-12-23 10:29 PM alicefoeller

2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37

Started by chirunner134
Views: 41505 Posts: 914

2016-01-08 2:46 PM ceilidh

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54579 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2116 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8749 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?